I hate to say it, but these little green stems are growing on me.

Bacon Wrapped Caramelized Sesame Asparagus I howsweeteats.com

Ugh.

I mean, they’ve always been one of the vegetables that I can handle in small doses – mostly because by the time I’ve had enough (not even being able to look at them?), they’re out of season. At least around here. It’s a short ride baby.

But I unlocked the asparagus key this season. It’s no secret that the fingerful of veggies I DO like have to be roasted – and I mean ROASTED – for me to eat them. To the point of like, death. Charred to a crisp I tell you. And I’m fairly certain that I’ve roasted asparagus before, but maybe I just didn’t do it long enough? Or just didn’t cover it in enough sea salt? Or just didn’t shave my parmesan into big enough chunks? Hmmmm.

Oh wait. I know what I didn’t do. I didn’t allow it to be blanketed in a waterfall of gooey egg yolk. THAT’S THE SECRET. That’s why I ended up eating asparagus for breakfast. This asparagus – wrapped in bacon – for breakfast people. It has bacon, so… duh. It’s totally breakfast worthy.

Bacon Wrapped Caramelized Sesame Asparagus I howsweeteats.com

This is a perfectly portioned Spring side dish, but FYI: eating it at 7AM with a poached egg on top is what the cool people do. I might have made it four times already. Kinda sorta maybe.

My asparagus alone? Plain little green sticks? They still have to be roasted to the high heavens. The stems get slightly golden and the flowery tips get crispy. They actually crunch in your mouth. I’m not saying I look forward to it… buuuuuut it’s gettin’ easier to choke down. Winnnnning.

Bacon Wrapped Caramelized Sesame Asparagus I howsweeteats.com

Bacon Wrapped Caramelized Sesame Asparagus

[adapted from green bean bacon bundles]

serves 4, is easily multiplied

1 bunch of asparagus, about 20-25 spears, stems removed

4 slices thick-cut bacon

1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil

1/2 tablespoon toasted sesame oil

1 1/2 tablespoon brown sugar

1 garlic clove, minced or pressed

1/2 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and place a wire rack on top. Spray the rack with nonstick spray. In a small bowl, whisk together oils, brown sugar and garlic. Set aside.

Bunch together 5-6 asparagus spears and tightly wrap a piece of bacon around the bundle. Place on the wire rack seam-side down and repeat. Using a pastry brush, a spoon or even your hands (I did this…), brush the spears thoroughly with the oil/sugar mixture. Give each bundle a hefty sprinkle of sesame seeds. Roast for 35-40 minutes, or until bacon is crispy. Serve warm.

Bacon Wrapped Caramelized Sesame Asparagus I howsweeteats.com

I’ll take it.

140 Responses to “Bacon Wrapped Caramelized Sesame Asparagus.”

Caroline @ chocolate & carrots — April 3, 2012 @ 6:57 am

I love asparagus! The bacon just makes it better. ;D

Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles — April 3, 2012 @ 6:59 am

On a poached egg for breakfast- I dig it! :) I do love asparagus though! Such a fancy way to start the day if you ask this girl!

Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers — April 3, 2012 @ 7:02 am

Yum! Now this is the way we like to have boring old asparagus! Nice recipe, and it would go so perfect with breakfast!! Love it!

Erika - The Teenage Taste — April 3, 2012 @ 7:07 am

Put bacon on anything and I’ll eat it. These asparagus bundles look so yummy!

Maria — April 3, 2012 @ 7:08 am

OMG I haven’t bought bacon in forever, but I can totally handle it to balance out these babies. I have to make these for my boyfriend stat!

Kathryn — April 3, 2012 @ 7:09 am

I went to an Easter lunch hosted by a friend last year and she did roasted asparagus and poached eggs for 40 people, I was seriously impressed. The additions of bacon and sesame seeds here are genius, there’s so much flavour going on.

Sally @ sally's baking addiction — April 3, 2012 @ 7:13 am

great side dish for an easter brunch Jessica! garlic, sesame, brown sugar, bacon… how could one NOT like this take on a veggie?!

Kim in MD — April 3, 2012 @ 7:16 am

Roasting asparagus is the only way to go! I would love a bundle of this asparagus with an egg for breakfast…yum!

Blog is the New Black — April 3, 2012 @ 7:37 am

I adore asparagus and I’d love these little bundles!

Sally @ Spontaneous Hausfrau — April 3, 2012 @ 7:38 am

I love asparagus, so that bacon and sesame glaze is going to take this over the top for me! I’ll likely eat the whole batch, but it’s better than a whole batch of cupcakes!

Heather (Heather's Dish) — April 3, 2012 @ 7:44 am

I think I could eat an entire bunch of asparagus like this! Ok, 2 bunches :)

shelly (cookies and cups) — April 3, 2012 @ 7:45 am

Seriously woman! Way to take asparagus there.

