Toasted Sesame Ginger Salmon I howsweeteats.com

Right now, I’m staring blankly at this picture of hairy ginger.

Sort of freaky right?

Toasted Sesame Ginger Salmon I howsweeteats.com

It’s last night.

I’m watching new-school 90210, as opposed to old-school 90210.

I’m realizing that my constant mention of television shows is making it sound like I 1. have no life and 2. am a complete couch potato.

I ate 5-day old soup for dinner followed by copious handfuls of mini chocolate chips.

That soup that was supposed to be my husband’s lunch today.

I strategically have a blanket placed over my head to cover my entire face when that stupid Silent House movie preview comes on during every single commercial break.

Am currently debating on emptying my remaining Kate Spade shopping cart contents… into my virtual bag. Also trying to figure out how I can strategically sleep on my hair-salonified mane while keeping it “country star big” for tomorrow. Which is really today. Which really just consists of cooking four recipes, eating four recipes, exercising and making a general mess of things – all deemed big hair worthy. Realizing that my current headache prooooobably has something to do with my big hair. But at least that headache gave me free reign to hang out and watch one of the greatest movies of all time: Father of the Bride.

My taste is impeccable.

Toasted Sesame Ginger Salmon I howsweeteats.com

And I’m pretty sure that my capability of discussing any and everything BUT toasted sesame ginger salmon, including my current whereabouts and scattered brain, also have to do with this big hair. Because it just doesn’t seem right that you eat salmon with big hair. Right? I feel like I should be eating grits or something. And swallowing my stereotyping.

But… I’m going to break the rules.

It’s no secret that we are huge, huge salmon fans up in this piece. I love salmon every which waytil Sunday (whatever that means) but given my recent fascination with all things toasted and sesame-like, this rocked my tiny flavor bubble. Broiling the fish is my favorite way to prepare it since it develops a somewhat crunchy crust, but you can make this however you choose and have dinner on the table within an hour or less. We ate it with rice one night, had leftovers with pasta the next, and then finally my husband stuffed it between toasted buns for the most perfect sandwich ever. Don’t even say it.

And now I feel compelled to tell you that I haven’t eaten a single vegetable in three whole days. Things are looking up.

Toasted Sesame Ginger Salmon I howsweeteats.com

sesame ginger honey glaze
1/4 cup honey
1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
1 teaspoon soy sauce
1/2 teaspoon freshly grated ginger
1/2 teaspoons toasted sesame seeds

Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and place a wire rack over top. Spray the rack with nonstick spray.

In a large bowl or baking dish, combine olive oil, sesame oil, soy sauce, garlic, ginger, vinegar, brown sugar and whisk well until combined. Add salmon to the dish or place everything in a ziplock bag, then refrigerate and marinate for 30 minutes.

Preheat the broiler in your oven. (Or preheat your grill, etc if you prefer to use something else.)

Remove salmon with kitchen tongs and place directly on the wire rack. Sprinkle with a little bit of salt and pepper, then place directly under the broiler. Cook for 10-12 minutes, depending on the salmon's thickness (our's was just about an inch thick), until opaque and easily flakable with a fork. You can flip the salmon halfway through cooking if desired.

Remove and serve immediately, with a sprinkling of toasted sesame seeds, green onions and the glaze below.

sesame ginger honey glaze
Combine all ingredients in a bowl and whisk until smooth. Pour over salmon.

Toasted Sesame Ginger Salmon I howsweeteats.com

Tomorrow we eat dessert. If that’s okay with you.

318 Responses to “Toasted Sesame Ginger Salmon.”

Debbie Ti — February 12, 2013 @ 5:11 pm

BEST SALMON EVER!!!!! Tired of the same old thing. So i decided to try this. WOW!! unbelievable….so yummy.. My kids went nuts for this..asked if we can have this every week.
    Thank you Thank you Thank you!!!!

Amanda — February 18, 2013 @ 9:21 pm

I found this on pinterest. I decided to try it. The only thing I did different was that I used regular sesame oil, not toasted as that is all I could find. I also used a low “custom” broil and baked it longer and it didn’t get dark on top like the phoio. Other than that… OH MY GOSH!!!! it was soooooo good. I had to buy the honey, sesame seeds, ginger and sesame oil along with fresh salmon which was a bit costly, but VERY VERY worth it and plenty of sesame seeds and oil for next time!

Jennifer — February 20, 2013 @ 6:19 pm

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This is without a doubt THE BEST SALMON I have ever had! Better than any restaurant or celebrity chef recipe! So glad I have Pinterest to connect me to great sites like this one!

Ron — March 20, 2013 @ 1:36 am

I really want to give this a try. Looks fantastic!

Ange — March 20, 2013 @ 9:04 am

I made this last night and it was a huge hit. It isn’t often that my husband compliments dinner 3 times. Thank you for sharing.

Rachel — March 30, 2013 @ 4:42 pm

The best salmon on earth! If you think you don’t like fish or you’re hesitating: don’t. This has become my go to dish to impress.

