1. There is one reason and one reason only I’m excited for Spring around here: massive margaritas.

2. I’ve always moaned about how my husband is so crazy in the head about certain things, like having all the light switches in the EXACT DIRECTION! all the time, but here is something I haven’t told you: he is convinced that he must eat 13 ounces of food for his lunches each day. Apparently, 13 ounces of food keeps him full (for like one hour, until his next gigantically large snack) – no too full so he wants to sleep, but full enough that he can manage for 60 minutes. Doesn’t matter what it is… chicken, mac and cheese, ICE CREAM, a mish mash of leftovers… he’s decided it must be 13 ounces. I harass him incessantly for this.

3. Yes… I know.

4. On Thursday I had a yearly physical and got a routine tetanus shot… then later developed a reaction/horrid fever from said shot WHILE IN HOT YOGA. Okay whatever – I shouldn’t have gone anyway since I couldn’t lift my arm over my head, but uhhh I pay out the rear for it. Let’s just say that was probably one of the worst moments of my life. Once I managed to make it home, I walked in the door and just started hysterically crying… and Mr. How Sweet just stared at me in shock. Probably wondering what he did wrong.

5. Because of that whole debacle I remained flat on my back on the couch alternating between four blankets and half-nakedness for nearly 48 hours only speaking to whisper “…ice cream.” I’ll be okay with never seeing another ice cream sandwich again in my life.

6. Or until, like… Saturday.

7. Though I’ve had a giant lack of appetite, I did manage to eat Mexican food at 10:30PM on Saturday night. Of course.

8. Ummm remember last Fall when I told you Ulta’a 21 days of beauty had kidnapped me? It’s back.

9. I would like a shirley temple please. With a side of snickers cake. thankyouverymuch.

10. Best book you’ve read lately? BESIDES The Hunger Games people. Go!

11. I ask because I’m about to hop on a plane! Which gives me massive anxiety. Pass the booze.

195 Responses to “Tuesday Things.”

Janelle — March 14, 2012 @ 9:32 am

Please tell me you’ve read the Stephanie Plum series by Janet Evanovich already?? It’s like you and Stephanie are sisters. You could totally play her in the movie (for the first book, One for the Money) instead of Katherine Heigl. And you’d do a better job!

They’re quick, fun books and I just think you’d get a kick out of ‘em if you haven’t read them already.

Jen — March 14, 2012 @ 9:33 am

Must read Fifty Shades of Grey, you will not sleep until you have read all 3 books! I am half way through Fifty Shades Darker. I am currently looking for my very own Christian Grey.

Alyssa Breese — March 14, 2012 @ 9:42 am

I just read “Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me?” by Mindy Kaling from The Office. Super funny and a quick read! Also just started “The Help”. I know, kind of late on that band wagon.

Diane cooper — March 14, 2012 @ 9:43 am

The Descendants is excellent- in a depressing sort of way. Secret daughter is excellent too- also depressing though- balled on the beach in Mexico reading it last year! I am not sure I could recommend a happy read actually!!
    Enjoy wherever you are going!!
    Diane

Linda B — March 14, 2012 @ 9:47 am

I have torn through The Girl Who… series by Stieg Larsson and LOVED them. I started #3 last night and did not want to put it down to go to sleep.
    There are a few books that have consumed me…Gone With the Wind, The Stand by Stephen King…and this series. The first one is a bit ponderous at first, but so worth sticking it out.

Maja — March 14, 2012 @ 10:01 am

“The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society” – the best book (with the most adorable title) I read last year (have re-read it thrice already!).

• Ace — March 14th, 2012 @ 2:42 pm

I love that book! Also, ‘One Day” is really good (I know they made a movie, but the book is really really wonderful) and I’m just finishing “Ten Thousand Saints” about a straight edge kid in NY in the late ’80s that is truly fascinating. Bit of a train wreck, but really really good.

Shannon — March 14, 2012 @ 10:08 am

I know you are not a Nora Roberts fan, but The Bride Quartet are wonderful, Chasing Fire and The Search are good, my opinion!
    I’m currently reading The Art of Racing in the Rain, mentioned above several times. Sorta sad, but has GREAT life messages!!!

