Insanity.

Homemade Snickers Bars I howsweeteats.com

That’s what this is. Pure In.San.It.TEEEEE.

You know those days when you’re in desperate need of sugar and you’ve already downed more gummy vitamins than recommended while seriously considering how many more you can ingest without causing severe harm to your internal organs? They’re just so gooooood.

Well… in that case you should make some homemade snickers bars. Because I definitely did that.

And I KNOW you know what I’m talking about.

Homemade Snickers Bars I howsweeteats.com

I spent the majority of my pre-pubescent and adolescent years scheming just how I would be able to steal my brothers’ Halloween candy. Snickers were always my favorite, and the boys weren’t huge fans so more often than not, they would hand them over. But sometimes… they kept them just to spite me. Brats.

Then I went through a SERIOUS phase of those Snickers ice cream bars. I swear they only had like 4 in a package or something but I could easily take down 2 for dessert. As kids, we were rarely allowed candy bars, but my mom had no issue with buying bags of fun-sized candy because, well… when things are fun-sized it means the calories don’t count.

And that you can eat a million of them.

These days, it’s rare that I crave actual candy, often preferring some chewy cookies or super rich cheesecake or a bar of amazing chocolate that costs thrice as much as the recent organic meyer lemons I purchased. But snickers are in my blood.

They are the peanut butter to my jelly.

The salt to my pepper.

The broccoli to my… wait, no.

Homemade Snickers Bars I howsweeteats.com

This recipes comes from my friend Nikki who, well… I didn’t even know until Instagram and Twitter.

But now Nikki is like my bestest friend ever. Because when someone emails you a recipe for homemade snickers bars, they are your BFF for life. I mean, who else has my best interests at heart like that? I don’t even know.

And the fabulous part? This is SO EASY. So, so, so, so, so easy. Like, had-five-drinks-and-a-recent-breakup-easy. It has four distinct steps and in print seems slightly intimidating, but it isn’t whatsoever. I promise. I swear. I even had every single ingredient on hand. And not just because I’m a hoarder. Would I lie to you?

I’m not even going to waste your time trying to convince you to whip up a batch because, uhhh…. look at them. They are irresistible. Literally… considering they ruined two of my family members’ January diets.

Now that’s a win.

Homemade Snickers Bars I howsweeteats.com

Homemade Snickers Bars

[recipe from Nikki, who lightly adapted it from and old Taste of Home recipe]

makes one 9×13 pan

bottom chocolate layer

1 1/4 cups milk chocolate chips

1/4 cup peanut butter

Thoroughly grease you baking pan. Melt ingredients together in a saucepan or microwave, then pour into the baking dish and spread until even. Let cool and harden completely.

nougat layer

1/4 cup unsalted butter

1 cup granulated sugar

1/4 cup evaporated milk

1 1/2 cups marshmallow fluff

1/4 cup peanut butter

1 1/2 cup salted peanuts chopped, roughly chopped

1 tsp vanilla extract

Melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Add in sugar and milk, stirring until dissolved and bring to a boil. Let cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add in fluff, peanut butter and vanilla, stirring until smooth. Turn off heat and fold in peanuts, then pour over bottom chocolate layer. Let cool completely.

caramel layer

1 14-ounce bag of caramels

1/4 cup whipping cream

Combine ingredients in a saucepan over low heat. Let melt, stirring occasionally, until smooth – this took about 10 minutes for me. Pour over nougat layer and let cool completely.

Top chocolate layer

1 1/4 cups milk chocolate chips

1/4 cup peanut butter

Melt ingredients together in a saucepan or microwave, then pour over caramel and spread until even. Let cool and harden completely.

Refrigerate for at least one hour before serving, then cut as desired. These can stay at room temperature, but they do get gooey. I like them refrigerated best!

Note: for best results, buy one of the half-sheet aluminum cake pans at the grocery store. That way, you can pop the entire square out and cut from there!

Homemade Snickers Bars I howsweeteats.com

I can’t even take that.

761 Responses to “Homemade Snickers Bars.”

Lapinka — April 14, 2013 @ 8:25 am

Hiya! The recipe is just so great! I made it yesterday and everybody loves it. I hope you don’t mind I put a link to your recipe on my blog. Thanks a lot!

Maple — May 8, 2013 @ 6:32 pm

I made these for my mom for Mother’s Day. …SO GOOD. And I don’t enjoy Snickers bars. Mom: So good. They have a depth Snickers bars don’t. Dad: Awesome. A note, while I was cooking the nougat mixture, after adding the sugar and evaporated milk, it did brown slightly (and evenly, not just in a few places) and I think that’s the depth my mom tastes. Make this!

Sorel — May 14, 2013 @ 1:00 pm

can these be made using splenda instead of sugar????

• Sugar — May 16th, 2013 @ 10:05 am

Ew, wtf. No. Not only is Splenda terrrrrribleeee for you, it tastes like ass.

