1. A few years ago I became infatuated with eating eggs (specifically fried) and baked beans… together. I’m firmly back on that gravy train and it’s so, so good.

2. I only have a bunch of baked beans because Sunday night we ate a huge feast of crockpot beer pulled pork, cornbread and cinnamon brown sugar butter, mashed sweet + yukon gold potatoes, roasted green bean fries and yep… baked beans. It was lovely. And pants popping.

3. And speaking of gravy, have you ever had it with french fries? My mom used to claim this was a delicacy of her’s while in college. It is pretty freaking terrific.

4. Current favorite blog? Tell me below. I met Krissy while in Orlando last weekend and love her to pieces.

5. Do you have ANY idea how many current actors/actresses had little bits and pieces parts on old school 90210? Like the chief from Grey’s Anatomy. And he wears this little beach patrol outfit thing. Weird.

5.5 Raise your hand if you are so completely sick of me mentioning 90210 in like, every blog post. Both of mine are up.

6. Since I don’t do crafts and am not very creative on the cookie/cake front, I rarely do holiday-themed treats for parties and family get-togethers. Last year I tried to make these brownie pops for Easter which were tasty but somewhat of a fail and required waaaay too much patience on my part. So this year I’m going to make these adorable little macaroon nests and be domestically festive.

7. My first true cuisine love is Mexican, but it really shares my heart with Thai. Least favorite is Italian. What’s yours?

8. Why yes, my husband IS wearing an Under Armor hunting shirt in that picture. Not because he hunts, but because he thinks it’s cool and makes him more manly. P.S. -> it doesn’t.

9. Can I interest you in some oreo cookie spread, chocolate chip cookie dough devil’s food cheesecake or red velvet pull apart bread? I thought so. Let’s have a partay.

10. While my husband was away last week, he called me super early (like 8PM) to say he was going to bed. Three hours later he calls me while I’m reading, drunk to the high heavens, telling me he just fulfilled one of his life goals by meeting Rodney Atkins in a bar. When I asked who that was, he said “you know! the country guy that was in the news a few months ago for beating his wife.” Oh. Okay.

11. He also ate froyo at 8AM for breakfast on Friday. Maybe I’m rubbing off on him.

128 Responses to “Tuesday Things.”

Jen — March 27, 2012 @ 4:13 pm

I love your Tuesday Things! This is seriously the blogpost I look forward to reading the most every week. And I love your pop culture references – keep those 90210 comments coming :) They make me feel like a teenager again. And my husband would have been so ecstatic to meet Rodney Atkins. He’s like his hero, minus the whole wife beating fiasco.

• Jen — March 27th, 2012 @ 4:14 pm

Oh – and one more thing. Where is that Thai food from? You are a Pittsburgher like me so I’m guessing this might be local and I want some!!!!

• Jessica — March 27th, 2012 @ 4:16 pm

Thanks so much! And this Thai is from Green Mango but Thai Place (in Shadyside) is actually our favorite.

tina @ mylifeasamrs — March 27, 2012 @ 4:15 pm

Favorite cuisine is Mexican… hands down! Love me a margarita, chips and salsa! ;)

Thai is up there on my list too, though!!! Good taste!! :)

Brindi — March 27, 2012 @ 4:16 pm

My new favorite blog is My New Roots. LOVE.

Lauren — March 27, 2012 @ 4:17 pm

Fries, gravy and cheese curds are where it’s at! Us Canadians call that poutine! SO good.

• Nicole — March 27th, 2012 @ 4:26 pm

She tells the truth. But get it in Quebec… that is where it is the best!

• Krystal — March 27th, 2012 @ 4:36 pm

Agreed! I’m from Ontario and our poutines are pretty freaking fantastic, but nothing beats Quebec poutine :D

• Mari — March 27th, 2012 @ 5:27 pm

I must concur with this as well. Poutine Rocks. Glad to be Canadian!

• Karen — March 27th, 2012 @ 6:02 pm

Ah yes, the beloved POUTINE!! The only thing better than fries and gravy is fries, gravy, AND cheese! I really want one now! I’ve had chicken poutine here on Canada’s East Coast which is pretty fantastic too!

Milisa @ Miss in the Kitchen — March 27, 2012 @ 4:19 pm

You are cracking me up! I have to admit to liking Rodney Atkins a little less after hearing about his wife beating episode.

Mr. How Sweet — March 27, 2012 @ 4:23 pm

I miss the old days when my country singers only liked to smoke a little reefer *cough* *cough* *willie nelson* *cough* *charlie daniels* *cough*

Not to name names.

• Mr. How Sweet — March 27th, 2012 @ 4:23 pm

Do the kids still call it “reefer?”

• Mr. How Sweet — March 27th, 2012 @ 4:24 pm

What has 2 thumbs and is going to be made fun of tonight for being old for using the term “reefer?”

