Soooooo… you know that episode of Sex and the City where Miranda has to dump dish soap on top of chocolate cake just so she will stop eating it??

Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Peanut Butter Cups I howsweeteats.com

Uh. Yeeeeeah.

These are like… of that caliber.

Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Peanut Butter Cups I howsweeteats.com

And that totally almost happened to me. You PROBably should not make these if you are home alone for four days. Word to the wise, FYI.

Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Peanut Butter Cups I howsweeteats.com

I ate what felt like a million, then had a plate of 5-day old green bean fries from the fridge and called it lunch. I do not recommend this. The leftover green bean fries – not the cookie dough cups.

I definitely recommend those.

For lunch.

Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Peanut Butter Cups I howsweeteats.com

Face? Meet peanut butter cookie dough cups.

Inhale.

Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Peanut Butter Cups I howsweeteats.com

Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Peanut Butter Cups

[cookie dough adapted from cookie dough dip]

makes 24 cups

2 1/2 cups milk chocolate chips

1/2 cup unsalted butter

1/3 cup packed brown sugar

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

1/4 cup creamy peanut butter

3/4 cup powdered sugar

2 tablespoons all-purpose flour

1/4 teaspoon salt

1/2 cup mini chocolate chips

In a small saucepan, heat butter until melted. Whisk in brown sugar until dissolved, then let it bubble for 1-2 minutes. Remove from heat and whisk in peanut butter. The mixture will be liquidly. Whisk in vanilla. Let sit and cool completely, about 20 minutes.

Line a mini muffin with with liners. Melt 1 1/4 cups of chocolate chips (I do mine in the microwave, heating on full power for 20 seconds, stir, 30 seconds again, and stir until melted). Drop 1/2-1 teaspoon of chocolate into each liner, then use a pastry brush to brush chocolate up the sides of the liner. Place in the freezer for 20 minutes. By this point the butter + sugar mix should be cool. Whisk in powdered sugar, salt and flour, until combine and few lumps remain. Fold in mini chocolate chips. The dough will be wet, but pop it in the fridge for 15 minutes to harden.

Remove muffin tin and cookie dough, then place 1 teaspoon of cookie dough (I somewhat rolled mine) into the chocolate cups. Place back in the freezer for 10-15 minutes. Melt the remaining chocolate chips, then cover each cookie dough top with chocolate, smoothing with a spoon. Freeze again for 15-20 minutes. These are fine out in room temperature for a few hours (they may soften a bit) but I like them best stored in the fridge.

Note: I’m sure if you temper your chocolate and let it sit at room temperature these will harden without the freezer, but this is what works for me best.

Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Peanut Butter Cups I howsweeteats.com

Sigh.

272 Responses to “Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Peanut Butter Cups.”

Arbine — March 30, 2012 @ 4:58 pm

Oh. My. Goodness. Love these! Have a great weekend!

Jen — March 30, 2012 @ 5:04 pm

I seriously cannot make those cause I would eat them all. I cannot even resist the hazelnutbutter cookies I made yesterday. Big sigh.

Anne — March 30, 2012 @ 5:30 pm

This is pure genius.

Chris — March 30, 2012 @ 6:14 pm

OK, wait a minute!!! The suggestion was made that you should get a patent…to call Hershey and get this in production…and you said that SORT OF HAPPENED????? WHAT, exactly, HAPPENED?!?!?!?!?!?!? Where’s the rest of the story?!?!?!?!?

Melissa Zeidan — March 30, 2012 @ 6:36 pm

You’re a genius…that’s all that needs to be said.

Lindsey — March 30, 2012 @ 6:55 pm

Are you kidding me?! In my mouth now!!! These look amaaaaazing.

Krystal — March 30, 2012 @ 7:22 pm

So, um, if I made the filling, but didn’t have enough chocolate to make the “cups” and proceeded to eat the filling… with a spoon… does that make me a bad person?

Oh, and you’re a genius.

Cathy — March 30, 2012 @ 7:23 pm

This was the first thing I saw upon waking and I literally made them at 9AM. We’ve almost eaten them all. They are to die for.

Quiche-ing Queen — March 30, 2012 @ 7:46 pm

Brillant!

alex — March 30, 2012 @ 7:47 pm

Ok so I made these….twice, well the dough anyway. I either could get the butter/sugar mixture to be under dissolved (which made it have a hard crust after it cooled or I over dissolved it and made caramel. I’m not sure if maybe I had the heat up too high or too low or what. Maybe you or someone could give a bit of insight into that.
    In the end I ended up melting butter and throwing in all the remaining ingredients and making “dough” which tasted delish and hopefully the cups will also end up amazing too, just waiting for them to harden. I’ll report back! Thanks!

