Oh hi!

5 Minute Chocolate Fudge S'mores Mug Cake I howsweeteats.com

Just sharing a s’mores mug cake today. That can be made in 5 minutes.

You know… NO BIG DEAL.

5 Minute Chocolate Fudge S'mores Mug Cake I howsweeteats.com

Since you’re asking, yes… I have always thought the whole “cake in a mug in a microwave” thing was sort of skeevy. Well, until I was feeling superbly lazy last week and housing a mad chocolate craving. Like, really mad. So I gave it a try.

And another.

Annnnnd maybe another. Oops.

5 Minute Chocolate Fudge S'mores Mug Cake I howsweeteats.com

And another?

5 Minute Chocolate Fudge S'mores Mug Cake I howsweeteats.com

Then I thought… is there anything in the world that I’m more obsessed with than s’mores? Umm nope. There isn’t. But just so you know, I’m also allowed to say that about guacamole, Ryan Gosling and chocolate peanut butter. So stop looking at me that way.

In minutes, with a few tweaks and twists and makeshift graham crusts and marshmallow middles, I had a s’mores mug.

And it was just SO… FUDGEY.

5 Minute Chocolate Fudge S'mores Mug Cake I howsweeteats.com

Sidebar: for years as a quick treat, I’ve melted butter in a bowl, added graham cracker crumbs, thrown on some chocolate chips and marshmallows then stuffed it in the microwave for 10 seconds. Then I usually burn the roof of my mouth because I’m so impatient and inhale it anyway.

And you know what?

This is like, A BILLION TIMES BETTER.

5 Minute Chocolate Fudge S'mores Mug Cake I howsweeteats.com

Sorry for the shouting, but it’s necessary. !!!

This is a much more practical, easier, quicker version of my smore’s cake in a jar, with marshmallows stuffed in the center and even a few healthier adjustments.

I want to marry this mug. Don’t judge me.

5 Minute Chocolate Fudge S'mores Mug Cake I howsweeteats.com

And if you love someone (like yourself), this would be an outstanding choice for a fast Valentine’s Day dessert. So… love yourself. PUHlease.

5 Minute Chocolate Fudge S'mores Mug Cake I howsweeteats.com

5 Minute Chocolate Fudge S’mores Mug Cake

[adapted from food network]

makes 1 serving, can easily be doubled

2-3 tablespoons graham cracker crumbs

3 1/2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted

2 tablespoons granulated sugar

1 large egg

1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

1/4 cup whole wheat pastry flour

2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder (mine was dark cocoa, hence the dark color)

1/8 teaspoon baking powder

pinch of salt

1 1/2 ounces milk chocolate (chopped or morsels)

marshmallow fluff, cream or actual marshmallows

Combine 3 tablespoons butter and 1 ounce of chocolate in a small bowl, then melt in the microwave for 20-30 seconds. Set aside. In another bowl, combine remaining melted butter with 2-3 tablespoons of graham cracker crumbs and stir until moistened. Press graham crumbs into the bottom of your mug.

In a bowl. whisk egg, sugar and vanilla until smooth. Add in flour, baking powder, salt and cocoa, stir until a thick batter forms. Stream in melted butter and chocolate, mixing to combine. Fold in remaining chocolate chips. Add half of the mixture on top of the graham crust, then throw on a scoop of marshmallow fluff/cream or a few marshmallows. Add remaining batter on top, then pop in the microwave for 1 minute and 20 seconds to almost 2 minutes. Remove and top with additional marshmallow if desired. You can pop it back in the microwave for 5-10 seconds to make them melty, or pop them directly under the broiler for about 10 seconds to toast if desired. You can also use a kitchen torch if you have one. Sprinkle with graham crumbs!

