Well heeeey springtime.

I’m so glad you’re here.

Mainly because it means I do a whole slew of things like blast Kenny Chesney for hours on end, burn candles that smell like flowers until I remember (too late) that they make me want to vomit, go on long walks and SWEAR I’m going to walk like this every.afternoon! since it’s so pretty outside and take lots of pictures of weeds because, well… it’s spring and weeds sort of look like flowers when you haven’t seen flowers in eight months or whatever.

And things are just… different. They look prettier and smell tastier and act happier and feel all brand new and stuff.

But what this whole first week of spring really made me want to do? If I’m being entirely myself and honest and the open book that I tend to be?

It made me want to…

…consume a large amount of alcoholic beverages.

Not like LARGE large, as in I-don’t-want-to-remember-that-stupid-thing-I-did-last-night, but like VARIETY large, as in this warm breeze and sun on my shoulders and 8PM light would be the perfect setting for a tall, frosted glass of OMG thistastessogoodgivememorenow.

For days I’ve been craving something cold and icy with a hint of rum while watching the sun set. But I’ve also been thinking nonstop about a margarita on an outside porch with blue corn chips and endless guacamole. Oh but I’ve also been dreaming of mojitos patio-side in the early evening with some grilled fish tacos. And then there is our classic Malibu + cranberry while laying on the beach at like, 10AM. Oh and cold, cold beer? I could do that too. Or ice cold pinot grigio after a super hectic Monday? Gimme.

But uh, oh… look at that. WE CAN DO THAT TONIGHT! The whole ice cold pinot grigio after a hectic Monday thing? It can totally happen for happy hour and then continue on into dinner when you make this roasted chicken. Because Mondays usually stink… and I can’t think of anything better than making them enticing… with wine and a delicious meal…. and wine.

Springtime Honey Garlic Roast Chicken Skillet

serves about 4

3-4 pound roasting chicken, giblets removed

1 sweet onion, sliced

1 1/2 pounds baby red potatoes, halved

15 asparagus spears, halved & stems removed

1 pint cremini mushrooms

3 bulbs of garlic

4 tablespoons olive oil

1/4 cup honey + 1 tablespoon

salt + pepper

Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.In a large bowl, combine potatoes, onions and asparagus, tossing with a few pinches each of salt and pepper. Add in mushrooms and 1 tablespoon olive oil, tossing with your hands to combine. Drizzle in 1 tablespoon of honey and toss again. Take each head of garlic and slice off the top, and using your hands rub/peel away most of the outside paper. Drizzle each head with olive oil, then wrap separately cut-side up in a small square of aluminum foil. (For a more descriptive post on roasting garlic, click HERE.)

Pat chicken completely dry. Season both sides with salt and pepper, then rub each side with 1/2 tablespoons each of honey. Finish by coating the entire chicken with 1-2 tablespoons olive oil. Place chicken breast-side up in the center of a large cast-iron skillet. Place vegetables in the skillet around the chicken, stuffing a few underneath if needed. Place foil covered garlic bulbs on top of vegetables. Roast chicken for about 85-90 minutes. Once finished, remove and let sit for 10-20 minutes, then cut.

While chicken is resting, combine leftover honey and 1-2 heads of roasted garlic in a bowl. Mash and mix until combined, then use to coat vegetables or spread on chicken.

Notes: you don’t need to use a skillet – any sort of roasting pan would also work. I also suggest buying thicker asparagus because they are VERY roasted after being in the oven that long. If you don’t want them as crisp, toss in a bit of olive oil and add halfway through cooking.

This Monday totally rocks.

114 Responses to “Springtime Honey Garlic Roast Chicken Skillet.”

Miriam @ Overtime Cook — March 26, 2012 @ 7:19 am

What a delicious looking chicken recipe. I’m going to have to try this!

Erika - The Teenage Taste — March 26, 2012 @ 7:21 am

Wowza! This dish looks delicious, but I don’t know if I have the courage to cook up a whole chicken just yet! Maybe I’ll just try the veggie and potato portion right now – it looks really really good!

Kristen @ notsodomesticated — March 26, 2012 @ 7:21 am

Love this!! And I’ve also been feeling a margarita, blue chips, and guac … which is why I bought many of the ingredients this weekend! ;)

Maryea @ Happy Healthy Mama — March 26, 2012 @ 7:22 am

I’m glad I’m not the only one who instantly wants a drink on the patio when the weather warms up!

Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles — March 26, 2012 @ 7:26 am

Ooooh, summertime drinks- I’ve been craving those! Even though I can’t have them they sound delicious! ….Walks in the spring time like everyday- I’m thinking YES!

Lauren at Keep It Sweet — March 26, 2012 @ 7:26 am

This really is a great springtime meal!

Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers — March 26, 2012 @ 7:26 am

Your dinner looks fabulous! I really need to roast garlic. I don’t know why I don’t? Now you have me craving chicken and a margarita! DO you think margaritas and chicken would be ok for breakfast? Have a great week!!

Rachel @ Not Rachael Ray — March 26, 2012 @ 7:29 am

This looks FABULOUS.

Katrina (gluten free gidget) — March 26, 2012 @ 7:30 am

I love this idea!

Kathryn — March 26, 2012 @ 7:33 am

I’ve never met anybody else who drinks malibu and cranberry. I think I love you.

Also, yes, this is totally such a spring like meal. As I don’t have a garden/balcony, I will have to make this and stick my head out the window while I eat it.

• Jessica — March 26th, 2012 @ 7:40 am

We LIVE on Malibu + cranberry in the summer.

Blog is the New Black — March 26, 2012 @ 7:42 am

This sounds so incredible!

Noelle — March 26, 2012 @ 7:45 am

Looks delicious, but no way I’d be able to do on a Monday with two “starving” little ones pestering me about when its time to eat. Might be a Sunday meal for me. Yum.

Kim in MD — March 26, 2012 @ 7:46 am

That is one gorgeous meal, Jessica! And your’e right…the only thing that could make this meal better is nice cold glass of white wine or a cocktail! :-)

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat — March 26, 2012 @ 7:50 am

Mmmm yum! Roasted garlic is to me like brown butter is to you – makes everything taste a bazillion times better!! Cheers *clinks glass* ;)

Meg @ Peaches and Cake — March 26, 2012 @ 7:59 am

I want to take that roasted garlic bulb and pop the cloves into my MOUTH.

Cookbook Queen — March 26, 2012 @ 8:08 am

Kenny Chesney? You and my husband need to have a talk. I swear all his songs sound the same, but he loves the man.

And I want this for dinner. With something summery for dessert. I’m assuming you’ll bring that too? ;)

Natalie @ Cooking for My Kids — March 26, 2012 @ 8:18 am

Oh, my. That looks amazingly delicious. Like adding it to my menu very, very soon delicious. Happy Monday indeed!

Stephanie — March 26, 2012 @ 8:42 am

This looks amaaaazing! My boyfriend roasted a chicken for the first time last week, using your instructions (with me as sous-chef). He was SO proud of himself. He wants to roast chickens all the time now. This one is definitely going to be the next one we try!

Gen — March 26, 2012 @ 8:49 am

Yum!!! That entire meal looks amazing!

Liz @ Tip Top Shape — March 26, 2012 @ 8:53 am

I just had my first cold beer of the season and it was glorious. This bar by my apartment opened up their patio and a bunch of my friends and I went there after class. Glorious, indeed.

Stephanie @ Eat. Drink. Love. — March 26, 2012 @ 9:05 am

I have two favorite things about about this post. 1. talk of booze. and 2. roasted garlic.

Ryan — March 26, 2012 @ 9:05 am

Holy cow that looks phenomenal! I’ll be making this soon!

Jessica — March 26, 2012 @ 9:06 am

I am the same way with nice weather and booze. Something happens around March every year that makes me reach for my bottle of wine around 5:30 every night…

Nope, that’s all the time. Never mind. (This looks fab by the way.)

Sally @ sallys baking addiction — March 26, 2012 @ 9:18 am

Jessica, i can’t think of anything better on a Monday… this delicious meal and an unexplainable amount of wine. ;)

Allison P. — March 26, 2012 @ 9:28 am

I am definitely going to make that this week! Two of my favorite things – chicken and asparagus! Asparagus definitely means spring.

Jennifer — March 26, 2012 @ 9:37 am

I wish I could fall into spring/summer mode, but Boston just want from 80 degrees to 35! I swear, the weather here…

• Jessica — March 26th, 2012 @ 12:13 pm

Same thing happened here today. Crazy weather.

Gina @ Running to the Kitchen — March 26, 2012 @ 9:38 am

This just made me realize I have an open (forgotten) bottle of pinot grigio on the bottom shelf of my fridge. Monday just got a whole lot better!

Ashley — March 26, 2012 @ 9:39 am

It’s a springtime feast! I love any recipe with “skillet” in the name. And I still have yet to roast garlic…oops!

