There are many things in this life that I will never understand.

Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Peanut Butter I howsweeteats.com

Girls wearing straight up padded fancy bras to the gym and the real-life breakup of Ryan Gosling and Rachel McAdams name a few, but one that utterly blows my mind is that there are people in this universe who don’t agree that the combo of chocolate and peanut butter can work miracles.

I just don’t get why we can’t see eye to eye.

I will never… comprehend. Makes no sense in my pea-sized brain.

Remember the days when you needed to run to the store to grab peanut butter and actually could find… peanut butter? Like, not peanut butter combined with chocolate or honey or almonds or raisins or bacon?

I barely do.

Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Peanut Butter I howsweeteats.com

I don’t know when this crazy trend of flavored peanut butter started, but I do remember going to the store in my youth and seeing actual PLAIN peanut butter on the shelves and only that. And I certainly remember the day I discovered the souped up goods: about three weeks out from my first fitness competition, I spied both white chocolate wonderful and dark chocolate dreams in my local market and just HAD to buy them, even though I couldn’t consume them for nearly 21 days or some ridiculous amount of time like that. Pure torture. Let’s just say that the morning after that show, I consumed about half of a jar in record time then almost yacked my brains out while teaching spinning.

It was totally worth it though. I still live and die for both of those flavors and if they are missing from my pantry I lose my head.

Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Peanut Butter I howsweeteats.com

But whatever.

I added cookie dough to my own peanut butter so feel free to punch me in the face. That’s sort of how I felt when I was folding dough into the creamy contents of my food processor… just… so… wrong. But right? While we don’t have a world class recipe on our hands here, it sure beats paying $16 for a small jar of ground peanuts stuffed with dried fruit and chocolate chips. Right right? It’s simple, it’s quick, it’s fun and it’s fabulous eaten with only a spoon.

…I should know.

Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Peanut Butter I howsweeteats.com

Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Peanut Butter

[cookie dough came from the cookie dough pb cups]

2 cups unsalted peanuts

for cookie dough:

6 tablespoons unsalted butter

1/3 cup brown sugar

1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

1/2 cup powdered sugar

2 tablespoons flour (I used coconut flour!)

1/4 teaspoon salt

1/4 cup mini chocolate chips

In a small saucepan, heat butter until melted. Whisk in brown sugar until dissolved, then let it bubble for 1-2 minutes. Remove from heat and whisk vanilla extract. Let sit and cool completely, about 20 minutes. Stir in powdered sugar, salt and flour, then once mixed, add in mini chocolate chips and then place in the fridge to set for 20-30 minutes.

Add peanuts to the bowl of your food processor. Pulse and process until smooth, about 2-3 minutes. Taste and if desired, add a bit of salt. Remove “dough” from the fridge and crumble with your hands. Fold as much of the dough you’d like into the peanut butter, then store in a seal-tight container. It is usually recommended that homemade nut butters be refrigerated – depending on how quickly we consume them (like this one), I will often let them sit out for a week and they are fine.

Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Peanut Butter I howsweeteats.com

That is all.

138 Responses to “A Quick and Easy Treat: Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Peanut Butter.”

Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers — April 13, 2012 @ 6:57 am

You are the cooking genius! This is amazing! I make Peanut Butter all the time, but never in a million years thought of making it a chocolate chip cookie dough PB. Those are my top two favorite cookies. I’m making this as soon as I get home from work!!! I can’t wait!!

nicole @ I am a Honey Bee — April 13, 2012 @ 7:00 am

this sounds amazing. I don’t trust myself buying the souped up peanut butters. At least making it at home I can control the amount I make, and therefore stuff in my face! Great combo!!

Nicky @ Pink Recipe Box — April 13, 2012 @ 7:01 am

Yum! Peanut butter and chocolate is far too rich for me, but peanut butter and cookie dough sounds amazing! You’re always so full of creative ideas. :)

Simply Life — April 13, 2012 @ 7:01 am

Oh dear, this looks dangerous…but so good :)

Vicki @WITK — April 13, 2012 @ 7:02 am

Ooo, this looks like a dangerous combination! I don’t think I could talk myself into putting this on my morning toast! Any other time of the day, like 10:30am, bring my a spoon! :)

Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles — April 13, 2012 @ 7:06 am

I love that it is so custom made and I don’t have to pay $16 for it or drive to a store four or six hours away to find a jar- I just need to get busy. Delicious idea!
    I made dark chocolate coconut almond butter last night- out of this world amazing!

living the sweet life — April 13, 2012 @ 7:07 am

You’ve done it again, created such deliciousness that I want to dive into and live happily ever after

Jenna — April 13, 2012 @ 7:09 am

So glad to see your cookie dough recipe is sans eggs, because I was a little dubious at the beginning!

