Oh hi!

5 Minute Chocolate Fudge S'mores Mug Cake I howsweeteats.com

Just sharing a s’mores mug cake today. That can be made in 5 minutes.

You know… NO BIG DEAL.

5 Minute Chocolate Fudge S'mores Mug Cake I howsweeteats.com

Since you’re asking, yes… I have always thought the whole “cake in a mug in a microwave” thing was sort of skeevy. Well, until I was feeling superbly lazy last week and housing a mad chocolate craving. Like, really mad. So I gave it a try.

And another.

Annnnnd maybe another. Oops.

5 Minute Chocolate Fudge S'mores Mug Cake I howsweeteats.com

And another?

5 Minute Chocolate Fudge S'mores Mug Cake I howsweeteats.com

Then I thought… is there anything in the world that I’m more obsessed with than s’mores? Umm nope. There isn’t. But just so you know, I’m also allowed to say that about guacamole, Ryan Gosling and chocolate peanut butter. So stop looking at me that way.

In minutes, with a few tweaks and twists and makeshift graham crusts and marshmallow middles, I had a s’mores mug.

And it was just SO… FUDGEY.

5 Minute Chocolate Fudge S'mores Mug Cake I howsweeteats.com

Sidebar: for years as a quick treat, I’ve melted butter in a bowl, added graham cracker crumbs, thrown on some chocolate chips and marshmallows then stuffed it in the microwave for 10 seconds. Then I usually burn the roof of my mouth because I’m so impatient and inhale it anyway.

And you know what?

This is like, A BILLION TIMES BETTER.

5 Minute Chocolate Fudge S'mores Mug Cake I howsweeteats.com

Sorry for the shouting, but it’s necessary. !!!

This is a much more practical, easier, quicker version of my smore’s cake in a jar, with marshmallows stuffed in the center and even a few healthier adjustments.

I want to marry this mug. Don’t judge me.

5 Minute Chocolate Fudge S'mores Mug Cake I howsweeteats.com

And if you love someone (like yourself), this would be an outstanding choice for a fast Valentine’s Day dessert. So… love yourself. PUHlease.

5 Minute Chocolate Fudge S'mores Mug Cake I howsweeteats.com

5 Minute Chocolate Fudge S’mores Mug Cake

[adapted from food network]

makes 1 serving, can easily be doubled

2-3 tablespoons graham cracker crumbs

3 1/2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted

2 tablespoons granulated sugar

1 large egg

1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

1/4 cup whole wheat pastry flour

2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder (mine was dark cocoa, hence the dark color)

1/8 teaspoon baking powder

pinch of salt

1 1/2 ounces milk chocolate (chopped or morsels)

marshmallow fluff, cream or actual marshmallows

Combine 3 tablespoons butter and 1 ounce of chocolate in a small bowl, then melt in the microwave for 20-30 seconds. Set aside. In another bowl, combine remaining melted butter with 2-3 tablespoons of graham cracker crumbs and stir until moistened. Press graham crumbs into the bottom of your mug.

In a bowl. whisk egg, sugar and vanilla until smooth. Add in flour, baking powder, salt and cocoa, stir until a thick batter forms. Stream in melted butter and chocolate, mixing to combine. Fold in remaining chocolate chips. Add half of the mixture on top of the graham crust, then throw on a scoop of marshmallow fluff/cream or a few marshmallows. Add remaining batter on top, then pop in the microwave for 1 minute and 20 seconds to almost 2 minutes. Remove and top with additional marshmallow if desired. You can pop it back in the microwave for 5-10 seconds to make them melty, or pop them directly under the broiler for about 10 seconds to toast if desired. You can also use a kitchen torch if you have one. Sprinkle with graham crumbs!

Notes: If you don’t have whole wheat pastry flour, you can use all-purpose. I would not recommend using regular whole wheat. Additionally, I have made this by substituting coconut butter for the full amount of butter. It was just as delicious, albeit slightly drier. You cannot taste coconut at all. Finally, take into account the power of your microwave. Mine has a mind of it’s own and is insanely powerful, so I cooked this on 80% power. Judge accordingly and add/subtract a few minutes of cooking if you know your’s is wonky too. Unfortunately it may take 1-2 trial runs to get the right consistency because all microwaves are different, but I promise it’s worth it!

