1. There is one reason and one reason only I’m excited for Spring around here: massive margaritas.

2. I’ve always moaned about how my husband is so crazy in the head about certain things, like having all the light switches in the EXACT DIRECTION! all the time, but here is something I haven’t told you: he is convinced that he must eat 13 ounces of food for his lunches each day. Apparently, 13 ounces of food keeps him full (for like one hour, until his next gigantically large snack) – no too full so he wants to sleep, but full enough that he can manage for 60 minutes. Doesn’t matter what it is… chicken, mac and cheese, ICE CREAM, a mish mash of leftovers… he’s decided it must be 13 ounces. I harass him incessantly for this.

3. Yes… I know.

4. On Thursday I had a yearly physical and got a routine tetanus shot… then later developed a reaction/horrid fever from said shot WHILE IN HOT YOGA. Okay whatever – I shouldn’t have gone anyway since I couldn’t lift my arm over my head, but uhhh I pay out the rear for it. Let’s just say that was probably one of the worst moments of my life. Once I managed to make it home, I walked in the door and just started hysterically crying… and Mr. How Sweet just stared at me in shock. Probably wondering what he did wrong.

5. Because of that whole debacle I remained flat on my back on the couch alternating between four blankets and half-nakedness for nearly 48 hours only speaking to whisper “…ice cream.” I’ll be okay with never seeing another ice cream sandwich again in my life.

6. Or until, like… Saturday.

7. Though I’ve had a giant lack of appetite, I did manage to eat Mexican food at 10:30PM on Saturday night. Of course.

8. Ummm remember last Fall when I told you Ulta’a 21 days of beauty had kidnapped me? It’s back.

9. I would like a shirley temple please. With a side of snickers cake. thankyouverymuch.

10. Best book you’ve read lately? BESIDES The Hunger Games people. Go!

11. I ask because I’m about to hop on a plane! Which gives me massive anxiety. Pass the booze.

195 Responses to “Tuesday Things.”

Karly — March 13, 2012 @ 6:21 pm

The Book Theif and Water for Elephants are two of my favorite single books. As for series, Outlander is my number 1 all time must read favorite. That series is pretty much longer than an encyclopedia and I reread the whole thing every time a new book comes out.

• raeann — March 13th, 2012 @ 7:08 pm

ditto the book thief. and water for elephants. if you like dexter (i know you do), you might like the books. and, a discovery of witches is really good, if you don’t have a problem with all that super-natural stuff. funny non-fiction: the sex lives of cannibals.

wait, i just read her other suggestion – yes! to outlander. karly, were we switched at birth?! i’m in the middle of dragonfly in amber. please tell me i’m not going to regret anything, and that if i continue, i will get jamie, jamie, and more jamie. seriously? dude replaced edward as my book boyfriend. :)

• Karly — March 13th, 2012 @ 8:20 pm

*sigh* Dragonfly in Amber was my least favorite in the series. I was so confused when the books jumped from one time period (the end of book one) to another (the start of book two) and was entirely sure that I was reading them out of order for most of the second book. That being said, HOLD ON. You’ve got so much Jamie coming. And he just gets better. I’m actually tearing up a little thinking of all the fabulousness you have ahead of you. I’m also hormonal, so don’t mind me.

Jamie has seriously ruined all other book boys for me. He’s my one and only.

• raeann — March 13th, 2012 @ 8:48 pm

oh, goodie!!! i was so nervous i was going to have to deal with frank, because seriously? i glazed over him in the beginning of outlander. then, wondered why it was even part of the book when it ended the way it did. i’m glad i get more jamie. i almost resorted to having a fan by me while reading – they got so steamy sometimes! – i’ll have to power thru DIA now!