Notes: If you don’t have whole wheat pastry flour, you can use all-purpose. I would not recommend using regular whole wheat. Additionally, I have made this by substituting coconut butter for the full amount of butter. It was just as delicious, albeit slightly drier. You cannot taste coconut at all. Finally, take into account the power of your microwave. Mine has a mind of it’s own and is insanely powerful, so I cooked this on 80% power. Judge accordingly and add/subtract a few minutes of cooking if you know your’s is wonky too. Unfortunately it may take 1-2 trial runs to get the right consistency because all microwaves are different, but I promise it’s worth it!

5 Minute Chocolate Fudge S'mores Mug Cake I howsweeteats.com

And that’s Friday for you.

246 Responses to “5 Minute Chocolate Fudge S’mores Mug Cake.”

Lisa — February 10, 2012 @ 7:59 am

My God you are a delicious little genius!
    I am so making this tonight!

Caroline @ chocolate & carrots — February 10, 2012 @ 8:01 am

Five minutes!?!? For that gooey amazingness! :-D Yum! You’ve outdone yourself, Jessica! Mmmmm!

Lauren @ Healthy Food For Living — February 10, 2012 @ 8:02 am

Of course you post this on the day I’ve vowed to cut way down on my sugar consumption in preparation for our trip to Barbados in three weeks. Jeez.

;).

This s’mores mug cake looks absolutely fantastic, and I will be making it as soon as I’m back from our trip!

Gen — February 10, 2012 @ 8:12 am

Amazing! Dessert in 5 minutes? Sounds perfect!

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey — February 10, 2012 @ 8:13 am

Friday rocks.

Becki's Whole Life — February 10, 2012 @ 8:14 am

The marshmallow/graham topping is genius! I actually made coffee cake in a mug yesterday afternoon and I drizzled biscoff on top instead of the crumb topping. I will have to try this next time. I like the cake in the mug idea because I can have one by myself and no traces anywhere:-) I will try this one next time, just need to make sure I have some marshmalllows!

• Jessica — February 10th, 2012 @ 8:31 am

That sounds amazing!

Liam G — February 10, 2012 @ 8:21 am

This looks DELICIOUSLY dangerous ;)

Jane — February 10, 2012 @ 8:27 am

I’ve just come back from working out at the gym for two hours and seen this. Oh dear Lord. This looks absurdly superb right now…

• Jessica — February 10th, 2012 @ 8:31 am

Um, at least you didn’t come home from the gym and make it for lunch like… someone… I know did.

• Jane — February 10th, 2012 @ 8:36 am

Trust me, I am exercising all the willpower I have not to make this right, right now!

Kristen @ notsodomesticated — February 10, 2012 @ 8:28 am

I love this one because I have (almost) all of the ingredients! I just need to pick myself up some marshmallows! Happy Friday!!

Stephanie — February 10, 2012 @ 8:28 am

i was LITERALLY just talking to someone about cake in a mug yesterday. how do you read minds like that??

Blog is the New Black — February 10, 2012 @ 8:31 am

Oooooh need some of this! I have 5 minutes….

Kelly — February 10, 2012 @ 8:34 am

Sometimes I think my ass gets wider just by reading your blog….and I like it! :)

Christina @ This Woman Cooks! — February 10, 2012 @ 8:35 am

Yay! I heart this.

Heather (Heather's Dish) — February 10, 2012 @ 8:37 am

guac, ryan gosling, and chocolate peanut are all totally worth it. and now so is this cake! so dangerous that it’s so dang easy…

Kim in MD — February 10, 2012 @ 8:37 am

Heaven in a mug, I tell ya! :-)

Ali @ Peaches and Football — February 10, 2012 @ 8:39 am

HOLY COW – this is right up my alley!

I adore all things chocolate and the ability to whip something together in 5 minutes warms me to my toes!!

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat — February 10, 2012 @ 8:53 am

Yep, I’ll be making this for myself for Valentines Day! Oooh and ps. I’m going to see The Vow tonight!! I agree with you that Ryan Gosling is yummy, but Channing Tatum is verrrrry nice too!

steph@stephsbitebybite — February 10, 2012 @ 8:57 am

Um…what the WHAT?! A cake that takes five minutes. Is cooked in a mug. And “baked” by my microwave. How could this not be ah-mazing? Oh yeah…it has marshmallow fluff on top!

