Homemade Snickers Bars I

That’s what this is. Pure In.San.It.TEEEEE.

You know those days when you’re in desperate need of sugar and you’ve already downed more gummy vitamins than recommended while seriously considering how many more you can ingest without causing severe harm to your internal organs? They’re just so gooooood.

Well… in that case you should make some homemade snickers bars. Because I definitely did that.

And I KNOW you know what I’m talking about.

Homemade Snickers Bars I

I spent the majority of my pre-pubescent and adolescent years scheming just how I would be able to steal my brothers’ Halloween candy. Snickers were always my favorite, and the boys weren’t huge fans so more often than not, they would hand them over. But sometimes… they kept them just to spite me. Brats.

Then I went through a SERIOUS phase of those Snickers ice cream bars. I swear they only had like 4 in a package or something but I could easily take down 2 for dessert. As kids, we were rarely allowed candy bars, but my mom had no issue with buying bags of fun-sized candy because, well… when things are fun-sized it means the calories don’t count.

And that you can eat a million of them.

These days, it’s rare that I crave actual candy, often preferring some chewy cookies or super rich cheesecake or a bar of amazing chocolate that costs thrice as much as the recent organic meyer lemons I purchased. But snickers are in my blood.

They are the peanut butter to my jelly.

The salt to my pepper.

The broccoli to my… wait, no.

Homemade Snickers Bars I

This recipes comes from my friend Nikki who, well… I didn’t even know until Instagram and Twitter.

But now Nikki is like my bestest friend ever. Because when someone emails you a recipe for homemade snickers bars, they are your BFF for life. I mean, who else has my best interests at heart like that? I don’t even know.

And the fabulous part? This is SO EASY. So, so, so, so, so easy. Like, had-five-drinks-and-a-recent-breakup-easy. It has four distinct steps and in print seems slightly intimidating, but it isn’t whatsoever. I promise. I swear. I even had every single ingredient on hand. And not just because I’m a hoarder. Would I lie to you?

I’m not even going to waste your time trying to convince you to whip up a batch because, uhhh…. look at them. They are irresistible. Literally… considering they ruined two of my family members’ January diets.

Now that’s a win.

Homemade Snickers Bars I

Homemade Snickers Bars

[recipe from Nikki, who lightly adapted it from and old Taste of Home recipe]

makes one 9×13 pan

bottom chocolate layer

1 1/4 cups milk chocolate chips

1/4 cup peanut butter

Thoroughly grease you baking pan. Melt ingredients together in a saucepan or microwave, then pour into the baking dish and spread until even. Let cool and harden completely.

nougat layer

1/4 cup unsalted butter

1 cup granulated sugar

1/4 cup evaporated milk

1 1/2 cups marshmallow fluff

1/4 cup peanut butter

1 1/2 cup salted peanuts chopped, roughly chopped

1 tsp vanilla extract

Melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Add in sugar and milk, stirring until dissolved and bring to a boil. Let cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add in fluff, peanut butter and vanilla, stirring until smooth. Turn off heat and fold in peanuts, then pour over bottom chocolate layer. Let cool completely.

caramel layer

1 14-ounce bag of caramels

1/4 cup whipping cream

Combine ingredients in a saucepan over low heat. Let melt, stirring occasionally, until smooth – this took about 10 minutes for me. Pour over nougat layer and let cool completely.

Top chocolate layer

1 1/4 cups milk chocolate chips

1/4 cup peanut butter

Melt ingredients together in a saucepan or microwave, then pour over caramel and spread until even. Let cool and harden completely.

Refrigerate for at least one hour before serving, then cut as desired. These can stay at room temperature, but they do get gooey. I like them refrigerated best!

Note: for best results, buy one of the half-sheet aluminum cake pans at the grocery store. That way, you can pop the entire square out and cut from there!

Homemade Snickers Bars I

I can’t even take that.

794 Responses to “Homemade Snickers Bars.”

Megan — July 1, 2012 @ 12:32 pm

Hey, jut made these and they look amazing, about the turning brown nougat layer, if you use a double broiler to combine everything until smooth and then put it directly on heat until it just starts to boil then put it back to the double broiler it made the nougat layer perfectly, keeping the color, hope this helps!

cori terry — July 15, 2012 @ 5:41 pm

Marcia — July 16, 2012 @ 6:18 am

Wondering if you have to use the peanut butter?

