Goodbye fun weekend stuff.

Thai Beef Tacos I howsweeteats.com

Goodbye two bottles of wine. Goodbye truffle fries. Goodbye accidental on purpose three hour afternoon nap. Goodbye entire bag of pita chips I ate at 4PM yesterday. Goodbye massive burger on buttery buns. Goodbye dumb movie marathons. Goodbye SPIKED MARSHMALLOW FLUFF MILKSHAKE.

Uhhhh OMG.

But no fear, I’ll see you in five days.

Maybe two, since I possess no self control. You can probably find me on the couch.

Thai Beef Tacos I howsweeteats.com

Helllllo Monday.

You’re cute. Sometimes.

I’ll allow you to be delicious.

Thai Beef Tacos I howsweeteats.com

And seriously… this is one of the most delicious dinners we’ve had since… well… I made the last delicious dinner we had.

Thai Beef Tacos I howsweeteats.com

Growing up, we ate tacos every single week, but anything other than ground beef was considered sacrilegious in our non-cultured culinary bubble. These days I still make tacos at least once every two seven days, but the beef rarely makes an appearance. I’m all about the chicken or shrimp. Or just the guac and the cheese. Or um… just the margaritas. Specifically the salt.

Oh and the tequila.

Now? I’m all about the steak. Alllll about it. My husband just died when I said that. It’s like he put on Kate Beckinsale-ified goggles when looking at me.

Yesssss.

The icing on the cake here is the crushed peanuts. They bring an extra pop of flavor that I just want to eat with a spoon. Chomp chomp. I could NOT get enough. I had two for lunch. Then two for a snack. Then at like 10PM, two more for a… snack? Worth it.

Thai Beef Tacos I howsweeteats.com

Thai Beef Tacos

[thai beef adapted from williams sonoma thai beef salad]

serves 2-4

1/3 cup sweet chili sauce

quick mango salsa

1/2 mango, chopped

1 shallot, diced

1 jalapeno, diced

2 tablespoons freshly chopped cilantro

a sprinkle each of sugar, salt & pepper

tacos

1 teaspoon canola oil

8-10 corn tortillas

1/2 cup sweet chili sauce

1/4 cup peanuts, chopped

green leaf or romaine + fresh cilantro for topping

Sprinkle flank steak with salt and pepper. Combine coconut milk, sesame oil, chili sauce, garlic, ginger, sugar and cilantro in a bowl and whisk. Add flank steak to a ziplock bag or a shallow baking dish and pour marinade overtop. Refrigerate and let sit for 6-24 hours.

When ready to prepare, remove steak from fridge and let sit for 20-30 minutes. In a bowl, combine mango, shallot, jalapeno, salt, sugar and pepper, mix thoroughly, then set aside. Heat a large oven-safe skillet (like cast iron) over high heat. At the same time, preheat the broiler in your oven. (You can also grill the steak if you wish.) Using a pastry brush, brush oil onto the skillet so there is only a very thin layer. Remove steak from marinade with kitchen tongs, placing in the skillet. Sear on both sides for 2-3 minutes. Remove skillet and place is the oven directly under the broiler. Cook for 3-4 minutes, then flip and cook for 3-4 minutes more. This resulted in medium-medium well meat for us, but is totally dependent on the thickness of your steak and your desired doneness. Our steak was about an inch thick.

Remove skillet from over, and place steak on a cutting board to rest for 15-20 minutes. At this time, assemble your tortillas (warm them if desired), salsa, extra chili sauce for drizzling and cilantro. After the steak has rested, slice it into thin strips. Assemble tacos as desired and eat!

Note: with 2 side dishes, this meal should serve about 4 people, however with no side dishes, and just the tacos, 2 of us devoured it completely.

Thai Beef Tacos I howsweeteats.com

SO GOOD. Make this your dinner.