Lynne @ 365 Days of Baking — February 10, 2012 @ 9:01 am

Oh dear, this COULD be breakfast. I won’t tell anyone if you don’t and I think I deserve it after hiking up a mountain yesterday.

• Jessica — February 10th, 2012 @ 9:06 am

Um, you definitely deserve it in that case.

Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers — February 10, 2012 @ 9:12 am

5 Minutes! Fudge! Holy Crappers! This will be a wonderful quick Valentine’s Dessert or a quick chocolate fix for me!! I’m excited to try this!!!

Tracy via the traveling cupcake — February 10, 2012 @ 9:16 am

Umm these need to happen in my life – immediately! Happy Friday indeed!

Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles — February 10, 2012 @ 9:18 am

What a great breakfast idea! Thank you! ;) HA! I only wish I were kidding! …..I’ll hold off till the afternoon (maybe!)

Lauren at Keep It Sweet — February 10, 2012 @ 9:18 am

Well I don’t know if this is an amazing or horrible thing for me…

Yammie @ Yammie's Noshery — February 10, 2012 @ 9:20 am

I’ve been looking for a good mug cake recipe cause some of them look kind of sick!! This one looks awesome!

The Mrs @ Success Along the Weigh — February 10, 2012 @ 9:21 am

I might make these for company tomorrow! It’d be nice not to have to break out a ton of bowls to make something!

Maureen — February 10, 2012 @ 9:34 am

I don’t usually respond to your posts {crazy lurker here} but you always come up with the BEST recipes. Thank you for being a food genius and sharing with the rest of us! :)

• Jessica — February 10th, 2012 @ 1:47 pm

Thank you for commenting!

Elle Elizabeth — February 10, 2012 @ 9:34 am

I would marry that mug too! It looks delish!!!!!!! :)

Maryea {Happy Healthy Mama} — February 10, 2012 @ 9:40 am

I recently discovered how to make a single serving brownie in the microwave and my life has been changed forever. Seriously. This cake looks pretty darn amazing.

Stephanie — February 10, 2012 @ 9:45 am

S’mores are my favourite dessert in the entire world so I’m totally down. Do you ever just stick a marshmallow on a fork and toast it over a burner? Not that I myself do that. ;)

• Dianna — February 10th, 2012 @ 3:31 pm

only every time I have an open bag of marshmallows!.. I have even threaded mini-marshmallows on a skewer and toasted them… I mean,, uhh. toasted marshmallows!!
      I don’t do crazy things like sprinkle with cram crakers, or dip them in melted chocolate… not me!

Kayle @ The Cooking Actress — February 10, 2012 @ 9:52 am

It’s like….you’re in my brain. I am so excited to make this!

Emilie @ Emilie's Enjoyables — February 10, 2012 @ 9:56 am

I’ve been wanting to try these “cakes in a mug” for a while now, I think you may have finally convinced me.

Mansee — February 10, 2012 @ 10:02 am

Only you could make cake in a mug look as damn good as a regular cake. Looks amaaaazing!

Jenn @ Icing on the Cake — February 10, 2012 @ 10:04 am

I’ve made plain, simple chocolate mug cakes when I need a quick chocolate fix, but they always turn out dry! This one looks amazingly moist! Can’t wait to try it.

Em (Wine and Butter) — February 10, 2012 @ 10:04 am

Smores are the bestest!So are serves 1 desserts! Ive been doing muffin experimentation all week (God help my waistline – serious plea!). This AM I read your ‘baking meals/ desserts for 2 historic post’ – amazing! I realised (DUH) the genius of baking half batches. ALSO the advantage of baking your own muffins = you can eat ALL the muffin tops! No-one ever need know you even baked them (except when you try to blog about the muffins, and consider posting pic’s of the remaining bases….)

