Toasted Sesame Ginger Salmon I howsweeteats.com

Right now, I’m staring blankly at this picture of hairy ginger.

Sort of freaky right?

Toasted Sesame Ginger Salmon I howsweeteats.com

It’s last night.

I’m watching new-school 90210, as opposed to old-school 90210.

I’m realizing that my constant mention of television shows is making it sound like I 1. have no life and 2. am a complete couch potato.

I ate 5-day old soup for dinner followed by copious handfuls of mini chocolate chips.

That soup that was supposed to be my husband’s lunch today.

I strategically have a blanket placed over my head to cover my entire face when that stupid Silent House movie preview comes on during every single commercial break.

Am currently debating on emptying my remaining Kate Spade shopping cart contents… into my virtual bag. Also trying to figure out how I can strategically sleep on my hair-salonified mane while keeping it “country star big” for tomorrow. Which is really today. Which really just consists of cooking four recipes, eating four recipes, exercising and making a general mess of things – all deemed big hair worthy. Realizing that my current headache prooooobably has something to do with my big hair. But at least that headache gave me free reign to hang out and watch one of the greatest movies of all time: Father of the Bride.

My taste is impeccable.

Toasted Sesame Ginger Salmon I howsweeteats.com

And I’m pretty sure that my capability of discussing any and everything BUT toasted sesame ginger salmon, including my current whereabouts and scattered brain, also have to do with this big hair. Because it just doesn’t seem right that you eat salmon with big hair. Right? I feel like I should be eating grits or something. And swallowing my stereotyping.

But… I’m going to break the rules.

It’s no secret that we are huge, huge salmon fans up in this piece. I love salmon every which waytil Sunday (whatever that means) but given my recent fascination with all things toasted and sesame-like, this rocked my tiny flavor bubble. Broiling the fish is my favorite way to prepare it since it develops a somewhat crunchy crust, but you can make this however you choose and have dinner on the table within an hour or less. We ate it with rice one night, had leftovers with pasta the next, and then finally my husband stuffed it between toasted buns for the most perfect sandwich ever. Don’t even say it.

And now I feel compelled to tell you that I haven’t eaten a single vegetable in three whole days. Things are looking up.

Toasted Sesame Ginger Salmon I howsweeteats.com

sesame ginger honey glaze
1/4 cup honey
1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
1 teaspoon soy sauce
1/2 teaspoon freshly grated ginger
1/2 teaspoons toasted sesame seeds

Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and place a wire rack over top. Spray the rack with nonstick spray.

In a large bowl or baking dish, combine olive oil, sesame oil, soy sauce, garlic, ginger, vinegar, brown sugar and whisk well until combined. Add salmon to the dish or place everything in a ziplock bag, then refrigerate and marinate for 30 minutes.

Preheat the broiler in your oven. (Or preheat your grill, etc if you prefer to use something else.)

Remove salmon with kitchen tongs and place directly on the wire rack. Sprinkle with a little bit of salt and pepper, then place directly under the broiler. Cook for 10-12 minutes, depending on the salmon's thickness (our's was just about an inch thick), until opaque and easily flakable with a fork. You can flip the salmon halfway through cooking if desired.

Remove and serve immediately, with a sprinkling of toasted sesame seeds, green onions and the glaze below.

sesame ginger honey glaze
Combine all ingredients in a bowl and whisk until smooth. Pour over salmon.

Toasted Sesame Ginger Salmon I howsweeteats.com

Tomorrow we eat dessert. If that’s okay with you.

318 Responses to “Toasted Sesame Ginger Salmon.”

Diana — March 30, 2012 @ 11:17 am

I made this last night and it was amazing. My husband isn’t that into fish, so I made his with chicken and marinaded it a lot longer. He said it was really good with chicken too. Thanks for the great recipe!!!

• Erin — February 10th, 2013 @ 5:31 pm

Putting this in the oven shortly, can’t wait! Do you broil on the low or high setting?

kORI — April 8, 2012 @ 7:34 pm

kORI — April 8, 2012 @ 7:57 pm

SD — April 12, 2012 @ 8:46 pm

I made this for the family tonight. Everyone loved it! Thanks for the delicious recipe, we were getting tired of our overused salmon recipe.

Amy — April 16, 2012 @ 8:42 pm

Soooo delicious. Even my daughter, who swears she doesn’t like fish, gave it a thumbs up. Can’t wait to have the leftovers for lunch tomorrow!

Missy Lowery — April 19, 2012 @ 8:29 pm

I found this pinned on Pinterest and I must say I usually only go look at the recipe and not the talk…but you…yes YOU caught my attention and made me laugh! Thanks for the laugh AND the new recipe!

Liah B — April 20, 2012 @ 11:28 am

I saw this recipe on Pinterest and made it last night. It was AMAZING!! I served it with mashed potatoes and greenbeans with a little sesame seeds and soy sauce on them. Soooo good. Thanks for the recipe!

Amanda — April 21, 2012 @ 8:18 pm

This salmon recipe is delicious, quick and easy! Thank you for sharing.

