The day I made these tacos, I really wanted 5000 cookies without calories for dinner.

Crockpot Cheddar Beer Chicken Tacos I howsweeteats.com

I know.

Cookies without calories this is clearly not.

But I can wish anything into existence!

Crockpot Cheddar Beer Chicken Tacos I howsweeteats.com

I threw this in the crockpot at nearly 11PM one night last week. Yes, that is like three hours past my bedtime but I was feeling saucy or something.

Actually, I couldn’t stop thinking about BBQ beer chicken sandwiches and well, beer in general… but since I have a penchant for rarely making the same thing twice I simply threw some Mexican-type seasonings in there. I mean, if it was up to me I’d cook the freaking chicken in sangria or margaritas.

That’s how much I want to marry the cuisine just so my face can be stuck in it forever.

Crockpot Cheddar Beer Chicken Tacos I howsweeteats.com

Anyhoo…

This is good stuff. Really good. It’s cheesy and beery and all-around delicious. You can make it to go in other things too, like um… cheddar beer enchiladas? Cheddar beer chicken soup? Cheddar beer ice cream sundaes? What?

It’s like you don’t even KNOW me.

Crockpot Cheddar Beer Chicken Tacos I howsweeteats.com

Orrrr maybe you do.

Because you’re probably wondering why there isn’t more cheese and avocado and sour cream on that taco up there. And even some crushed blue corn chips. And queso. And where is my flippin’ margarita?

I’m right there with you.

Crockpot Cheddar Beer Chicken Tacos I howsweeteats.com

Crockpot Cheddar Beer Chicken Tacos

[taco seasoning adapted from allrecipes]

serves 4+

4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts

3/4 cup beer (I used an amber ale)

1 tablespoon chili powder

1 1/2 teaspoons cumin

1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika

1/4 teaspoon garlic powder

1/4 teaspoon onion powder

pinch of cayenne pepper

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/2 teaspoons pepper

3/4 cup freshly grated cheddar cheese + more for topping

taco shells

your favorite toppings: greek yogurt, avocado, cilantro, salsa, chopped onion, black beans, shredded lettuce, etc.

In a bowl, mix together chili powder, cumin, garlic, onion, paprika, cayenne, salt and pepper. Measure out 3/4 cup of your favorite beer, and whisk 1 1/2 tablespoons of the taco seasoning into the beer.

Place chicken in the crockpot and dump in beer with seasoning. Cook on low for 7-8 hours or high for 4 hours.

When you first remove the lid, it will seem as though there is a lot of liquid and the chicken is just sitting in it, but take two forks or kitchen tongs and shred, shred, shred until it all comes together. Taste and season with additional taco seasoning if desired, then let sit in the crockpot for another 15 minutes or so. Turn the crockpot completely off, and right before serving toss in cheddar cheese. Once combined, immediately transfer the chicken to a large bowl so the cheese does not stick to the crockpot. Make your tacos!

Crockpot Cheddar Beer Chicken Tacos I howsweeteats.com

Now about those cookies…

151 Responses to “Crockpot Cheddar Beer Chicken Tacos.”

Ashley — January 17, 2012 @ 2:15 pm

LOVE the last 3 photos. Great textures + colors!

Culinary Collage — January 17, 2012 @ 2:46 pm

These looks amazing! I hardly use my crockpot, but this looks like a good reason to pull it back out again.

Cassie @ bake your day — January 17, 2012 @ 4:07 pm

Why is it that you never make anything twice? I think the only things that I make more than once is anything buffalo chicken-inspired because that’s what my husband lives on. Other than that, it’s new meals all the time. Including this one on the list now. I mean, WOW!

Katie @ ohshineon — January 17, 2012 @ 4:27 pm

This makes me all giddy inside. Honestly, right about now I think I’d actually pick this crockpot chedder beer chicken OVER calorie-free cookies. WHAT!?

Ashley @ Wishes & Dishes — January 17, 2012 @ 4:33 pm

I said it once and I’ll say it again….i LOVE using my crock pot and this looks delish!

Chris — January 17, 2012 @ 4:42 pm

Oh man – I wish I saw this this morning. I set a huge pork shoulder in the crock pot and let it cook. Might taco it up tonight though.

raeann — January 17, 2012 @ 4:42 pm

this looks deelish – i do love a crockpot recipe – i’m addicted to PW’s dr pepper pulled pork – ah.maz.ing.

anyhoodle – wanted to let you know i made your tortilla soup last night, and bravo – it was awesome! i did use green enchilada sauce instead of red, though, but it was still super good!

love the blog!!

Kat — January 17, 2012 @ 5:15 pm

Ohhh, I’m definitely making this. My boyfriend will flip.