Samantha — March 14, 2012 @ 10:21 am

Books to read:
    Friday Night Knitting Club (way better than the title makes it sound)
    the Truth about Forever
    Someone Like You
    The Five People You Meet In Heaven
    For One More Day
    Have a Little Faith
    Nineteen Minutes (will make you cry….maybe)
    Girl’s Poker Night
    Ask Again Later
    Sloppy First, Second Helpings, Charmed Thirds
    It’s Called a Breakup because it’s Broken
    The Perks of Being a Wallflower
    Anything by Emily Griffin (seriously, you MUST read her books, they’re GREAT!!!)
    Thirteen reasons why

that list should definitely keep you busy and feeling all kinds of emotions.

Sarah — March 14, 2012 @ 10:22 am

Seriously the best book I have read in awhile: The Omnivore’s Dilemma. Not an entirely light read, but really interesting standpoint on food. :-)

DessertForTwo — March 14, 2012 @ 10:24 am

Oh my gosh! I didn’t know you could have a reaction to a tetnus shot! You poor thing! :(

Glad you’re feeling better!

Amanda Webb — March 14, 2012 @ 10:49 am

Best Book: 50 Shades of Grey….. Amazing page turner and i think Mr. How Sweet will enjoy it too ;)

Donna — March 14, 2012 @ 10:56 am

Some awesome books I love:
    Bel Canto, Ann Patchett
    A Corpse in the Koryo, James Church
    The Gifts of the Jews, Thomas Cahill
    The Historian, Elizabeth Kostova
    In the Woods, Tana French
    Neverwhere, Neil Gaiman

I could go on but there’s a few to choose from. Glad you’re feeling better, didn’t know you could get a reaction from a tetanus shot!

• Sarah — March 14th, 2012 @ 11:12 am

I love Neil Gaiman! Neverwhere is one of my all time faves.
      I could have gone without reading In the Woods, however.

Rachel @ The Avid Appetite — March 14, 2012 @ 11:08 am

I just started Delirium by Lauren Oliver. Another young adult, dystopian series…it’s great so far!

Sarah — March 14, 2012 @ 11:10 am

I read the Fever series just over a year ago and flew through the books – simple but they suck you in! First one in the series is Dark Fever.

Kimberlee — March 14, 2012 @ 11:11 am

I just finished “The Snow Child” by Eowyn Ivey, so good. Safe travels!

Carrie @ CarrieAndJonathan.com — March 14, 2012 @ 11:40 am

I read “Room” by: Emma Donoghu and really enjoyed that. I also liked “Sarah’s Key” by: Tatiana de Rossnaay. And, if you haven’t read it yet, “The Book Thief” by Markus Zusak is one of my all-time favorites.

robin — March 14, 2012 @ 11:43 am

The passage by Justin Cronin. Similar to The Stand, but has vampires that turned that way because of a virus the government created. They are not the vampires that you would fall in love with though. Really good book and I’m anxious for the second one to cone out in October.

kristen b — March 14, 2012 @ 11:49 am

I loved the Kitchen House, Secret Daughter, The Help and am currently reading Fifty Shades of Grey.

Tina B — March 14, 2012 @ 12:24 pm

Please, please, please read The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern. Its wonderful, and mysterious, and forbidden romance, and the circus, and she describes food with such detail you get massive cravings for make-believe foods.

• Jill T — March 15th, 2012 @ 1:19 am

Yes, what a great surprise! Not even sure how I found it but I really loved “The Night Circus” and it’s magical feel.

Miq — March 14, 2012 @ 12:26 pm

Life on the Line by Grant Achatz is a great, true and inspiring story. Also, check out the Hundred Foot Journey by Richard Morais, because it is delicious. And Emily Giffin’s books are great airplane reads.

• lydia — March 15th, 2012 @ 9:22 pm

Loooved Life on the Line. He is such a gem!