Wendy K — July 17, 2012 @ 12:28 am

On what planet does a regular Snicker’s bar have peanut butter?

• Brian G — August 5th, 2012 @ 4:56 am

It doesn’t, but the nougat layer in a Snickers is peanut flavored. It balances nicely with the fluff to make a reasonable home-made facsimile.

Mary — July 19, 2012 @ 2:05 pm

Hey! I just stumled upon your site and I have to say: your recipes are mouthwatering! And you took very nice pictures of your food too – that makes it even harder to resist them. Keep on your great work!!

cristi — July 20, 2012 @ 4:10 pm

I stumbled upon your site after searching for an individual cupcake recipe and OMG! I think I’ve gained 5lbs. Just reading/browsing through your collection! Everything looks amazing!! I’m waiting for my two cupcakes to cool as i type. Can’t wait to try them :)

Vi brock — July 24, 2012 @ 6:34 pm

These look so good. Could you e-mail this to me….

thanks vi

jennifer — July 27, 2012 @ 9:18 pm

what do you think i could put in the middle instead of the nougat?

Roe — July 30, 2012 @ 6:01 pm

Why on earth would anyone ruin a snickers with peanut butter?

• Megan — December 11th, 2012 @ 5:20 pm

It definatly doesn’t ruin it. You must have not tried the recipe.It tastes like the most fresh snickers you would ever eat.

• Valerie — December 17th, 2012 @ 5:45 pm

I wish i could “like” your reply, Megan ;-)
        “Most fresh snickers you would ever eat” is definitely on-point!

• Cindy — February 10th, 2013 @ 4:34 pm

I wouldn’t knock the peanut-butter, if you disagree w/ the peanut butter, don’t make them! your not the 1 that came up w/ this recipe

Denise — July 31, 2012 @ 5:29 pm

Best thing I hae ever made from a recipe I found on Pinterest. Tastes like the freshest Snickers ever (think the special holiday ones in the store). So good! You don’t really taste the peanut butter in the melted chocolate. Just makes it that much creamier and delicious! Definitely recommend!

Lisa — August 2, 2012 @ 8:45 am

Hi. I really want to make this but I live in Australia and we don’t have marshmallow fluff…we have marshmallows, but I prefer to make my own. What can u use instead of fluff..or can i make my own fluff…whatever fluff is!

• Travis W — August 29th, 2012 @ 8:11 pm

Take one stick on non salted butter and melt it on medium heat. When the butter is fully melted add a bag of marshmallow and stir constantly until the marshmallows are melted into your own custom fluff :-) hope that helps

• Miriam — October 6th, 2012 @ 10:55 pm

I was going to ask this very question – thanks for the answer Travis :-)

• Toni — April 13th, 2013 @ 6:20 am

You can get fluff at supermarkets in Australia :)

Mateusz Mikolajczyk — August 4, 2012 @ 6:53 am

Hi, there is one fake culinary website in Poland run by Anna Karankiewicz and Yamen Kalaji – who steal other people’s culinary photos and publish them as their own. They also stole your pictures of the snickers claiming they were taken by them. When one whistle blower pointed at this evident fraud, they blocked all her comments, but the pictures remained. The ingenious couple is definitely hoping to make money on the page. Here are the links :

and this is their facebook page –

I think it would be advisable to write to the couple (I think they speak some English) and say that such things are illegal. Every comment counts because these frauds feel completely impudent.

• Blair — August 4th, 2012 @ 11:56 pm

There’s a way to disable hotlinking and downloading images, but I don’t know if the author has access levels to the server to do so.
      These look great, BTW!

• Bonnie — September 3rd, 2012 @ 3:07 pm

Unless you have copyrights to your photo you can’t keep people from using them. Eminent domain is hard to prove on the internet, unless you have film to back up that its actually your photo. An easy way to get around this with your own photos or artwork online is to use a photo editing program that allows you to type your name, username, business name, corp id, or web address in transparent letters across your photos.