This guy.

Megan — March 27, 2012 @ 4:23 pm

I hate Italian and Chinese!

Love me some Mexican, Thai, Japanese and nothing beats American picnic fair!

Kristen @ notsodomesticated — March 27, 2012 @ 4:23 pm

Haha I’d love to know what your husband says when you write this stuff. ;) Do you let him read it first? Too funny!

• Jessica — March 27th, 2012 @ 4:26 pm

Hahaha no, he never reads anything I write until after it’s posted. But he’s already commented on this post 3 times.

Julie — March 27, 2012 @ 4:24 pm

I love Mexican food…. we eat at the same place every Monday night.

j3nn — March 27, 2012 @ 4:25 pm

I love baked beans! I have them on my menu in the upcoming days.

And yeah, fries with gravy + cheese are all the rage at diners here in NY! I haven’t had it in yearsssssss though. It was mainly a teenage indulgence. I need to revisit it.

Carolyn — March 27, 2012 @ 4:26 pm
    Alison — March 27, 2012 @ 4:28 pm

Vietnamese is the best, Thai is a close second. I don’t really do tomatoes so Italian is my least favorite too.

brandi — March 27, 2012 @ 4:28 pm

omg, i think i need to meet mr. how sweet after reading his comments.

and yes to: mexican, thai, eggs + baked beans, but i’m not with you on the 90210. i wasn’t allowed to watch, so all of my references from that time are usually dawson’s creek and saved by the bell.

• Jessica — March 27th, 2012 @ 4:30 pm

I wasn’t either! I was a rebel and snuck it.

• brandi — March 27th, 2012 @ 4:31 pm

i tried, believe me. my mom was too good in those years. but i did manage to watch austin powers (also not allowed) AND sneak the simpsons…sometimes.

Cassie — March 27, 2012 @ 4:31 pm

You seriously make me laugh. And french fries with gravy is a must. Especially suzie-q’s with gravy. It was definitely a college thing for me too.

Tara @ Chip Chip Hooray — March 27, 2012 @ 4:35 pm

Gravy fries. YES. Affectionately, disco fries. They are so, so good and I will only eat them from the greasy takeout place on my alma mater’s campus. This totally made my Tuesday.

Kelly — March 27, 2012 @ 4:35 pm

Your Tuesday things always pop up during my kids’ piano lessons on Tuesday’s, and I’m pretty sure their teacher wonders why I am always looking at my iPhone and giggling instead of paying attention to their lesson like a good mother would. LOVE any mention of old school 90210 and totally forgot the chief was Brandon’s boss at the beach club! A plate of pad Thai and a 90210 marathon sounds like a dream to me. Maybe with you crack brownies for dessert.

Jessica L. — March 27, 2012 @ 4:35 pm

This makes me crave Thai! I’ve only had it a couple of times, but it’s becoming one of my faves. And that picture looks so yum. And the things you post about your husband…hilarious!

Sarah — March 27, 2012 @ 4:37 pm

After living in Thailand for a year and eating Thai food every day, every meal..I’m still obsessed and still convinvced it’s the best, even though I did miss cheese – so now I live it up with all the Tex-Mex places in Dallas.
    I’m also a huge fan of Tuesday Things, always makes me laugh out loud in my cube

Danielle — March 27, 2012 @ 4:37 pm

I love your sense of humor! Your lists always make me laugh. And make me hungry. I’m always hungry. I want that plate of Thai food. Now!

Aren’t fries with gravy Poutin? Or however you spell it?

I’m a huge fan of the new 90210. Lame, I know. I’m only 34. I have to learn my fashion from somewhere. For instance, did you know crop tops were back in style? What would you do without me?!

• Jen — March 27th, 2012 @ 4:40 pm

I only learned that crop tops were back in style because my 11-year-old daughter wanted one. I must be SUPER lame. Maybe I need to start watching the new 902010, too… :)

• Danielle — March 27th, 2012 @ 4:42 pm

As my husband says, the only people who wear crop tops are the ones who shouldn’t. Except your daughter, of course!

• Jen — March 27th, 2012 @ 4:48 pm

Agreed! :)

Melanie — March 27, 2012 @ 4:41 pm

ummm, you had me at red velvet pull-apart bread. I love Tuesdays.

I have an issue with you. We are soul mates. I know we are. BUT (that’s a big but)… you have failed to mention the Hunger Games, like, ever. I may need some space. We may need a break.

P.S. I laughed so hard at #8. Welcome to my life.

Abby Flynt — March 27, 2012 @ 4:43 pm

Where is your thai from? It looks great!