Alyson — March 14, 2012 @ 12:31 pm

I decided to make a list of the books suggested, because they all look so interesting, even though my posts look like I only read Outlander books. LOL! I hope the list isn’t too long to put here, but since I consolidated it, I thought I’d share it. I think I got most of them…there are A LOT!!!
    The Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon!!!
    The Night Circus
    Fifty Shades of Grey
    The Help
    Room
    Girl in Translation
    The Violets of March by Sarah Jio
    The Baker’s Daughter
    Graceling and Fire by Kristin Cashore
    The Elegance of the Hedgehog
    1Q84
    Rules of Civility by Amor Towles
    Cutting for Stone
    The Lucky One by Nicholas Sparks
    Tana French’s In the Woods, The Likeness and Faithful Place.
    Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of her Own Making.
    The Weird Sisters,
    Sarah’s Key
    Art of Racing in the Rain
    The Kite Runner
    A Thousand Splendid Suns
    Your Heart Belongs to Me by Dean Koontz
    Is Everyone Hanging Out With Me by Mindy Kaling
    The Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon!!!
    Pilate’s Cross and then Pilate’s Key both by J. Alex Greenwood
    Home Front, Night Road, Winter Garden and Firefly Lane by Kristin Hannah
    Nora Roberts’ Garden Trilogy series
    The Forgotten Garden by Kate Morton
    A Grown-Up Kind of Pretty by Joshilyn Jackson
    Lone Wolf by Jodi Picoult

• Jenna — March 15th, 2012 @ 2:14 pm

Thank you for this. It is my new book list for the library.

Peg — March 14, 2012 @ 12:52 pm

I gave “The Art of Racing in the Rain” to everyone in my family last Christmas. Even though it is considered a “young adult” book, it is so awesome. You’ll never look at a dog the same way, and there are many “human” lessons to be learned.

Rachel C — March 14, 2012 @ 1:03 pm

Read: “Two Kisses For Maddy”, by Matthew Logelin

Megs — March 14, 2012 @ 1:37 pm

If you enjoy non-fiction (my friend says non-fiction is boring and allows for no embellishment of her imagination)……

Born To Run by Christopher McDougall
    Unbroken by Laura Hildebrand

Stephanie — March 14, 2012 @ 1:37 pm

The Night Circus is a must read. It will suck you in. It is whimsical and magical, with great imagery. You want to be there, be part of the magic, and it leaves you wishing that a place like that really existed. Another great read is the Game of Thrones series. Showtime has made them into a series. They are pretty fabulous!

Lindsay — March 14, 2012 @ 2:17 pm

The Midwife’s Confession by Diane Chamberlain is incredible! I finished it in less than 2 days… I just couldn’t put it down :)

Noemi — March 14, 2012 @ 3:04 pm

Steve Job’s Biography is fantastic and inspiring. Also? Fighting for your Marriage. I thought a little non-fiction would spice up the suggestions!

Danielle — March 14, 2012 @ 4:37 pm

I work at Ulta… the deals are so good they don’t let us buy them :o( Enjoy the 21 days :o)

Jill — March 14, 2012 @ 5:26 pm

hahahah! i love love LOVE number one. massive margaritas . . . mmmmm! and bummer about the tetanus shot . . . not fun! big sympathetic hugs to you! and since you asked about books my brain immediately went blank. even though i’m always reading. whatever. anyway, love your blog. (might as well throw that in there too since i rarely comment . . . sorry! but i do read it every day!) keep up the fabulousness!

Jordana — March 14, 2012 @ 8:15 pm

But … Hunger Games IS the best thing I’ve read lately!!! *whines and sniffles*
    Seriously though .. Jodi Picoult. And I mentioned this before on one of your posts a few weeks ago but you may have missed it in all the other comments but you MUST read Emily Giffin

Jill M — March 14, 2012 @ 10:10 pm

The Wedding by Nicholas Sparks , loved it!

• Sarah W. — March 15th, 2012 @ 7:19 am

YES! I thought it was better than The Notenook.

• Jill M — March 15th, 2012 @ 10:27 pm

Sarah, I agree!

jennifer — March 14, 2012 @ 11:06 pm

best book i’ve recently read:
    “gods in alabama” by joshilyn jackson

i COULD.NOT.PUT.IT.DOWN. and was completely surprised by the ending. that hasn’t happened in a long time. get it! read it!