• Alyson — March 14th, 2012 @ 12:10 pm

Jamie – sigh…

• Andrea — March 14th, 2012 @ 8:04 am

LOVE the Outlander series, seriously read the first three books in a few weeks!!! Now I have thought about it, I may have to go back and reread it :)

• nikki — March 14th, 2012 @ 9:58 am

I get so bummed when I hear people say they didn’t give Outlander a chance. I am on book #7 An Echo in the Bone and it is sooo good. It took me about 100 pages of Outlander before I was sucked in, but I’m so glad I stuck with it.

• Alyson — March 14th, 2012 @ 12:11 pm

You have to re-read the Outlander books over and over! Every time, you will learn something new, and get something different out of them!

Sarah — March 13, 2012 @ 6:24 pm

YES! Massive margaritas. I am so in.

Sarah — March 13, 2012 @ 6:26 pm

Sweetness, I just added so many books to my queue! I would recommend Cutting for Stone, long/deep but so moving and a great read. I’m reading Major Pettigrew’s Last Stand right now and it’s also very good! I’m so intrigued by the Night Circus now!

• Wendy — March 14th, 2012 @ 12:10 am

I really liked Major Pettigrew’s Last Stand. The Night Circus is absolutely one of my favorite books EVER. Oh, I loved it so so so much!!! Stop everything you’re doing and read it right now :-)

• Christine — March 14th, 2012 @ 9:47 am

Ditto everything Wendy said. I also loved Cutting for Stone. I want to know what else you two love because obviously we have similar tastes! I just finished “3 Weeks in December” and thought it was great too.

• Wendy — March 14th, 2012 @ 12:17 pm

LOL! Look me up on Goodreads.com (Wendy Candelaria) and you can see all the books I’ve read, am reading, and plan to read. :-)

I’ve heard of Cutting for Stone and am adding it to my list now…I can’t wait for my next road trip so I can start it!

Brianna — March 13, 2012 @ 6:27 pm

I put off reading the Hunger Games for a long time…but they really are amazing. I also love The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova and The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield.

Erin — March 13, 2012 @ 6:39 pm

Hahaha the ice cream comment made me laugh out loud. And best books I’ve read recently are the Girl with the dragoon tattoo and the following two in the series. And I am also in the middle of the Outlander series which are big books but keep me coming back for more.

Britta — March 13, 2012 @ 6:40 pm

I looooved The Hangman’s Daughter. It’s sort of a historical novel (set in Germany in the 1600′s) and really leaves you hanging – I couldn’t stop reading it!

Kristen — March 13, 2012 @ 6:43 pm

Don’t Sleep With Your Drummer by Jen Sincero. So hilarious you will pizazzle in your pants.

Mariah — March 13, 2012 @ 6:43 pm

Mexican food is the perfect come-back from being sick. A little queso, a little salsa, BAM! You’re back in action. Best book: Proper Care & Feeding of Husbands

Eireann — March 13, 2012 @ 6:44 pm

I love your Tuesday Things! Well pretty much just your site in general….Anyways, BOOKS! “I Know This Much is True” by Wally Lamb (or pretty much anything by Wally Lamb…), “The Glass Castle,” “God of Animals….” All are amazing :) xo

• Kate — March 13th, 2012 @ 8:24 pm

I Know This Much and Glass Castle are both in my all time top 10 – I guess I should check out God of Animals since we have such similar (great) taste. :)

• Eireann — March 13th, 2012 @ 8:57 pm

Read it! It reminded me of the Glass Castle. It’s by Aryn Kyle!

• Nicole H. — March 14th, 2012 @ 7:32 pm

Eireann – I am a huge Wally Lamb fan as well!! Great books.

• Eireann — March 14th, 2012 @ 7:50 pm

His books are all so great- I wish he wrote more!

Karen — March 13, 2012 @ 6:47 pm

Anything Marian Keyes writes is fantastic! She’s kinda of like an Irish Sophie Kinsella. I really liked Rachel’s Holiday.

• Melissa O — March 14th, 2012 @ 9:58 am

I love Marian Keyes too!!