Mandy — April 21, 2012 @ 10:35 pm

Hi! I was all set to make this tonight, but my mom and i lost track of time while shopping. I looked up the hours of our local Costco and saw that it hadnalready closed, so we said screw it and kept on shopping! LOL Hopefully, this will be dinner tomorrow. It looks absolutely delicious :)

Anyway, I just wanted to know if you could tag this recipe as Seafood so it will show up in the seafood section of your site? Or maybe you have to actually add it in there; I have no idea how websites work. I couldn’t find it when I was looking for it in Seafood and drove myself crazy searching your site for it. I couldn’t find the 30 minute salmon you recently posted too. Sorry to write you a novel complaining about this!

Hannah Gallardo — April 22, 2012 @ 10:42 pm

What do u preheat the oven to???? My bf and I are making this right now :D

Laney — April 26, 2012 @ 10:39 pm

Wow… I made this for dinner tonight and the family LOVED it. It was so tender and flavorful. Absolutely delicious! I did not have salmon so I used tilapia instead and it turned out great, next time I’m definitely making it again.

Laney — April 26, 2012 @ 10:41 pm

woops.. I meant. Next time Ill try it with salmon.

Janis — April 29, 2012 @ 7:09 pm

I tried this recipe. I’m actually chowing it down as we speak. It is delicious! It’s a nice variety to my salmon. My daughter’s getting tired of the lemon-butter combo and this one surely delivered. The recipe is perfect. I didn’t change a thing except the vinegar part because I only have red wine and distilled white at home. I used the distilled white vinegar. Anywho, I can’t wait for my sister to try this recipe. Thanks once again for sharing this.

Laura — April 29, 2012 @ 10:06 pm

This was amazing – especially the glaze! So glad to find your site – thanks!

Samantha — May 5, 2012 @ 12:52 am

This recipe is AMAZING! I love the glaze so so so much…this is definitely a must every month.

Alysa (InspiredRD) — May 7, 2012 @ 8:55 pm

This is in the oven right now and oh…my…goodness smells so good. Can’t wait to eat it with coconut rice and pineapple.

Debbie Martin — May 8, 2012 @ 10:16 pm

This was by far the best salmon my family and I have ever eaten the glaze was the best!!

Melanie Heavenly — May 14, 2012 @ 3:46 pm

This looks divine. Found on pinterest and printed recipe. Thanks for sharing!

Lynne Lasher — May 19, 2012 @ 12:28 pm

This sounds amazing. I’m not a salmon fan so I am going to try it with fresh tuna. Can’t wait…

Tanya — May 21, 2012 @ 1:01 pm

Anyone know what temp you bake it at??

Tanya — May 21, 2012 @ 1:06 pm

Oops just saw that you broil…do you do it on low or high

merat — May 22, 2012 @ 7:11 pm

I made this but it didn’t came out as crispy and golden as in the picture… Was i suppose to cook it with the final glaze?!

Britt — May 22, 2012 @ 11:10 pm

Just made this for supper! It was the best salmon I have ever eaten. Seriously! I grilled it nom nom nom!!

Casie — May 24, 2012 @ 8:25 pm

I made this for supper one night! It was soo easy and delicious! My husband loved it! I will for sure make this again!!

Shannon — May 28, 2012 @ 7:40 pm

Absolutely delicious. Hubby said it was restaurant quality. Score!!!! Thanks for sharing it!

Linda — May 29, 2012 @ 11:35 am

Well, I don’t know about the salmon yet, because I just read your comments. But if the salmon is anything like your hilarious comments, it will be a favorite! You are too funny! Will let you know on the salmon later. However, by the other comments, I would say it must be a winner! Thanks for the morning laugh!

Carolyn Bradford — May 30, 2012 @ 11:10 pm

This picture was so pretty I pinned it weeks ago…I bought salmon today to make it for tomorrow night and just found this pin…I’ve laughed until I know this recipe was meant for me! Can’t wait! This post was precious!

Jollen Romero — June 4, 2012 @ 3:10 pm

I tried this recipe this weekend and it was a complete success with my family…I even had to do it twice since it was such a great hit. I tweaked it a little the second time by adding a teaspoon of orange zest and 1/4 cup of chopped walnuts to the glaze which made it absolutely incredible. Thanks a lot for the great recipe :)

Patricia Miller — June 12, 2012 @ 7:05 am

I made this this weekend and it was seriously SO good – and so easy! Thanks for sharing!

DeniseD — June 12, 2012 @ 10:48 am

Absolutely amazing! Hubby and I were fight over last piece! Very easy even though it looks difficult!

Jasmine — June 13, 2012 @ 2:47 pm

I made this once already and am going to make it again tonight! It was a huge hit!!! Thanks so much for the recipe! :)

scott — June 16, 2012 @ 11:58 pm

really good recipe prep time a little long but really good salmon plus we had the angel hair scallion pasta mm good

Lindsey — June 18, 2012 @ 1:47 pm

How long would you need to bake or broil if you are substituting the salmon with chicken?