Ashlee — April 3, 2012 @ 7:49 am

I’ve never roasted it before, but it’s one of our family’s favorites (especially my 3 year old – who BEGS for it). I have all these ingredients right now, so looks like I’m making a slight alteration to tonight’s meal plan to add this in. Thanks!

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat — April 3, 2012 @ 7:50 am

These are so so cute! I love asparagus anyway, but yours look much much more exciting all dressed up like this!

The Mrs @ Success Along the Weigh — April 3, 2012 @ 7:55 am

Dang it, I just made asparagus last night but I’m going to make sure this is the way I make it next!

Gen — April 3, 2012 @ 8:06 am

Yum! i actually really love asparagus anyway….and bacon makes everything better!

Rachel @ Not Rachael Ray — April 3, 2012 @ 8:22 am

Looks perfect! I could totally see this for breakfast.

kelley @mountainmamacooks — April 3, 2012 @ 8:44 am

Hell to the yes! Breakfast, lunch or dinner I’d happily gobble these up. And how can you not love the pretty little package?

Villy @ For the love of Feeding — April 3, 2012 @ 8:44 am

Asparagus is awesome (have you tried a frittata? Yum!), and you wrap it with bacon.. Bacon! Amazing!

Chelsy — April 3, 2012 @ 9:04 am

YUM! Totally breakfast food. Oh, and seriously, I have to have my veggies and meats charred to the high heavens. Everything tastes better blacked, caramelized, charred, etc.!

Lynne @ 365 Days of Baking — April 3, 2012 @ 9:08 am

Ooh, I’ve roasted asparagus before and it was truly delicious! Of course, the bacon and sesame seeds take it over the top.
    Bookmarked!

Meagan @ A Zesty Bite — April 3, 2012 @ 9:13 am

Excellent use of the asparagus. Bacon always helps anyone out with eating vegetables.

Megan {Country Cleaver} — April 3, 2012 @ 9:16 am

I’m on a serious asparagus kick as of late…and with the wrapping of it in BACON – this is only going to fuel the fire more. Esp if I toss a poached egg on that concoction. You bad girl, giving me awesome ideas…

Quiche-ing Queen — April 3, 2012 @ 9:22 am

Yes yes yes! I have everything on hand to make this. Can’t wait. I love asparagus but with bacon… LOVE!

Liz @ Tip Top Shape — April 3, 2012 @ 9:50 am

I adore asparagus. And how can anything NOT be amazing when wrapped in bacon?!

Ginger @ cookinghaven — April 3, 2012 @ 9:51 am

I feel you on the asparagus. I don’t love them either. And everyone I know is always going on and on about them. I think you have the right idea though; roast till crispy and cover in bacon. That will make almost anything taste good!

Cait's Plate — April 3, 2012 @ 9:53 am

I’m loving asparagus right now – and I can only image how amazing it would taste with BACON added!

Kristen @ notsodomesticated — April 3, 2012 @ 10:14 am

How can you NOT like this? You could probably serve bacon-wrapped tube socks to me, and I’d be happy. ;)

Gina @ Running to the Kitchen — April 3, 2012 @ 10:18 am

I did the bacon wrapped asparagus thing last week for the first time. No words, just pure deliciousness in every single bite. Love the sesame/Asian vibe to these :)

Katy @ HaveYouHurd — April 3, 2012 @ 10:30 am

These are BEAUTIFUL pics! Looooove them! Also am in love with this recipe! CANNOT wait to try!

Averie @ Averie Cooks — April 3, 2012 @ 10:47 am

Gorgeous pictures, Jessica! Bon Appetite called and wants to know if they can use the images :)

Emily — April 3, 2012 @ 10:50 am

Looks delicious. I will be making these tonight! And I just have to say, I found your blog a couple of weeks ago and LOVE it. I look forward to each new post.

Judy Lewandowski — April 3, 2012 @ 11:02 am

My husband made something similar to this but he used prosciutto instead of bacon. Delicious!

Allie @ sweet potato bites — April 3, 2012 @ 11:28 am

I’m not the biggest asparagus fan, but since it’s wrapped in bacon, I just might be on board.

Karriann — April 3, 2012 @ 11:35 am

Asparagus wrapped with bacon… A very brilliant and delicious idea! I want that in my mouth right now ;)

“Spice it Up”

Rachel — April 3, 2012 @ 11:48 am

It is SO funny that you posted this, I just told my hubby last night that I’m making bacon wrapped grilled asparagus this week!
    WE could live on asparagus, good thing it grows wild in the ditches here in MN!
    I’ll look forward to trying your recipe!

Katie — April 3, 2012 @ 11:53 am

We always have about 29 batches of asparagus hanging out in our fridge because Meeker loves it sooooo. I’m going to knock his socks off with this…

Kristen from BatterLicker.com — April 3, 2012 @ 12:01 pm

I’m SO glad the green stems are growing on you, otherwise I might never have tried this combo with asparagus. Looks amazing!!

