Pancakes!

Greek Yogurt Pancakes I howsweeteats.com

It’s what’s for dinner.

And lunch.

And if you’re feeling extra loopy… maybe even breakfast.

Sinseriously.

Greek Yogurt Pancakes I howsweeteats.com

That’s my new word. It’s like a hybrid of sincerely and seriously and I say it when I’m really sincerely serious. You know… just trying it on for size.

Unfortunately I fear it’s going the way of “fetch,” Gretchen Wieners style.

But pancakes!

I had no intention of making pancakes on Saturday morning, but then I started craaaaving them. We’ve been making a ton of pancakes each week with mashed bananas, but as I began to assemble my ingredients I realized that zero bananas did we have. We also were out of eggs. Ruh roh. The only semi-nonweird ingredient I could find in my fridge that MIGHT work was a container of Greek yogurt. Bingo.

The pancakes were fine indeed. After a few tweaks and tests, I determined that this was my favorite recipe in all the land, and that you should have it. Plus, we ended up eating a LOT of pancakes this weekend because of that… and you know I don’t like to be alone.

Greek Yogurt Pancakes I howsweeteats.com

Now now… these are not your super fluffy, buttery, traditional pancakes. They won’t be for everyone… but they might be for you. We were both huge fans, however they have a slightly different consistency than your regular faves. Semi-fluffy, almost creamy and delightfully dense. I told you I was obsessed with coconut milk, member? And “obsessed” just means I really have four open cans in my fridge that need used… again.

Anyhoo. These reminded me more of a healthy-tasting buckwheat pancake.

Wait. Not sure I’ve ever had a buckwheat pancake?

But they remind me of what a buckwheat pancake would taste like if I was to have one.

Which is an excellent thing, even if I have no clue what I’m talking about.

Greek Yogurt Pancakes I howsweeteats.com

Whole Wheat Greek Yogurt Pancakes

makes about 15 pancakes

2 cups whole wheat pastry flour

2 teaspoons baking powder

1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon

1/4 teaspoon salt

2 1/2 cups light (canned) coconut milk

1 6-ounce container plain, nonfat Greek yogurt

1 tablespoons vanilla extract

1 1/2 tablespoons honey

In a large bowl, whisk flour, baking powder, salt and cinnamon. Add milk, yogurt, vanilla and honey, whisking until smooth.

Heat a nonstick griddle or skillet over medium heat. Using a 1/4 cup measure, pour batter into rounds. Let cook until bubbles appear on the surface, about 3-4 minutes, then flip and cook for an additional 1-2 minutes. Serve with butter, syrup and fruit.

Note: these pancakes are fairly thin and not quick as fluffy as your typical pancakes. I find that they do not reheat very well (like the next morning), but are great when first made. You can replace the whole wheat pastry flour with all-purpose (do not use regular whole wheat), but you may have to decrease the coconut milk by 1/2-3/4 cup.

Greek Yogurt Pancakes I howsweeteats.com

I like you.

138 Responses to “Greek Yogurt Pancakes.”

Kathryn — February 28, 2012 @ 8:01 am

Oh I have a tub of greek yogurt that needs using up in my fridge right now! This looks like the best way!

Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles — February 28, 2012 @ 8:02 am

I have been craving breakfast food like it has been my job! Yummmmm! I am all over this recipe!

Katrina — February 28, 2012 @ 8:03 am

These sound delightful! I love the ingredients in these…so simple, and full of many of my favorite flavours. Can’t wait to throw these down into my belly!

Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers — February 28, 2012 @ 8:04 am

I was intrigued since you were making yogurt pancakes, thats my weekend specialty. I love your recipe and your pictures look delish!!

Nicky @ Pink Recipe Box — February 28, 2012 @ 8:04 am

Yum! I’ve never thought of substituting greek yoghurt for eggs for a pancake recipe. Must give this a try!

Simply Life — February 28, 2012 @ 8:05 am

oh these are so creative! I’ve never craved pancakes so much!

Ali @ Peaches and Football — February 28, 2012 @ 8:07 am

ooooh I am all over these! I’m loving coconut milk and adding in honey, vanilla, and yogurt takes it up a notch!