Sam — March 27, 2012 @ 4:44 pm

Your Tuesday Things always makes me smile. I look forward to them every week. Love them!! My new blog I am in love with is Poor Girl Eats Well. http://www.poorgirleatswell.com CHECK IT OUT!!! I highly recommend the “roasted sweet potato pizza with spinach and caramelized onions.”

Casey — March 27, 2012 @ 4:44 pm

Yes. Fries and gravy. Hands down favorite food. But specifically Canadian french fries and gravy. AKA “poutine” though it doesn’t even need the cheese. Trust me, there’s a difference between Canadian fries and American fries. I used to get them in Windsor, Ontario at New York Fries (which, ironically, there is not a New York Fries in the U.S.). I would drive the 7 hours from here just to eat those fries. Totally worth it. Do I sound obsessed?

Alison — March 27, 2012 @ 4:45 pm

I saw the Oreo spread pin earlier today through you….all I can say: Thank. You.

And for the record, if I had realized you were in Pittsburgh when I was there in Feb, I would have wanted to hang out and watch 90210. That would have been SOOOO much better than working.

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey — March 27, 2012 @ 4:47 pm

Favorite food = mexican – all the way.

Amber @ Caleigh's Kiechen — March 27, 2012 @ 4:47 pm

I looove eggs and beans. Being from around San Antonio, one of my fav breakfast tacos are bean egg and cheese…I started making them again recently. I am obsessed again!

Katrina — March 27, 2012 @ 4:49 pm

Gravy on fries is a canadian tradition! We make it a poutine though usually. Also, I’ve just started rewatching 90210 on netflix and am completely immersed! How Netflix only $8 a month?!

Shereen — March 27, 2012 @ 4:49 pm

Wait a second. Is the fry/gravy combo not a big thing in the States? It seems so natural to me that I was amazed that you seem to have just discovered it. Is it maybe a Canadian thing? Obviously poutine is Canadian but I thought fries and gravy was standard everywhere. MY MIND IS BLOWN! I think our new slogan should be: Come to Canada. We have gravy.

• Jessica — March 27th, 2012 @ 5:01 pm

Oh no, I didn’t just discover it but for some reason it popped into my head today. My mom used to make it a lot for us when I was little, but from the comments on this post I don’t think it is as big here as it is in Canada!

Katrina — March 27, 2012 @ 4:50 pm

Don’t mind my caveman talk above…I hate when I get excited and type funny.

Esther — March 27, 2012 @ 4:51 pm

#2 made me dizzy/delirious. WHAT.

Erica-@ELFergieFerg — March 27, 2012 @ 4:53 pm

Point three- in Canada we have something called poutine. French fries with cheese curds (not like cottage cheese at all) all covered in gravy. The Gravy melts the cheese and it’s amazing. Life changing even!!

Katie — March 27, 2012 @ 4:54 pm

My MIL just bought Adrienne like 300 Under Armor outfits…not hunting ones, but when I tell Meeker about Mr. How Sweet’s shirt, he’ll probably go buy one for himself and for Adrienne.

I also love Thai with all my heart. Let’s get together and it some together, mmmkay?

• Jessica — March 27th, 2012 @ 5:02 pm

My godson who is 3 had on a little under armor outfit on Friday and I was dyyyying. So cute.

Rachel — March 27, 2012 @ 5:03 pm

Mexican, all the way. I could eat Mexican food 5 out of 6 days a week. But I do love pasta and Italian food, too. And Indian.

I used to think Thai food was disgusting. I thought it smelled like feet and tasted weird. Then, one day I went to a little shack of a Thai restaurant and had curry noodles that changed my life. Now I make curry all the time and sometimes even choose Thai over Mexican.

• danguole — March 27th, 2012 @ 7:10 pm

Fish sauce smells like death, so that makes sense. I’m astounded by how something like that could make food taste sooooo good. Thai, Mexican, Italian and Indian share my heart.

christina @ ovenadventures — March 27, 2012 @ 5:09 pm

gravy and fries is totally normal up here along with mayo and fries. oh and that pad thai looks so good. i am totally craving it now. mmmmmm.

The chief was the manager at the beach club right? that’s hilarious. i just saw an episode of Dawson’s Creek with Seth Rogen. Such a small movie/tv world.

Nancy B. — March 27, 2012 @ 5:20 pm

I’ve been eating fries and gravy since I was a kid; they will change your life. And as far as Mexican goes? Well let’s just say I could eat it every.single.day. My favorite Mexican joint in Pittsburgh is Emiliano’s. Their location on McKnight Rd is the best one. Get the charros (refried beans with bacon)! You will die. Happy Tuesday!

Jess — March 27, 2012 @ 5:22 pm

Mexican is also my favorite food!! Sushi is my least favorite (texture thing) and my favorite new blog is blueeyedbakers.com (although you are still my fav….)