Peanut butter and I have a shaky relationship. I like it in sandwiches with fluff or jam, or in Reese’s Peanut Butter cups, but besides that, I usually shy away. My boyfriend, however, LOVES the stuff (and also eats possibly-salmonella-infested cookie dough out of the fridge all the time, even when I tell him not to!). Thanks for sharing your recipe (and creativity)!

Rebecca — April 13, 2012 @ 7:14 am

I know what i’m making when I get home from work!! Looks soo good

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey — April 13, 2012 @ 7:15 am

I remember a day where natural peanut butters didn’t even exist in grocery stores – either that or I was so blinded by the world of Skippy and JIF (okay, we were a JIF family).

• Jessica — April 13th, 2012 @ 7:19 am

We were a Jif family too, and the only natural brand I remember being around was Smuckers. I was so confused by all of the oil separation! In my early teens I would ask my mom to buy it, take a taste and gag. So brainwashed.

Katrina — April 13, 2012 @ 7:24 am

Oh. My. God. This is so dangerous.

Rodzilla — April 13, 2012 @ 7:25 am

PB Loco used to make a cccd variety, but the line was discontinued and this looks like a much better replacement. I like the coconut flour particularly.

• Jessica — April 13th, 2012 @ 7:26 am

The coconut flour makes it taste incredible! I really recommend it. :)

Sally @ Spontaneous Hausfrau — April 13, 2012 @ 7:26 am

Chocolate and peanut butter is my PMS go-to. This will be stuffed into my piehole fairly soon.

Mrs. Zoom — April 13, 2012 @ 7:28 am

Yum-age. I usually scoop up a big spoonful of peanut butter and then roll it in chocolate chips for a snack. THIS looks way better. And, no raw eggs! My two year old sends his advance thanks. Yesssssss!

Nicola — April 13, 2012 @ 7:35 am

Here in the UK we just have smooth and crunchy…nothing else. :-)

• Christin — April 13th, 2012 @ 8:10 am

Yes, and it drives me NUTS! Even finding decent ones of either are pretty slim. Skippy is the only good one I’ve found so I stocked up last time I went to Costco!

Blog is the New Black — April 13, 2012 @ 7:35 am

Whaaaaaaaaat?!

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat — April 13, 2012 @ 7:40 am

Ok, I’ve been reading your blog for over a year now, and I can’t believe I didn’t know you were a fitness competitor AND a spin instructor! From one instructor to another, I say we demolish an enormous vat of this recipe. After all, think of all those miles we’ve already logged on the bike… they’ve gotta count for something, right? ;)

Katrina (gluten free gidget) — April 13, 2012 @ 7:42 am

Because normal peanut butter wasn’t addicting enough, you had to go and add cookie dough?!!! ;)

Cait's Plate — April 13, 2012 @ 7:45 am

This has been on my “to create” list for a while…I’ve been dreaming it up ever since trying Cookie Nookie by PB Crave. I’m glad you did all the work for me and now all I need to do is follow the recipe ;)

jenna — April 13, 2012 @ 7:47 am

oh my word….you have really gone over the edge….amazing!

Lauren at Keep It Sweet — April 13, 2012 @ 7:49 am

I am so in trouble because I need to make this immediately, oh my! And my husband doesn’t like peanut butter, can you imagine?!

Becca @ Thefluffybread — April 13, 2012 @ 7:50 am

Whaaaaat? You were a fitness competitor? How have I been reading your blog/stalking this site for over a year now and this is the first time I’m hearing of this??

Kim in MD — April 13, 2012 @ 7:51 am

This has left me………..speechless.

Jamie — April 13, 2012 @ 7:53 am

My husband is one of those creatures who despises pb&chocolate. The only thing I know, is that it’s more for me! I’ll definitely have to try this recipe ASAP!

Kare @ Kitchen Treaty — April 13, 2012 @ 7:57 am

Well, this is just cray-cray. In a good way.

chefroommate — April 13, 2012 @ 8:01 am

I would certainly not punch you in the face for this recipe – I would definitely hug you and give you presents. This is awesome.

And who are these people who don’t like chocolate and peanut butter together? They must be stopped.