Looks like a wonderful weekend breakfast recipe to try out!

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey — February 28, 2012 @ 8:09 am

loooooove pancakes. The only problem is that I’m hungry like 2 seconds after I eat them. Which, I guess isn’t really a problem when you think about it.

Bridget {bake at 350} — February 28, 2012 @ 8:09 am

I love this idea! Greek yogurt and coconut milk! I just happen to have both on hand. Might be time for my second breakfast of the day. ;)

Maria — February 28, 2012 @ 8:10 am

Yum! These look great, I really do need to invest in a bag of pastry flour. It really seems like the thing to do ;)

Sally @ sally's baking addiction — February 28, 2012 @ 8:12 am

very creative, Jessica! they look wonderfully healthy and wholesome. i could eat these for bfast, lunch, and/or dinner. my favorite dinners when i was growing up was when my mom made pancakes! :)

Quiche-ing Queen — February 28, 2012 @ 8:16 am

Yummy!

Kulsum at JourneyKitchen — February 28, 2012 @ 8:21 am

this looks decadent without the guilt. Me likey.

Erica — February 28, 2012 @ 8:23 am

Gotta love when you realize you’re out of half of the ingredients you need for something! Way to make due. Greek yogurt is amazeballs

Gen — February 28, 2012 @ 8:23 am

Yum!!! These look amazing!!!! I loove pancakes! Quick question, though….living in brazil we don’t have greek yogurt….would regular work or is it too thin?

• Jessica — February 28th, 2012 @ 8:34 am

I didn’t try it, but I fear that it might be too thin. Not positive though!

Laurie {Simply Scratch} — February 28, 2012 @ 8:29 am

Great to see we’re on the same wavelength again! These look like perfection!

Stephanie — February 28, 2012 @ 8:32 am

ohmigod this is so fetch.

Kate — February 28, 2012 @ 8:37 am

Thanks for the recipe! I am making some just now…for my daughter’s playdate.
    I did not have whole wheat, so I mixed some allpurpose with oatflakes (mixed to powder). It works! And its yummy…

• Jessica — February 28th, 2012 @ 8:42 am

Let me know how they turn out!

Michele — February 28, 2012 @ 8:41 am

just about died in the middle of the hallway when i read ‘sinseriously’.

sinseriously considering making this for dinner because it just so happens i’m home by myself tonight.
    …….
    grool.

Vicky @ Recipe Adaptors — February 28, 2012 @ 8:44 am

I can’t believe that there isn’t a heap of bacon sandwiched between those pancakes… :-)

The Mrs @ Success Along the Weigh — February 28, 2012 @ 8:48 am

Um, I think I’m changing what we’re having for dinner tonight.

Villy @ For the love of Feeding — February 28, 2012 @ 8:49 am

They look sinseriously awesome! But then again, you say Greek yogurt to the Greek.. :) Can’t wait to try them!

Heather (Heather's Dish) — February 28, 2012 @ 8:51 am

um, feed me already. i need a pile of these to faceplant into!

Kim in MD — February 28, 2012 @ 8:58 am

These are definately drool worthy this morning!

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat — February 28, 2012 @ 8:59 am

Wow, what a stack!! :) I’m in the process of working on a Greek yogurt high-protein pancake and sadly they don’t quite look as tasty to the eye as yours do, but I will persevere! I’ve already got lunch packed for work today, but I could probably make yours for dinner… ;)

Bev Weidner — February 28, 2012 @ 9:05 am

Holy.
    Freaking.
    Crap.

Catalina @ Cake with Love — February 28, 2012 @ 9:06 am

Sinseriously these look delicious!

Lauren at Keep It Sweet — February 28, 2012 @ 9:08 am

You are killing me with that first photo!

Amanda — February 28, 2012 @ 9:08 am

These look and sound fabulous… I love the ingredients! Hope you are well my dear. :)

Natalie @ Cooking for My Kids — February 28, 2012 @ 9:12 am

We love pancakes in any shape or form, and I cannot wait to try these. They look perfect to me.

Maureen — February 28, 2012 @ 9:24 am

It’s like you knew why I bought greek yogurt before I did! I heart pancakes beyond belief! :)

Ginger — February 28, 2012 @ 9:29 am

These look amazing! I have been finding a lot of uses for yogurt recently. I just baked a batch of pistachio scones using nonfat european yogurt and found that I didn’t even miss the cream.

