I apologize for the amount of times I’m going to punch you in the face with citrus this week.

But not really.

It hurts, I know.

Citrus is just so so so good.

I find oranges, lemons, limes and the like to be one of the most powerful game changers: they flavor dishes so deeply and so differently that it knocks your socks off. Sort of like caramelized onions. Or smoked sea salt. Or… brown butter? Without all the calories. Wait. What are calories?

Oooooh and they also are a main ingredient in margaritas. Citrus, not calories. Silly. I can ride that gravy train.

Take my husband for example. When I first met him, he ate plain ground turkey. Plain egg whites. Plain chicken. Plain everything. The man didn’t live, I tell you.

Granted once we started dating he had a constant supply of cheese in his fridge and gained like 20 pounds, but whatever. He needed it.

Seriously, now stop whatever it is that you’re doing. I mean, I’m sure it’s not important, like going to work or exercising or whatever. Psssh. You don’t need that. But you DO need to go buy some tilapia and make this for lunch. Okay, okay… dinner works too. If you are out of breadcrumbs, you can keep it crumbless a la honey lime tilapia and add the salsa on top. But whatever you do… promise me you are making the salsa. Today, today I say!

Citrus Crusted Tilapia

serves 2-4

4 fresh (or thawed) tilapia filets

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/2 teaspoon pepper

3/4 cup panko bread crumbs

1/4 cup whole wheat flour

1/3 cup seasoned bread crumbs

the zest of 2 blood oranges, 1 lime and 1 lemon

pinch of salt

2 egg whites, lightly beaten

Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil, place a wire rack on top, and spray the wire rack with nonstick spray. In a large bowl, add bread crumbs, flour, citrus zest and pinch of salt. In another bowl, lightly beat egg whites.

Season each piece of tilapia with salt and pepper. Dip each piece of tilapia in beaten egg whites, then coat with citrus breadcrumbs, pressing to adhere. Place on the wire rack and spray lightly with nonstick spray.

Bake for 15-18 minutes, or until breadcrumbs are golden.

Blood Orange Salsa

[adapted from perry's plate!]

2 blood oranges, segmented and chopped

1 clementine, segmented and chopped

2 tablespoons chopped red onion

1/2 jalapeno, chopped

2 tablespoons freshly chopped cilantro

pinch of salt

Combine all ingredients together and mix. Let sit for 30 minutes so the flavors marry. Yum!

Oh and make a margarita too.

103 Responses to “Citrus Crusted Tilapia with Blood Orange Salsa.”

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga — January 11, 2012 @ 7:59 am

You’re really on a blood orange kick…and I love it! The salsa is gorgeous and I bet the tilapia is fabulous. I love that the salsa has no garlic in it and limited added sodium…thank you!

Ali @ Peaches and Football — January 11, 2012 @ 8:02 am

I love the colors! The salsa adds such a “wow” factor to the dish! Beautiful.

Don’t apologize for the citrus either – heck that’s what’s in season right now! Gotta embrace that :-)

Kelly — January 11, 2012 @ 8:06 am

I am loving your citrus kick! This looks really good!

Maria — January 11, 2012 @ 8:10 am

Gosh I really do need to buy these oranges huh?!

Aimee @ ShugarySweets — January 11, 2012 @ 8:11 am

I just happen to have some tilapia in the fridge that I bought yesterday. Coincidence? I think not!

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey — January 11, 2012 @ 8:11 am

Keep that citrus coming – it’s so good right now!

heather — January 11, 2012 @ 8:14 am

Ooh I love blood oranges. Delicious!

Erika - The Teenage Taste — January 11, 2012 @ 8:18 am

This is so visually appealling! I love the vividness the blood orange salsa adds to the dish! Yum! :-D

Jennifer@Peanut Butter and Peppers — January 11, 2012 @ 8:30 am

Oh yum! Your on a jalapeno kick this week! I love it! I need to pick up some Tilapia and give this recipe a try! I love how quick it looks to make and it’s baked!

The Mrs @ Success Along the Weigh — January 11, 2012 @ 8:38 am

Oh yeah! I just found the first use for my new zester! *happy dance*

Bev Weidner — January 11, 2012 @ 8:41 am

I’m going to name my firstborn BLOOD ORANGE SALSA.

