One of the most frequent questions I get asked the minute I hit publish on a Crumbs post is in relation to what photo apps I use for my pictures. If you’ve been reading for any time at all, you must know how humorous I find this since photography is waaaaay down at the bottom of the list when it comes to my favorite hobbies.

When I got my iPhone it pretty much changed my life because I don’t know jack about my DSLR and lugging that thing around sure does cramp my (lack there of) style. So for nearly a year, 99.9% of photos posted on Crumbs have been taken with my iPhone. These are my faves + most commonly used.

Instagram… duh.

I don’t really like the filters on Instagram anymore (thank goodness?) but I love the connection it brings with friends/readers/bloggers/stalkers. I find it to be one of the most personal forms of social media for me and have developed connections with others more through this than blogging, commenting on blogs, Twitter and Facebook. My username is howsweeteats! Shocker.

Snapseed.

Snapseed is by far my favorite app for filters and editing, and it has been for well over 6 months. I love it.

Camera +.

This comes in as a close second to Snapseed. Same deal – love the filters, love the borders, etc.

iDarkroom.

I used to love this app a whole lot more and don’t find myself using it quite as much as I did at first. Either way, it still has some cool filters… but occasionally can be overkill.

FingerFocus.

Most people probably find this app annoying, but I love it. It’s what I’ve used for all of these photos here (lazily, I may add) and does just what it says: uses your finger to bring whatever piece of the photo you’d like into focus.

PicFrame.

This is what I use to create photo collages. I’ve heard of some others that are more favored, but this does the trick for me. Annnnnd… if you haven’t noticed I have over 25+ photo apps so buying a new one isn’t exactly at the top of my list. But then again… what’s another $1.99?

Cue my husband’s eye roll.

Colorsplash.

Like FingerFocus, you use your finger to “color” whatever object you’d like in the photo while the background remains black + white. I like.

And that’s all she wrote. Obviously I have a crapton more but these are my favorites and go-to’s. What are yours?

63 Responses to “My Favorite iPhone Photo Apps.”

Sally @ sally's baking addiction — March 25, 2012 @ 5:13 pm

thank you for posting this Jessica! I honestly had NO idea there were so many iphone camera options. I use instagram all of the time. I just bought Camera+. Can’t wait!

nicole @ I am a Honey Bee — March 25, 2012 @ 5:16 pm

thanks for sharing!I love learning about new ones. I love photosynth for panoramics

Averie @ Averie Cooks — March 25, 2012 @ 5:20 pm

Oh I LOVE this post and run down of what you use!!

Finger focus. Was going to ask how you did this post, and viola, I need this in my life.

I purchased PicFrame for my imac desktop and should use it more, but don’t. I also have Snapseed and Camera+ for my iphone and have never once used them. Whoops. I just use Instagram b/c like you, I find it to be really personal and fun and I truly feel like I “know” people when I instagram with them or follow them or we comment back and forth.

GREAT POST!!!

Amy — March 25, 2012 @ 5:21 pm

If you want to take panoramic photos, try 360 – it works really well!

I also enjoy Diptic (sounds like it might be like your PicFrame) – the expansion pack makes 10x more awesome, too.

Erin — March 25, 2012 @ 5:21 pm

Hang on, so you use iPhone for all of the photos on your blog? Pretty sure I just got served. If this is true, it’s time for me to take the plunge. No mas Android.

• Jessica — March 25th, 2012 @ 5:28 pm

No no – just the photos on my Crumbs section. All the recipe photos are taken with my DSLR.

• Erin — March 25th, 2012 @ 5:31 pm

Oh thank God. What camera/lens do you use?

• Jessica — March 25th, 2012 @ 6:08 pm

Nikon D5000 + 35mm f/1.8!

Em (Wine and Butter) — March 25, 2012 @ 5:25 pm

Im so so glad you posted this! My husband only just informed me that there are all these other app’s you can use and then post to Instagram. Now, if only I could get over annoying the heck out of him by constantly saying ‘wait – don’t eat – I need a photo’ or ‘Will you take my picture please and try to make me look nice?? I’d be sorted. Cant wait to try these out! ps – Your Instagram feed makes me way jealous of your life lots :)

Heather (Heather's Dish) — March 25, 2012 @ 5:29 pm

um i clearly need to get on the ball with iphone apps…thanks for all the ideas!

Erica — March 25, 2012 @ 5:55 pm

may I request that you put a $$ next to each app? I’m cheap ;)

kathleen @ the daily crumb — March 25, 2012 @ 6:19 pm

thank you so much for this!! i just got an iPhone and love the camera apps. i have camera+, but none of the others. can’t wait to try them!!

stephanie@cookinfanatic — March 25, 2012 @ 6:25 pm

thanks so much for sharing these, i hadn’t even heard of half of them!!!

danielle — March 25, 2012 @ 6:40 pm

Thank you for this post!!!