Janelle — April 9, 2013 @ 2:47 pm

No exaggeration: best salmon ever. So unbelievably delicious!

Marie — April 23, 2013 @ 1:18 pm

Just made this for a quick lunch for my husband and myself…we both loved it! Definitely going to be making this again. This is the most delicious salmon I’ve ever tasted :)

Rana — April 23, 2013 @ 2:26 pm

my kids loved it! great way to get my kids eat salmon…thank you!

nancy — April 25, 2013 @ 10:31 am

Hi! I’m sorry, but I’m an amateur and I’m confused – do you put the fish directly on the oven rack, with no pan or anything (the pan is just below in order to catch anything that drips)?

The salmon literally just sits on the oven wires? Do I buy salmon with skin? I really want to try this, I just want to make sure I understand! Sounds amazing!

• Jessica — April 25th, 2013 @ 10:59 am

no no – you definitely want the salmon on a baking sheet or broiler pan!

and you can get salmon with skin if you want, just broil it skin side down the whole time – the skin will peel off easier when it’s cooked!

• nancy — April 25th, 2013 @ 1:53 pm

Got it- thank you for the quick response! Can’t wait to try it!

Sandy — April 25, 2013 @ 8:36 pm

Hi! I have a super old oven that smokes uncontrollably every time i try to use the broiler. Could I maybe bake this instead? Would the fish come out mostly the same/what adjustments would i need to make? Thanks! Love your blog so much!

• Jessica — April 25th, 2013 @ 9:58 pm

yes you can def bake! i’d probably bake at 400 degrees for maybe 20 mins, but you probably know your oven best for timing!

Ryan — May 6, 2013 @ 4:30 pm

Some hag copied your recipe and didn’t even post an acknowledgement.

• laughinghistarically — August 1st, 2014 @ 4:49 pm

This is probably one of the funniest blog comments I have ever read. On a side note, salmon is sitting in the fridge now and glaze is ready, can’t wait to try this.

financial help — May 22, 2013 @ 7:42 pm

Wow! After all I got a weblog from where I be capable of truly
    obtain valuable facts regarding my study and knowledge.

Nina — June 15, 2013 @ 8:37 pm

I have made your recipe at least 10 times now.It is truly my favorite fish dish! Thank you xo

Mabel — June 15, 2013 @ 10:56 pm

I have a question. I followed all the directions and it tasted delicious, but it didn’t get crispy and dark on top like yours. Any idea how I can get it like that? I feel like the added texture would kick it up a notch. Thanks!

• Kimmie — June 16th, 2013 @ 10:42 pm

Make sure to broil on high and put it in the middle rack. I let it go for 16-17 minutes.

Kimmie — June 16, 2013 @ 10:38 pm

I made this tonight. I think I died. And went to heaven. And yes, hairy ginger is freaky, yet when I look at it, it makes me feel kind of warm inside.

Ann Baker — June 22, 2013 @ 9:28 am

Holy moly this was unbelievably good. I mean stupendous. I mean just…words escape me, which is funny because I am a food blogger and that rarely happens.

Just wanted to let everyone know how fabulous this salmon is. I cherished each and every bite and wish I had made more.

Thank you for bringing this recipe into my life. Sigh….

Melissa Rhamstine — June 26, 2013 @ 6:44 pm

Made this tonight for our anniversary. My husband who LOVES salmon said it was the best salmon he had ever had.

EmC — June 26, 2013 @ 8:08 pm

This may be thee FIRST comment I’ve left on a blog of someone I don’t personally know…but the PURE DELICIOUSNESS of your recipe deserves such praise! Thank you for sharing your incredible creation, Jessica!

Chris — July 6, 2013 @ 6:19 am

please make your recipes printable!!

Sarah — July 15, 2013 @ 8:14 pm

Tried this tonight… it was amazing! I am so glad I found this recipe on Pinterest!

Liz — August 7, 2013 @ 9:35 pm

I happened across this recipe 4 months ago, and it’s completely changed my opinion of salmon! I only broil it on a rack now, regardless of the rest, and my toddler boys absolutely love the honey sesame combination of this recipe; they gobble it down. Thank you so much! My husband thanks you, too, because he was sad that, prior to this recipe, I never cooked salmon.

maple — August 26, 2013 @ 7:41 pm

I just made this tonight. AMAZING! I honestly thought this was going to taste “basic” and it does- in a great way. It’s simple but NOT boring. SO GOOD. I could have had 2 fillets. To quote my mom “It’s company food”. She also enjoyed it a lot!

Caitlin — October 19, 2013 @ 4:18 pm

Curious if miso could be used in the marinade as well? Or would it be to salty?

JEWELS — November 5, 2013 @ 4:48 pm

I am in the process of making this now, can you tell me if the glaze goes on before going in the broiler or after? Thank you, I am so excited to try it tonight.

Sahar — November 17, 2013 @ 2:13 pm

I don’t think I’ve ever left a comment on a blog about a review on a dish, but this dish deserves it and so much more! I’ve made this several times and never grow old of it. I’m almost finished my bottle of rice vinegar and I’ve never used it for anything other than his recipe lol.