Christin — April 13, 2012 @ 8:08 am

You are so MEAN posting all these pb recipes when I can’t use the stuff!! ;) My 20 month old daughter had a reaction to peanut butter at 12 months so we’ve been told to avoid it until she hits 2. I’m dyin’ here! I love peanut butter and chocolate chip cookie dough separately, nevermind combined like this. I sure hope she doesn’t end up with an allergy because I can’t imagine a kid not experiencing the delicious wonders of peanut butter. I might have to compensate by making the CCCD and eating it plain.

• Jessica — April 13th, 2012 @ 8:24 am

Oh man what a bummer… I hope she doesn’t end up with the allergy!

Vanessa (Mom's Menu Planner) — April 13, 2012 @ 8:13 am

Yum! Yum! Yum! I want some of this right now! I love peanut butter. But you are absolute right – peanut butter and chocolate, well, that could definitely make miracles happen :)

Meg @ Peaches and Cake — April 13, 2012 @ 8:21 am

are you kidding? this is totally a world class recipe!

Kelly — April 13, 2012 @ 8:43 am

My boyfriend is one of those people who claims to not like the whole peanut butter/chocolate combination. It’s just one of those things that I almost think he does just to bug me because he knows it’s one of life’s greatest combinations.

Another amazing combo? Pinterest & your blog. I know that anytime I pin any of your delectable looking recipes I will receive countless pins/emails about such pins. Instant popularity!!

Maria — April 13, 2012 @ 8:48 am

Oh no you didn’t! Girl, I need this stat!

Doux Rousse — April 13, 2012 @ 8:49 am

I would like to take this and make a peanut butter cheesecake with it. Mwahahaha (evil laugh)

XO,
    Caitlin

• Jessica — April 13th, 2012 @ 11:06 am

You’re on to something there.

Bubblybunny — April 13, 2012 @ 8:58 am

Oh YUM!! This is awesome!! I was just at a One-Of-A-Kind craftshow last week and there was a girl there selling flavoured peanut butter. I bought the Salted Caramel Peanut Butter for $10 and it’s 1/2 gone already!!

She also had maple bacon peanut butter. Just thought I’d throw that idea out there for ya because I know how much you adore bacon. :D

Jena — April 13, 2012 @ 9:05 am

Oh how much I love you, if only it wasn’t still so early in the morning. As a current college student, my family sends me care packages, sometimes with frozen homemade cookie dough (usually chocolate chip) packed in with ice packs. One of my favorite snacks (that sometimes turns into a meal…) is to scoop out chunks with a spoon and eat it with another spoon of peanut butter-this simply combines those two majestic things! Yay! Can’t wait to try this the next time I go home.

Stephanie @ Eat. Drink. Love. — April 13, 2012 @ 9:06 am

Oh, I get you on that PB. My faves are the dark chocolate dreams and the honey bee.

And holy cow, this is genius!

Amy Kowbuz — April 13, 2012 @ 9:09 am

YUM! Do you think it would work if I just mixed the cookie dough part in already made peanut butter? I dont have a food processor :(

• Jessica — April 13th, 2012 @ 11:06 am

Definitely!

Chelsy — April 13, 2012 @ 9:10 am

Holy Moly! That looks amazing. I love mixing up new peanut butter/nut butter concoctions. I did one a while back inspired by one of my mom’s cookies recipes with white chocolate and Ritz crackers…it was too die for! I will be making this stuff asap! Oh, and those people who don’t agree with the whole peanut butter/chocolate combo don’t exist in my world.

Ella — April 13, 2012 @ 9:14 am

Ok the padded bras at the gym: I always wear makeup at the gym and padded sports bras (not padded fancy bras). BUT, let me back up why. My gym is kinda insane. Like yesterday I worked out next to Joe Jonas and his supermodel girlfriend. Now, it’s less about Joe Jonas and more about the supermodel girlfriend as to why I wear the makeup and the padded sports bra. Working out next to a bunch of models and the like really brings a gal down. So, yeah, I understand the padded bra thing. Just my two cents.

• Jessica — April 13th, 2012 @ 11:06 am

Um, seriously… holy shit I need to work out at your gym! I get the padded sports bras – Victoria’s Secret used to have some that I liked… but the real bras… I can’t deal.

• ela — April 13th, 2012 @ 3:22 pm

And I just spent an hour working out next to Claire Danes. Who is one of my favorite actresses ever. And I was too emberessed/shy to say anything. Also she wasn’t even wearing a bra. Is that worse than wearing a padded fancy bra?

Dee Ignacz — April 13, 2012 @ 9:15 am

Thank you! You truly are an amazing woman. I love everything you post but this, simple yet delicious! Words can not express. I look forward to your posts everyday. You are fantastic!!