Heather of Kitchen Concoctions — January 17, 2012 @ 5:33 pm

I’m with you, beer chicken ‘anything’ sounds like it would be a winner!

Jackie Grandy — January 17, 2012 @ 5:38 pm

Delicious! I love mexican and tacos so this dish is right up my alley.

Kilee — January 17, 2012 @ 7:48 pm

Holy yum! I want these proto! I can’t have beer (gluten-free.) I wonder if I could substitute a soda of some sort?

• Angie — January 20th, 2012 @ 7:29 am

Some beers are gluten free search it it was on the show the doctors yesterday! :)

Quiche-ing Queen — January 17, 2012 @ 7:48 pm

This sounds like a dinner my family would enjoy. So delicious looking. Looks like a taco night is in our near future.

Sarah — January 17, 2012 @ 9:00 pm

Shoot, too bad I am already wine-ing and have your delish fishsticks in the oven. This is next on the to-cook list!

Kelly — January 17, 2012 @ 9:40 pm

You take such beautiful pictures!!

April — January 17, 2012 @ 10:57 pm

Now that you mention it, I miss going to prom too! I didn’t mind getting all dolled up and buying some sparkly/shiny dress.

Russell at Chasing Delicious — January 17, 2012 @ 11:14 pm

Lovely shots! These tacos look scrumptious.

Dawn — January 18, 2012 @ 8:09 am

that’s it! making these tonight w/ guests in town. very simple!

Lynn @ Order in the Kitchen — January 18, 2012 @ 12:08 pm

oh hot damn these look amazing… definitely need to make these! these would be man-approved… a difficult task sometimes in my house ;)

Emily (Edible Psychology) — January 18, 2012 @ 4:02 pm

Wow, these look awesome! I am going to have to remember to add them to my plan for next week.

~Emily~

Casey @ Pocket Full of Sunshine — January 18, 2012 @ 5:31 pm

This sounds fantastic! Question—if I want to use store-bought taco seasoning (like a packet), how many tablespoons would I use?

• Jessica — January 18th, 2012 @ 5:34 pm

It’s honestly hard to say because they tend to contain so much salt. I’d probably start at 1-2 teaspoons, then you can season it after cooking if it isn’t enough??

Rachael S — January 18, 2012 @ 6:25 pm

these look and sound delish! Anything crockpot and I am a happy camper! Thanks for sharing I cant wait to try these.

paige — January 18, 2012 @ 7:24 pm

Cant get any easier than this! Made it tonight. I put onions in the crock pot since I had a bunch. Mine still came out really liquidy but i just drained it and it still tasted good! Gotta love cooking in beer

TeriLyn [a foodie stays fit] — January 18, 2012 @ 11:27 pm

it’s 10:30 at night and now i’m craving tacos desperately. thanks. a. lot. ;)

denise — January 19, 2012 @ 10:22 am

i think chicken-beer-cheddar soup would be amazing and awesome, especially with super bowl (or souper-bowl) coming up. i’d love to see that recipe!

also, i made your roasted red pepper-whole wheat-fontina pizza for dinner last night- awesome (can’t wait to reheat it for lunch today)

Kat Collins — January 19, 2012 @ 3:12 pm

Making this for dinner tomorrow night with friends! Having oozy, unctuous cheeses for dessert. Simply perfect. Tomorrow is National Cheese Lover’s Day!

Lanie — January 19, 2012 @ 4:20 pm

So I’m sitting at work… not working obviously and checking on this recipe. I saw it a couple of days ago and didn’t read the recipe but just looked at your pictures. Before I left this morning I put two chicken breasts in the crock pot with a can of Bud Light and some hot sauce. Ha, it’s the unrefined version of yours I’m guessing it won’t turn out as well… How much time do you think I should leave it on for only two chick breasts?

I’ll blog about how it turns out ok!
    fromgardenstatetogoldenstate.wordpress.com

• Jessica — January 19th, 2012 @ 5:41 pm

I think you’ll be okay – every crockpot differs so I really can’t say until your see the finished result!

Erika — January 19, 2012 @ 5:57 pm

I made these for dinner last night, they were a hugh hit and came out perfectly!

Kaitlin @4loveofcarrots — January 20, 2012 @ 1:21 pm

I made these for dinner last night, soo good. Even better cold the next day over a salad!

Anne Marie — January 20, 2012 @ 7:00 pm

Crockpot + cheddar + beer + chicken + tacos = my husband. It will also soon = me as wife of the year. Thank you for making me look good! :)

Becky — January 20, 2012 @ 10:27 pm

Just made these tonight! They were awesome!

