Let’s call this… lunch in a hurry.

Because if you could see the state of my house right now you’d probably cry.

I’ve been playing single lady for two days and when this happens… I don’t clean up after myself. Ever.

I make fast and furious meals, if they can even be called such, so I can hurry back to my Felicity marathon. I peel the labels off of wine bottles while I’m drinking glasses and think about making pretty collages with them even though I don’t have a crafty bone in my body. So I just drink more wine and peel more labels.

I experiment with extra-glittery eye shadow and wonder when I became too old to wear my prized Urban Decay Uzi or streak my underlashes with hot pink liner. I light about 67 candles and really, really, REALLY blast my Taylor Dayne Pandora station until I’ve sufficiently had enough of Whitney Houston. Which, let’s be honest – is never.

I get sort of depressed that my husband will actually be home when The Vow comes out in theaters because if he wasn’t, I would use that as a perfectly good excuse to drop everything I’m doing in the middle of the afternoon and go see it by myself with about 8 million snacks. I love snacks.

I make blanket forts on the couch and research random celebrity lives on wikipedia and buy 16 magazines in one day because I feel like I’m on vacation and then read them while I eat dip for dinner.

It’s true… it’s a problem. An excellent one.

Oh I also eat a lot of pickles and olives. I don’t know. It’s just a thing I do.

I need to talk about coconut milk. I am a girl possessed. And a girl obsessed.

It’s no secret that I’ve always adored all things coconut, but lately we’ve been going through can after can after can after can after… yeah. And I only use a cup or so at a time, or maybe even less, so I’m left with all these stupid half-open cans of coconut milk in my fridge. Which is an awesome problem to have, if you are handy and creative and not wasteful.

Unfortunately, I am none of those things. After throwing out three perfectly full-but-now-gross cans last week (frown), I’d had enough.

Besides wanting to slather it all over my body and take a coconut milk bath, I constantly want to ingest it. I mean… I love it in EVERYTHING. Even vegetables. So weird. I know. I know you guys!

Is this weird?

I just know that’s what you’re thinking. Beans and garlic and citrus and coconut milk? I haven’t been smoking a thing, I swear. But I uh, HAVE been putting coconut milk in just about everything.

You probably shouldn’t combine it with the pickles and olives. You know… FYI.

This dip is creamy from the coconut milk and caramely from the garlic and a little refreshing from the citrus and perfect spread on an entire box of crackers for your lunch or dinner, with a side of apples and peanut butter and some chunks of cheese. And it’s allll yours. Do the darn thing.

Coconut Milk + Citrus White Bean Spread

makes about 3/4 cup dip

1 can (15 oz) cannellini beans, drained and rinsed

1 bulb of roasted garlic

zest of 1 orange

2 tablespoons freshly squeezed orange juice

1/4-1/3 cup canned light coconut milk

1/4 teaspoon salt

1/4 teaspoon pepper

Add beans and roasted garlic to a food processor and pulse then process until combined and smooth. Add in orange juice and zest, pulsing to combine, then with the processor on stream in coconut milk. Season with salt and pepper, then taste and add additional salt or coconut milk if desired. Top with green onions or anything else delicious you like. Serve immediately. Can be stored in the fridge for 2-3 days.

Done being weird.

107 Responses to “Coconut Milk + Citrus White Bean Spread.”

Becki's Whole Life — February 9, 2012 @ 8:09 am

You are too funny….do you really make blanket forts?? Ha ha:-)

I love coconut milk, too. I love coconut water and can’t understand why people think it’s gross….I can’t get enough of it after a workout! I get this dip…the beans are kind of a blank slate taste-wise so the citrus and coconut are a perfect combo and then the garlic gives it some spiciness. Love your creativity and this sounds delicious!

• Jessica — February 9th, 2012 @ 8:11 am

Oh I’m one of the weirdos that thinks coconut water is disgusting… just find it to be so “wet.” I know… weird. However, I do love the Zico chocolate coconut water. Of course.

• Jessica — February 9th, 2012 @ 10:25 am

oh my goodness…i’m the same way w/ coconut water and it’s consistency. grosses me out. still waiting to try the zico chocolate one though.

