Tuesday Things.

1. If you’ve read this blog for any more than a hot 5 minutes, you must know I’m crushed over the passing of Whitney Houston. Considering I I mention her no less than thrice a month, I’ve been drowning my sorrows in Boys II Men and Babyface since late Saturday night.

2. Oh and I have to say, the Whitney Pandora station is even better than Taylor Dayne, though they both play similiar tunes. But the Whitney station plays fabulous throwbacks like On Bended Knee that take me back to my 7th grade dance when I stood with my hands on some guy’s shoulders and he barely touched my waist and we didn’t move any closer than 8 inches to each other while “dancing” for the fear of spontaneously erupting into flames.

3. Thrice is such a gross word.

4. I spent the blizzards of ’96 and ’97 watching Waiting to Exhale and The Preacher’s Wife over and over and over and… over again. My parents were thrilled since Waiting to Exhale was quite the… “education” for someone my age. P.S. that is still one of my favorite soundtracks of all time.

5. I’m probably not going to shut up about Whitney for a really long time but you already know how annoying I can be… sooooo yeah.

6. I decided to cook a last minute feast tonight and it’s including… FONTINA SMASHED POTATOES. I’m making them up and I will probably eat them all myself.

7. Yesterday I made cookies with this guy’s sister and caught her in the act of sneaking chocolate chips.

Wait. Is this my child?

8. I’m pretty much dying over this fluffernutter french toast. Many of you seemed surprised when I mentioned that I had marshmallow fluff on hand at all times, but what really concerns me is why you DON’T have marshmallow fluff on hand at all times.

9. Yes I’m serious. Why?

10. On Friday immediately after my workout I ran into the store, still dripping with sweat, and walked out with 4 pounds of butter. This is not unusual.

11. I’m still eating gummy vitamins like they’re going out of style. I hope I live.

74 Responses to “Tuesday Things.”

Gina @ Running to the Kitchen — February 14, 2012 @ 5:01 pm

#2…That is EXACTLY what I think of when I hear On Bended Knee. 7th and 8th grade “socials”. Classic.

Bev Weidner — February 14, 2012 @ 5:02 pm

I happen to love THRICE. Thrice! Thrice! Thrice!

…..thrice.

…..Whitney. for life.

….and for thrice.

Pam — February 14, 2012 @ 5:07 pm

Grossest word in the English language…moist. It’s a fact.

Alisa Sterner — February 14, 2012 @ 5:08 pm

Whitney. sigh. i’m pretty sad too. I’ve been drowning my sorrows in the Bodyguard, and Whitney’s pandora station.

also, please mail me said potatoes. i feel as though i need them. NOW.

kathleen @ the daily crumb — February 14, 2012 @ 5:09 pm

i am dev.a.stated over whitney. i will always love you changed my life.

and yes, on a lighter note, thrice is a fabulous word!

heather — February 14, 2012 @ 5:10 pm

I agree, marshmallow cream is super important! Everyone should keep two jars on hand just in case. Your Jr. Baker is such a cutie!

Oh Whitney. I can’t even talk about it yet.

Trang — February 14, 2012 @ 5:10 pm

Im not gonna lie.. I still eat gummy vitamins! So much better than swallowing those elephant pills! Happy valentines day!!

Rachel — February 14, 2012 @ 5:11 pm

i dont trust people who dont have fluff on hand. it aint right. One of the singular pleasures of this life is a fluffenutter sandwich on squishy white bread.

Rachel — February 14, 2012 @ 5:12 pm

Seriously, WHY do they make gummy vitamins so tasty? It’s just cruel! Like, here’s this really delicious fruity chewy candy that you are SUPPOSED to eat every day, even on days when you had cake for breakfast, and even on days when there is NOTHING ELSE in the house to satisfy your sweet tooth, but OMG don’t eat more than TWO because then you could experience LIVER FAILURE.

Who does that??? Do they really EXPECT us to have that kind of self-control?!

Sarah @ The Healthy Diva — February 14, 2012 @ 5:14 pm

Sneaking chocolate chips is the best part of baking….or maybe it’s licking the spoon??? I can’t decide so I’ll just keep doing both!

Janice H — February 14, 2012 @ 5:18 pm

You make me laugh! (Not because you’re ridiculous, but because you’re ridiculously funny!)

Jessica — February 14, 2012 @ 5:21 pm

Fontina smashed potatoes – ohhhhhhhhh yum. And my favorite Boyz II Men song is definitely Water Runs Dry – yet another fantastic slow dance song.

Ashley @ Kitchen Meets Girl — February 14, 2012 @ 5:22 pm

I went to see “The Bodyguard” on my first date. I can’t even talk about Whitney right now. So. Sad.

Connie — February 14, 2012 @ 5:22 pm

Whitney Houston had a beautiful voice, and sang wonderfully, she will be missed. “On Bended Knee” brings back memories for me, too! Ah, “Waiting to Exhale.” It was quite thrilling to hear that the radio personality was an actual radio personality I listened to on the radio at that time! I’d rush home from school to hear his voice. O, the joys of our carefree days.

sommer j — February 14, 2012 @ 5:22 pm

missing whitney, too. she has a movie coming out this summer, will actually go to the theater for this! i miss pandora.

my children stay stealing choc chips, too!

thrice is better thsn threest?