Rachel — March 25, 2012 @ 6:51 pm

Starbucks had cards to get Snapseed for free not too long ago.

Becca @ Amuse Your Bouche — March 25, 2012 @ 6:51 pm

It baffles me when you say that you don’t enjoy photography that much, because I think you’re amazing at it! Also you have your own style – I can always tell when a post is yours just from the pictures!

Maggie @ A Bitchin' Kitchen — March 25, 2012 @ 6:59 pm

Thanks for this post! All I use are Instagram and Camera + at the moment…that will be changing shortly :)

pinguino — March 25, 2012 @ 7:49 pm

I use the photoshop app or luminance for editing, and the default camera app for editing. If I need to zoom I use proshots. I have tiltwhiftgen that I always forget to use, and when I get drunk I turn my friends into russian propaganda posters with iStalin.

Cecilia — March 25, 2012 @ 7:56 pm

I use Camera+ to take photos; I love their clarity feature. I also use picFrame but if I want a diagonal split, I use PolyFrame.

Rachel @ Baked by Rachel — March 25, 2012 @ 7:57 pm

Love these ideas! I only use the basic camera app on the phone and instagram – will have to look into these for fun

Brittany — March 25, 2012 @ 9:08 pm

I remember when you first got your iphone and were asking people for app suggestions because I got mine around the same time. It doesn’t take long to get addicted! :)

Thanks for sharing these apps. I’m excited to check them out.

Heather of Kitchen Concoctions — March 25, 2012 @ 9:28 pm

Ok Apple should totally pay you for your post here. I have been an android user and never *understood* all the hype of the iPhone, but man that’s even more that my computer can do! I think I am sold. Lol!

Alaina — March 25, 2012 @ 9:31 pm

Well, I think that that pretty much solidifies that I need to get an iPhone. I love instagram but it’s tough to use it on my iPod touch!

Samantha Cernock — March 25, 2012 @ 9:53 pm

Thanks for posting these!!! Love my iphone camera apps, and now I’m off to add Snapseed, PicFrame and Color Focus to my collection. Apple thanks you for you business! ; )

Sarah — March 25, 2012 @ 10:17 pm

Thanks for sharing!! Love your blog :) Just added Snapseed! Can’t wait to use it.

Maureen — March 26, 2012 @ 12:21 am

I LOVE this post! I am in desperate need on photo apps for my iphone. Thanks for sharing!

Dana B — March 26, 2012 @ 1:13 am

I want an iphone :( Hope to have one by the end of the year tho and then this post will really come in handy! :)

JFR — March 26, 2012 @ 3:59 am

so helpful thnx

Villy @ For the love of Feeding — March 26, 2012 @ 4:16 am

I think the sales of the apps will have a peak today and they’ll not know why! Thanks! :D

Dawn — March 26, 2012 @ 6:55 am

This was a good post. I always look for new apps, I think that I’m just not searching correctly. I appreciate you sharing this with us.

Jan Bertolini — March 26, 2012 @ 7:57 am

okey dokey! downloaded most of these, looking forward to trying them out! I think this will be a great tool for uploading to Pinterest. Perfect-o

Crusty — March 26, 2012 @ 8:04 am

A “crapton”? You *have* been watching Dexter!!! One of my favorite expressions. Especially when the word “metric” precedes it. :-)

Kat — March 26, 2012 @ 8:34 am

A little 0.99 action here, a 4.99 action there…..next thing you know, I’m broke. But I guess at least I’ll have good pics to show for it ;)

Thanks for doing this post, I’m always so curious about the apps that you use!

alison @ Ingredients, Inc. — March 26, 2012 @ 9:02 am

great post! I need this information. Hope you’re well!

Lynne Knowlton — March 26, 2012 @ 9:10 am

ohhh boy, I may just tempt you with two more temptations. My favourite is cartoonatic …it does some really cool stuff…and worth the upgrade to have the options and no ads. Still not expensive at all. I use it a ton. Hipstamatic is another fun one, that you may just LURRVVEEE.
    Cheers!
    Lynne

jen @ one curly fry — March 26, 2012 @ 9:22 am

I love Camera+, Instagram and Hipstamatic (although I haven’t been using that as much lately). I also have a ton of other apps that I don’t use much (Noir, iPhoto, ColorSplash) that I need to start using more.

Great post!!