Erika - The Teenage Taste — February 9, 2012 @ 8:10 am

Looks fabulous! I would have never thought of adding coconut milk to a bean dip – I bet it’s super creamy now! :-D

Ali @ Peaches and Football — February 9, 2012 @ 8:10 am

I wish I could get my boyfriend to go see a chick flick with me. He’s adamantly opposed though.I guess I’ll just use it as an excuse to enjoy some snack girl time!

I love coconut milk. I started using it last year and can’t believe how versatile it is! Would never have thought to put it in a bean dip with orange juice!

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey — February 9, 2012 @ 8:11 am

You’re my favorite when you make things I can eat. AAaaand you should make your husband go see The Vow with you. I’m making mine go!

Katrina — February 9, 2012 @ 8:12 am

I loooove this freaking idea! Coconut milk in hummus, whaaaat?!

Bev Weidner — February 9, 2012 @ 8:21 am

I have just seriously died and gone to coconut milk + citrus white bean spread heaven.

It’s nice here.

Clare — February 9, 2012 @ 8:22 am

you could whip up your leftover coconut milk into this: http://nuttykitchen.com/2010/06/01/coconut-whipped-cream/
    I saw it on Pinterest (obvi) and was amazed.

• Jessica — February 9th, 2012 @ 11:40 am

I have made the coconut whipped cream before – it is amazing!

Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers — February 9, 2012 @ 8:28 am

Wow this is creative, and I know I will totally love this!! You know whats perfect? I made a flop the other day and I have left over coconut milk, woohoo, now I get to try this spread! LOVE Coconut!

Rodzilla — February 9, 2012 @ 8:29 am

like others already said, I love coconut and have never seen a pairing like this. I’ll have to try!

Bronya @ Daisy Cakes — February 9, 2012 @ 8:35 am

I secretly love the chance of a bit of girl slob action when the hubster is away….and you get full control of the TV remote…..and you get ALL of the bed!!

And I’m with you, I never eat a proper meal….this recipe is in my book for the next home alone moment!

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat — February 9, 2012 @ 8:37 am

I would have never thought to mix coconut milk, garlic, beans and citrus together but you’ve done an amazing job of it! I’m with you on The Vow… I’m such a sucker for chick flicks!

Aimee @ ShugarySweets — February 9, 2012 @ 8:38 am

Genius! Hate those stupid half cans of anything in the fridge. Three weeks later there’s about 5 different things spilling and dripping down the back of the fridge and it’s like a science experiment! Gross.

Sally @ Spontaneous Hausfrau — February 9, 2012 @ 8:44 am

Now that is an interesting combo – I’m thinking this would be really good smushing out the sides of a sandwich.

Ugh, this is awful, but I really love it when my hubby is out of town. The only difference between you and me though – I go to town cleaning the house so I can enjoy how spotless it is and STAYS when he’s gone. I should probably start drinking instead.

The Mrs @ Success Along the Weigh — February 9, 2012 @ 8:45 am

Those are 2 things I never would’ve thought to put together! Gotta give it a try since I’ve got some TJ’s coconut milk asking to be used.

Heather (Heather's Dish) — February 9, 2012 @ 9:04 am

single lady living doesn’t sound too bad :) especially when it means lots of pickles and then dip for dinner. and movies in the middle of the day!

kathleen @ the daily crumb — February 9, 2012 @ 9:05 am

gahhh! wish i’d had this for super bowl sunday!! looks so delicious.

Amanda — February 9, 2012 @ 9:10 am

Elana’s Pantry has a recipe for peppermint hot chocolate made with canned coconut milk. Might be a good use of those partial cans. Just sayin’.

Stephanie @ Eat. Drink. Love. — February 9, 2012 @ 9:24 am

I love coconut milk, but I never thought about using it in a dip like this! Totally want to try it now!

Abby Flynt — February 9, 2012 @ 9:27 am

I just bought three cans of coconut milk when I went shopping on Monday. You know, just in case. This rocks my world: http://www.tastebook.com/recipes/1782579-Dairy-Free-Mocha-Mocha-Coconut-Milk-Ice-Cream

• Jessica — February 9th, 2012 @ 11:39 am

OMG. Yum.

beth@kitchenminions — February 9, 2012 @ 9:35 am

Your single lady routine is so similar to mine! It’s such a treat to be home alone :)

Emilie @ Emilie's Enjoyables — February 9, 2012 @ 9:41 am

Felicity was such a great show, I totally understand your need to watch it

Becky — February 9, 2012 @ 9:58 am

Felicity marathon??? AH!!!!!! I freakin’ love that show – I have the entire series on DVD and watch it all the way through about once (let’s be honest – more like three times) a year … I like to put an episode on while I’m cooking :)

Mansee — February 9, 2012 @ 10:00 am

I am a single lady, so everything you said up there is basically my life. All the time.