• april — June 14th, 2013 @ 3:43 pm

Sugar..that remark is uncalled for…and you would know what a$$ tastes like ? ewww

• kayla — November 14th, 2013 @ 4:34 pm

Sorel–I used it with splenda as well and it tastes just as good! And Sugar–totally inappropriate..ok?

• Matt — January 19th, 2014 @ 1:32 pm

Haha, sorry guys. I agree with Sugar 100%.

• Bryttani — June 27th, 2014 @ 12:56 am

Totally agree with Sugar! Jeez people, lighten up lol

• SugarSucks — September 8th, 2014 @ 7:38 pm

“Not only is Splenda terrrrrribleeee for you…” Fantastic. Another mindless adherent echoing pseudoscientific nonsense that they probably found on some garbage blog that emulates health tips mostly for the feeling of self importance. Stop pretending you’ve cured cancer or whatever it is you believe you are saving people from.

• Lol — October 15th, 2014 @ 11:27 pm

Splenda IS terrible for you. Sugar is a much better alternative to (for lack of better wording) ‘fake foods’ such as Splenda and margarine. For example margarine is ONE MOLECULE away from plastic, and was originally intended to fatten turkeys. When the turkeys died, they had to think of another way to market it. Their intended market? Modern followers who believe exactly what the media tells them.
        Sugar is a NATURAL product. Natural products are easier for the body to digest unlike these man made plastics we put in our body’s. Believe it or not, digesting food BURNS CALORIES.
        Always go the natural route. Butter over magarine, sugar over Splenda, normal cheese over light cheeses and so on so forth.

• A J — July 16th, 2013 @ 5:30 pm

You can use Splenda! I did, and it tastes the same as when I made it with real sugar.

• Splenda — January 12th, 2014 @ 3:35 am

Well it probably taste good considering that caramel, whipping cream, chocolate chips, marshmallow, and peanut butter have enough sugar on their own to counteract the Splenda. I mean seriously, how are you supposed to avoid your “sugars” and “calories” making any type of homemade candy??????

Char — May 26, 2013 @ 2:34 pm

This recipe is spot on! I just finished the nougat layer and it tastes JUST like snickers…WOW! I’ll try not to eat the rest before its finished.

One note, I detest those store bought caramels, so I made my own this morning. I should be able to get away with microwaving the caramel without any additional cream to thin it.

SO good. Thanks for the recipe!!

• Jenn — July 15th, 2013 @ 7:35 pm

Just a side note. ..I too do not care for the caramels sold most often in stores- but I now have started using Werthers chewy caramels- and great flavor and results for anyone not up to making your own!

Nuage de Lait — June 5, 2013 @ 2:51 pm

Hello your recipe(takings) pleases me a lot, I would like to realize her(it) but being French, I do not know the down(sleeping bag) of marshmallow. Can you say what that is to yourself exactly? Is it something that you buy already ready to be used?
    Jojo

• cat — September 6th, 2013 @ 9:34 pm

what the hell r u talking about????

• Heather — February 18th, 2014 @ 3:14 pm

Nuage de Lait, je parle seulment un peu de Francais, mais je pense que Marshmallow Fluff n’est pas disponsible en France, peut-etre au Quebec. Ou habitez vous? Probablement vous pouvez faire ca avec les guimauves – juste dans le four micro-ondes. C’est juste les guimauves dans un mode tartiner. Bonnes chance!

baking queen — June 15, 2013 @ 11:23 am

It’s the start of summer, and I found this recipe some time ago…and so for a sweet summer treat I decided to make these for my family…although I did make one small modification…I hate peanuts (I’m alone in this battle in my family) instead of putting peanuts in them I put coffee covered almonds.. These are FANTASTIC!!! I highly recommend everyone to make them.. Just watch you’ll want to eat the whole pan! lol…Thanks so much for sharing!!!

Valerie — June 23, 2013 @ 8:05 pm

Hi would this recipe do okay being mailed? my boyfriend loves snickers and I wanted to make him a desert like this to send him. But would it melt too much, unlike cookies?

• Amy — February 1st, 2014 @ 12:44 pm

Valerie- I wouldn’t mail these. They do melt very easily/quickly.

• Jill — April 18th, 2014 @ 8:28 am

I have mailed them several times to family members & have had no issues! Just make sure to mail them when it’s not too hot. I cut them into individual servings & wrap each in wax paper. Hope this helps!

Laurie Sexton — August 3, 2013 @ 2:29 pm

For people who love just not ANY food…….SWEETS…BAKERY….DESERTS…CANDY…you know, SWEETS!!!!!
    OH YAAAA
    :}
    I gotta get out of here!!!!!!!

Donna S — September 2, 2013 @ 1:24 pm

Fabulous. Simply fabulous. Thank you so much for sharing this recipe! It will be a keeper.

cdw — September 12, 2013 @ 10:49 pm

Making these but leaving off the chocolate layers and going to grind the peanuts for the nougat fine, like a smidgebefore pb. I have been begging Mars to make a “naked” snickers for years especially since the quality of their chocolate seemed to go down.