Jessica B. — June 27, 2012 @ 8:55 pm

I made this for dinner tonight and we really enjoyed it. It reminds me how much I enjoy salmon when it’s flavored well. I had extra glaze so I incorporated it into the wild rice that I served as a side dish. It was a yummy addition. Thank you for sharing this recipe.

caroline storen — July 16, 2012 @ 4:03 am

i am cooking the salmon as i type and it smells devine, thanks for the recipe, i think it will be regular at our house.

Jennifer — August 23, 2012 @ 7:44 pm

This dinner was delicious! Can’t wait to make it again. My 4 year old daughter who is a very picky eater even enjoyed it :)

Maggie @ A Bitchin' Kitchen — August 25, 2012 @ 7:40 pm

Sooo, funny story.

My oven totally caught on fire when I was about 4 minutes into broiling this! I have the glaze sitting on the counter, and I made the mistake of tasting it after the salmon-destroying fire occurred. Holy heck, it is amazing. I just ordered Chinese takeout since flame-charred salmon doesn’t sound so great, and plan to dunk my eggrolls and dumplings in the glaze. I will be trying this again, but perhaps in a 400 degree oven instead of my scary flame-shooting broiler!

At least one of the 5 firemen who showed up was nice to look at :)

Christina — August 26, 2012 @ 11:37 pm

I saw this on Pinterest and had to make it. We are stationed in AK and my husband just got back from dip-netting for Salmon. Even though he got tons of Salmon, he is not a big fan of it. So when I saw this recipe I had to try it (we grilled ours). He, my 2 yr old daughter and I loved it. I will be using this recipe again and again and again. You are truly an awesome chef!!! Thank you for sharing!

Jessica — October 4, 2012 @ 1:50 am

My boyfriend’s mom came over for dinner tonight, and I made this dish. HUGE success! I paired it with roasted mushrooms, broccoli rabe w/ shallots, and asian cucumber salad and a green salad w/ cabbage and slivered almonds. My bf said it’s the best salmon dish I’ve ever made. Please keep in mind that I cook every night, and we eat a LOT of fish. Thank you for a super easy recipe! I had every ingredient in my pantry but had never paired them all together this well! If you’re thinking about making this, just do it…you won’t be disappointed.

Sabrina — October 4, 2012 @ 7:58 pm

I just made it for dinner tonight- boyfriend and I LOVED it :)

Sarah — October 10, 2012 @ 12:42 pm

This looks amazing! Just went to the store and bought all the ingredients to make this tonight! One quick question … do you remove the skin? and if so any tips on doing it? thanks!

• Jessica — October 10th, 2012 @ 3:04 pm

If I buy salmon with skin on, I usually don’t remove the skin until after cooking. Otherwise it’s just too hard for me. I broil it skin-side down and then it usually slides right off!

Maria M Triana — October 11, 2012 @ 7:54 pm

Hi howsweeteats, my name is Maria. This is an amazing recipe. I love all your recipes so much that I tried this one and added to my blog, but giving the link to here, as the original source, as I always do with everything I publish. Thank you very much for your time and kind consideration and for the excellent recipes you bring to us.

Jillian — October 15, 2012 @ 6:35 pm

Made this tonight and it was amazing….better than amazing! Your website is my go-to for a great meal!

Vyvacious — November 1, 2012 @ 5:16 am

That mouthwatering picture of the salmon on Pinterest was what prompted me to click through to your website and read the entire post. This looks so good. I have no idea what the big hair has anything to do with but more power to ya. Either way, I know what I want sandwiched in between my toasted buns next time I’m feeling lonely and ravenous ;)

Heidi — November 4, 2012 @ 5:39 am

Made this tonight for dinner…AMAZING!!! My husband and I practically licked our plates clean. Best salmon I’ve ever made! Thanks for a great recipe :)

Nina Bustamente — December 8, 2012 @ 4:11 pm

Does your blog have a contact page? I’m having a tough time locating it but, I’d like to send you an email.
    I’ve got some recommendations for your blog you might be interested in hearing. Either way, great site and I look forward to seeing it develop over time.

Colby Prauner — December 11, 2012 @ 5:55 pm

I hardly comment, but I read some of the responses on Toasted Sesame Ginger Salmon | How Sweet It Is.

I actually do have 2 questions for you if you do not mind.
    Could it be only me or do a few of these responses look like they are left by brain dead visitors?
    :-P And, if you are posting at additional online sites, I would
    like to follow anything new you have to post.
    Would you list of the complete urls of all your social networking pages
    like your Facebook page, twitter feed, or linkedin profile?

Rachel O. — January 2, 2013 @ 8:11 pm

Thank you for this recipe. I made the salmon tonight and it was amazing.
    Next, I’ll be using the sauce portion for a chicken wing sauce.

cindy — January 29, 2013 @ 8:58 pm

This was fantastic. My kids have always hated salmon and one had three servings and the other had seconds. They had even grabbed a snack before dinner when they heard it was the “hated” salmon. Thank you! I loved it!!!

Sonja — February 2, 2013 @ 9:07 pm

This was wonderful! Thank you for such a simple, delicious recipe! I am not a fish person but I try to eat it every now and then. The sweetness in the dish made it so yummy. :) Definitely a keeper.

1. Pingback: Honey Sesame Ginger Salmon. (GF/DF) | Audrey's Apron