Lauren — February 9, 2012 @ 10:12 am

Three things:
    That looks delicious;
    I actually do use the rest of my coconut milk to make a body scrub with brown suger and it’s AMAZING. It smells wonderful and your skin gets really silky. Sometimes I squeeze in a little lime juice to help the exfoliation;
    Once I poured the rest of a can of coconut milk into a cleaned out sour cream container (because I’m cheap and reuse them). Two days later, I made tacos and my husband poured the coconut all over his tacos thinking it was really sour cream. I couldn’t stop laughing for hours. If sour cream were that consistency I’m pretty sure it would kill you….

• Jessica — February 9th, 2012 @ 11:38 am

Hahahaha! Oh my gosh.

Debbie — February 9, 2012 @ 10:13 am

This is perfect timing, because I just opened my very first can of coconut milk last night and only used 1/4 cup of it. Today’s mission was going to be to find ways to use up the rest of the can. I think I’ll be giving this a try.

Erin — February 9, 2012 @ 10:18 am

I always measure, freeze the leftover coconut milk in ziplock freezer bags…pour into the bag, press all the air out, then freeze flat on a sheet pan, so it doesn’t take up much space and thaws quickly. I do the same with leftover tomato paste! :-)

• Jessica — February 9th, 2012 @ 11:38 am

I will do that!

Jessica — February 9, 2012 @ 10:23 am

this sounds wonderful!…you always have the most interesting recipes…

Em (Wine and Butter) — February 9, 2012 @ 10:26 am

Hi Jess – I wanted to comment yesterday but somehow my fingers are too maclo to type comments via I-phone. BUT I thought the post was really beautiful – especially the last line. I love that people can live on through recipes!! AND this one !! I’m not totally I’m ready to be that unusual – but I love how totally original you are. I just blog about relatively regular recipes that I’omg’ added more vinegar or herbs to (love vinegar and herbs) – your inventiveness is definitely something to aim for! I’m trying again with chocolate espresoo martini cake this weekend!

• Jessica — February 9th, 2012 @ 11:37 am

Thanks so much Em! Keep me posted on the cake. :)

Kelsey@ ReadySetFeast — February 9, 2012 @ 10:27 am

I need this. Like right now. Like yesterday.

Chelsy — February 9, 2012 @ 10:42 am

oh girl, you know I am all about some coconut. Especially if it comes in liquid form. My shrimp took a dip in a coconut milk bath the other night…….soooooo worth it! Yum! Also, that dip looks like the next one on my hit list, I think I might try it with some caramelized onions, I love vegetables that have been browned until they taste like candy. I will be lucky if they even make it into the dish. BTW, those freaking gluten-free rice crackers, are like crack, although I have never done drugs, I assume that that is what crack would be like in “crack”er form? I crack myself up. Okay. Stopping. Now.
    xo!

MANGIA!!!

• Jessica — February 9th, 2012 @ 11:37 am

OMG… those are unreal. I can’t stop eating them. Part of me wishes I was gluten free so I could pretend that I could survive on only those.

Michelle — February 9, 2012 @ 10:43 am

I put leftover coconut milk in the freezer (along with everything else!) – then just throw it into smoothies, curries, etc. Love your recipes!

• Jessica — February 9th, 2012 @ 11:36 am

Good call – I will do that!

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga — February 9, 2012 @ 10:45 am

I know you love TJs white bean dip and I know you love coconut milk…this looks right up your alley….and it looks amazing!

Gina @ Running to the Kitchen — February 9, 2012 @ 11:03 am

Ok, this is a combo I would’ve never in a million years dreamed up. Weird and intriguing all at the same time ;) The half open can thing happens to me all the time with chicken broth!

Casey — February 9, 2012 @ 11:19 am

I can’t be trusted around roasted garlic. There’s a 75% chance that I’ll start eating the cloves as snacks by themselves.