Victoria @ The Pursuit of Hippieness — March 13, 2012 @ 7:04 pm

Room by Emma Donaghue. Crazy disturbing but SO GOOD.

• Kate — March 13th, 2012 @ 8:18 pm

I agree! I have recommended it to everyone. The most unique voice I’ve ever read. I loved it!!

Stacy'smom3 — March 13, 2012 @ 7:24 pm

The School of Essential Ingredients, Shelter Me, The Kitchen House

Lauren @ Vaguely Vegan — March 13, 2012 @ 7:48 pm

I just finished reading “Fairy Tale Interrupted” by Rosemarie Terenzio. She was JFK Jr’s personal assistant and it’s basically a memoir of her life during the five years leading up to JFK Jr’s death. It was a great quick read, kind of juicy gossipy, kind of depressing and tragic, but still great nonetheless.

Olivia — March 13, 2012 @ 8:31 pm

I’ve been reading “One Thousand Gifts” by Ann Voskamp and it is spectacular. Beautifully written, thought provoking, and full of simple wisdom. I highly recommend it. :)

Ashley — March 13, 2012 @ 8:32 pm

the five people you meet in heaven and tuesdays with morrie are both fabulous! and oh my lanta bakers royale snickers cake makes me want to eat the entire thing in one sitting and become a 400 pound beached whale..

Sarah — March 13, 2012 @ 9:18 pm

I loved “The Paris Wife”. About Ernest Hemingway’s first wife. Makes you want to have a drink :)
    Love your blog -

lydia — March 13, 2012 @ 9:19 pm

Bless you ladies for sending book suggestions! I was just saying last night that I need something new!

For me: Anita Shreve: Fortune’s Rocks and that whole series. Sooo goood.

And yes, margarita. Want one. Or ten. But not on a Tuesday cause I have work tomorrow.

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey — March 13, 2012 @ 9:20 pm

Right now I’m reading A Grown Up Kind of Pretty – it’s fantastic!

Meg — March 13, 2012 @ 9:27 pm

Can you keep a secret by Sophie kinsella. So funny and cute, I’ve read it more than once and still laugh out loud

Jimi — March 13, 2012 @ 9:37 pm

Do you like the Hunger Games trilogy? If so, try the Uglies series by Scott Westerfeld, Divergent by Veronica Roth, Matched and Crossed by Allie Condy (I think that’s her name).

Night Circus was excellent. I just finished The Tiger’s Wife. It was good as well. If you haven’t read The Book Thief, I second all those who recommend that.

I read a little bit of everything…you can see what I’m currently reading at http://www.thetobereadpile.blogspot.com.

I love Tuesday Things…I think it’s my favorite blog post I read each week.

• Jessica — March 13th, 2012 @ 9:51 pm

Thank you!

Randilea @ Life As I Bake It — March 13, 2012 @ 9:44 pm

Okay so I really like crime shows/books and right now my favority books are the Rizzoli and Isles series by Tess Gerritsen. Sooooo good! Ps I love your Tuesday Things :)

Jen @nutcaseinpoint — March 13, 2012 @ 9:53 pm

Massive margaritas= my middle name.

And, omygosh I just had the same experience with a tetanus shot! I tried to teach a Total Body Sculpt class the same day, and. I. Failed. Never again. The end.

Easy, fun read: White Girl Problems by Babe Walker. I laughed, I cried, I….no, I just laughed.

Sarah — March 13, 2012 @ 10:24 pm

You definitely need to read The Blue Bistro by Elin Hilderbrand…One of my favorite books of all time. Food, a love story, and a little bit of mystery. Perfect!

Angela — March 13, 2012 @ 10:30 pm

OutlanderOutlanderOutlanderOutlander!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Alyson — March 14th, 2012 @ 8:13 am

Dana — March 13, 2012 @ 11:28 pm

The Tea Rose series, there’s three, is easily the best thing I’ve ever read and that includes the Hunger Games. :) Or the Tina Fey book Bossypants was really, really funny.