143 Responses to “Thai Beef Tacos.”

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey — February 27, 2012 @ 8:01 am

My husband hates when I make steak because I SUCK at making steak. seriously – he’s rather me give him some sort of veganized dish that resembles steak. And then he gets mad at me because I’m a vegetarian. The end.

Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers — February 27, 2012 @ 8:02 am

Your tacos looks delish! It will be a good Monday!! I’m mad at myself. Trader Joe’s has flank steak, but sold them for $20.00 for two pounds and I thought nah, after debating for like 5 minutes! Now I regret it. I guess I have to go back get it now! Wonderful recipe!

Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles — February 27, 2012 @ 8:07 am

It would have been awkward growing up to eat anything other than ground beef for tacos in my house too- but I think we all could have gone for this! Mmmm! ……..I’m a fan of the tequila too! And the salt! And the lime!!!

bridget {bake at 350} — February 27, 2012 @ 8:08 am

These sound incredible! And if they induce Kate Beckinsale-ified goggles when my husband looks at me, all the better! ;) Haha!

Lauren at Keep It Sweet — February 27, 2012 @ 8:09 am

Oh love the mango salsa! Also kind of wish I had your weekend:-)

megan @ whatmegansmaking — February 27, 2012 @ 8:10 am

yum!! I love any sort of tacos (specifically non ground beef tacos). Thanks Jess, this has been added to our menu! :)

Erika - The Teenage Taste — February 27, 2012 @ 8:16 am

Ahhh, I cannot believe the weekend went by so quickly. Hmph…
    At least you have these tacos to look forward to. They look fabulous! :-D

yak — February 27, 2012 @ 8:17 am

genius. pure genius. never leave me

Sally @ sally's baking addiction — February 27, 2012 @ 8:20 am

looks like an incredible dinner! i love all the flavors going on. mango salsa is sooooo delicious!

Cara Craves... — February 27, 2012 @ 8:23 am

Yummers!!
    I love making tacos so I can eat salsa and guac!

• Jessica — February 27th, 2012 @ 9:02 am

Pretty sure that’s usually my only motive for making tacos 97% of the time.

Quiche-ing Queen — February 27, 2012 @ 8:27 am

Drool! Ready for a plate of these for breakfast. The flavors sound amazing. I’m all for steak and mango. Yummy!

Heather (Heather's Dish) — February 27, 2012 @ 8:28 am

DROOL! i’m already making your tilapia tacos tomorrow night…i’ll just stop by the store and get stuff for these beef ones on wednesday!

Kim in MD — February 27, 2012 @ 8:35 am

I love everything about this taco! I can’t wait to try this recipe!

Kevin (Closet Cooking) — February 27, 2012 @ 8:39 am

These are some really tasty sounding tacos!

Lisa — February 27, 2012 @ 8:41 am

Ironically, I have almost everything to make this plate of goodness except the flank steak and mango.
    I see a grocery trip store in my future.
    I love things injected with extra flavor, I’m going to go the whole 24 hours on the marinade. I’m such a wild woman!

• Jessica — February 27th, 2012 @ 9:02 am

I hear ya sister. I’m the same way!

• Lisa — March 1st, 2012 @ 2:15 pm

Just reporting back to say seriously delicious!
        We loved them so much I’ve got 6 chicken breasts soaking in that amazing marinade for Thai Chicken Tacos!
        I’m pretty sure you could marinate an old shoe in that stuff and it was taste awesome. LOL!
        Thanks for another keeper Jessica!

Carrie@Bakeaholic Mama — February 27, 2012 @ 8:42 am

Jessica these look amazing! We make flank tacos often…. the Thai Beef sounds sooooooo much better! That mango salsa looks like perfection!!

Rodzilla — February 27, 2012 @ 8:46 am

I can get some pretty killer tacos here in San Diego, but now I want to make these ones exactly.

Sounds like you hit burgatory or BRGR over the weekend, and I right? : D

• Jessica — February 27th, 2012 @ 9:01 am

You are right. :) BRGR!