• Jessica — April 13th, 2012 @ 11:05 am

Thank you so much Dee.

Lynne @ 365 Days of Baking — April 13, 2012 @ 9:15 am

*sigh* There are no words…

ronda — April 13, 2012 @ 9:16 am

Thanks for adding extra time to the treadmill for me. So wonderful, why haven’t I ever thought of this.

sally @ sally's baking addiction — April 13, 2012 @ 9:16 am

i’m convinced that there is NOTHING peanut butter and chocolate can’t fix. anyone who disagrees would hate my blog since 85% of m recipes include that wonderful, miracle-working combo. and adding cookie dough to the mix is just madness. give me a spoon!

Emilie @ Emilie's Enjoyables — April 13, 2012 @ 9:18 am

I can remember the times of only plain pb too….but these times are much better :)

brandi — April 13, 2012 @ 9:18 am

oh man. it is probably a very, very good thing that i don’t have a food processor.

also re: ryan gosling and rachel mcadams. i am still upset about that, too. that kiss on the mtv movie awards? the best. ever.

• Jessica — April 13th, 2012 @ 11:04 am

UGH. I know. It was like… real life Notebook. Because you know… I would know exactly what their relationship is like.

Taryn — April 13, 2012 @ 9:19 am

You do a lot of amazing things, but this one seriously takes the cake for me. Sheer genius. AMAZING! I am going to the store immediately to buy peanuts so I can make this.

Kristen @ notsodomesticated — April 13, 2012 @ 9:19 am

I am in complete agreement. Peanut butter and chocolate are just meant to go together. It’s a fact of life that everyone should just come to terms with!

Amanda — April 13, 2012 @ 9:33 am

White Chocolate Wonderful is my lover. I don’t even like white chocolate that much, but after a trip to the PB&Co store one afternoon, I became obsessed. I finally caved and bought a jar about a month ago (I didn’t trust myself to have it in the house), and now I may or may not have 6 jars in my kitchen. If you buy it by the case on Amazon subscribe and save it’s less than $4 a jar. And this recipe looks incredible.

• Jessica — April 13th, 2012 @ 11:04 am

I’m the same – don’t super love white chocolate but that pb is my all-time fave flavor.

Erin — April 13, 2012 @ 9:34 am

Um, I love you. I am so glad the world doesn’t only have one kind of peanut butter, and I scoff those who don’t like peanut butter at all, let alone don’t get the pb+choc combo’s miracle-working powers.

The Mrs @ Success Along the Weigh — April 13, 2012 @ 9:38 am

That stuff wouldn’t stand a chance in our house. Gotta make a batch, take a few tbsp’s then get it out of the house!

Kristen — April 13, 2012 @ 9:53 am

You get the star for creativity and for adding 10 pounds to my hips just from the picture!

1 2 3

1. Pingback: Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Peanut Butter

2. Pingback: Friday favorites | Nikkilooch

3. Pingback: Peanut Butter Cookie Dough Overnight Oats

4. Pingback: How To Make Homemade Milk Chocolate Cashew Butter | How Sweet It Is

5. Pingback: Yum! 50 AMAZING Peanut Butter Recipes on FamilyFreshCooking.com — Family Fresh Cooking

6. Pingback: DIY food gifts in jars + free printable labels - Handcrafted Parties

7. Pingback: それがそうであるはずだった23の快適さ食物マッシュアップ | アメリカ最新美味しい~食事!こんな新しいメニュー見たことない!

8. Pingback: Comfort foods has always been handy. But when it is all mashed up and in weird combinations it is much better. Some of the weird combo mashed up comfort foods | Toasting Toaster

9. Pingback: Comfort food has always been handy. But when it is all mashed up and in weird combinations it is much better. Some of the weird combo mashed up comfort foods | Toasting Toaster

10. Pingback: 23 Comfort Food Mash-Ups That Were Meant To Be | sooziQ

11. Pingback: Jeobox – 23 Comfort Food Mash-Ups That Were Meant To Be

12. Pingback: それがそうであるはずだった23の快適さ食物マッシュアップ | 男は美味しいご飯に弱い!最新モテ料理・肉料理! 女子は必見!

13. Pingback: それがそうであるはずだった23の快適さ食物マッシュアップ | アメリカ最新美味しい~食事!こんな新しいメニュー見たことない!

14. Pingback: それがそうであるはずだった23の快適さ食物マッシュアップ | アメリカ最新美味しい~食事!こんな新しいメニュー見たことない!