• KS — February 10th, 2013 @ 1:22 am

There’s no such thing as “stealing” images on the internet unless you have a legal copyright to them…and even then, people simply can’t distribute them for financial purposes.

• Storm — April 12th, 2013 @ 9:48 am

well pretty much if you put it on the internet , you are giving it to everyone. it becomes public domain .

Amanda — August 8, 2012 @ 11:26 am

I was just picking myself up off the floor. See, I fainted when I saw this on Pinterest! OMG must try!

kim — August 10, 2012 @ 11:05 pm

I’m staring at these but scared to death to make them. I don’t think I will. They look fabulous. I would eat them all, I can just tell you that for sure just by looking. My BFF and I invented the world-famous (you know you’ve heard of it) Snicker Bar Diet in the early 80’s…high school. At just 250 calories per bar, we only allowed ourselved 4 snicker bars per day and NOTHING else. We were so wise to figure out this shortcut to the 1,000 calorie diet. I think these would fit right in with that diet plan….I believe you that they are fantastic. I’ll just stare….(:

Michelle — August 12, 2012 @ 7:07 am

You can get fluff in Coles or at the USA food store in Melbourne, (they are online)

Caroline_GoodCupcakesGood — August 13, 2012 @ 4:10 pm

These look so good that I just had to make them. But when I came to to the caramel layer I got baffled. I am from Norway and thought it was easy to translate oz into gram. I was wrong. 35 gr of caramel is not enought for these snickers. Can you please tell me have many grams 1 14-ounce bag of caramels are. I am hoping like today, because its sitting in my fridge waiting to be finished :)

Thank you so much for sharing such beautiful recipes with us!

Love Caroline

Tresa — August 26, 2012 @ 4:19 pm

These are sitting in my fridge right now..I am waiting patiently until after dinner..I don’t know why. It’s just the right thing to do…RIGHT?! LOL My two teenage boys whipped these up and I can’t wait to try :o) Thanks for sharing!

Jen — August 27, 2012 @ 5:37 pm

So…your amazingness has made me amazing. I have made this recipe multiple times since finding it on Pinterest. People request that I bring this to work/potlucks/weekends at the lake and all other days of the week. Thank you for an amazing and easy recipe that makes me look great….fatter…but great!

Sherri Leonard — August 28, 2012 @ 11:35 pm

OMG my husband would die and go to heaven to have me make these!!! They look soooo good!! Thanks for the recipe!!

Lindsay — September 2, 2012 @ 12:49 am

Yep, these are fantastic. Made them tonight and it took an extraordinary amount of willpower to not eat them all while i was cutting them into squares to store them :) Yummm

Tracy — September 10, 2012 @ 10:37 pm

My mom used to make these when i was younger, we’d cut them, wrap them individually in foil and keep in the freezer. Then they r there whenever you want one!

Reinamom — September 19, 2012 @ 11:20 pm

Made these for my granddaughters birthday party. They were an absolute hit! Now I’ve been requested to make hem for another event. You will never want to buy a snickers bar again. These are better! Thanks so much.

Doris — September 24, 2012 @ 11:34 pm

what kind of whipping cream is best to use?

Channing — September 25, 2012 @ 4:51 pm

Oh man. These were amazing!!! And gone in one night.

Hilde — September 29, 2012 @ 6:10 pm

I made these and my family loved them! Forgot to buy caramels, so I had to make my own. But it was worth the extra effort.

PJ — October 6, 2012 @ 9:14 am

I made these yesterday and they were fantastic, but can they be frozen fo later use?

Lissa Kristine — October 9, 2012 @ 12:30 pm

I’ve had these before- from Nikki- and they are amazing. I’m not even a big Snicker’s fan, so one bar can last me FOREVER. I generally keep them in the freezer. Frozen homemade snickers are one of the best things in the world.

Frank Murrow — October 15, 2012 @ 1:32 am

Oh my, that would be really tasty out here in Afghanistan.