Gabby @ Gabby's Gluten-Free — February 27, 2012 @ 8:46 am

These look insane, in the best way possible! I love making steak tacos with carne asada that I buy from Mexican markets. Steak tacos + margaritas = heaven.

Kathryn — February 27, 2012 @ 8:49 am

Oh Thai flavours in a taco? Love it!

Sally @ Spontaneous Hausfrau — February 27, 2012 @ 8:54 am

Just call that 10pm snack an Oscar viewing party. It’s klassy. These look like such a party of textures! Plus, I’m a sucker for mango anything.

• Jessica — February 27th, 2012 @ 9:01 am

That’s EXACTLY what it was!

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat — February 27, 2012 @ 8:56 am

Jess, it’s people like you that make my Mondays less painful. These sound awesome! :)

• Jessica — February 27th, 2012 @ 9:01 am

I love you.

Laura @ A Healthy Jalapeño — February 27, 2012 @ 9:03 am

Oh wow. You know I am a sucker for soft tacos and these look amazing. wonderful pics!

Blog is the New Black — February 27, 2012 @ 9:05 am

Seeing so many amazing beef recipes floating around lately…. makes me want a BURGER! ;)

Bev Weidner — February 27, 2012 @ 9:07 am

Weird! We went to BRGR this weekend and inhAYELED the Tex-AZ and the truffle fries too.

And now I need to get these all up in my mouth.

Chelsy — February 27, 2012 @ 9:14 am

Oh snap! You might just get me to try some beef, you know the actual “real” kind. My mom used to make my sister and I beef stroganoff from the hamburger helper box when I was younger. I am forever scarred.

Robin — February 27, 2012 @ 9:18 am

I will be making these tonight. Last night was your homemade granola bars……tonight tacos. Love, LOVE this site!! :)

• Jessica — February 27th, 2012 @ 9:21 am

Thanks Robin!

Erica — February 27, 2012 @ 9:20 am

so pretty! How do you not eat your food while you’re photographing?? I’d have like a bit or two missing out of those tacos. Thats why I only have a photo or two up on my blog haha

• Jessica — February 27th, 2012 @ 9:21 am

Hahaha yes, sometimes it’s really hard. I try not to work on the weekends but I did make these when my husband was home and the time I spent photographing was pure torture for him.

Jessica @ Stylish Stealthy and Healthy — February 27, 2012 @ 9:35 am

Tacos have definitely been a weekly staple in my life since I was a wee lass. Oh look, I’m Irish today. But these look divine. How have I not used steak in tacos before? I’m about to step up my taco game in a big way. Many thanks.

Natalie @ Cooking for My Kids — February 27, 2012 @ 9:38 am

Taco perfection. Oh my goodness! Thank you so much for adding some humor and spice into this least favorite day of the week.

Encore — February 27, 2012 @ 9:49 am

Mmmm…Kate Beckinsale! I mean, Thai Beef Tacos! Can’t I have both? These tacos are going on the menu pronto! Thanks!

Brittnee — February 27, 2012 @ 9:52 am

I just told my hubby yesterday I really want some sliced steak on top of salad..but he just looked at me funny. Maybe if I put his in a taco like yours he’ll feel my cravings too. These look sooo good.

Jasper @ crunchylittlebites — February 27, 2012 @ 9:53 am

these photos are just lovely! :) I don’t like being allergic to mango :(

Becca — February 27, 2012 @ 9:58 am

ANything with mango = love!!

Becca @ www.homebeccanomics.com — February 27, 2012 @ 9:58 am

delish!

Nicky @ Pink Recipe Box — February 27, 2012 @ 10:03 am

These look stunning! I’ll definitely add them onto my to-make foodie list! Thanks for sharing.

sarah — February 27, 2012 @ 10:13 am

Don’t mind if I do! Hello yum.