5 Minute Chocolate Fudge S'mores Mug Cake I howsweeteats.com

And that’s Friday for you.

255 Responses to “5 Minute Chocolate Fudge S’mores Mug Cake.”

Karriann — February 11, 2012 @ 12:13 pm

This seems to be the perfect dessert for Valentine’s! Yum!

“Happy Cooking”

Nicole — February 11, 2012 @ 1:59 pm

I just so happened to have all of the ingredients except eggs… but I made it anyway. Whoa. That is some pretty awesome microwave cake! I can’t wait to try it again after grabbing some eggs.

Saucy Tomatoes — February 11, 2012 @ 7:37 pm

My sweet tooth is intrigued! Great recipe with Valentines Day just around the corner. Fantastic photos too!

Ashley — February 11, 2012 @ 8:17 pm

Oh my, this could be dangerous. Looks sooooo good!

alanna s — February 11, 2012 @ 8:19 pm

my first try was a little rubbery at the bottom, but oh my god so tasty!!

definitely something to play around with in the future!!!

Kelsy — February 11, 2012 @ 10:29 pm

This was awesome! Mine came out perfectly at 90 seconds. It was really dense so I added some milk to soften it up a little. My taste buds thank you a million times over. Though I’ll have to spend some more time at the gym because I probably won’t be able to stop myself from throwing this together on an almost daily basis. I’m thinking a peanut butter version will make an appearance in my mug tomorrow….

Love you blog :)

Kelsy — February 11, 2012 @ 10:29 pm

*love your blog.

that was awkward… haha.

beth@kitchenminions — February 11, 2012 @ 11:00 pm

I was tempted to make some marshmallows so I could make this but alas, I don’t have gelatin. Looks delicious!

Yammie @ Yammie's Noshery — February 12, 2012 @ 12:12 am

This is definitely the best mug cake recipe I’ve tried yet! I didn’t have any solid chocolate, marshmallows, or graham crackers (sigh) but the actually cake turned out perfectly. I substituted Nutella for the melted chocolate and I also added some extra cocoa powder because I was having a chocolate emergency. Thanks for helping me pull through!

• emily W. — February 18th, 2012 @ 10:33 pm

Ooooh….good idea on Nutella sub! Stealing. :D

thelittleloaf — February 12, 2012 @ 4:45 am

Chocolate in a mug is awesome! I thought it was a lazy excuse too until I tried it, now there’s no going back. Yum.

Kath — February 12, 2012 @ 11:46 am

Must. Buy. Marshmallows.

Monica — February 12, 2012 @ 6:06 pm

Do you think I could mix up a few batches and keep it in the fridge to use later in the day?
    I’m thinking this would be a fun thing to do with my class on Valentine’s Day.

Sarah @ studiofood — February 12, 2012 @ 6:40 pm

Oh good lord, I did NOT need anyone to make baking anything this delicious easier and more accessible. Now it will always be in the back of my mind that this fudgy piece of awesomeness could be mine, in just 5 minutes. Someone get me a padded cell!

Desiree — February 12, 2012 @ 8:52 pm

oh. my. goodness. what an amazing treat. must try this soon!!!

victoria winters — February 12, 2012 @ 9:12 pm

I am officially salivating, thank you very much.

Emily — February 12, 2012 @ 10:52 pm

Yes. PLEASE.

Sylvie @ Gourmande in the Kitchen — February 13, 2012 @ 4:29 am

Oh yes! This is definitely going to be dangerous for me.

Ronda — February 13, 2012 @ 12:22 pm

Okay making these immediatly, well when I get home from work. Going to be so good. I too am obsessed with s’mores, Ryan Gosling and Guacamole. We could be best friends.

sara — February 13, 2012 @ 1:02 pm

Wow, this looks amazing! So rich and delicious. :)

Frances — February 13, 2012 @ 2:36 pm

I need to work on making this some more – my first attempt ended up all over the outside of the mug and all over my microwave. lol.