Samantha — February 14, 2012 @ 5:23 pm

I LOVE gummy vitamins. They’re the only way I’ll eat my vitamins. I hate the one that taste like bitter mineral stuff…gross! I love the ones that are not only gummy, but covered in sugar. Oh yeah!!

Melissa — February 14, 2012 @ 5:25 pm

While the Whitney news is not shocking, it IS devastating. She is the soundtrack of my youth. I can’t tell you how many hours I spent in my basement making up dances to How Will I Know and Let’s Hear it for the Boy. Drowning my sorrows in your caramelized chicken and mushrooms tonight. Oh, and hurricane full of wine.

Arbine — February 14, 2012 @ 5:26 pm

I almost always get 4 pounds of butter when I go to the store. Anything less in my fridge doesn’t feel right. Oh and she’s adorable! Have a lovely day. :)

Carrie@Bakeaholic Mama — February 14, 2012 @ 5:28 pm

I am still shocked over Whitney’s death…. Body Guard soundtrack has been playing on repeat since Saturday…. It will forever be my favorite album.

Seriously people don’t keep Fluff as a staple? We always have a big tub of it. It is a must have for late night snacks ( with chocolate chips and PB in a sandwich)….

As for gummy vitamins. That’s all I take! I especially like the Flintstones sour ones!

MilesMusclesMom — February 14, 2012 @ 5:30 pm

so sad that such talent is gone. first michael now whitney. damn drugs…

umm those ‘taters sound ahhhhmazing. yummm

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga — February 14, 2012 @ 5:36 pm

I have marshmallow fluff on hand at all times. In fact, yesterday morning I cooked something using it and on my afternoon grocery run, I replenished because you NEVER know when you will NEED to have fluff on hand to make something!

That little girl is adorable!!! I have pics of skylar with similar faces. There is just pure bliss in her face and that’s how Skylar is too sometimes when she’s eating certain things. I love those priceless moments!

Meagan @ A Zesty Bite — February 14, 2012 @ 5:38 pm

I love adult vitamin gummies too. I refuse to take any other kind and I especially tend to go for the sour ones. Did I mention that I am 27 years old? Wouldn’t change a thing!

• Katya — February 14th, 2012 @ 5:49 pm

I’m in the same boat and come on who wants to take those massive horse-pills?

Katya — February 14, 2012 @ 5:48 pm

Gummy vitamins are the only way to get proper daily value, right? I don’t care that I refuse to buy anything else! Rock on, lady!

Three-Cookies — February 14, 2012 @ 5:51 pm

She shut her eyes so no one can see her sneaking those choc chips

natalie — February 14, 2012 @ 5:55 pm

my doctor laughed at me when he asked if i was taking any vitamins and i replied with “gummi-vites” …

>.>
    <.<

good to know i'm not the only one… :)

Valarie — February 14, 2012 @ 5:57 pm

I listened to the song “Why Does it Hurt So Bad” from that soundtrack at LEAST gaZILLION times after my boyfriend broke up with me. How did he break up with me you ask? He PUT A LETTER in my JACKET POCKET. That night, as I was leaving work, I put on my jacket and felt what I thought was a card. OH NO. No card. “Dear Valarie….” Stupid boys. Thanks for ripping that wound WIDE open (even though it’s been a GAZILLION years since it happened–I was only 16 at the time…WHY did it hurt so bad? HUH???)

• Jessica — February 14th, 2012 @ 6:28 pm

OMG.

rose — February 14, 2012 @ 6:00 pm

so devastating about whitney houston.. i almost cried during jennifer hudson grammy performance! i’m your baby tonight is one of my all time fav songs ever ever… and omg watching waiting to exhale with your mom around when you’re a teenager is awwwkward, been there haha

Lauren at Keep It Sweet — February 14, 2012 @ 6:17 pm

Cutest photo ever!

Casey @ Insatiably Healthy — February 14, 2012 @ 6:23 pm

Boyz II Men is the best music for that. I just picked up some strawberry marshmallow fluff that sounds delightful in a peanut butter french toast fluffernutter, mmmm.

Amilia @justeverydayme — February 14, 2012 @ 6:45 pm

I’ve been eating peanut butter and fluff sandwiches for lunch for the past week or two :) I’m about to pop a bunch of gummy vitamins…getting a cold :(

Amanda N — February 14, 2012 @ 6:52 pm

She doesn’t make as good of faces as her brother….that would be pretty awesome if she did.

Fluff is only good for cooking/making things with I will never ever eat it in a sandwich….or worse…a spoonful.