Jen at The Three Little Piglets — February 27, 2012 @ 10:16 am

Definitely snack worthy! And so much better for you than the 3 peanut butter s’more cookies I was munching on late last night…

Caitlin @ Cake with Love — February 27, 2012 @ 10:53 am

I love beef tacos, I can safely say that beef is my favorite meet, these look very pretty!

AKM — February 27, 2012 @ 10:53 am

yummm, what type of sweet chili sauce did you use? I can get a Thai type–is that what you had?

Thanks!

• Jessica — February 27th, 2012 @ 10:57 am

Yes! We use the sweet thai chili sauce from Trader Joe’s. So good.

Emilie @ Emilie's Enjoyables — February 27, 2012 @ 11:05 am

Tacos mean chips + guac, so I’m all about these.

Georgia @ The Comfort of Cooking — February 27, 2012 @ 11:07 am

These look great! Love the flavors. Adding to this week’s menu!

Cassie — February 27, 2012 @ 11:13 am

At least Monday is delicious…no doubt about that. I’m drooling all over my desk over these flavors.

Cate — February 27, 2012 @ 11:21 am

Don’t think this is creepy… But, I love you! I am now craving these tacos for breakfast! I must pick up the ingredients this weekend and make them!

Gina @ Running to the Kitchen — February 27, 2012 @ 11:32 am

Lately, I’ve been craving beef like woah (twss). This is such a fun way to get my fix but still have some good flavors with it rather than the whole meat/potatoes/boring green vegetable dinner plate.

Cait's Plate — February 27, 2012 @ 11:39 am

Every once in a while, there’s just nothing better than a good old steak. These looks amazing.

Sommer@ASpicyPerspective — February 27, 2012 @ 11:40 am

Oooo, those DO look good. I’m especially loving the idea of the mango salsa!

Mansee — February 27, 2012 @ 11:51 am

I know I’ve said this before, but your photos are seriously amazing. I normally hate photos of meat (love to eat it, hate to look at it. Weird.) but that one up there of the steak is kind of driving me wild.

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga — February 27, 2012 @ 12:18 pm

The mango, the marinade, the fact that you pud in greens before you added the filling so the bread/wrap didn’t get all soggy..very smart! Great idea & I Love Mango!

Betty — February 27, 2012 @ 12:21 pm

Yummmmmmmmmn

Katie — February 27, 2012 @ 12:25 pm

Peanuts on steak tacos?! I’m in love with you. And while we’re at it…I might as well ask you to be Meeker’s new wife because he is going to WIG out when I make these for him.

1 2 3

1. Pingback: Slow Cooker Shredded Pork Tacos | Hoping in God

2. Pingback: Menu – Week of April 29th « cookingpaleah

3. Pingback: What’s For Dinner? « Newly Bread

4. Pingback: An Olympic Weekend in Photos « Blonde Ambition

5. Pingback: Slow Cooker Beer Carnitas Tacos | How Sweet It Is

6. Pingback: Thai Beef Tacos | Clean Eating Fat Loss

7. Pingback: Weekly Menu #2 | laundryinlouboutins

8. Pingback: Tuesday Tidbits | My Shiny Life

9. Pingback: discoveries. | my perfectly imperfect home

10. Pingback: Thai Steak Salad with Roasted Chili Mango Vinaigrette | How Sweet It Is

11. Pingback: 20 of the Best Healthy Coconut Recipes

12. Pingback: Saturday Morning Meal Planning | The Reluctant Grownup

13. Pingback: My Approach to Weekly Meal Planning | An Extraordinary Adventure

14. Pingback: 20 Weeks of (different!) Healthier Dinner Ideas | How Sweet It Is

15. Pingback: Alyssa and Carla

16. Pingback: Study Habits: Cooking and Eating Healthy - An Extraordinary Adventure

17. Pingback: Thai Beef Tacos | A Social Worker's Personal Culinary Therapy...

18. Pingback: Easy Meal Planning for Modern Teachers {October} » A Modern Teacher