Maria — March 26, 2012 @ 9:39 am

Perfect spring meal!

Julie — March 26, 2012 @ 9:42 am

YUM!! That sounds like a great way to kick off Spring. Coctails and good cookin..

Bev Weidner — March 26, 2012 @ 9:52 am

Um, YES. Springtime, roasted chicken and a trough of white wine. And a funnel. For the wine. And maybe something else.

Lynne @ 365 Days of Baking — March 26, 2012 @ 9:57 am

Kenny Chesney and an alcoholic drink sound really good right now even thought it’s only 7 am here in AZ, but it is Monday!
    Your timing is incredible, Jessica, I just put a whole chicken in the fridge to defrost and wasn’t sure how I was going to prepare it.
    Where do you get your dishes? I love that one with the red on it.

Georgia @ The Comfort of Cooking — March 26, 2012 @ 10:03 am

I roasted a chicken on Friday night but definitely wish I did it like this instead! This looks so mouthwatering and damn good! Awesome recipe. Thanks for sharing!

Rachel @ Baked by Rachel — March 26, 2012 @ 10:04 am

Yippee another awesome reason I need a large skillet asap :)

Cassie — March 26, 2012 @ 10:09 am

Yay spring. Yay Kenny. Yay spring cocktails. this is a beautiful dish, love the roasted garlic addition!

Lauren — March 26, 2012 @ 10:11 am

I love this idea!! Love love love!

The Mrs @ Success Along the Weigh — March 26, 2012 @ 10:31 am

Roasted garlic would make a boot taste good. Loooove this.

Dusty @ Running to Healthy — March 26, 2012 @ 10:42 am

Yum! I maybe making this in the near future.

Ashley — March 26, 2012 @ 10:49 am

This looks amazing! I have pinned it so I remember to try it soon.

Emilie @ Emilie's Enjoyables — March 26, 2012 @ 10:55 am

I’ve totally been dreaming of the margaritas + guacamole and I’m happy to say I fulfilled that dream this weekend :)

Courtney @ Bake.Eat.Repeat. — March 26, 2012 @ 10:58 am

I bet that chicken looked like Godzilla to those poor little veggies! But to me, it just looks delicious.

Averie @ Averie Cooks — March 26, 2012 @ 11:05 am

This reminds me of how my grandma used to roast a chicken. I can still smell it, 20 years later :)

Shari @ The Daily Dish — March 26, 2012 @ 11:38 am

Definitely bookmarking this one. Looks delicious!

Nancy @ CouponClippingCook — March 26, 2012 @ 11:39 am

I kept wondering what was inside of the foil…and then I saw the roasted garlic…genious! Love it! I actually have a whole chicken thawing right now in the fridge. perfect timing!

CeliaLindsell.com — March 26, 2012 @ 11:52 am

How delicious. Honey with chicken is so good. I use Provencal Lavender Honey when cooking chicken. Really spring like!

Karriann — March 26, 2012 @ 12:20 pm

One word: YUMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM ;)

“Spice it Up”

Janetha @ meals & moves — March 26, 2012 @ 12:34 pm

bright and beautiful!

CherylK — March 26, 2012 @ 12:58 pm

You are one smart cookie! The recipe is going to be a keeper, I know, but I must also add that your rationale for cooking this (sitting outside with a lovely beverage) is spot on. 85 to 90 minutes allows for a couple of beverages, probably!

Natalie Boenker — March 26, 2012 @ 1:09 pm

Quick question if I wanted to go ahead and use chicken breasts and/or thighs and not a whole chicken what would the cooking time be? More around 30 minutes? Thanks!

• Jessica — March 26th, 2012 @ 1:16 pm

If you want to do that, I’d probably sear the chicken first in the skillet over high heat, add the vegetables (chopped a bit small maybe so they cook in the shorter amount of time) then cook about 30 minutes!

• Natalie Boenker — March 26th, 2012 @ 1:21 pm

Great, thank you so much! LOVE all your recipes!

Katie — March 26, 2012 @ 1:14 pm

I just want the potatoes and the mushrooms. And the asparagus and garlic. Oooh, ok…that chicken looks good, too. I’ll take 29 skillets please.

1. Pingback: Springtime Honey Garlic Roast Chicken Skillet. | How Sweet It Is | Which Wine Is Sweet

2. Pingback: Springtime Honey Garlic Roast Chicken Skillet. | How Sweet It Is - pinot-grigio

3. Pingback: Roast Chicken First Timer