Gummy vitamins are THE BEST….when I remember to take them. I still have some from 2010….I still eat them too…

katie — February 14, 2012 @ 6:55 pm

So sad about Whitney, whats even more sad are the people that are posting horrible things in regards to her death. Very sad. May she be in peace now <3

Makana — February 14, 2012 @ 7:13 pm

I totally remember “dancing” like that. I think it would be more appropriately described as “awkward swaying”. Oh the memories…

Sherri — February 14, 2012 @ 7:21 pm

My mom used to put a huge dollup of Fluff on my hot cocoa when I was little. I am a HUGE fan of Fluff and was thinking this might be an east coast thing. However, while I am from PA, my husband, who’s in from Freeport/Sarver area has never, ever had a fluffernutter sandwich and has exclamed many times, wil in fact never eat one either. I can’t believe I’m married to a man like that?! ;)

Liz @ Tip Top Shape — February 14, 2012 @ 7:31 pm

Whitney was a legend. Too sad. And OMG–too funny about the whole 7th grade dancing thing. How did touching someone’s shoulder seem so very intimate?!

Chelsy — February 14, 2012 @ 7:31 pm

OOOOO girlie! I know exactly how you feel about those gummy vitamins. For a while, I used to refuse to take anything but the flinstones chewables or the tiny little bears covered in sugar. Now I have switched to an adult chewable that tastes like apple cinnamon…just to make myself feel better. Jr. high dancers were so awkward for me. It was like all the cliques huddled in their little circles, then some of the girls would stand on the other side of the gym while the boys were on the other and have face-offs until one of the girls actually used the balls that she had to go ask the guy to dance! I went to a catholic school so you can imagine the awkwardness, not to mention, the dancing when rap songs were played! RIP whitney! P.S. that little girl is sooooo cute. She could steal my choc. chips anytime. Butter is nothing…once I intended to run 5 miles, ended up running 3, only to find myself at a “rest stop” i.e. donut shoppe so I could get myself an old fashioned and a cup of coffee! I needed a snack! I walked back home and never turned back!

Stephanie H — February 14, 2012 @ 7:38 pm

When I was pregnant I would put the earphones on my stomach and play Boyz II Men for my unborn child. Your Junior baker has the best facial expression I have ever seen. I watch Waiting to Exhale every time it comes on television.

Ann — February 14, 2012 @ 7:57 pm

I LOVE number 10…glad to know I’m not the only one who does that!!! I can’t count the number of times!!!

Andrea @ The Skinny Chronicles — February 14, 2012 @ 8:34 pm

Your #2 was the best. You captured those old junior high dances so perfectly! I am cracking up. The four pounds of butter post-workout gave me a pretty good chuckle too!

J3nn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog) — February 14, 2012 @ 8:35 pm

I’m so saddened by Whitney’s passing, too. :( She was such a huge part of the 80s for me, and 90s for that matter. I randomly have her songs in my head all. the. time. And not just this week! Since the 80s, lol.

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey — February 14, 2012 @ 8:49 pm

#7 – YESSSS!

Lauren — February 14, 2012 @ 9:28 pm

#3 – hilarious! I totally cringed when I read it in #1. Happy Valentine’s! xc

Kristin — February 14, 2012 @ 9:47 pm

I also will only take vitamins in gummy form. Having a jar of marshmallow fluff on hand at all times is just smart.

Jenny @ Practically Perfect... — February 14, 2012 @ 10:20 pm

Oh my word – fluffernutter french toast?! Delicious! And I’m with you on the marshmallow fluff – if you live where you can buy it, you should have some available in your pantry at all times :-) Nearly killed me when I learned that they didn’t have it over here in our new home (NZ)! I’ve even looked into making my own homemade marshmallow fluff, but haven’t been bold enough to try it :-)

Carolyn — February 14, 2012 @ 10:52 pm

Awe, when my husband & I heard the news Sat night, I turned to him and said “oh my cuz Jessica is going to be heartbroken. She listens to Whitney all the time and mentions it in her blog.” It’s just so sad that a person with such a gift had soo many demons. All we can hope is she is now in peace.

Emily — February 14, 2012 @ 10:53 pm

Hey Jessica!

I, too, am terribly sad about the loss of our beloved singer and actress, Whitney Houston. To date myself, I had a number of her albums on cassette many years ago. I think she had one of the most beautiful and powerful voices of all time. She will be missed by so many. My favorite movie with her has to be The Bodyguard. Kevin Costner isn’t too shabby in it either. I’ve been catching some of her songs on the radio since she passed, which I find a very nice touch. Take care. Keep up the funny and interesting posts. I enjoy reading them!

jessi — February 14, 2012 @ 10:56 pm

i take both multivitamin and calcium supplements in gummy form! my husband and family make fun of me for it and say i’m still a child. whatevs, it’s like a treat and your vitamins all wrapped up in one. LOVE it!

Kelly (Mikulecky) Woodland — February 14, 2012 @ 11:55 pm

I am a huge proponent of marshmallow fluff. In fact, I may not be friends with those who do not have it in their pantries at all times. It’s my new deal-breaker I think. Thanks :o)

Ranch Mama — February 15, 2012 @ 1:07 am

Marshmallow cream is a must. And at least 2 jars as well. My man always gets peanut butter in it and how can I eat it by the spoonful while while crying my eyes out about Whitney when all I get is peanut butter??

Lauren — February 15, 2012 @ 1:19 am

I have been obsessed with my gummy vitamins as well (“gummies” as my BF and I call them)… Who says you are too old for gummies?

1. Pingback: Breakfast Cookies | How Sweet It Is