Justin — October 15, 2012 @ 5:49 pm

if you are having trouble with them becoming soft at room temperature then add a bit of vegetable shortening to the chocolate when you are melting it and it will make it less likely to crack and if you make sure you bring it to 120 f before you pour it it will be tempered and less likely to melt at room temp

Chiquita — October 16, 2012 @ 7:35 pm

OMG!!!! I totally agree with Sherri Leonard!! My man LOVES Snickers- candy bar ones, ice cream ones and Breyer’s ice cream. I may have to make these and surprise him! I bookmarked the recipe =)

Leah — October 22, 2012 @ 12:58 am

I am going to rush out tomorrow and buy all the ingredients, yum!

• Sophia — December 9th, 2012 @ 12:12 am

or, you could rush to the store and buy real Snickers!

Chantel — October 22, 2012 @ 2:04 pm

If these were to be given as gifts, how long would you say they last? Do they need to stay refrigerated?

Courtney — November 11, 2012 @ 12:28 pm

My dad loves Snickers more than the world, and I definitely cannot wait to make these for his birthday!

Peggy — November 17, 2012 @ 11:41 am

Looks incredible, any problem with making the day before I am servings?

kieran — November 29, 2012 @ 10:48 am

Fantastic! I only wish I could pick them from the screen and eat them! yumm!

Megan — December 2, 2012 @ 9:18 am

I made these for thanksgiving and everybody RAVED about them!!they were AWESOME!!perfect recipe!

Monique — December 5, 2012 @ 2:09 pm

You are hysterical…. I couldn’t stop laughing at your blog! I, too, am such a lover of a Snickers Bar. I simply must make these.

Blessings to you this Christmas,

Ashton — December 17, 2012 @ 6:38 am

Just for the Aussie readers I found marshmallow fluff at an IGA supermarket in QLD :)

Jozefien van leeuwen — December 19, 2012 @ 2:40 pm

I was wondering, would this work with dark choclate as well, as the only thing I have against snickers is the milk choclate… hmmm, efo gonna try this one! thanks for sharing!

md — December 23, 2012 @ 2:57 pm

hi! im so excited to make these – just wondering, when you say to let each layer “cool”, do you mean to stick it in the fridge after each layer, or just to cool a room temperature? thanks!

Hope — January 10, 2013 @ 6:21 pm

I don’t have any unsalted butter, will it be OK to use what I got? I don’t want to attempt to make them if I cannot use the butter I got on hand.

Janelle — January 19, 2013 @ 1:21 pm

This looks great! I can’t wait to try!! Yummy ;)

Peter — January 19, 2013 @ 1:54 pm

Yum! Now I’m planning to include bacon in the nougat layer to see if they’re as good as I think they might be. Will report back later.

And yes, bacon makes everything better.

Aimee Scott — February 6, 2013 @ 9:19 pm

I have always loved snickers so when I this recipe I had to try it. Im not sure I will ever again buy another snickers at the store. It was so easy and freezable. Yum.

Janalee — February 27, 2013 @ 2:44 pm

I am addicted. And I can’t even tell you how much I love your blog. You are AWESOME. And I make these once every couple of months for the Officers I work with. They love them! Thank you so much!

North Kaklakee — March 4, 2013 @ 4:09 pm

Making these today. I’m not done yet, but I just licked the spoon. Based on that alone, I think I”m in for a major treat.

Now I just need someone to have a party so I can bring them and show them off!!!!

Crystal — March 9, 2013 @ 11:38 am

I have the half sheet pans…would I double the recipe for that? I’m making these for a big group of teens.

• Brittain — May 11th, 2015 @ 12:35 am

Yes, Double for the half sheet pan. I made these this weekend and doubling worked out perfectly in the half sheet pan.

suchitra — March 17, 2013 @ 10:31 pm

I am drooling just at the sight of the yummy bars…super recipe! :)

Kara — March 18, 2013 @ 12:26 pm

Do you think it would be possible to use caramel syrup instead of melting caramels? Or would that be too runny? It’s just that I would like to make these, an I have caramel syrup but no caramels.

Kim — April 3, 2013 @ 9:14 pm

Thank you for sharing your recipe! I made these as a snack for Easter lunch and they were certainly a hit! Delicious.