Emilia — February 10, 2012 @ 10:21 am

Oh my gosh. I have a little obsession with “baking” things in the microwave and this looks like it might just send that into overdrive. It looks amazing! Not to mention, smores seems like the perfect flavor for right now. Because smores is obviously a flavor :)

Mary — February 10, 2012 @ 10:22 am

i will second you on s’mores, guacamole, ryan gosling, and chocolate peanut butter being obsession worthy. im pretty sure i could live on those 4 things. this looks amazing! trying it this weekend!

Liz @ Tip Top Shape — February 10, 2012 @ 10:25 am

This looks amazing!!! And that butter-graham cracker quickie one sounds pretty great, too!! I kind of hate you now for giving me these really quick ways to inhale a bagillion calories!!!

Chelsy — February 10, 2012 @ 10:28 am

I have always wanted to try this! Because I am a super peanut butter fanatic and a devout member of P.B.A.A. I must add some peanut butter to this recipe. Yes, I know. I used to eat pb with my smores as a kid. It’s ah-mazing! I am off to have a love affair with that mug. No joke! Happy Friday!

MANGIA!!!

Taryn — February 10, 2012 @ 10:29 am

Are you going to write a cook book? Because you NEED to!!!

Sincerely Jill — February 10, 2012 @ 10:31 am

All I can say is… I. Want. That.

Gina @ Running to the Kitchen — February 10, 2012 @ 10:34 am

Mug cakes and I have a borderline inappropriate relationship. I’m pretty sure this recipe will now cross it over into full out inappropriateness and I love it! ;)

Katie — February 10, 2012 @ 10:38 am

Yesssssss!! Nothing in this world is better than knowing that I am five minutes from eating cake at alllll times. Now a smore and a cake?! I think I want to marry this mug AND you.

Sally @ Spontaneous Hausfrau — February 10, 2012 @ 10:50 am

The idea of putting graham crackers in the bottom of this is brilliant, splendid, and saving my life today. Actually, my husband’s life.

Maria — February 10, 2012 @ 10:58 am

I’m literally making this the minute I get home. First thing. Even before I find my sweatpants.

• Jessica — February 10th, 2012 @ 1:46 pm

Before sweatpants? That’s serious business.

Jessica @ Stylish Stealthy and Healthy — February 10, 2012 @ 11:20 am

I tried to make one of these little mug cakes the other day and it was a miserable failure. So I think the universe is telling me that I obviously need to try again. With this. No less than once a day for the next year.

Kelly — February 10, 2012 @ 11:24 am

Ok – my heart just went pitter patter when I saw the title of todays post. I’m not going to lie…I am guilty of making the 2 minute chocolate mug cake lately but this is just a whole new ball game. I was already thinking I wish I hadn’t found those recipes (for the sake of fitting into my pants) but now I will be thinking that even more. Must. try. this. ASAP!

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga — February 10, 2012 @ 11:30 am

Microwave, 5 minutes, cake, chocolate,…pretty much the prefect elements.

Was also thinking about your halfway open jars of coconut milk from yesterday’s post and wanted to LYK that there’s a product called coconut concentrate that you can literally mix up just how much coconut milk you need, thus avoiding opening a whole can if you just need 1/4 cup type of thing. It’s made by Tropical Traditions and is on their site. I love it!

Cassie — February 10, 2012 @ 11:36 am

Oh hi. These are the cutest (and most dangerous) mug cakes EVER.

Claire @ Live and Love to Eat — February 10, 2012 @ 12:25 pm

Your amazing recipes + the conveinence of a microwave = incredibly dangerous

Elizabeth @ chronic venture — February 10, 2012 @ 12:30 pm

Jessica! Stop it! Just stop it right now!