• alex — March 30th, 2012 @ 9:24 pm

Ok they came out pretty amazing, this was without cooking the sugar/butter mixture too! yay!

Brittany K — March 30, 2012 @ 8:54 pm

Are these in mini muffin tins or regular size?

Brianne @ Cupcakes & Kale Chips — March 30, 2012 @ 9:12 pm

Oh my! I think I would totally devour the whole batch, too!

morgan — March 30, 2012 @ 9:44 pm

ummmm major fatkids here, already making a SECOND batch today. yep you heard right. amazing.

Diana @ frontyardfoodie — March 30, 2012 @ 11:12 pm

I should just really make something in chocolate cups. I see them all over the place and never make them because the hubs is allergic to nuts but this makes me realize I could put anything in them. Also, I like cookie dough, sooooo, there’s really no excuse.

Marian (Sweetopia) — March 30, 2012 @ 11:14 pm

Seriously dangerous.
    I actually *have* done what Miranda did… they were Nanaimo bars. These look and sound even better! I’m so going to make them anyways – won’t do the soap… they’ll be worth every calorie!

Jessica — March 30, 2012 @ 11:25 pm

Two words: Evil. Genius.

Kim — March 30, 2012 @ 11:51 pm

These are my dream treat, I can’t wait to make them! Love your blog :)

Alison — March 31, 2012 @ 12:02 am

Oh wow, those are totally up my alley. MUST TRY.

Hannah — March 31, 2012 @ 2:38 am

I’ve never been happier.

Ashley @ Wishes and Dishes — March 31, 2012 @ 4:15 am

Ummmmm WOW. Get in my mouth! Yum!

Jo — March 31, 2012 @ 6:54 am

These look great, the recipe ingredients look great, but I honestly wouldn’t make them. I know for sure, just by looking, I would eat them all up. I just can’t be trusted. To those of you lucky enough to have self-control, I’m very envious. I have to deny myself these pleasures, and simply eat with my eyes. It’s just not fair that I wasn’t born with the gene that let’s me know when to stop, I have the greedy gene.

Jen @ The Scrumptious Pumpkin — March 31, 2012 @ 10:24 am

These are so adorable! We are on the same wavelength I think because I just posted Chocolate-Covered Cookie Dough Bunny Truffles. Can’t wait to try this peanut butter cup version :)

Amy @ ElephantEats — March 31, 2012 @ 10:45 am

Um, wow. Thought I think I wouldn’t even have leftover cookie dough to put in the cups since I’d eat it all first.

Colleen @ Culinary Colleen — March 31, 2012 @ 10:49 am

Wow, this is genius. And just when I thought a peanut butter cup couldn’t be improved…

Katie @ OhShineOn — March 31, 2012 @ 10:55 am

Holy S***! You’re killing me.

Amy Powell — March 31, 2012 @ 12:10 pm

I think I found my annual “wow my family with a dessert at Easter” recipe :)

Deanna @ TheChangingHouse — March 31, 2012 @ 1:19 pm

I’m salivating! I want to eat one! …. or two! ….okay 7…

Moni'sMeals — March 31, 2012 @ 2:22 pm

whoa! I am droooling I have to say. I think this is a very “perfect” treat if I ever did see one. ;)

Mercedes@Satisfy My Sweet Tooth — March 31, 2012 @ 2:23 pm

I think I will be making these for an Easter treat! They look wonderful!

Naomi(onefitfoodie) — March 31, 2012 @ 5:37 pm

you made these just in time for my birthday :) MMMMM

[New Balance] Nicole — March 31, 2012 @ 6:45 pm

Oh my word…YUM! Perfect treat for the start of April, right??

MeLissa — March 31, 2012 @ 6:54 pm

These look AMAZING!!! I can’t wait to try them…going to try to gluten free them, though…I’m thinking I can maybe either leave out the flour or just use sweet rice flour?

And you’re right about the tempering thing….they’ll hang out on the counter and set that way. It also gives the chocolate its snap and shine and helps fends off bloom (which isn’t a problem here, I’m thinking because they’re not going to hang out long enough for it to develop!!) I’ll probably temper my chocolate (I have three tempering units and don’t use them nearly as often as I should!), but keep them in the fridge because I prefer cold cookie dough!! :)

Thanks so much for creating this – I’ll be posting to my business facebook page soon so my clients can make them, too!!!