Kelly — February 28, 2012 @ 9:37 am

Yum! These look delicious!

Rachel — February 28, 2012 @ 9:43 am

That first photo is going to be all over Pinterest in no time. These look incredible!

Claire @ Live and Love to Eat — February 28, 2012 @ 9:47 am

I’m all about trying new pancake recipes. Been hoping you’d share since you tweeted about them over the weekend! :)

These look perfect!

Chrissy — February 28, 2012 @ 9:47 am

Yum yum yum! You made my day with the Mean Girl’s reference! When you said sinseriously I thought of grool. “I started saying great and then I said cool.” LOVE that movie! LOVE the way these pancakes sound!

Lisa — February 28, 2012 @ 10:00 am

yay! pancakes are so good<33 thanks!

Stephanie — February 28, 2012 @ 10:21 am

Did you know today was National Pancake Day?

• Jessica — February 28th, 2012 @ 10:21 am

I did not, but that’s what I hear!

Diana @ frontyardfoodie — February 28, 2012 @ 10:21 am

I love making different kinds of pancakes…I mean lets be honest, if it’s something that will carry maple syrup into my mouth I’m pretty much cool with it.

Casey @ Insatiably Healthy — February 28, 2012 @ 10:25 am

The coconut milk is what gets me excited about these. Never thought of using it in pancakes :)

Chelsy — February 28, 2012 @ 10:27 am

ahhhhhh! I love me some greek yogurt + coconut milk! It’s like I feel Greek when I eat it, plus with coconut milk, I can imagine I am on a greek island somewhere. Don’t think I have tried buck wheat pancakes before but they always sound like the healthiest thing on the planet. Like so healthy, I could eat five stacks and not have to go run 10 miles….yes!

Mindy@FSLblog — February 28, 2012 @ 10:40 am

I’m all over these!!!

Erin @ The Speckled Palate — February 28, 2012 @ 10:46 am

Hooray for adding Greek Yogurt to pancakes! This has been one of the small things I have done randomly to my pancakes whenever I’ve had leftover yogurt that needs to be eaten ASAP, and it’s so good. And this recipe sounds delicious, so I need to add it to my pancake recipe list to try soon!

Ashley — February 28, 2012 @ 11:02 am

Look at that stack! Hubba hubba.

I love making yummy foods even healthier with a few food swaps! Add a few fresh berries on top, maybe a small sprinkle of my favorite Kellogg’s FiberPlus(R) Cinnamon Oat Crunch cereal, and its a fiberlicious, super delicious dish any meal of the day or week. Seriously, these look amazing!

megan @ whatmegansmaking — February 28, 2012 @ 11:14 am

Can I just say that I love that you wrote “needs used”?? That is a Pittsburgh-ism if I ever heard one! I leave out “to be” all the time in sentences like that and get made fun of for it! But it sounds right to me – the floor needs swept, my hair needs cut, etc. Made me smile!

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga — February 28, 2012 @ 11:17 am

Mmmm, they look awesome and I wish I would have known about these when I had about 10 cartons of Greek yogurt in my fridge. Better go pick some up :)

Brianne @ Cupcakes & Kale Chips — February 28, 2012 @ 11:22 am

I wonder how they would taste with actual buckwheat flour, to make them gluten-free?

Maria — February 28, 2012 @ 11:24 am

I love yogurt pancakes! WIll have to try them with coconut milk. Mmm!

1 2 3

1. Pingback: Creamy Vanilla Bean Cashew Milk. | How Sweet It Is

2. Pingback: inspired : 3.11.12 | beka stays

3. Pingback: Greek Yogurt and Oatmeal Pancakes « homemadeadventure

4. Pingback: Father’s Day Inspiration: Ideas and Recipes | Ingredients, Inc.

5. Pingback: Thai Chicken Enchiladas | How Sweet It Is

6. Pingback: Fave Five Friday : Healthy Greek Yogurt Recipes @ Nutritionist in the Kitch

7. Pingback: 50 Waffles and Pancakes - Something Swanky