She’ll be so popular.

Sarena (The Non Dairy Queen) — January 11, 2012 @ 8:42 am

That is a work of art! The colors and flavors WOW! Absolutely beautiful Jessica!

Gen — January 11, 2012 @ 8:44 am

Yum!!!! So pretty too! What do blood oranges taste like? We don’t get them here….:(

Sally @ Spontaneous Hausfrau — January 11, 2012 @ 8:57 am

This looks great! I LOVE unconventional salsas :)

Emily — January 11, 2012 @ 9:02 am

That salsa looks so fresh and juicy that I’d take a whole plate of that alone!

Heather (Heather's Dish) — January 11, 2012 @ 9:03 am

i’m so glad you’re loving the citrus lately…i’ve been a little more than obsessed and need an outlet for the citrus stuff :)

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat — January 11, 2012 @ 9:06 am

LOL it looks like you and I are on the same brainwave with the whole crusting fish thing today! As for citrus, keep it coming. I’ve got my fridge loaded with it because I’m desperately trying to get rid of a sinus cold that I seem to have picked up on my way back from Milan this Christmas. I might need to make a massive bowl of this salsa!

krysten @mrsachwartzkitchen.blogspot.com — January 11, 2012 @ 9:14 am

Hey, you see that bowl, the one in the picture fourth from the top? Yeah, I’d like to live in it.

JulieD — January 11, 2012 @ 9:20 am

I love this! No apology necessary! I love citrus. This fish looks amazing…!!

Lynne @ 365 Days of Baking — January 11, 2012 @ 9:27 am

I’ve been craving some fish lately (really weird for someone who doesn’t like it, I know) and never made it to the store yesterday to pick up that blood orange to try.
    I’ll be showering today (haha) and venturing out. Wish me luck. ;-)
    This is going to be on the menu for tonight!

Sara — January 11, 2012 @ 9:29 am

That looks great! I’m not a huge fish eater (and by that I mean I don’t eat any at all…) but I’m determined to try it. Is tilapia a good place to start?

• Jessica — January 11th, 2012 @ 10:13 am

I think so! It’s pretty mild.

Cara — January 11, 2012 @ 9:29 am

Yum! That salsa looks beautiful and super tasty! I will have to try this recipe!!

I also loved you comment “It’s my opinion that so many people fail at eating healthy meals because they don’t know any better and eat them PLAIN. Ugh” <—- my biggest peeve ever too!

Emilie @ Emilie's Enjoyables — January 11, 2012 @ 9:39 am

ok ok I guess I need to go buy some blood oranges!

Kim in MD — January 11, 2012 @ 9:43 am

‘Tis the season for citrus! I love, love, love tilapia, and the citris salsa looks to die for!

Joelle (on a pink typewriter) — January 11, 2012 @ 9:57 am

I can’t get over their gorgeous color! Love it!

Katie @ Peace Love & Oats — January 11, 2012 @ 10:07 am

That looks absolutely gorgeous! I love blood oranges, so I’m a fan of your citrus theme happening!

Alexis @ There She Goes — January 11, 2012 @ 10:23 am

mmm i like this margarita idea – blood orange margarita perhaps?!

• Jessica — January 11th, 2012 @ 10:31 am

It’s coming later this week! ;)

DessertForTwo — January 11, 2012 @ 10:39 am

No apologies necessary-I LOVE citrus :) Keep on hittin’ me, baby!

Sarah K. @ The Pajama Chef — January 11, 2012 @ 10:45 am

these look beautiful, as always!

Marcy — January 11, 2012 @ 10:45 am

I have blood orange olive oil. Where can I add this in the recipe????

Maria — January 11, 2012 @ 10:47 am

I love that salsa! Love it!

Yammie @ Yammie's Noshery — January 11, 2012 @ 10:49 am

Whooooooa. This is a beautiful thing.

Hilliary @Happily Ever Healthy — January 11, 2012 @ 10:50 am

Loving how colorful and fresh that salsa looks!