Bianca @ Confessions of a Chocoholic — March 13, 2012 @ 11:32 pm

Last month I read The Night Circus and it was so, so, so awesome!

Carrie @ Kiss My Whisk — March 14, 2012 @ 12:06 am

Once We Were Brothers & Before I Go To Sleep! Both excellent reads!

• Wendy — March 14th, 2012 @ 12:13 am

oooohhhh…. Before I Go To Sleep was so good!! Loved it!

Wendy — March 14, 2012 @ 12:18 am

So many of these book suggestions are amazing; I just don’t know how you’re going to decide on just one. Have you been to Goodreads? If not, you should definitely check it out. So many books, so little time. So my top suggestions are:

Loving Frank, by Nancy Horan
    The Night Circus, by Erin Morgenstern
    My Name is Mary Sutter, by Robin Oliveira
    Good in Bed, by Jennifer Weiner
    The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks, by Rebecca Skloot
    The Girl Who Chased the Moon, by Sarah Allen Addison

Sorry – I was only going to list 3, but I just can’t narrow it down…… These are all my current favorites :-) Have fun!!

Ashley @ Ashley Loves Books — March 14, 2012 @ 3:31 am

It’s still a YA book, but I highly highly recommend Wanderlove by Kirsten Hubbard – it just came out yesterday and is a PHENOMENAL read.

Olivia — March 14, 2012 @ 5:58 am

I just started The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo series…it can be a little graphic at times, but it was so good!

If you want a great love dovey romance novel The Time Traveler’s Wife is one of my favorites:)

Villy @ For the love of Feeding — March 14, 2012 @ 6:33 am

Tetanus shots are horrible.. Best book: The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafon. Hands down. Mystery and romance. Very atmospheric and dark. Really good. :D

• Wendy — March 14th, 2012 @ 12:20 pm

oh yeah….Shadow of the Wind was so beautiful and amazing and wonderful and dreamy and I loved it so much! You should definitely read that one. For sure. Oh! And Angry Housewives Eating Bonbons. Also amazing. But read Shadow of the Wind first.

Susan — March 14, 2012 @ 6:38 am

I recently read The Happiness Project by Gretchen Rubin and really liked it. Made me reflect about my own actions and happiness.

Kelley — March 14, 2012 @ 7:08 am

11-22-63 by Stephen King. Not your typical Stephen King book. It is my most recommended book.

• Meg — March 14th, 2012 @ 4:50 pm

I’m halfway through…having trouble keeping going :) so long!!

Nicole H. — March 14, 2012 @ 7:08 am

Since I know you hold Bella dog so near and dear to your heart… I would suggest “The Art of Racing in the Rain.” Really great book that really tugs at your heart strings. Also, “A Dogs Purpose” was also really really good.

I just got done reading “Sarah’s Key” which was recommended by Maria (TwoPeasandTheirPod) and really liked it.

I just used the word “really”, a ton. …sorry but redundance seems to be my middle name lately.

I share the same anxiety over flying so I hope you did find a great book to help… or at least thoughts of Ryan Gosling to help you through it!

• Kelley — March 14th, 2012 @ 7:12 am

Oh yes, Sarah’s Key and Art of Racing in the Rain are terrific books too!

Cori — March 14, 2012 @ 7:26 am

Ditto to Art of Racing in the Rain and Sarah’s Key. But I also just finished The Kite Runner and A Thousand Splendid Suns, both in like 4 days! They were so good!

• Nicole H. — March 14th, 2012 @ 7:35 pm

Cori – I agree, both “The Kite Runner” and “A Thousand Splendid Suns” were great books!