(this is amazing)

1 2 3 4

1. Pingback: Sample Saturday | Homekeeping Adventures

2. Pingback: Heavily Impressionable…Easily Influenced « This/That by Nat

3. Pingback: Sweet!!! « Luv What You Do

4. Pingback: Friday Thoughts | That Deep Breath

5. Pingback: Recipes | Pearltrees

6. Pingback: Recipes | Pearltrees

7. Pingback: A Secret | Lilveggiepatch

8. Pingback: S'mores Mug Cake & Versatile Blogger Awards! | New York City Eats

9. Pingback: Not-so-junky Chocolate Cake in a Mug. | It's Working for Me.

10. Pingback: Super-Fun, Single-Serving Recipes for Cake in a Mug :: Mr. Food's Blog

11. Pingback: What a Mug Cake Has To Do with Clean Eating | Eating Clean in the Dirty City

12. Pingback: A Million Mugs! … Or Just 10. « My Home Life | Decor, Design and DIY

13. Pingback: Food Trend: Mug Cakes | RecipeLionBlog

14. Pingback: Super-Fun, Single-Serving Recipes for Cake in a Mug | Everyday Test Kitchen

15. Pingback: Microwave Snacks You Can Cook In A Mug | PurpleWig

16. Pingback: food inspiration: 10 microwave in a mug desserts - Love Stitched

17. Pingback: Mug Recipes

18. Pingback: 18 Microwave Snacks You Can Cook In A Mug | German Beauty Sabine

19. Pingback: 18 Microwave Snacks You Can Cook In A Mug | Select Group Real Estate

20. Pingback: Delicious Microwave Snacks You Can Cook in A Mug

21. Pingback: 85 Single Serving Desserts - Something Swanky

22. Pingback: Prepará todo en una taza - Chismes Mundo | Chismes Mundo

23. Pingback: طريقه ١٣ حلو لذيذ و سريع بالمايكروييف | Kaifii

24. Pingback: Adorable Single Serving Mug Foods | OMG Cute Things

25. Pingback: Mojo » What’s In Your Cup? Dessert in a Mug

26. Pingback: A Sweet Tooth For S’mores • the CRAVE company • Connect. Inspire. Succeed.

27. Pingback: Urban Campfire | Share Stories. Merge Perspectives. – A Sweet Tooth For S’mores

28. Pingback: Receita de Bolo de Caneca (Que Não Parece Esponja) | #FKDK

29. Pingback: 18 Microwave Snacks You Can Cook In A Mug | Foxy, Fat, and FABULOUS!

30. Pingback: 18 Microwave Snacks You Can Cook In A Coffee Mug [BUZZFEED] | Workplace Emporium

31. Pingback: 18 Microwave Snacks You Can Cook In A Mug | The Food Explorer

32. Pingback: Inspiration of the Week – S’mores | EventFull

33. Pingback: More Than a S’more {Easy Oven-Broiled S’mores + 104 S’more Variations!} | Food Your Way

34. Pingback: S’more of the Week: Chocolate Fudge S’mores Mug Cake | sundaes & salutations

35. Pingback: 22 Quick and Tasty Snacks You Can Cook In A Mug | Style Motivation

36. Pingback: Dessert time! Microwave chocolate s’more mug cake! | Let's pig out!

37. Pingback: Top 3 of the Day | lostlikealice19

38. Pingback: My favourite mug cakes! | A PMQ for two (and three pets)

39. Pingback: THE BEST 5-MINUTE MUG CAKES | Best Friends For Frosting

40. Pingback: Mug Recipes | hidden in london

41. Pingback: Butterscotch Pudding for two | Dessert For Two

42. Pingback: [DIY] 18种微波炉+杯子就能简单煮出的美味食物 | 谈谈新闻俱乐部

43. Pingback: 2013 Christmas Mug Cakes | A legacy of good eats

44. Pingback: 23 Easy and Scrumptious Microwaveable Desserts

45. Pingback: Super-Fun, Single-Serving Recipes for Cake in a Mug | Mr. Food's Blog

46. Pingback: Delicious Snacks in a Mug | The Mystic Kitchen

47. Pingback: Microwavable Mug Creations: A Great Way to Avoid Campus Food | DIY Dorm

48. Pingback: 30 Quick Microwave Desserts You Can Cook in A Mug | Buzz + Inspired

49. Pingback: Receitas de microondas na caneca | Casar é um barato