Chris @ TheKeenanCookbook — January 21, 2012 @ 10:03 am

I like cookies, but I’d gladly take this for dinner over them. Soo goood :)

Kare — January 23, 2012 @ 1:15 pm

Tried this with Corona, diced onion and pepper jack last night. The guys loved it! Thanks for the recipe.

Lisa — January 23, 2012 @ 3:52 pm

All the seasonings you have listed are your taco seasoning? Or is there taco seasoning in addition to the cumin, chili powder, paprika, etc?

Money4This Not4That — January 23, 2012 @ 11:21 pm

You had me at beer!!!

Tracy — January 24, 2012 @ 12:43 pm

These are a perfect snack for the Super Bowl! Plus, you can never go wrong with beer in food. :-)

Leslie — January 24, 2012 @ 11:27 pm

Umm chicken is thawing tonight, crockpot will be powered up tomorrow for total domination. Can’t wait to try this mothah!

Brandon @ Kitchen Konfidence — January 26, 2012 @ 2:58 am

Yes! A new crockpot chicken recipe :) I’m thinking this would be good topped with some quick pickled onions, crema and cilantro.

Katie — January 27, 2012 @ 2:29 pm

I am e-mailing this to my boyfriend (who is at his crock-pot-equipped apartment taking a nap while I slave away at work) immediately! “Put beer, spices, and chicken in the crock pot” is a recipe I think even he can handle :)

Jen — February 6, 2012 @ 10:33 am

I made this Saturday-SO easy & delicious!!!

jessi — February 19, 2012 @ 9:53 pm

this recipe is AMAZING!! i made it for dinner the other night and it was pretty much the best thing ever, thanks for creating it!! :)

Amber — February 27, 2012 @ 4:41 pm

Made these last night and they turned out sooooo gooood! My boyfriend and his roommate both devoured a few of them each. This will be on our weekly dinner rotation, for sure! Linking this post on my blog, hope that’s OK! :)

jackie — March 2, 2012 @ 2:35 pm

this looks right up my ally, im in love with Chipotle and have been wondering how i could semi make my own at home! this looks like a great start and WILL be next on my cooking list!

jackie — March 2, 2012 @ 2:38 pm

this look right up my ally! Im in love with Chipotle and have been wondering how to go about trying to make my own burrito bowl at home, and this looks like a great start!

Kristin — April 4, 2012 @ 6:38 pm

you might cringe when I ask this, but would these still be good without the cheese? :-/ I don’t like cheese aside from mozzarella – I know, everyone thinks I’m crazy! I dunno what it is. My boyfriend likes cheese, though, but I think he will end up throwing his Mexican cheese blend on top of his tacos.

Jessness — April 16, 2012 @ 11:27 pm

This has seriously become my go-to, I’m lazy on a Monday and there’s chicken in the freezer recipe. Twice now, I’ve made this with half frozen chicken (yeah, *I* totally think ahead) and not only are we both still alive, we love this recipe. I’m going to be totally honest, it took all my self control not to shovel the chicken in my mouth straight from the crockpot. All class, this one.

dz8879 — May 7, 2012 @ 3:04 pm

I made these last night, and although I followed the directions perfectly, the recipe really fell short for me.
    First off, there was way too much liquid – like I said, i following the directions closely and only used 3/4 cup of beer.
    Also, there really wasn’t much taste at all to the chicken. Maybe it was because it was so watery.
    I was so disappointed, I had read such great reviews!

Tracy — May 8, 2012 @ 4:02 pm

Jessica,
    I have these in the crockpot right now and they smell and taste so good. I had a bite as I was shredding the chicken. I love easy recipes like this one. For sure a keeper!

Tracy

marisa — May 12, 2012 @ 7:48 pm

I feel like we are cooking soul mates…your cooking style and tastes are so similar to mine it’s freaky. My husband and I recently moved and I hadn’t been feeling much inspiration in the kitchen. Then I found your site and felt a fresh surge of creativity.

I made these tonight with slight variation on the seasonings- because cheddar and beer anything is awesome in my book- and we loved them! I’ve got two more of your recipes on deck for dinner next week and my husband’s insisted I make the Triple Crunch Oreo bars tonight to “bring to his mom for Mother’s Day.” As if we won’t devour them ourselves tonight!

Thanks for the great recipes ahd inspiration!

Winnie — May 27, 2012 @ 7:30 pm

This looks delicious…I can’t wait to try this and the crockpot beans…they look perfect!!Have a great Memorial day..

Lisa — May 28, 2012 @ 12:43 am

Made this tonight … oh my ……….. was it ever Deee•Licious!!!!! mmmm mmmm mmmm!!!