Want to know how to make one heck of a delicious chicken dish?

Good. Because I was going to tell you anyway.

First up.

Chop up some jalapenos and other good stuff. Saute them in a little butter. Don’t stick your face over the pot. That is… unless you want to feel what it’s like for your entire head to burst into flames.

Caramelize some chicken. Yesss…. caramelize it. No secret over here that I like to caramelize, well… everything. I want to caramelize my life.

Then that whole jalapeno saute thing? Turn it into a creamy sauce. A fairly lighter creamy sauce, that is. Yep yep yep. It can be done.

Dump that sauce all over the CARAMELIZED chicken.

Mmmm. Let’s say it again. Caramelize.

Comfort food at it’s finest!

Isn’t that what life is all about? At least mine is.

And don’t worry about this meal being super spicy because frankly – it’s not. Not at all. The jalapenos are seeded and you simply get a touch of heat at the end of each bite. Just a leeeetle tiny bit. The flavor just about punches you in face though, so uh… watch out for that.

Caramelized Chicken with Jalapeno Cream

serves 4

4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts

1 teaspoon salt

1 teaspoon pepper

2 tablespoons canola oil

2 jalapenos, seeded and chopped

1 shallot, sliced

2 garlic cloves, minced

2 tablespoons butter

1 tablespoon flour (any kind will do, I used whole wheat)

1/4 cup low-fat or skim milk

1 12-ounce can fat-free evaporated milk

2 tablespoons finely grated parmesan cheese

Add chopped jalapenos, shallots and garlic to a food processor and pulse until very finely chopped (not pureed). Set aside.

Tenderize chicken breasts if desired and pat completely dry with paper towels. Season on both sides with salt and pepper. Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat and add 1 tablespoon canola oil. Once the oil is hot, add chicken breasts (make sure they are COMPLETELY DRY) and cook for about 8-10 minutes per side, until each side is caramelized and golden. If needed, use the remaining canola oil when flipping the chicken.

While the chicken is cooking, heat a small saucepan over medium heat and add butter. Once sizzling, add in the chopped jalapeno mixture, stirring to coat, and cook for 2-3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Once fragrant (do NOT put your face directly over the jalapenos!), whisk in flour and stir continuously to create a roux. Cook mixture for 1-2 minutes, then add in milks, reducing the heat to medium-low. Continue to stir continuously until mixture begins to thicken (about 6-8 minutes), adding in parmesan cheese and reducing the heat even more. Once the desired thickness has been reached, turn off heat. Stir every so often – it may thicken even more while sitting – and you can add additional milk to thin it out if needed. Taste and season with salt and pepper as desired.

Serve chicken over rice, vegetables or pasta and top with jalapeno cream. This reheated beautifully for us!

Note: I got the idea to try out evaporated milk from Pam’s recent video post

P.S. you can’t even imagine how amazing that rice up there gets with the cream and stuff… oh mylanta.

219 Responses to “Caramelized Chicken with Jalapeno Cream.”

Erika - The Teenage Taste — January 9, 2012 @ 8:02 am

Oh my gosh, that jalapeno cream. <3 <3 <3
    It just looks SO good. I'm speechless…

heather — January 9, 2012 @ 8:04 am

I love jalapeno! This looks a-freakin’-mazing!!

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga — January 9, 2012 @ 8:05 am

I just want the jalepeno cream. Sounds awesome!

Ali @ Peaches and Football — January 9, 2012 @ 8:06 am

Jalapeno cream? I bet my boyfriend would *love* this. He’s always throwing hot sauce on top of everything to give it a little kick. I think he’d enjoy this!

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey — January 9, 2012 @ 8:10 am

Love jalepenos! I have rubbed my eyes too many times to count after cutting hot peppers. #stupid

The Mrs @ Success Along the Weigh — January 9, 2012 @ 8:14 am

Uh oh, I think I shall be putting jalapeno cream on EVERYTHING!

Aimee @ ShugarySweets — January 9, 2012 @ 8:17 am

I totally want to slurp up that jalapeno cream. Sounds divine!

Elizabeth @TheBareMidriff — January 9, 2012 @ 8:17 am

I’ve totally put my face over a pan of sauteeing hot peppers before – your description of your head being on fire is right! It goes in right through your nose and quickly takes over your whole sinus cavity. The pain we go through for good food…

Bev Weidner — January 9, 2012 @ 8:18 am

a) I was JUST thinking the other how no one ever says “oh mylanta” anymore.

b) And you’ve just freaked me out.

c) I’ll be leaving in the seeds because I like my face to SWEAT OFF during meals.

d) This looks so pimp.

Kim in MD — January 9, 2012 @ 8:24 am

Oh my…I want this for breakfast! Seriously, this looks so delicious. I love that the cream sauce is pretty healthy, too. Well, at least compared to cream sauce made with whipping cream! I can’t wait to try this recipe. I love that plate, Jessica!

Blog is the New Black — January 9, 2012 @ 8:50 am

Awesome idea to make a jalapeno sauce… delish!