Jess S — March 14, 2012 @ 11:48 pm

Delirium and then Pandemonium by Lauren Oliver. SO so good!

caroleena — March 15, 2012 @ 1:18 am

Ugh. I’m due for a tetanus soon :( You have my sympathy. But yay for margaritas!
    Right now, I’m reading “Mansfield Park” by Jane Austen. Loving it! I hadn’t read it before. There are LOTS of fun Young Adult books out there worth looking at:
    “Drums, Girls and Dangerous Pie” by Jordan Sonnenblick (sweet and touching)
    “Sleeping Freshmen Never Lie” by David Lubar (literally – laugh out loud)

…and thanks, Alyson, for the book list! I just finished my first Nicholas Sparks book & quite enjoyed it.

Also very good was “Immanuel’s Veins” by Ted Dekker

Jordana — March 15, 2012 @ 8:44 am

Oh another good author, Jennifer Cruisie. ANYTHING by her is a great read you can’t go wrong, but my fav is Strange Bedpersons. Hilarious

Christine — March 15, 2012 @ 11:54 am

Don’t forget “Same Kind of Different As Me” SO GOOD!!

Brindi — March 15, 2012 @ 12:18 pm

Outlander by Diana Gabaldon. (It’s an 8-book series, and the first movie is set to come out next year. I’m getting ready to start book 3. addicted!)

Brenda — March 15, 2012 @ 11:06 pm

Elizabeth Berg’s books are really good (especially the “Durable Goods”/”Joy School” series). “The Kite Runner,” “My Sister’s Keeper,” “Nineteen Minutes,” “Midwives,” “Water for Elephants,” “The Center of Everything,” and “Rebecca” are some of my favorite books. I’m reading “Behind the Beautiful Forevers” right now and I’m enjoying it. Can’t wait to try the Shades of Grey books so many people have written about! I also just read the book the movie “The Vow” was based on and it was interesting to hear the story behind the movie.

ensign_beedrill — March 16, 2012 @ 2:43 pm

Best book you’ve read lately? BESIDES The Hunger Games people. Go!

Easily Les Misérables. Soooo good.

Lyndsee — March 16, 2012 @ 3:28 pm

I would agree with the janet evanovoch books. and don’t judget them by the movie. I haven’t seen it, but I doubt it’s as good.

Heidi — March 17, 2012 @ 9:25 pm

So many books so little time!!
    Personally I love cozy mysteries but I intersperse them with others.
    My recent favs are The Paris Wife and The Girl Who… series. Along
    with the Hunger Game books these are my top favs!!!!
    Happy Reading!!

kelly — March 18, 2012 @ 9:25 am

I loved “Night Circus” Such a great read, one that I want to re-read again and again!

elaine — March 18, 2012 @ 12:10 pm

i like my light switches all in the same direction too!! i do lots of odd OCD like things, but i’m okay if my dining table is messy with mail and crap, but if the squares on the comforter aren’t facing the right way, OH NO!
    i’ve never heard of ulta’s 21 days of beauty, but now i hate your for posting that.
    best book: um i haven’t read a full book since the harry potters. oops.

idiosyncratic eye — March 18, 2012 @ 4:34 pm

No, I’m totally with you on that one, Mexican food can be eaten at any time of day … or night. Mmm. :)

Julianne — March 19, 2012 @ 12:26 pm

I will second the suggestion for Nora Roberts’ Garden Trilogy. It’s predictable in it’s plot-line, but warms the heart.

Love your blog, I’m really excited to have this list of recommended books too.

Cassie — March 21, 2012 @ 2:55 pm

You have to read the books by Sarah Allen Addison… “The Sugar Queen” “Garden Spells” “The Girl that Chased the Moon.” They are all absolutely fantastic… involve a love story, a little mystery, a little magic (but not in the Harry Potter way). Besides, the Sugar Queen is all about this girl that stuffs her face with candy and Garden Spells involves cooking. You will love them!!! :)

Lori Lamb — March 21, 2012 @ 7:41 pm

I know I’m late to the party and travel has already happened, but if you liked The Hunger Games, I strongly suggest you read Divergent by Veronica Roth. It’s the first of a trilogy, with the second book, Insurgent, coming out on May 1. I’ve already preordered my copy, even though I get the lion’s share of my books from the library. I couldn’t put down the first book, and I do *not* want to wait for it from the library!