Insanity.

Homemade Snickers Bars I howsweeteats.com

That’s what this is. Pure In.San.It.TEEEEE.

You know those days when you’re in desperate need of sugar and you’ve already downed more gummy vitamins than recommended while seriously considering how many more you can ingest without causing severe harm to your internal organs? They’re just so gooooood.

Well… in that case you should make some homemade snickers bars. Because I definitely did that.

And I KNOW you know what I’m talking about.

Homemade Snickers Bars I howsweeteats.com

I spent the majority of my pre-pubescent and adolescent years scheming just how I would be able to steal my brothers’ Halloween candy. Snickers were always my favorite, and the boys weren’t huge fans so more often than not, they would hand them over. But sometimes… they kept them just to spite me. Brats.

Then I went through a SERIOUS phase of those Snickers ice cream bars. I swear they only had like 4 in a package or something but I could easily take down 2 for dessert. As kids, we were rarely allowed candy bars, but my mom had no issue with buying bags of fun-sized candy because, well… when things are fun-sized it means the calories don’t count.

And that you can eat a million of them.

These days, it’s rare that I crave actual candy, often preferring some chewy cookies or super rich cheesecake or a bar of amazing chocolate that costs thrice as much as the recent organic meyer lemons I purchased. But snickers are in my blood.

They are the peanut butter to my jelly.

The salt to my pepper.

The broccoli to my… wait, no.

Homemade Snickers Bars I howsweeteats.com

This recipes comes from my friend Nikki who, well… I didn’t even know until Instagram and Twitter.

But now Nikki is like my bestest friend ever. Because when someone emails you a recipe for homemade snickers bars, they are your BFF for life. I mean, who else has my best interests at heart like that? I don’t even know.

And the fabulous part? This is SO EASY. So, so, so, so, so easy. Like, had-five-drinks-and-a-recent-breakup-easy. It has four distinct steps and in print seems slightly intimidating, but it isn’t whatsoever. I promise. I swear. I even had every single ingredient on hand. And not just because I’m a hoarder. Would I lie to you?

I’m not even going to waste your time trying to convince you to whip up a batch because, uhhh…. look at them. They are irresistible. Literally… considering they ruined two of my family members’ January diets.

Now that’s a win.

Homemade Snickers Bars I howsweeteats.com

Homemade Snickers Bars

[recipe from Nikki, who lightly adapted it from and old Taste of Home recipe]

makes one 9×13 pan

bottom chocolate layer

1 1/4 cups milk chocolate chips

1/4 cup peanut butter

Thoroughly grease you baking pan. Melt ingredients together in a saucepan or microwave, then pour into the baking dish and spread until even. Let cool and harden completely.

nougat layer

1/4 cup unsalted butter

1 cup granulated sugar

1/4 cup evaporated milk

1 1/2 cups marshmallow fluff

1/4 cup peanut butter

1 1/2 cup salted peanuts chopped, roughly chopped

1 tsp vanilla extract

Melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Add in sugar and milk, stirring until dissolved and bring to a boil. Let cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add in fluff, peanut butter and vanilla, stirring until smooth. Turn off heat and fold in peanuts, then pour over bottom chocolate layer. Let cool completely.

caramel layer

1 14-ounce bag of caramels

1/4 cup whipping cream

Combine ingredients in a saucepan over low heat. Let melt, stirring occasionally, until smooth – this took about 10 minutes for me. Pour over nougat layer and let cool completely.

Top chocolate layer

1 1/4 cups milk chocolate chips

1/4 cup peanut butter

Melt ingredients together in a saucepan or microwave, then pour over caramel and spread until even. Let cool and harden completely.

Refrigerate for at least one hour before serving, then cut as desired. These can stay at room temperature, but they do get gooey. I like them refrigerated best!

Note: for best results, buy one of the half-sheet aluminum cake pans at the grocery store. That way, you can pop the entire square out and cut from there!

Homemade Snickers Bars I howsweeteats.com

I can’t even take that.

749 Responses to “Homemade Snickers Bars.”

Elizabeth O'Keefe — April 2, 2012 @ 6:30 pm

Did anyone else have a problem with the nougat layer turning brown? I cooked it for exactly 5 minutes before I added the rest of the ingredients.

• Rebecca — April 7th, 2012 @ 2:52 pm

Mine turned brown also, but I thought it might have done that because my sugar is a brown color and not white. I think it turns brown because you are basically carmalizing the sugar and milk. I wouldn’t worry about it.