Liz — March 14, 2012 @ 7:51 am

“Your Heart Belongs to Me” by Dean Koontz. Usually his stuff is too weird for me, but I’m seriously tearing through it. I also want to read “The Art of Racing in the Rain” but I’ve heard if you like dogs, you’ll cry. Crying on a plane might give people a weird idea…like you are chickening out from pushing the detonation button on your shoe bomb or something. Glad you are feeling better!

Alyson — March 14, 2012 @ 8:11 am

The Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon!!! You will definitely become addicted! There are currently 7 books in the series, and she is working on the 8th! They are wonderfully romantic historical fiction stories. There is adventure, romance, mystery, and so much more in these books! There is even food! I promise you will not regret reading them – except that you will lose track of time and forget to do things because you are so engrossed in the books!

• Alyson — March 14th, 2012 @ 8:13 am

Also! Looking at other comments referring to dogs and your love of them, there are some wonderful animals in the Outlander books! ;-)

Andrea — March 14, 2012 @ 8:12 am

I have to agree with everyone about the Outlander series. I also just read Is Everyone Hanging Out With Me by Mindy Kaling. Read it in a half day on vacation, was laughing out loud!!

Aimee Walker — March 14, 2012 @ 8:13 am

Pilate’s Cross and then Pilate’s Key both by J. Alex Greenwood. They are quick and entertaining mysteries. A little love twist thrown in for good measure. They are on any E-reader (Nook, Kindle, etc.)

Alisa Sterner — March 14, 2012 @ 8:33 am

Home Front by Kristin Hannah. ah-mazing. and while you’re at it, read her books Night Road, Winter Garden and Firefly Lane. Also, Nora Roberts’ Garden Trilogy series. :)

Laurie {Simply Scratch} — March 14, 2012 @ 8:38 am

Oh! Um… read Diana Gabaldon’s Outlander series… Seriously it will change your life!! Ps… thanks for the shout-out! :)

AKM — March 14, 2012 @ 8:44 am

Ok, I can’t hop onto the Outlander series, even tho’ it is raved about here and by several good friends…sorry, I won’t be a hater, but it wasn’t for me…Interesting premise, though.

I am hearing lots of raves about 50 Shades of Grey (e-book only, Kindle-type).

Same author as Hunger Games wrote the Gregor the Overlander series (how ironic, Overlander not Outlander!)

Jessica Still — March 14, 2012 @ 8:53 am

I agree w/ The Room & Sarah’s Key, I couldn’t put it down! I’ve never commented but have been reading your blog for months! I don’t cook that much, but just love following you!

Anita — March 14, 2012 @ 8:57 am

Michael Crichton is always nice for a vaca, cause if you finish it and leave it behind, you don’t really care. (Unless it’s Timeline. Or Congo. Those I had to keep.)

And OMG! I had the same dang problem with my tetanus. In fact its been determined that I’m allergic to the shot, cause my HUGE FREAKIN” LUMP on my arm lasted for almost two years.

Sorry. Don’t mean to scare ya.

Kelie — March 14, 2012 @ 9:06 am

The Forgotten Garden by Kate Morton – loved it!!!

Christa — March 14, 2012 @ 9:15 am

11/22/63 is Great!! it’s about a guy trying to stop the Kennedy assassination. it’s pretty lengthy, but it’s a quick read. i couldnt put it down :)

Natalie — March 14, 2012 @ 9:18 am

The last two books that I’ve read have fallen into the “can’t put down” category. A Grown-Up Kind of Pretty by Joshilyn Jackson and Lone Wolf by Jodi Picoult. Pretty much anything by these two authors is a must read!

Natalie — March 14, 2012 @ 9:19 am

Just saw the post above about Winter Garden. YES YES YES!!!

April — March 14, 2012 @ 9:19 am

I absolutely LOVE your “Tuesday Things”! Look forward to reading your post every time. :)

Emilie @ Emilie's Enjoyables — March 14, 2012 @ 9:27 am

Hopefully you’re going somewhere fun! I can tell you one book not to read…The Night Circus. It was totally weird and wayyyy to descriptive.