Sarah @ The Healthy Diva — February 13, 2012 @ 5:37 pm

i want this cake now….and thankfully I can too…microwave here i come!

chloe — February 13, 2012 @ 6:49 pm

Thanks for the awesome recipe! What a clever idea! I’m making these for my husband and I on v-day…can’t wait.

Lucia — February 13, 2012 @ 7:02 pm

It looks wonderful! I will try it :)

Alysha — February 15, 2012 @ 3:21 pm

This seems to be the perfect Valentine’s Day dinner…uh…I mean dessert.

Lisa @ Snappy Gourmet — February 26, 2012 @ 9:30 pm

Yummy!!

Shreya — February 27, 2012 @ 11:16 pm

So I followed the recipe the first time and my super powerful microwave gave me a good but completely cooked chocolate cake. I was more in the mood for something like a molten chocolate/brownie consistency so the next time I mixed up the egg, sugar, vanilla, SCANT 1/4 c flour, salt (omitted baking powder), dark cocoa and then added that to the melted 2 tbsp butter + 1/4 c chips. Nuked it for just under 1 min in 15 sec intervals and stopped JUST as I saw it puff for the first time. OH MY GOD. Molten cake, dense, SUPER chocolatey (might cut back on cocoa), and the uncooked part created this amazing sauce for the cake part. Done and done.

Rose — May 16, 2012 @ 2:09 am

I tried this 4 times yesterday. The cake came out like a dense rubbery loaf.

Amanda — May 18, 2012 @ 2:18 am

I just made this, although I changed a couple things. I like butter, so I added a little more butter. And I’m a graham cracker fiend, so I added some more of that on bottom. But it’s delicious! :D

• Amanda — May 18th, 2012 @ 4:23 pm

Oh, and I noticed that if you cook the cake with the marshmallows on top when the cake is PERFECT consistency, it gets really dry. Mainly because my microwave took 45 seconds to cook the darned marshmallows.

Heather — May 28, 2012 @ 11:13 pm

OHHHH my gosh this is the most fantastic dessert eeeeever. Thank you so much!

Molly — June 3, 2012 @ 8:36 pm

This was ridiculously good and scarily easy. Shouldn’t have looked at this whilst in the middle of my university exams….can see I’m going to have to hit the gym hard when I finish…hahaloljks. I used normal wholewheat flour as we don’t have the pastry version in the US – I should have probably read your note saying use all-purpose…it still came out tasty, however, I’ll use normal next time! I also subbed half the butter for applesauce, the sugar for stevia and the milk chocolate for dark chocolate! Worked perfectly. Zapped it for 90 seconds which was too long for my microwave, so I’ll do 60 next time to yield a more fudgy, pudding like result :)

Molly — June 3, 2012 @ 8:37 pm

correction: that should have read ‘we don’t have pastry flour in AUSTRALIA’…haha

Iris — June 13, 2012 @ 3:59 pm

I made this for the first time last month and three more times since then. I know the recipe by heart now. Dangerous, dangerous!

Nori — June 20, 2012 @ 10:56 am

I have just the recipe for you!!! 3-2-1 Cake. You mix one box of dry angel food cake mix with one box of any other flavor you like (choc/white/yellow/red) dry. Mix the two boxes together in a gallon ziploc bag and you have your ingredients. Now comes the 3-2-1. You will use a coffee mug for this. Into the mug you put 3 Tbls. dry mix, 2 Tbls. water, microwave for 1 minute. Thus the 3-2-1. Just put the dry mix in your mug then add the water and stir well. Cook 1 minute and you have a perfect little cake anytime you want. You can keep the dry mix in the bag and just pull it out when you want it. No messy mixing bowl, beaters or anything. Just your mug for mixing and baking. Turn the mug upside down after cooking and shake it. Cake will fall right out. You can top it with your favorite toppings.

• TForee — May 4th, 2013 @ 12:40 pm

Thx, I did not care for that mixing and transferring things. Hope this is good. Thx

Olivia — July 17, 2012 @ 11:41 pm

LOL! I love your blogging style! Found you through Stumbleupon, and I must say, you really did make me LOL!
    Drooling a little at the thought of making one right now !!