• Danielle — May 3rd, 2012 @ 10:47 am

I made these last night they turned out awesome here is a few tips that I came across when making these:
        Some of you said that the nougat layer turning brown I think I have your answer after you melt the bottom layer choc and peanut butter you have to wash your pan then make the nougat or get a clean pan..Also instead of a 1 1/4 choc chips and 1/4 cup peanut butter I wanted my choc thicker so I used 1 1/2 cups choc chips and 1/2 cups peanut butter.

• Renee — June 1st, 2012 @ 3:03 pm

I am thinking that the vanilla is part of the reason for the darker color. I used clear vanilla, it is in the fridge, can not wait to cut into it!!!

Sarah — April 4, 2012 @ 12:29 pm

These look soooo good. I am considering giving up my strict diet and inhaling *cough* I mean eating a few pans…. uh… I mean squares. Thanks for posting this recipe! I want to eat the pictures! :)

• Ashley Kelnhofer — May 6th, 2012 @ 10:49 pm

Your comment just made me laugh out loud!! I’m pregnant and when you say you want to eat “a few pans…uh…I mean squares” I was thinking the SAME EXACT THING!!! :)

• Sarah — May 8th, 2012 @ 8:39 am

Haha Ashley, I know that feeling. 3 times over now. Though I’m not pregnant now, the feeling never goes away. I still crave mass quantities (especially of things like this). lol Blessings on you and your little one. :)

Elizabeth — April 4, 2012 @ 3:56 pm

Yeah my nougat layer turned brown the 1st time … when I did it the 2nd time (because my husband ate the pan with the first 2 layers in it so I had to redo the whole thing … lol ) I let it boil for 2 mins. w/o stirring it and then for the remaining 3 I stirred it so that way nothing burnt on the bottom, the 2nd batch I made still turned a little brown but it was more like a light brown and not really noticeable where as the first time it was dark like peanut butter …. not sure if this helps anyone but thought I would share :)

Shannon @ RecipesMe — April 4, 2012 @ 9:41 pm

This recipe looks sooooo good!!! If I made them I would probably eat them all :)

Bobbie — April 5, 2012 @ 4:01 pm

I just wanted to let you know that I featured this awesome recipe on my blog today. Thanks so much for sharing!

Elvira — April 5, 2012 @ 10:47 pm

Made these before and they turned out great. I made them tonight but my nougat part turned brown… Still tasted yummy!

My blog: http://allpatchedupquilts.blogspot.com/

My Etsy: http://www.etsy.com/shop/AllPatchedUpQuilts

Allie S. — April 6, 2012 @ 6:11 pm

this sounds ridiculously amazing. so so amazing. oh wow. i’m making this asap!

Helen — April 10, 2012 @ 7:29 pm

These were so tasty! My nougat layer was the right color bit almost a bit grainy/gritty in texture rather than smooth. I’m not sure if that’s the normal texture. The taste is just amazing and they’re beautiful.

Thanks for the recipe.

Julia — April 11, 2012 @ 12:22 am

If I don’t have to work on Thursday or Friday, I’m going to make these! I won’t mind if the nougat turns purple, just as long as it tastes good! And this recipe is glorious because I can never make home-made caramel right – it’s either grainy or too stiff/hard, and I have spare bags of caramel squares left over from last year (got them on sale after the “everybody makes candy apples for fall” season!). YAY!

kristie — April 11, 2012 @ 4:38 pm

I used homemade caramel using sweetened condensed milk instead of melting a bag of caramels cheaper and it should taste the same.

• lisa — June 18th, 2012 @ 3:48 pm

How did it turn out with Sweetened condensed milk caramel? How long did you cook the caramel for to get the right consistency?

Kaitlyn — April 17, 2012 @ 10:09 pm

I made these for my brother’s birthday because Snickers are his favorite.
    I sure hope he gets some, but that would mean less for me…
    I didn’t have a 9×13, so I used a 9×9 and a loaf pan.
    Amazing.

Angelica — April 20, 2012 @ 4:57 pm

Can you freeze these? I thought I could do them for a shower. Who doesn’t like chocolate?

• Amy — May 1st, 2012 @ 9:52 pm

I’m a pastry chef and wanted to answer your question, I would say no do not freeze these. chocolate when it gets too cold does something called sugar bloom, this is when the sugars in the chocolate start to leak out. It could become sticky once taken out and brought back up to room temp, and even turn white-ish in color. The bars would be fine to eat, just not look so pretty.

