Breakfast!

Strawberry Banana Cream Baked Oatmeal Squares I howsweeteats.com

Straight up from the How Sweet kitchen. Weird because…

I’ve made no bones about it – I like my oatmeal one way and one way only:

inside

my

cookies.

Strawberry Banana Cream Baked Oatmeal Squares I howsweeteats.com

But recently… something weird happened. My husband – who has always claimed to “hate oatmeal!”… has started to eat oatmeal. Every single morning. Like, a lot of oatmeal. Like nearly two freaking cups of oatmeal. Who can eat two freaking cups of oatmeal? He can, apparently.

And it’s turned into a new addiction for him. We’ve suffered through many addictions of his together: diet Mountain Dew, English muffins with peanut butter and jelly, some really disgusting casserole thing he used to throw together in a 9×13 dish with plain chicken, plain boxed stuffing and a can of soup, protein bars and my least favorite: plain tuna mixed with hard boiled eggs. I’m sure you can figure out why.

Strawberry Banana Cream Baked Oatmeal Squares I howsweeteats.com

And you know, I just can’t let anything be. I mean, you’d think I wouldn’t even pay attention to this guy I live with eating oatmeal every single morning. You’d thing I’d learn to pick my battles by now. Or just shut up.

But no! Of course not. It pains me to watch people eat the exact same food, over and over again, for months or even years. Isn’t it just so… boring?! I can’t even eat the same breakfast two days in a row. The only time dinner leftovers appeal to me is if they include something like mac and cheese or pork, and even then I still find a way to twist the dish around, usually by putting everything atop blue corn chips. Because nachos make the world go ’round.

Not sure what to have for dinner tonight? Just plop a ton of ingredients over chips. Turns that frown upside down.

Strawberry Banana Cream Baked Oatmeal Squares I howsweeteats.com

So this was my attempt at reeling him out of the boring oatmeal rut. Seriously, I want someone who wants to eat pancakes or eggs with me on Saturday… not someone who says “I’d rather eat this bowl of gloppy paste.” What does that even mean?

It was also my attempt at recreating one of my most favorite childhood foods: Quaker strawberries and cream instant oatmeal. Now THAT is some oatmeal I can get behind. I still adore the stuff. Two packets, made with vanilla almond milk in the microwave and devoured. I totally treat myself to that like, once every few minutes.

Unfortunately… this isn’t that. But it’s pretty close. I actually found the texture of this baked oatmeal incredibly appealing. It was chewy but not soupy or wet. And then I poured some vanilla-infused cream over it and well, I don’t even know what to say about that. Besides… OMG.

Strawberry Banana Cream Baked Oatmeal Squares I howsweeteats.com

Strawberry Banana Cream Baked Oatmeal Squares

[adapted from taste of home]

serves 4-6

2 cups old fashioned oats

1/3 cup loosely packed brown sugar

1 teaspoon baking powder

1/4 teaspoon salt

1/4 teaspoon cinnamon

1 large egg

1 cup milk

1/4 cup half and half

2 teaspoons vanilla extract

3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted

1 medium ripe banana, mashed

3/4 cup chopped strawberries (about 4 large berries)

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Spray a baking dish with nonstick spray – I used a 10×7 dish, but an 8×8, 9×9, round cake pan or another size close to that will work too.

In a large bowl, combine oats, sugar, baking powder, salt and cinnamon, mixing until combine. Measure out the cup of milk, then whisk in egg and vanilla extract. Add half and half to the milk mixture, then stir it into the dry oats. Mix in mashed banana and melted butter, then chopped strawberries, then scoop the batter into the baking dish. Bake for 30-33 minutes, or until the edges are golden brown and the top is set. Remove and let cool for 5 minutes before serving. Top with strawberries, bananas and milk or half and half infused with vanilla extract.

Note: If served immediately, squares may not hold together perfectly. If they are left to cool, they should hold together fine and be able to be eaten with your hands.

Strawberry Banana Cream Baked Oatmeal Squares I howsweeteats.com

But a piece of bacon wouldn’t be so bad.