Kelly — January 11, 2012 @ 10:51 am

This looks amazing and absolutely gorgeous! You are SO right about how people don’t know how to eat healthy, they just assume everything had to be bland and taste like cardboard haha (ie. my boyfriend)…I’ll definitely be making this in my immediate future!

Ali B — January 11, 2012 @ 11:08 am

That shot of the cut up blood oranges really does look like a scene from Dexter…

Chelsy — January 11, 2012 @ 11:13 am

Jess! Citrus is my new bff, I use it in all my marinades and that salsa looks absolutely fabulous! Calories are non-existent in my world and this looks like a winner, winner, tilapia dinner!
    Yum!
    Mangia!!!

Ashley — January 11, 2012 @ 11:14 am

Your husbands “plain” diet makes me shiver!! And gag. :) This salsa however, does the complete opposite.

Ashley H — January 11, 2012 @ 11:15 am

I completely despise fish. And I*m such a baby about it! Blech! But I*m thinking this sounds fabuloussss if made with Chicken! Must try!!

Gina @ Running to the Kitchen — January 11, 2012 @ 11:23 am

Blood orange is everywhere today, I love it!

Cassie @ bake your day — January 11, 2012 @ 11:31 am

NO apologies needed. That salsa is soooo gorgeous. This sounds amazing!

Sarah — January 11, 2012 @ 11:48 am

This looks so fresh and yummy! I have to make this.

Shari @ The Daily Dish — January 11, 2012 @ 11:52 am

This is such a pretty dish! And i’m sure citrus crusted tilapia is awesome. Thanks for sharing! :)

Mindy@FSLblog — January 11, 2012 @ 12:29 pm

“It’s my opinion that so many people fail at eating healthy meals because they don’t know any better and eat them PLAIN. Ugh. Just that word makes me cringe and shrivel into a miserable little ball. Like nails on a chalkboard.”

Couldn’t have said it better myself!

sherri @ the life of a wife — January 11, 2012 @ 12:31 pm

I love all of the blood orange recipes that are popping up! Such a beautiful, color fruit to consume during the drab winter months!

Laurie {Simply Scratch} — January 11, 2012 @ 12:35 pm

Ohhhh no you didn’t!? This looks amazing!!

Natalie @ Perrys' Plate — January 11, 2012 @ 12:42 pm

I love where you went with this! Those blood oranges are absolutely gorgeous. And thanks for the link :) I can’t wait to try that salsa on some fish!

Jocelyn — January 11, 2012 @ 12:43 pm

This looks amazing! But I am not a huge fish eater…I’m thinking about chicken???

TidyMom — January 11, 2012 @ 12:47 pm

OMG we LOVE tilapia here and the blood orange salsa sounds incredible!!!

CouponClippingCook — January 11, 2012 @ 12:57 pm

What a beautiful combination of flavors and colors. Love this idea to jazz up the tilipia. Sounds delicious.

Lauren from Lauren's Latest — January 11, 2012 @ 1:04 pm

Healthy but so gourmet!! Mmmm…

1. Pingback: Citrus Crusted Tilapia with Blood Orange Salsa. - San Francisco Luxury Living | San Francisco Luxury Living

2. Pingback: The Blood Orange « runningbonvivant

3. Pingback: Citrus Crusted Tilapia « wafoodie

4. Pingback: Blood Oranges | drink. eat. play. repeat.

5. Pingback: Citrus Crusted Tilapia with Blood Orange Salsa « In Her Chucks

6. Pingback: trop50 red orange giveaway

7. Pingback: Pinterest Made Me Do It | The Sassy Swan

8. Pingback: Put Some Fruit In Your Salsa and Eat It. | Lifestyle Pins

9. Pingback: Favorite Recipes from Around the Web | The Sassy Swan

10. Pingback: Crusted Tilapia with Orange Jalapeno Salsa | Gourmet Beauty

11. Pingback: Jeobox – 22 Fabulous Fruit Salsas

12. Pingback: 22曲の素晴らしい果物サルサ | やっぱり痩せるには食事変えなきゃ!簡単美味しいヘルシーレシピ大公開。夏まで5キロ!

13. Pingback: 22曲の素晴らしい果物サルサ | やっぱり痩せるには食事変えなきゃ!簡単美味しいヘルシーレシピ大公開。夏まで5キロ!