• Elvira — May 29th, 2012 @ 2:44 pm

Hi, I had success freezing these. I cut them in little bite sized pieces and wrapped each piece individually in parchment paper. They froze just fine and tasted the same. So good!

Katrina Jones — April 23, 2012 @ 12:02 am

I made these tonight and they came out perfect. This recipe is genius. I only had 8 ounces of caramel so I have to make my own from scratch. Pretty proud of myself. Thanks for sharing. My family thank you also…lol!

luckydiana — April 26, 2012 @ 10:31 am

I made these over the weekend thinking it was too good to be true. These are AMAZING!! Everyone went nuts for them!! Instead of peanuts I chopped some slivered almonds – delicious! Thank you so much for sharing this recipe. Here’s a pic of mine – http://instagr.am/p/JqNfnoy36V/

Sofia — April 26, 2012 @ 11:56 pm

I made these tonight. Indeed very simple and cannot wait to hear what my kids and their teachers have to say tomorrow. I also had the same problem as the others with the nougat, but not surprising as adding the peanut butter WILL no longer make it white. So next time I will not add the peanut butter so to have more of a contrast in color

vicki — April 29, 2012 @ 8:50 pm

I cannot believe how easy these were to make and how great they taste yum:)

Stephanie — April 30, 2012 @ 9:02 pm

I had trouble getting the chocolate to get hard. Instead of using milk-chocolate I used semi-sweet. Would that make a difference? Please help.

• Amy — May 1st, 2012 @ 10:00 pm

I a pastry chef wanted to answer your question, no the semi sweet chocolate shouldn’t have made a difference, but it could depending on kind you bought. If you got the little chips that come in the bag, it could have extra oils added to it and that would have made it less likely to become hard again. Also if you added a little extra peanut butter to it, the fats and oils in the peanut butter would also make it less likely to get hard again. Hope that helped.

• DEBRA — July 15th, 2012 @ 4:28 pm

Hi Stephanie, the chocolate not getting hard, usually means it was not cooked long enough to reach . a certain temperature (can’t remember what temp. degree that is right now).

Amy — May 1, 2012 @ 9:46 pm

hey everyone! I thought I would help out about the nougat layer turning brown. I’m a pastry chef and came across this recipe and it does looks really yummy. Reading over the recipe, I see that it says melt butter add sugar and milk and boil for 5 minutes. The ratio of sugar to liquid is pretty high in this part so basically if you cook it too long your going to start to make caramel. I haven’t made this yet, but I believe if you just bring it to a boil to dissolve the sugar and do not continue the whole 5 minutes you should be fine because the fluff will thicken it up anyhow. Just a thought… I will make it myself this way and post if it came out right.

• Rose — May 26th, 2012 @ 2:07 pm

if you are allergic to peanut butter, what can you substitute it with or can you take it out completely and it still come out the same way?

• DEBRA — July 15th, 2012 @ 4:34 pm

Hi Rose, you could use any nut butter (almond, cashew etc…). Almond butter is fairly easy to find in the supermarkets or you can find it in a health food store (Whole Foods, Sprouts etc…).

Tom — May 2, 2012 @ 2:49 pm

Would refrigerating the layers to harden them quicker be a bad thing?

• Danielle — May 3rd, 2012 @ 10:46 am

I put mine in the freezer after each layer to set and it came out perfect.

Danielle — May 3, 2012 @ 10:42 am

Enjoy

liz — May 6, 2012 @ 11:41 am

I just finished breakfast…yes breakfast, and can now think of doing nothing else besides making these today. Wow.

April Reisenfeld — May 7, 2012 @ 10:21 pm

What is the best way to cut these? I am making them for my husband’s birthday and he is having friends over so I am hoping to cut them so they don’t fall apart.

Yemi Ogunbase — May 8, 2012 @ 12:26 pm

I’m about to paint something so that my wife will make these for me. ;-)

Do they taste A LOT like peanut butter? That’s a concern, as it’s not one of my favorite things.

Holiday Baker Man — May 8, 2012 @ 2:26 pm

These are just plain dangerous

April Fish — May 8, 2012 @ 10:55 pm

I made these, and they turned out amazing! The recommend using chocolate bark for the bottom at least so that the chocolate is ‘crispy’. I would add more peanuts next time, and I made homemade caramel instead of using store bought. But, they were probably one of the best things to ever come out of my kitchen.