127 Responses to “Strawberry Banana Cream Baked Oatmeal Squares.”

Steph@stephsbitebybite — March 29, 2012 @ 2:00 pm

…so I’m am totally one of those annoying people who eats the same thing every day! I know…BORING. But, it looks like I now have a new oatmeal breakfast to make and eat for the next year! (Every morning)

Rachel @ The Avid Appetite — March 29, 2012 @ 2:09 pm

I don’t really love oatmeal either unless it’s mixed with pumpkin or a ton of maple syrup and cinnamon. I do love baked oatmeal though. Love your version!

Jo — March 29, 2012 @ 2:25 pm

I truly despise oatmeal. :(

Rabia — March 29, 2012 @ 2:37 pm

I cannot stand sweet oatmeal, but I love chucking oats into my smoothies and cookies! Waiting impatiently for the bananas to ripen so I can make this, STAT!

Ashley @ Wishes and Dishes — March 29, 2012 @ 2:38 pm

I love oatmeal so I will love these!!

Jen Marie — March 29, 2012 @ 2:55 pm

This looks decadent! In that cream and strawberries way… I’m all into it. The kids will like it and I can change it up with peaches and cinnamon or whatever…

Mari — March 29, 2012 @ 3:57 pm

I must make this. Must!

Cathy — March 29, 2012 @ 4:25 pm

I love baked oatmeal and will have to try! And eggs over tortilla chips is my standard out-of-time dinner.

Rebecca C. — March 29, 2012 @ 5:06 pm

My husband and I have totally gotten hooked on baked oatmeal recently. I use a slightly different recipe (ex. no cream, more milk) but some suggestions to add….chopped nuts and orange zest. Makes it *delicious*. My favorite is with those add-ins plus blueberries and a peach chopped up. So. Good.

Danica @ GirlsThatRun — March 29, 2012 @ 5:39 pm

I’ve never tried baked oatmeal but I might have to after this. Looks delish!!

Sarah @ studiofood — March 29, 2012 @ 5:45 pm

Violently obsessed with oatmeal, strawberries and bananas. So keen for this!

Margarita — March 29, 2012 @ 5:57 pm

THIS is my kind of food… I would eat this for breakfast, lunch, or dinner. Oatmeal is just so hearty and warming and delicious, especially with all that fruit! YUM!

Alexandra (Veggin' Out in the Kitchen) — March 29, 2012 @ 6:21 pm

Could oatmeal possibly look more beautiful?! I admit that I eat it just about every day, and I would probably eat it two to three times a day if that baked oatmeal was sitting in my kitchen!

By the way, I love your site! My mom and I were nearly (scratch that, we were) drooling while looking at your recipes – especially the four cheese mac and cheese! We ended up trying the bbq cheddar chickpea burgers, and we were blown away by the flavor! We found a smoked cheddar to use and well, there may or may not have been moans of joy while devouring the burgers ;)

Lauren — March 29, 2012 @ 6:54 pm

This looks amazing! I can’t wait to make this! How much half & half and vanilla extract do I use for the cream to pour over the oatmeal once its done?

Thanks!

Deborah — March 29, 2012 @ 7:03 pm

I’m not an oatmeal fan, but I might even actually like this!

Chris — March 29, 2012 @ 7:51 pm

I make a creamy baked peach oatmeal…..just DREAMY with unsweetened vanilla almond Silk! Baked with it AND topped with it! Peaches and cream…..<<>> I will admit to eating it at least four days a week. Could be more…..

Ashley @ Kitchen Meets Girl — March 29, 2012 @ 8:47 pm

Yeah, I’m one of those weird people who usually eats the same breakfast every day (during the work-week, anyway)–and it’s usually oatmeal. But this version looks MUCH better than what I typically make. Gotta try it!

An Adoring Fan — March 29, 2012 @ 8:51 pm

So oatmeal? Not really my thing either. That texture… I just can’t do it! But this recipe I MUST try ASAP. Looks way too good to pass up!

Dana B — March 29, 2012 @ 8:55 pm

ohhhh. This looks heavenly… :)

lydia — March 29, 2012 @ 9:16 pm

Didn’t make these, but i certainly DID pile a bunch of leftovers on blue corn chips tonight. Thanks a whole lot! Sheesh!