Melissa — January 9, 2012 @ 8:51 am

I must’ve had a premonition at the store yesterday because I picked up a can of evaporated milk. I have never in my life purchased evaporated milk, so I have no idea what compelled me. I believe that Jalapeno Cream is my fate!!!

Heather (Heather's Dish) — January 9, 2012 @ 8:54 am

you know, there are days that you make things and i’m so excited and in aw that i just don’t have any words to say.

maybe it’s because it’s freaking early but today is one of those days.

WANT.

Erica — January 9, 2012 @ 8:55 am

Jessica! This may be my favorite recipe of yours yet! Book marked it and sending it to my in laws! Yum! Love a little heat

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat — January 9, 2012 @ 8:57 am

Yumm! I never used to buy jalapenos because I thought they’d be blow-your-head-off spicy, but then I realized that removing the seeds totally does the trick. Now I just have to remember NOT to rub my eyes after chopping them, and I definitely learned that one the hard way! I anticipate dreaming about jalapeno cream later today…. :)

• Jessica — January 9th, 2012 @ 9:13 am

Oh me too…

Kathryn — January 9, 2012 @ 9:02 am

Anything that starts with jalapenos is going to be a winning recipe in my book!

Kelly — January 9, 2012 @ 9:07 am

Okay here’s my problem. Whenever I try to cook a protein on the stove top I end up burning the outside (while the inside is still cold) and my house fills with smoke. It aint pretty….what am I doing wrong?

• Jessica — January 9th, 2012 @ 9:14 am

Are you using olive oil? It doesn’t have a very high smoke point so it will burn before your food can fully cook! The key is to use an oil with a high smoke point and to make sure the meat is TOTALLY dry!

• Kelly — January 9th, 2012 @ 9:20 am

Yes, I do always use olive oil…that must be the problem! Thank you!!

• Stella — January 12th, 2012 @ 9:24 am

I made this recipe last night and (used olive oil) and the house totally filled up with smoke. In fact, the smoke alarm went off. Twice. The chicken still cooked okay – I like a little char on the outside, but man was it smokey. Must be the olive oil. Interesting!

• Jessica — January 12th, 2012 @ 9:34 am

Yep, the olive oil doesn’t have a high smoke point!

• janetha — February 27th, 2012 @ 9:52 pm

interesting! i used olive oil just now and yep, smoky. good to know!

Gen — January 9, 2012 @ 9:16 am

That looks delicious!!!!!!! Anything with the words “caramelized” and “jalapeno cream” in the title is a win! :D Quick question though; they don’t sell evaporated milk here….is there anything I could use instead? light cream, maybe?

• Jessica — January 9th, 2012 @ 9:20 am

Yes! You could use any kind of cream, half and half, even whole milk!

Victoria (District Chocoholic) — January 9, 2012 @ 9:17 am

I think I could eat jalapeno cream on anything. Perhaps on cheese.

Lauren at Keep It Sweet — January 9, 2012 @ 9:19 am

I’m pretty sure I’d love caramelized anything!

Sally @ Spontaneous Hausfrau — January 9, 2012 @ 9:20 am

Oh, I bet that rice IS delicious soaking up all that glorious sauce. I like the idea of how it’s lightened up. I may be tempted to add some cilantro to it, too, because I just can’t leave well enough alone.

• Jessica — January 9th, 2012 @ 9:21 am

I think that sounds amazing, but I’m obsessed with cilantro.

• janetha — February 27th, 2012 @ 9:53 pm

YES! adding cilantro!

katie @KatieDid — January 9, 2012 @ 9:22 am

oh my this looks so great. Cream sauce anything I’m there.

Lynne @ 365 Days of Baking — January 9, 2012 @ 9:25 am

Mmmmm…I think that jalapeno cream would be a good thing…and caramelized chicken…mmmhhhmmmmm….
    Oh, and I LOVE that red plate!

Sarah S. — January 9, 2012 @ 9:52 am

This looks so good and my husband would totally approve. And I love the DJ Tanner reference at the end!

Cookbook Queen — January 9, 2012 @ 10:29 am

Gah. I want to swim in that sauce!!

Except it might hurt my eyes. And other stuff.

Emilie @ Emilie's Enjoyables — January 9, 2012 @ 10:43 am

Definitely will have to give this a try! I’m always looking for ways to jazz up chicken since we eat it entirely too much.

Jennalee — January 9, 2012 @ 10:46 am

This looks amazing. We had thousands of jalapenos from our 20 or so jalapeno plants in our garden this past season. Going to have to try this next season when we have more fresh jalapenos…if I can wait that long.

Rachel @ Not Rachael Ray — January 9, 2012 @ 10:47 am

Oh man this looks like a definite winner!

Gina @ Running to the Kitchen — January 9, 2012 @ 11:03 am

I just love that you said “oh mylanta” in this post. Classic. ;)

Erin — January 9, 2012 @ 11:14 am

I just lost all motivation to do anything today except to make this.