• susan — February 18th, 2014 @ 6:15 pm

the quality of the chocolate sold in Walmart etc under the Cadbury or mars names is nothing like it should be. Try World market the chocolate there is imported and tastes way better. the chocolate on a mars bar (milky way) is thicker too. yes its expensive but so much better

• Patti — March 6th, 2014 @ 5:36 pm

I recommend melting DOVE chocolate candy bars…milk, dark or a combination of both…instead of the bittersweet. DOVE, made by Mars, is a smoother chocolate.

Rachel — October 5, 2013 @ 3:29 pm

OMG these look insane! Making these ASAP

Victoria Copeland — October 30, 2013 @ 9:34 pm

Hi! I made this today and man oh man it is goooood!! I used bittersweet chocolate for half the top layer and it turned out great! I would love to link your recipe to my blog Jessica, if it’s okay with you! So nice to have found you. My husband and resident Snickers lover thanks you too! Cheers! Victoria

Lisa S. — December 16, 2013 @ 8:21 pm

Can anyone tell me how long these would keep in the fridge? I wanted to make them now for Christmas Day. What do you think? Thanks. :)

Sugar Baby — December 23, 2013 @ 2:49 pm

wow made these for my boyfriend (who is a total snickers lover) for Christmas and they are amazing!! saving this for the future!!

CookieDance — January 18, 2014 @ 1:23 pm

Is there anything similar to marshmallow fluff because that stuff doesn’t sell in my country.
    Would really love to give this recipe a go , but I need something else to replace marshmallow fluff with.
    Thanks for help!

Miles — January 21, 2014 @ 8:01 pm

Lovely! My wife has had enough of all the Snickers disappearing overnight and enjoys making things like these.

Good job.

Lots of entertaining comments too!! You guys are funny! Splenda tastes like ass, bahahahahahahaha!! That’s funny right there, then the counter comments, ahahahahaha!!

Tonnie — January 23, 2014 @ 11:38 am

Do you think this could be made with a Dark Chocolate? I do not care much for the taste of milk chocolate but love the taste of a dark chocolate.

• Jill — April 18th, 2014 @ 8:32 am

Absolutely. I have made them with milk & dark chocolate & both were very good.

Wendy Stayton — January 23, 2014 @ 7:56 pm

Sooo funny! I eat too many gummy vitamins too! They are AWESOME! And I am a snickers fiend! Yum! Thanks for sharing !

Bobbie — January 24, 2014 @ 1:44 pm

FINALLY made these! I switched Milk chocolate for dark chocolate and used almonds instead of peanuts (personal preferences) and they came out amazing! Thank you so much for the recipe!!!!

wendy peacock — January 26, 2014 @ 12:21 am

seriously??! I can’t even copy and paste? do you think im not above just writing the damn thing down? ugh! stupid!

Sofia — February 1, 2014 @ 1:13 pm

Hola! Quisiera saber si la mantequilla de mani se puede reemplazar por ” Dulce de Leche ” ya que en mi pais no la venden .

Allison — February 21, 2014 @ 9:42 am

This recipe looks awesome and I would love to make it however here in Australia we cannot get what you call “Marshmallow Fluff” can you use equal amount of just marshmallows?
    (by the way for all of you that use Splenda in your cooking, please don’t as it is actually toxic to your body, best to stick with sugar)

• Dessert love — August 20th, 2014 @ 3:28 am

Did you have any response to this question as I also live in Australia and would like to give it a go without having to make all the ingredients from scratch.

DC Personal Trainer — February 24, 2014 @ 4:39 pm

Now this is the real thing:-)

Sarah — March 4, 2014 @ 2:30 pm

OMG – these look soo good!! I will definitely be making these sometime soon! :)

Rosies Kitchen — April 4, 2014 @ 9:01 am

Shared on https://www.facebook.com/rosieshomekitchen and pinned, Happy Caramel day for tomorrow. Lovely photos, lovely recipe.

Sandy — April 7, 2014 @ 2:52 pm

If you use a table spoon or so less whipping cream that is added to the caramels the chocolate on top does not slide all over the place and they look like professional candies… I make this every Christmas but add 1/4 cup butterscotch chips to the chocolate peanut butter bottom and top….

Jenni — May 29, 2014 @ 8:56 pm

These are ridiculously good. Ridiculously.

tiffani — October 25, 2014 @ 4:52 pm

So I just made these and my nougat layer was brown not white do you know why that might be?

Magan Lakeway — November 25, 2014 @ 5:54 pm

I can cut them just fine, but am having a bit of a problem getting them out of the pan. The bottom layer is not coming up in one piece. It flakes a bit. So I am letting them sit on the counter right now to see if that layer will hold together a bit better. I did THOROUGHLY grease my glass dish and I did let them sit in the fridge for 90 minutes after that last layer had cooled and hardened. Not sure what I will do next time different.
    ( I opted out of the store bought aluminum pan-as they are a bit pricey right now. These are very good bars, so they may be worth the price of the pan.)

1 7 8 9