Nicole — March 29, 2012 @ 9:18 pm

I am always looking for a new spin on oatmeal and this Strawberry Banana Cream version sounds delightful! I cant wait to make it.

CulinarilyCourtney — March 29, 2012 @ 11:25 pm

There must be something in the water because, I don’t usually eat oatmeal very much either, but for the past two weeks it has been practically my only breakfast craving! Weird! This recipe looks really tasty, and I agree–a nice things to switch things up with gloppy oats.

Choc Chip Uru — March 30, 2012 @ 6:11 am

This bake is exquisite – what a delicious piece of wonderful breakfast :D

Cheers
    Choc Chip Uru
    Latest: Maple Raisin Ice Cream

Margo — March 30, 2012 @ 6:20 am

Totally making this for thr company we are having this weekend!

Donna — March 30, 2012 @ 7:13 am

This looks spectacular…do you think a lo-fat or regular coconut milk could work for the half and half? Or evaporated milk? (What I have in the pantry)…Thank you so very much for the oatmeal option…it IS so easy to get into breakfast ruts…this ranks up there with brunch fare…and I also love your reader’s riff with blueberries/peaches or nectarines….Love your writing by the way…your text and observations are day brightening!

• Jessica — March 30th, 2012 @ 7:14 am

Yes I definitely think that would work! Thanks Donna. :)

April — March 30, 2012 @ 8:51 am

Looks beautiful and delicious! I would certainly choose this over a hideous bowl of oatmeal.

I have two weird eaters in my life. And just about the time I decide I guess I should start stocking up on their latest obsession, and do, they are on to something else and I’m stuck with all the old stuff. My husband’s latest obsession is Greek yogurt and organic Peanut Butter Panda Puffs. He’s on a business trip and I just stalked up yesterday, so you know what that means…

Chris — March 30, 2012 @ 10:00 am

OHMYGOSH! This sounds SO yummy! I have been all over baked oatmeal lately. Since last fall actually. I make lots of varieties (gingerbread oatmeal is my fave). It reheats great with a drizzle of milk. I can’t wait to try this. And I’m completely behind you on the gloppy oatmeal thing….who wants to eat something that looks like paste? Bluck!

idiosyncratic eye — March 30, 2012 @ 10:45 am

Coincidentally, I’m eating a rather large bowl of porridge right now. Porridge not oatmeal, huge difference in consistency and with flaked almonds, dried cranberries, chocolate chips and honey is rather different than stuck in the rut oatmeal too. This is amazing, it reminds me of flapjack but has all the styling of a fancy pudding! :)

Margie — March 30, 2012 @ 11:06 am

This recipe looks great, can’t wait to try it!

Just one question, I have unprocessed cane sugar; can I use that instead of brown sugar?

Sandi — March 30, 2012 @ 11:07 am

Help! Infused half and half?!?
    Are you getting fancy on us or does that just mean add ____ much extract to ____ much haf and half or cream?!?….Help! I feel culinar-ily challenged! :O

Ginger — March 30, 2012 @ 4:40 pm

Baked oatmeal has recently become my favourite breakfast in the world! I have mostly been drinking smoothies every morning, but since trying this baked oatmeal recipe I found on pinterest… I’m hooked! I put it into small plastic containers and freeze them so that I have a ready breakfast available for those morning when I sleep in/take an extra long shower/play with my cat (there’s a microwave at my office, so I can just heat it up at work).

meg — March 30, 2012 @ 7:41 pm

I l-o-v-e oatmeal, but I’ve never tried baked oatmeal. I’m so doing this asap… looks amahhhzing. (Happy Endings reference, I don’t really say it like that.)

Tammi — March 30, 2012 @ 7:55 pm

I can’t wait to try this tomorrow morning for me and my daugther!! Thanks for another great recipe!!

aubrey — March 31, 2012 @ 1:40 am

I am going to make these this weekend!

gandacummings.blogspot.com

Andrea — March 31, 2012 @ 8:22 am

Had this for breakfast this morning. “Best oatmeal ever” from my husband….and I have to agree. Quaker has nothing on you!

Karriann — March 31, 2012 @ 11:26 am

OMG. I could have this everyday!