Connie the Cookie Monster — April 1, 2012 @ 2:13 am

omg, i think i might OD on sugar eating these!

Aggie — April 1, 2012 @ 9:41 am

I know exactly what episode, and exactly that feeling. It’s in the same category as crumbling up the rest of the bag of potato chips that I can’t stop stuffing my face with.

These look over the top amazing. In so many ways.

Erin — April 1, 2012 @ 9:55 am

I love that episode! The Betty Crocker Clinic!!!!

Casey — April 1, 2012 @ 1:24 pm

seriously, why don’t they sell these? These should be on Trader Joe’s shelfs!!!!

KitchenSisters — April 1, 2012 @ 1:54 pm

This looks so.. GOOD!
    And, you’ve got beautiful pictures!

Hope you’d like to take a look at our blog as well!

KitchenSisters

Michaela@pilgrimageofhealth — April 1, 2012 @ 3:37 pm

Those look DIVINE!! I may have to veganize them and share them with my hall as a pre-easter treat :))

anickH — April 1, 2012 @ 4:49 pm

that’s so funny i couldnt stop eating leftover apple pie today so i eventually had to dump it down the garbage disposal even though there were still a few slices left. I had already eaten like half the pie so if i hadnt dumped it, it wouldve been more like a whole pie in my stomach. Anyway, these cookie dough cups are brilliant. im scared to make them though. probably wont be able to stop eating them):

Jenny — April 1, 2012 @ 5:04 pm

Pure chocolate, peanut butter, sweet genius.

Brittany — April 1, 2012 @ 9:44 pm

These look fabulous. If Isaac hadn’t already proposed, I’m pretty sure I would have made these to try to speed up the process. :) Still thinking I should make these for him though, just to be a nice fiancee.

Caroline — April 1, 2012 @ 10:57 pm

Hi Jessica! I love your blog and have tried a bunch of your recipes! I wanted to tell you I just made these for a bake sale I’m hosting tomorrow and they are wonderful! I can’t wait to see if people love them as much as I do! I bet they will be a big hit.

Thanks for all your lovely recipes and ideas. Enjoy your week!

-Caroline

amy @ lovetotrain — April 2, 2012 @ 4:09 am

O-M-G what sight for sore eyes… i could cry tears of joy. need to make these NOW.

Stephanie — April 2, 2012 @ 7:45 am

i held out all weekend. i saw this friday morning. i was off from work. i said no. think of the wedding dress. don’t do it. saturday i kept busy. sunday was a lazy day. i sat around and watched something borrowed and on demand reruns of big bang theory.

until 8 pm.

when i couldn’t stand it any more.

i made them. they’re fabulous.

i meant to bring them to work to pawn them off. I took the container out of the fridge and obviously left it on the counter when i left. oh well.

Erin @ Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts — April 2, 2012 @ 10:02 am

Anything with cookie dough is a winner. I think I would eat all of these for lunch and dinner. It would not be pretty!

Gretta — April 2, 2012 @ 10:11 am

I love your blog and have a question. I just had some of the best pudding of my life, the Chocolate Chip Cooking Pudding from Sugar Sweet Sunshine in NYC (http://newyork.seriouseats.com/2009/10/sugar-rush-chocolate-chip-cookie-pudding.html). Have you had this before? The dish reminded me of your blog because it is really creative and delish. My goal is to be able to recreate this pudding at home in Boston. I am curious to know if there is sweetened condensed milk in the butterscotch pudding, if they sneak in cookie dough into the mix, and how they make this in general. If you ever get a chance to try this pudding please let me know what you think. Thanks!

Megan — April 2, 2012 @ 10:38 am

i made them this weekend!!! since it was impossible to find individual mini cups i made a big giant one! no portion control at all!! hahaha i suggest making the chocolate covering in Dark Chocolate instead of milk…sooooo sweet!! I love it!

Jeannine — April 2, 2012 @ 11:46 am

Oh my! I have to try these. The folks at my office would love them and so would my family, of course except for my poor lactose intolerant husband who is unfortunately allergic to everything. Thanks for sharing.

Cristina — April 2, 2012 @ 12:14 pm

Oh, why do I subscribe to your posts??? My daughter loves cookie dough and I LOVE peanut butter anything…. My diet HATES you ❤❤❤

Kris — April 3, 2012 @ 2:25 pm

Oh my stars! I have these in the final freezer stage right now! I didn’t have mini muffin cups, so I just used regular size…I figure then I won’t eat as many ;) The kids are gonna love me when they get home from school!