Nathan — July 27, 2012 @ 12:03 pm

We featured your recipes in out weekly Food Trend Friday blog post. You can check it out here. Thanks and love the recipes!

Natalie — August 2, 2012 @ 4:01 am

It’s 3 am and I just made this mug cake and as a college student I cannot thank you enough. This recipe has been the best mug cake recipe I have tried. The consistency at 1 min 30 seconds in the microwave and it’s like a miracle. I wanted to share…. Instead of using any chocolate chips I melted unsalted butter with Hershey’s chocolate syrup … The cocoa powder was Hershey’s as well. It was DELICIOUS!!! Great for when you simply need a chocolate fix. Bless you!

Maria Fahlsing — August 23, 2012 @ 9:44 pm

I made this tonight and only ate half, because this dessert is 1,000 calories. Now, I’m on a mission to make a lighter version so I can make my cake and eat it, too (without guilt).

Becky — November 16, 2012 @ 10:16 pm

This looks AMAZING must buy more coco powder so I can make it!!! :)

Bakeca Trieste — January 14, 2013 @ 10:01 am

Wow…looks delicious! I’ll surely try the recipe…Thanks for sharing!

Amber — January 25, 2013 @ 3:12 pm

I just tried it on this cold snowy day and although it was yummy, the marshmellows from the center overflowed my cup and made a mess in my microwave! Any advice on how to avoid this???

Adam — February 6, 2013 @ 8:22 pm

Takes way more than 5 minutes

thoughts du jour — March 5, 2013 @ 6:31 pm

Such an awesome recipe! I just made it and it satisfied the sweet tooth craving I’ve been having all day. I did use whole wheat flour, and I think it gave it a nice texture. I also used a pretty large mug, which worked well. I used regular mini-marshmallows, but they all were completely disintegrated by the time it was done microwaving. Still, it was an excellent cake! I featured my attempt at the recipe on my blog here . :)

Ashley — March 11, 2013 @ 7:59 pm

Hi! LOVE your blog! This is the second time I’ve ran across it, first on Pinterest and then again on a recent elleandblair.com post! I’m trying this out right now!!

V & M — March 24, 2013 @ 3:14 pm

This is a really nice recipe. Thanks! :-)

Greetings from Finland.

dundee — April 11, 2013 @ 7:43 pm

I take it the marshmallows aren’t supposed to rapidly expand and pop the top of the cake off like a cannon, are they

if I try this again, definitely using regular marshmallows, rather than a couple of torn up huge ones

and maybe a bigger mug

Jenn T. — April 19, 2013 @ 5:59 am

I tried the recipe and it works great, but there’s one problem. I’ve got no cocoa powder. Four AM. Chocolate craving. No cocoa powder. After moving on from utter devastation, i decided to replace it with a tablespoon of cinnamon. I did everything else according to recipe, but I did add in a tablespoon of walnuts. My marshmallows rose to the top instead of staying buried in the middle, but it was still delicious with a big scoop of ice cream. I tried it with peanut butter instead just for fun. It’s to die for.

Ellen @ The Baking Bluenoser — May 5, 2013 @ 10:35 pm

Anything made in a mug is something I can get on board with! Love it!

Insurance Company Chooseyou — May 23, 2013 @ 6:02 pm

I’m now not positive where you’re getting your information, but great topic.

I must spend a while studying more or understanding more.

Thank you for wonderful info I was looking for
    this info for my mission.

Hihi — June 10, 2013 @ 8:06 pm

This is a LIE! It exploded and went everywhere and tasted pooooopy!
    YUUUUCK
    Stick to the real smores!
    SMORES FO LYFE YALL

Elizabeth — June 23, 2013 @ 6:55 pm

This was OK. Mine came out pretty rubbery but a lot of that has to do with cooking time and microwave power. The concept is great, but I hate wasting precious s’more-building ingredients :( Maybe I’ll give it a few tweaks, as I (like a lot of you folks) prefer molten and fudgy to rubbery and dry. At least it didn’t overflow!