Mary S. — February 9, 2012 @ 11:23 am

I miss the days of snacking on olives, pickles and pepperocini peppers and eating soft pretzels or popcorn for dinner…and washing it down with a bottle of wine in my blanket fort while watching every season of “Friends.” I wonder if my husband has to travel any time soon (finger crossed?).

Cookbook Queen — February 9, 2012 @ 11:25 am

I am addicted to those pretzel crackers. ADDICTED.

Also, when my husband is gone, I eat lots of candy and don’t wear make-up and stay up super super super late. And sometimes I even go out shopping. Late at night. Like a vampire. It’s like a whole other life, right?

Love coconut milk ANYTHING. Yum!!

• Jessica — February 9th, 2012 @ 11:35 am

I ALWAYS stay up super late. It’s killing me. Like right now? I’m dying.

Cait's Plate — February 9, 2012 @ 11:54 am

Please never be done being weird. It makes me feel more normal that there are more people like me out there :)

Katie — February 9, 2012 @ 12:17 pm

Can I come play “single-lady-without-a-baby” for a couple days at your house? I want to snack all day and watch Felicity non-stop. Maybe I’ll just send Meeker on a weekend vacation with the nugget…then I’ll make this recipe.

honeywhatscooking — February 9, 2012 @ 12:35 pm

you’re sooooooooooo cute! We would totally get along. :-) I just complimented myself, too. I LOVE FELICITY! I was obsessed with her because of her curly hair, and I have curly hair too. I can’t wait for The Vow to come out.. It looks like such a great movie. I’m hoping my hubbs takes me on a date for Valentine’s day. Love the idea of coconut milk in a dip. Smart!

stephanie @cookinfanatic — February 9, 2012 @ 12:45 pm

I have finally met someone who feels the same way about coconut as I do!!!! I seriously think it might be the best flavor ever ever ever in the world. Haha I remember making the “I’d even bathe in it”comment to someone one day and I swear they looked at me like I was a crazed person…. so glad you are accepting and wouldn’t do so to me haha ;) This dip sounds phenomenal. I had my first white bean dip just the other night and found it truly delicious, so I can only imagine what coconut would do for it! Bookmarked :)

Liz @ Tip Top Shape — February 9, 2012 @ 12:51 pm

Is Felicity any good? They have the entire series on Netflix Instant and I’ve been debating whether or not to start watching it…

• Jessica — February 9th, 2012 @ 3:36 pm

Oh dear. It’s AMAZING. However… it’s more than 10 years old so I think it depends on your taste.

Meg — February 9, 2012 @ 1:18 pm

Roasted garlic makes anything better. The other day I ate one whole — is that weird? My husband, not surprisingly, did not want to kiss me afterward.

Margarita — February 9, 2012 @ 1:19 pm

You are hilarious! This is a very new but oh so deli opus combo.

Margarita — February 9, 2012 @ 1:20 pm

I meant delicious. I hate these auto spell check thingie.

Ashley @ Wishes and Dishes — February 9, 2012 @ 1:22 pm

Blanket forts hahahaa Love it. Great recipe and…as always, amazing pictures!

Sarah Didier — February 9, 2012 @ 1:37 pm

I hate to be the fatty here but have you tried Thai Coconut Milk? NOT lite but the whole legit milk kind? Ummm, it’s so good you can lick it out of the can with your fingers and die of happiness. I discovered it when making your lightened up sweet potato casserole and they were out of lite. TRY!

• Jessica — February 9th, 2012 @ 2:18 pm

Yes I have! I love it!

stephchows — February 9, 2012 @ 2:10 pm

OOO I love anything coconut so this sounds perrrfect!

Jenn @ Icing on the Cake — February 9, 2012 @ 2:48 pm

I HAVE to go see The Vow when it comes out. It looks uh-mazing. And I can’t say that I’ve ever tried coconut milk, but I do remember not liking coconut water when I tried it. Is coconut milk that much better than coconut water?

Becca @ Cook, Rejoice, Repeat — February 9, 2012 @ 3:11 pm

I’ll be honest: When I saw the title, I was skeptical. But now … hoollly cow, that looks amazing. On the dips-to-make list for sure.

1. Pingback: Whole Wheat Greek Yogurt Pancakes | How Sweet It Is