Emilie @ Emilie's Enjoyables — March 26, 2012 @ 10:27 am

LOVE Camera+ !

Windy — March 26, 2012 @ 10:36 am

Thanks so much for this post. There were a few in there I wasn’t aware of. :) I’m a camera app junkie, too. My iPhone is the camera that’s always with me.

SallyBR — March 26, 2012 @ 10:56 am

Loved this post, as I just got an iPad a couple of months ago and have been trying to figure out how to use it for my blogging

stupid question of the day: do you know how the camera in an iPad compares to the camera in an iPhone? I just wonder…. some of the photos I took with the iPad seem grainy and overall pretty bad. operator mistake? or the iPad2 is just not good for that?

if anyone has some input, I’d appreciate it!

• Jessica — March 26th, 2012 @ 12:07 pm

Same deal here – I have an iPad2 and the camera is pretty grainy. However I never intended to use it as a camera and I’m assuming Apple didn’t either, just because it would be sort of large and awkward? The camera on the iPhone is incredible.

SallyBR — March 26, 2012 @ 12:16 pm

Thanks, Jessica!

I guess I’ll have to stick to my bulky camera instead. I don’t have an iPhone, and don’t really see one in my future… the iPad will have to do ;-)

Heidi Cannella — March 26, 2012 @ 2:24 pm

Thanks for the tips! I love Hipstamatic as well, but Camera Bag and Toy Camera are fun too. I am downloading snapspeed right now because I think you are the greatest find ever and if you tell me it is great, I’m sure it is. Pro HDR comes in handy sometimes if you are taking still photos – you can even turn it into a pencil sketch. Not so useful for taking pictures of my baby as it takes 2 photos and combines them. She won’t sit still long enough, but your food sure will!

Kelli @ The Corner Kitchen — March 26, 2012 @ 2:24 pm

Thanks for sharing!! Can’t wait to check out some new photo apps!

Faye — March 26, 2012 @ 4:33 pm

Love this info! So helpful! Thanks for sharing.

Tracy — March 26, 2012 @ 6:36 pm

Great information! I’m always looking for good recommendations when it comes to apps. Your pictures are always unique and beautiful! Thanks for sharing!

Mandy — March 27, 2012 @ 1:00 am

Thans for the tips! I had been just taking screenshots of various apps you’ve mentioned with the goal to go back later and purchase. It’s so funny how we (well myself, but I’m guessing you are this way as well), will barely bat an eye at buying a $30 shirt or an overpriced $6.99 candy bar, but then we cringe at forking over $.99 on an app. Gotta get over that mentality! LOL
    Your photos are always so gorgeous. You’ve got fab skills!

Lizz — March 31, 2012 @ 1:16 am

I am bookmarking this and visiting the app store ASAP…thanks so much for sharing, keep sharing your awesome pictures with us!

Bruce Evans — April 2, 2012 @ 9:31 pm

If you like playing around with your photos and turning them into something new and different, I would suggest the recently released SpinWarp app for $.99 http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/spinwarp/id510215099?mt=8.
    Tap buttons, spin picker wheels, and watch you photo morph into a kaleidoscopic, psychedelic mandala with literally billions of possible variations.

Jennifer — April 4, 2012 @ 12:24 pm

Take a look at the Camera awesome app..it’s one of my new go to apps

Cathy — April 23, 2012 @ 2:56 pm

What a cool selection of apps! I think I will be downloading the color splash app tonight! Please don’t think of this as Spam but I work for a company called Snapzing and it’s also a free photo app but it’s more of a social photo game. The neat feature of Snapzing is that after you take a great photo using one of these apps you mentioned, you can upload it to the contest and let others vote for the best photo. I’m always looking for new photo apps to try and then I love using them and uploading the photos to the Snapzing contest. It’s fun to talk about the different apps with the users on there as well as with fellow smartphone/iphone photographers. Thanks for sharing these photo app suggestions!

gopro sale — May 27, 2012 @ 12:29 am

The most difficult thing is to find a blog with unique and fresh content but your posts are not alike. Good job! Gopro Cameras

Strife Lim — May 30, 2012 @ 11:37 am

A great list of Camera iPhone apps!

Katie @ OhShineOn — July 31, 2012 @ 1:30 pm

I had no idea there were this many apps for photos. I feel like a complete amateur. I need to get me some of these!

SMD — August 1, 2012 @ 1:39 pm

Thank you thank you for linking this to your vacation photo montage. I just downloaded FingerFocus and iDarkroom. I have Camera+ but always forget to use it. Derr.

1. Pingback: thursday crumbs {+ a giveaway!} | The Daily Crumb