Ami — May 11, 2012 @ 2:03 pm

If you are making these the night before do you store them in the fridge or just at room temperature. Also can you substitute marshmallow cream instead of fluff

Bliss — May 13, 2012 @ 5:57 pm

My daughter made these for us and they are excellent. As close to a store bought snickers bar as you will ever get. I like them better actually. If I make them I will maybe do some extra caramel, just cause I like caramel!

~Bliss~

Tina — May 15, 2012 @ 3:34 pm

I made these for mother’s day and they were a huge hit. I then sent the leftovers into work with my husband so I would not eat the entire pan. Everyone is now asking for the recipe for the “crack bars”. These are so addictive! Thanks for a great blog!

Leah — May 15, 2012 @ 4:59 pm

I was thinking… well it may be a lil more work but before you put the last chocolate layer on you could cut them in small fun sizes and then pour the remaining chocolate over them so the chocolate covers the sides as well. Making these tonight!

Alexandra — May 16, 2012 @ 3:34 pm

I cannot wait to make these….they look SO good. So so good. Your pictures are just lovely.

Will be posting this recipe on my site! Thanks so much for sharing!

alec — May 16, 2012 @ 6:39 pm

What can i use if where i live cant find the fluff nor the marshmallow cream??

• Annie — May 20th, 2012 @ 12:42 pm

Simply put the marshmallow in a large microwave bowl. 7 ounces of marshmallows or mini-marshmallows either one would equal 7 ounces of marshmallow cream.

Substitutions:
      marshmallow creme = marshmallow fluff = Gently heat 16 ounces of marshmallows plus 1/4 cup corn syrup in a double boiler, stirring constantly; 10 large marshmallows = 1 C miniature marshmallows.

Start by heating the marshmallows a few seconds at a time, stirring. Not so much to heat them but to slightly melt. gently. Stir in the corn syrup. You will end up with marshmallows creme just like the recipes call for & just like the jar of marshmallow creme from the store.

alair — May 17, 2012 @ 9:42 am

i made these and they turned out exactly like the picture and tasted great!. However if anyone has any idea how to make the caramel layer a little stiffer because it is a mess to eat, then i would appreciate knowing. i did think of adding a little powdered sugar to the caramel layer but i wondered if it would make them taste different or even sweeter than they already are. also i made them with almonds instead of peanuts and it worked great.
    let me know about the caramel, if anyone has any ideas.

Janice — May 20, 2012 @ 2:05 pm

I made these long ago when this recipe first appeared in Taste of Home magazine. It is divine! Made it to put in gift baskets for all the parents I was babysitting for at the time…Needless to say they loved it!

amyg — May 20, 2012 @ 8:38 pm

LOL!!!!!!!! I have the same problem with gummy vitamins!!! LOL!!!!

Stacy — May 24, 2012 @ 10:47 pm

I am definitely going to try this recipe. Interestingly enough, I have everyone on hand so it’s just a matter of making time this weekend. Just as amazing as the recipe sounds – your write up and comments had me laughing all the way through. Nothing like some great comedy and the ability to make others laugh. “The broccoli to my… wait, no” LOL Thank you for both the comic relief and a great recipe!

Lauren — May 30, 2012 @ 4:47 pm

I just finished making these and I’m so excited to try them!! My nougat layer did not turn brown but I made sure to stir it constantly and I also did not leave it in the full five min before adding the rest of the ingredients. It was a tad bit tedious to make, only because after each layer you have to wait a decent amount of time for it to cool before heading on to the next layer. The steps were super easy but I just wish I could be eating them already!!!

sherrie — May 30, 2012 @ 9:48 pm

I’m having a problem finding caramels in the stores to buy… anyone else have this problem? If I make from scratch, would I make caramel syrup or caramels? I made an awesome caramel syrup that was so easy, came out perfect, thick but not too thick… my caramel recipe is delicious but takes a lot more time plus would I have them set up and then melt down and add more cream? thanks to anyone who answers me… I have had this recipe for so long and haven’t been able to make them since I can’t find the caramels… every market, Ralphs (Kroger), Stater Bros., Albertson’s, Von’s, Pavilion’s, Gelson, Bristol Farms…etc. HELP…

• Bernie — May 31st, 2012 @ 2:01 am

Well caramels come around in the fall (caramel apple season) so you could definitely make your own caramel. But i would just make caramel sauce as you are just going to melt the caramels into a sauce anyway ;) and a quick tip, male the caramel in your free time so you have it on hand for whenever you decide to make these. That way you dont overwhelm yourself! Hope it helped! :)

• JJ — June 14th, 2012 @ 8:13 pm

Found caramels in Walmart in the candy aisle… they now even have them in “bits” that you don’t have to unwrap… hope you find them!