“Happy Cooking”

Moni'sMeals — March 31, 2012 @ 2:21 pm

I love oatmeal and this I will have to make! YUMM! :)

Jgcnowmama — April 1, 2012 @ 4:19 pm

I was wondering also if you have to use the heavy cream? Of course out tastes heavenly, but I would like to reduce the fat content without ruining the taste. Any suggestions?

Betsy — April 2, 2012 @ 1:06 pm

Hi! Can you add extra strawberries into the oatmeal?? Thanks for all your YUMMMY recipes! -Betsy

• Jessica — April 2nd, 2012 @ 1:11 pm

You can try, but strawberries have a pretty high water content and the oatmeal could either 1. never cook through thoroughly or 2. take a lot longer to cook.

• Betsy — April 2nd, 2012 @ 2:17 pm

I will just put them on top then. Thanks for the reply!

Katie @ OhShineOn — April 2, 2012 @ 3:22 pm

This is going on the top of my recipe-making list. Top priority is a good place to be… Just saying.

Jazzy — April 3, 2012 @ 2:04 pm

Wonderful! I think I make this Friday Morning , cause my boys will be home for Easter and next Monday Too! yummmmmmmmmm I love oatmeal I confess , I would eat oatmeal all the time but we know we can’t do that lol! My husband makes him a huge bowl of it too when he eats it. only 1 serving fills me up! ty for sharing. I want my family to wake up to the smells of this dish!( I’m going to make the chocolate biscuits too( going to do whole wheat flour ) Sorry this is soooooooo long I love typing!

Tracy — April 3, 2012 @ 6:46 pm

I am so loving this! What a great breakfast!

Melanie — April 3, 2012 @ 11:24 pm

mmmm! i have this in the oven now. my babe has a new job and i want to send him away in the morning with this! it smells delightful! didn’t get baking powder while @store today or regular milk so I used coconut milk cut the amount in half and used some yogurt instead + 1/4 tsp baking soda to substitute. hopefully it turns out…your recipe had me smiling the whole time i mixed it! thanks!!

Erin — April 6, 2012 @ 1:51 pm

This would be great for easter brunch too. But I am already going to a friends for fried chicken and waffles haha

Sarah @ The Healthy Diva — April 7, 2012 @ 6:19 pm

Haha I’m just like your husband…I can eat enormous bowls of oatmeal and my family look at me and wonder how I do it. My normal portion doesn’t even fit into our standard cereal bowls…I have to use a salad bowl! which just makes me load it up with even more stuff. I should really break out of this rut and try your oatmeal bake

lizabethj — April 7, 2012 @ 8:22 pm

Jessica, thank you for a great recipe! I made this exactly as the recipe is written – it was excellent. It did taste better with a little half and half poured over the top as you said, but regular or lowfat milk is good. I’m going to try to cut the brown sugar by half and if I need it sweeter, I’ll use a little bit of sugar free syrup over the top after it’s been baked. I’m also going to try cutting the butter by 1/3 (1 Tbsp). My husband loved it too. We are both diabetic so cutting the sugar would make it healthier for us. This one is a keeper. A friend of mine pointed out that this would be an excellent dish to bring or serve at a brunch because it’s a healthy option for guests.

Becca — April 9, 2012 @ 1:46 pm

This is in the oven now! I am NOT a morning person, but we are having this for lunch! I’m hoping to make some up to freeze that way the hubs/kids and can just pop it in the microwave and pour some milk on it in the morning. (if they like it) I’m sure they will, but am very excited about the for my lunch in 10 minutes

Erin — April 15, 2012 @ 8:30 pm

I prepared this as a dessert tonight and served it with vanilla ice cream. It was delicious! I’m looking forward to leftovers tomorrow for breakfast (and lunch and dinner). Thanks for another wonderful recipe!

Jayme — April 16, 2012 @ 11:25 am

I made these today for my birthday treat to take to work – yum!! I didn’t have a banana so I used pumpkin puree instead and it was delish! I also topped it with with some blueberries.

Thanks for a great recipe once again!!

Haley — April 16, 2012 @ 12:55 pm

Hi there! I love your blog and am so thankful for your creative recipes and your sense of humor! I am featuring this recipe on my blog today and linking to your post. Thanks for all the food inspiration!