Stephanie @ Eat. Drink. Love. — March 27, 2012 @ 5:40 pm

I LOVE Mexican too. I could eat it like every day. But, I am Italian so I love Italian too!

And I want some of that red velvet pull apart bread nowwwww!!

Shannon D — March 27, 2012 @ 5:56 pm

THIS IS MY CURRENT FAVORITE BLOG!

I don’t discriminate when it comes to food. I love Italian when someone else makes it, Mexican any time because it’s so easy and just ate something called “Evil Jungle Noodles” at a Thai place over the weekend. It was delicious.

Thank you for the Tuesday Things postings – they make my work week a little easier to handle :o)

Rebecca — March 27, 2012 @ 5:58 pm

I loooove Mexican and Italian. Thai food, I dunno, I like the spicy flavors but the textures aren’t my favorite. I’ve recently become obsessed with Indian food, too. Curry chicken = heaven.

I host a coffeehouse on Thursday nights, and they sell cake pops there. Every week I think “these little guys look so cute, but they’re so freaking expensive” because they’re so hard to make!! If I want cake, I make cake. I’d want to eat like six cake pops at a time, anyways.

Stephanie — March 27, 2012 @ 5:59 pm

I look forward to your Tuesday things every week, love Thai food and red velvet pull apart bread sounds fantastic!!

Jenn @ Icing on the Cake — March 27, 2012 @ 6:00 pm

My favorite food is Mexican, so delicious. And fave blog at the moment? SprinkleBakes. She continues to blow my mind with her amazing food creations. I am totally making the chocolate chip cookie dough devil’s food cake cheesecake this weekend. I have to memorize the name though so I can tell people what it is when they ask! ;)

rose — March 27, 2012 @ 6:00 pm

Fries and gravy is amazing… very common up here in Canada, clearly!! YUM. I love thai food but my man doesn’t so it doesn’t happen too often.. luckily he is down with sushi.. japanese might be my fav!and/or seafood.. if that even counts as a cuisine?!? about old school people from the 90′s…I just recently found out that DJ’s bf Steve (Full House) is the voice of Aladdin!!! this blew my mind a bit lol

Smylee — March 27, 2012 @ 6:09 pm

I LOVE Italian…I could live off of it. Oh, and that Oreo Spread? I saw that too and almost died. It hasn’t happened here yet, but when it does…hooo boy.

Em (Wine and Butter) — March 27, 2012 @ 6:19 pm

So my favourites are definitely also Thai and Mexican!
    On the really off chance that you haven’t, you have to try beef massaman (peanutty!!!) and Tom Kha Gai. If you’re anything like me, its really hard not to order Pad Thai, but it’s worth the branch out sometimes :).
    Enchiladas Verde with Tom Kha Gai on the side could totally make it as a last meal of mine – along with eggs benedict because I also love French style breakfast foods, except that’s probs not technically a cuisine….

Averie @ Averie Cooks — March 27, 2012 @ 6:32 pm

When I saw Karly’s Oreo spread I was in heaven, too. And Krissy…can you believe she lives in San Diego but we haven’t met?! We just joined a cooking group together though so I know I will get a chance, soon.

Megan — March 27, 2012 @ 6:49 pm

I made the macaroon nests and they are divine!!! Beyond tastylicious…I can’t believe it never occurred to me that one could actually make a macaroon…duh! Best of luck in your domestic goddessness!

Courtney — March 27, 2012 @ 6:52 pm

My top three favorite blogs are: 1) yours. 2) http://www.fairytalesaretrue.com and 3) http://www.cupcakesandcashmere.com

Is chocolate a cuisine? I tried Thai food just a little over a year ago and love it. I crave it once a week. We’ve been meaning to try Thai Place in Shadyside but continuously go to Green Mango. We are trying to stop being such creatures of habit when we go out to eat. Mexican is also a good one. Emiliano’s on the South Side is where we frequent about once every other week. Italian is my all time favorite though. Have you heard/been to the restaurant Meat and Potatoes? Rumor has it they have bacon flavored vodka…intriguing.

Ami @ parsnipsandpears — March 27, 2012 @ 7:21 pm

I love Tuesday things. Always good times. I <3 the 90210 references… you are the only other person I know of who watches anymore (makes me feel less alone haha).

Jessica — March 27, 2012 @ 7:30 pm

Gravy on fries is the reason that the day Eat n Park closed I shed a single tear.

stephanie@cookinfanatic — March 27, 2012 @ 7:36 pm

Mexican is by far my favorite cuisine, I just love the simple yet complex flavors that using flavors native to that region brings! Lately I have also been in love with Asian cuisine, fresh and flavorful it’s really grabbed my heart these days. I have to agree with you on Italian, it’s probably lower on my list as well, and here all this time I thought I was the only one who felt that way?!?! People always think I’m nuts when I say that haha…

1 2 3