Amy — June 2, 2012 @ 3:12 pm

After reviewing comments above, I decided to make these – how can you not? Easy recipe for a favorite candy after all!! When I got to the nougat part, I melted the butter, added the milk and sugar and brought it to a boil, I only boiled it for 1 minute, then removed from heat and added the rest of the stuff in. Came out light in color and perfect. I did not have clear vanilla so the dark color brought out a nice light color to the nougat. Also, I used a double boiler for the two chocolate layers and the caramel layer, which works just as well. This recipe has been added to the “make again” folder. Thank you for a great recipe!

Robyn — June 9, 2012 @ 8:43 am

Okay so I have made these 3 times. I like to mx it up by using differnt kinds of chocolate, like dark, semi sweet etc. I also mix up the nuts like cashews mixed nuts etc. Everything time I have made it they turn out excellent. I have to hid them in the freeze so that people will not eat them all up. I am taking them to a church function this week. Planning on also taking some copies of the recipies so that people will have it. Thanks for sharing!
    Robyn

bella — June 10, 2012 @ 4:23 am

i can make my favorite snickers at home???!! OMG gotta do this next weekend, im so excited!!!

Denise — June 11, 2012 @ 11:54 pm

So how long does this actually take? Waiting for the layers to completely cool and harden? Am I going to be up all night waiting for layers to cool completely? LOL You’re right, the recipes looks intimidating. I told my son I would bring them out for Family Night at Boy Scout Camp but after reading the recipe, I’m not so sure. :)

Lehanie — June 13, 2012 @ 2:04 am

Hi

Can anyone please help me! I live in South Africa and we do not have marshmallow fluff here! Is there any substitute or recipe to make it?

• Karen Brightwell — June 16th, 2012 @ 10:04 pm

read up someone else had that problem and made some from marshmellows

• Bob — June 26th, 2012 @ 9:57 am

I found some at Spar. Check if any of your local shops have import aisles.

cyndi Stielstra — June 17, 2012 @ 7:37 pm

Mine was FABULOUS!!!!! Nothing brown….just pure goodness!!!! A little soft as the day was 90 degrees & humid but oh so gooey good!

Brandi — June 18, 2012 @ 12:31 am

Made these tonight and they were awesome. There was 8 of us and we all thought they turned out great! Thanks for sharing!!!

Audrey — June 21, 2012 @ 9:20 am

Just wanted to let you know I made these for Father’s day and they were DELICIOUS! I am showing off your recipe and my pictures on my blog today! http://breakitmakeitorbakeit.blogspot.com/2012/06/homemade-snickers-pinterest-i-did-it-1.html

Christopher — June 22, 2012 @ 3:22 pm

cant wait to make these for my wife and daughter can anyone tell me. are these homemade snickers chewy like the store brand or are they soft

• Brandi — June 26th, 2012 @ 8:19 am

They are a bit of both. I kept mine in the refrigerator, so the chocolate layer was crisp and the rest was quite chewy. I’m sure they would be softer (like the store bought) and chewy if left out at room temperature.

Lizzy — June 24, 2012 @ 7:00 pm

So…for the marshmallow fluff i can just use plain marshmallows correct?

Susan — June 25, 2012 @ 5:53 pm

I want to make these ahead of time (couple of days).
    How do I keep them without freezing them and are
    they still good to do it this early?

• Brandi — June 26th, 2012 @ 8:16 am

Just keep them in the fridge. My leftovers were good throughout the week, and I kept them refrigerated.

Brandi — June 26, 2012 @ 8:13 am

I made these for Father’s Day and they turned out PERFECT! Everyone absolutely loved them. They were easy to make, and turned out to be such an impressive little creation. I took your advice and made them in a disposable 13×9 in aluminum pan. I popped each layer in the fridge to speed up the cooling/hardening process, and that worked really well. I will be making these again next month :)

Amanda — June 26, 2012 @ 4:14 pm

Do you have to use peanut butter? Hubby doesn’t like it and can detect it within a 100 mile radius. He loves snickers though so I might try despite his aversion.

• Debra — July 15th, 2012 @ 4:49 pm

Hi Amanda, There are other nut butters available (almond, cashew etc..).