Question. How do think it would taste on chicken?

Homemade Food Recipes — December 25, 2013 @ 3:31 am

Thanks for a great recipe today attempt to prepare a toasted sesame ginger salmon for dinner with the family I hope will come out well!

Elizabeth — January 1, 2014 @ 10:20 pm

I just made this and it was a huge success. Many thanks for your delicious recipe!

cara — January 13, 2014 @ 1:24 pm

Yep, it is amazing! The ginger and soy is a great flavour combination. Forewarning…the oil splattered a bit onto the broiler as it got hot which then smoked and set ofd the fire alarm, but other than that, all my coworkers are jealous of the smells coming from my leftovers! And they should be! Thanks for a great recipe!

Mary — February 6, 2014 @ 10:12 pm

this was wonderful, I only wish I had made more so I would have had left overs. Even my picky eater had 2nd helpings.

Helen @ Scrummy Lane — March 6, 2014 @ 1:15 am

I’m very tempted to try this tonight. Yes, going to buy some salmon on the way home from work!

gerrymoth — June 4, 2014 @ 2:36 pm

Best tasting recipe I’ve ever had for salmon. I will cook my salmon with way from now on :-)

gerrymoth — June 4, 2014 @ 2:36 pm

Best tasting recipe I’ve ever had for salmon. I will cook my salmon this way from now on :-)

Sandy — June 9, 2014 @ 7:48 pm

I liked this, although I did not make the glaze. Instead, I took the marinate and cooked it down with a tiny bit of cornstarch and the green onions. I added about a tbsp more soy sauce.

I served the salmon with the sauce on top, and then sprinkled with the toasted sesame seeds. It turned out delicious.

don — August 14, 2014 @ 4:14 pm

Salmons my favorite fish, a mush try for me. Cheers.

lyn — December 27, 2014 @ 11:17 am

My husband does all the cooking due to it being his passion. But I fixed this meal along with cream cheese wontons for his birthday and he along with myself was pleasantly surprised. He said that the salmon was as good if not better than any he has had in restaurants or has made himself. I must agree…not because I made it but because this recipe is simply THE BOMB.
    It is a Must try and I’m sure it will find a place in your recipe files just like it has for us.

Jess` — January 11, 2015 @ 5:14 pm

I made this salmon except that I didn’t have any brown sugar so I just skipped it. The only thing was that I had to broil the salmon for about 18 minutes (it was also about an inch or so thick in the center). My boyfriend has a super old oven from the 80s though so I’m thinking that may have been why it took longer. Either way it came out delicious and it even browned nicely on the top. I didn’t use a glaze or anything I just put the honey right in the marinade. Oh and I marinated it for like 2 hours so maybe thats why it took longer to cook cuz it was more soaked through with the liquid. I’m not a huge salmon fan and I enjoyed this recipe very much. You can add a wasabi mayo/avocado sauce to it also if you want to add some extra spice and dimention just put it on the side in case your guests don’t like wasabi :)

Heather M — January 21, 2015 @ 10:07 pm

We love salmon. This recipe looks delicious. I am adding it to my menu plan.

Lindsay C — January 23, 2015 @ 9:31 pm

This is my new favorite salmon recipe! The glaze and marinade took the flavor up about ten notches! My boyfriend and I devoured it all!

Greg — February 6, 2015 @ 8:57 am

I hate the strong taste of salmon, and never eat it but I constantly read how good it is for you, so I am going to try this recipe. I love Asian flavors, and hope this will be the ticket to enjoying this fish. All these comments are encouraging.

Pam — March 5, 2015 @ 12:44 pm

I am actually having this right now and it is the best salmon recipe I have ever tried. It came out perfect even thought I sub two ingredients. I did not have rice vinegar so I sub for apple cider vinegar instead and I had no toasted sesame oil and really did not want to sub this for any other oil. So I took some sesame seeds, toasted them, add sunflower oil and blended to make sesame oil. It was delicious…best salmon recipe

Mary C — March 9, 2015 @ 4:28 am

Im not a huge fish fan, but recipe is to die for, I made it for Good Friday last year and not only everyone loved it but for this year I already have my kids asking to make it again.

leora — May 28, 2015 @ 1:22 pm

hi – this recipe looks incredible. im finding some of the steps in the directions slightly confusing…do you throw away the marinade after you grill the fish in the broiler? i saw you mentioned 400 degrees for 20 minutes if you plan to bake -which is what i plan on doing – if thats the case, i keep the marinade …correct? can you plz outline steps for baking vs broiling? thanks =)

Chessa — June 17, 2015 @ 5:53 pm

Thank you for sharing this recipe! I made this tonight and it’s TO. DIE. FOR!! I didn’t have any fresh ginger, but used doTerra ginger oil instead and it was fabulous!

Marianne Grobbelaar — August 17, 2015 @ 9:19 pm

Made this tonight! UNBELIEVABLE!!!! Thank you so much!!!

Lee Anne — September 20, 2015 @ 2:00 pm

Do you think the Salmon Glaze would be good on fresh King Mackerel?