Cait's Plate — January 9, 2012 @ 11:19 am

Oh yes, that is absolutely comfort food at it’s finest!! That looks so perfect right now…is 10:26am too early for lunch? :)

Hilliary @Happily Ever Healthy — January 9, 2012 @ 11:34 am

Oh yum, that Jalapeno sauce sounds amazing! Love spicy foods!

janetha — January 9, 2012 @ 11:42 am

oh this is happening on next week’s meal plan.

Stephanie — January 9, 2012 @ 11:51 am

genius! the fiancee would love this. huge fan of the add cilantro idea too. i was just saying i needed a chicken recipe. i love how you read our minds.

kayleigh — January 9, 2012 @ 11:58 am

um, i need this now. and i have no car and no jalapenos. i’m totally walking to the grocery store. i love you. ahaha.

Amanda Oliver — January 9, 2012 @ 12:08 pm

Jessica,
    Hi! I have been a lurker for about a year! I read your blog every morning as soon as I get to work, love it! This looks delish, what kind of rice did you use?

• Jessica — January 9th, 2012 @ 1:06 pm

Thanks so much Amanda!! I just used some brown rice that my husband had actually made and stashed in the fridge a few days prior. I don’t love rice (would rather have potatoes or something) so I don’t really have a brand I can say I love, except I do really like jasmine rice!

stephchows — January 9, 2012 @ 12:13 pm

Me and jalapenos… I always get the oil everywhere and then 5 minutes later I’m dying from the burn LOL

Stacy — January 9, 2012 @ 12:18 pm

YUM! Do you have room for me to just move in to your house?

• Jessica — January 9th, 2012 @ 1:06 pm

Oh yes, especially if you do dishes.

Becky — January 9, 2012 @ 12:34 pm

Yum! This dish looks divine – I’ll definitely have to make it myself! :)

Katie — January 9, 2012 @ 12:39 pm

I love that you said “oh mylanta” – I say that all the time.

Also, can I be a part of your caramelized life?

• Jessica — January 9th, 2012 @ 1:05 pm

Obviously!

Bianca @ Confessions of a Chocoholic — January 9, 2012 @ 12:44 pm

Caramelizing is one of the keys to happiness! And jalapenos. And cream. Awesome recipe!

Heidi @ Food Doodles — January 9, 2012 @ 12:58 pm

That looks incredible! Creamy sauce over chicken is SUCH comfort food – it totally reminds me of my childhood. Although the only creamy sauce I ever had over chicken as a kid was nasty cream of mushroom soup from a can – yuck! I’d take this any day!

Cat @Breakfast to Bed — January 9, 2012 @ 1:14 pm

I just want to dip pretzels in that sauce. Actually, I’m going to make it a dip. Yes. Yes I am.

Mrs. Zoom — January 9, 2012 @ 2:04 pm

My hubby requires that I add jalapenos to every single dish I cook him (including baked potatoes), this is RIGHT up his alley!

Katie @ Peace Love & Oats — January 9, 2012 @ 2:10 pm

I didn’t even know you could caramalize chicken!?!?

• Jessica — January 9th, 2012 @ 5:08 pm

Oh yes. Get on it.

Quiche-ing Queen — January 9, 2012 @ 2:29 pm

Any dish with jalapeños in it excited my guy. I think he would love this. I can’t wait to try this sometime.

Ryan — January 9, 2012 @ 2:29 pm

OMG this sounds delish! Will be making this for dinner Wednesday!

Jo-Lyn's Cup Cakes N' Candies — January 9, 2012 @ 2:48 pm

That looks really good! I dont think it’s really all that unhealthy either what with the low fat and fat-free milks and such! ;)

• Jessica — January 9th, 2012 @ 5:08 pm

Definitely not! I consider this healthy. :)

Amy — January 9, 2012 @ 3:14 pm

Delish Jessica! What a way to turn a plain ole chicken breast into something yum!

Heather @ Run Eat Play — January 9, 2012 @ 4:53 pm

This chicken looks amazing. I am going to try it out for my husband. He would love it!

1 2 3 4

1. Pingback: Caramelized Chicken with Jalapeno Cream | How Sweet It Is | Organic Rapeseed Oil

2. Pingback: It’s not summer, but I have Summer Squash | Peanut Butter and Peppers

3. Pingback: Food/Cooking/Drinks by jrsimcox - Pearltrees

15. Pingback: twosie tuesday. - meals & moves | meals & moves

16. Pingback: Friday Five, Oh Right, That. | A Merry Life

17. Pingback: february favorites

18. Pingback: Dish dirtier « Fire Breathing Kayla

19. Pingback: Sweet jalapenos | Shopalotzstore

20. Pingback: Grilled Chicken w/ Roasted Jalapeno Cream | ♥ ms.blt

21. Pingback: Chicken with Jalapeno Cream - Weight Watchers | The Slender Kitchen

22. Pingback: Summer Squash and Zucchini Saute

23. Pingback: Caramelized Chicken with Jalapeno Cream | Home Recipes Catalog

24. Pingback: Caramelized Chicken with Mushroom Jalapeño Cream Sauce and Cilantro Brown Rice | Mr. and Mrs. Playing House

25. Pingback: Caramelized Chicken with Jalapeno Cream | What2Cook