Kelly — April 3, 2012 @ 12:54 pm

Asparagus….yum! My favorite veggie as of late.

kathleen @ the daily crumb — April 3, 2012 @ 12:59 pm

roasted asparagus are one of my favorite side dish. and then you go and add bacon?! um, yes please!

Rayna — April 3, 2012 @ 1:13 pm

I’ve been on a roasted green beans w/ potatoes kick and its getting kind of boring so now I think I need to make this! plus, it has bacon which will make my dad want to try it.

Carolyn — April 3, 2012 @ 1:18 pm

Yummy! Definitely going to try this for Easter Dinner.

Lindsey — April 3, 2012 @ 1:34 pm

Asparagus definitely has to be one of my favorites. This recipe sounds delicious…

FullFlavoredLife — April 3, 2012 @ 2:30 pm

Caramelized Sesame Asparagus, Looks amazing! I love asparagus.

christina @ ovenadventures — April 3, 2012 @ 2:54 pm

you had me at bacon. i am totally going to make this for my FIL. He is gonna die.

Jean from SoapArt — April 3, 2012 @ 4:23 pm

Christina – she had me at bacon too! Then it just kept getting better from there. Looks delish. Thanks for sharing!

Ashley @ Wishes & Dishes — April 3, 2012 @ 4:34 pm

Asparagus is about the only green vegetable I can stand…and the bacon really helps :)

Cassie — April 3, 2012 @ 4:50 pm

Asparagus is definitely my favorite. I’m loving this caramelized-sesame-bacon-y action.

Annie @ What's Annie Making? — April 3, 2012 @ 5:10 pm

These look delicious! I’m so excited asparagus is finally in season right now. Can’t wait to try this!

Moni Meals — April 3, 2012 @ 5:29 pm

I will take it too! So beautifully wrapped too. :)

1. Pingback: Racing Fool « lifes little epiphanies…

2. Pingback: Drooling over foods for Easter!

3. Pingback: M is for Makin'... Makin' Bacon BBQ Black Beans! | Cabin Goddess

4. Pingback: What’s for Dinner: Bacon Wrapped Asparagus | | Where's the ZoomWhere's the Zoom

5. Pingback: Expanding the Garden | Karla M Curry

6. Pingback: Bundled and Wrapped « A Tasty Life

7. Pingback: How to Eat Healthy At A Barbecue | Nerd Fitness

8. Pingback: How to Eat Healthy At A Barbecue | NewsFitness.net

9. Pingback: Weekend Update: Deals, Steals, Sweets, and Treats | Miraculous Maze

10. Pingback: {blending beautiful} » Any advice on appetizers?

11. Pingback: Sesame Bacon-Wrapped Asparagus | The PinterTest Kitchen

12. Pingback: Embracing My Inner Buddy the Elf This Christmas | the Vagrinda

13. Pingback: Five Thing Friday: Pinterest Edition. « Better With Sprinkles

14. Pingback: Pikantní kuřecí paličky s pečeným chřestem | Vítejte na blogu od Metly

15. Pingback: Bacon Wrapped Caramelized Sesame Asparagus | What2Cook

16. Pingback: Five Things Friday 4/26/13. | Better With Sprinkles

17. Pingback: Bacon Asparagus Bundles - Garnish with Lemon | Garnish with Lemon

18. Pingback: Top 10 Bacon Vegetable Dishes

19. Pingback: 10 Easy Gluten-Free Recipes for 4th of July - Ten on Tuesday - Don't Mess with Mama

20. Pingback: Bacon Vegetables RecipesUn – Complicate

21. Pingback: Little Weekend Links 5 | Little ObservationistLittle Observationist

22. Pingback: Bacon wrapped caramelized sesame asparagus by How sweet it is | Food Recipes, Food Tales, Tips & Tricks and latest Trends

23. Pingback: Paleo Winter Recipes

24. Pingback: Top Ten Healthy New Year’s Party Food Ideas

25. Pingback: Table for Twenties - Bacon Wrapped Caramelized Sesame Asparagus

26. Pingback: Bacon Wrapped Caramelized Sesame Asparagus Recipe

27. Pingback: Friday’s Loveliness – Food Glorious Food | Bride by the Beach

28. Pingback: 17 Mouthwatering Bacon-Wrapped Snacks You Need To Try | Bringing the best news to the People

29. Pingback: Jeobox – 17 Mouthwatering Bacon-Wrapped Snacks You Need To Try

30. Pingback: 17 Mouthwatering Bacon-Wrapped Snacks You Need To Try | sooziQ

31. Pingback: The Chic Site

32. Pingback: 10 Delicious Reasons Bacon Is The Food Of Gods - Hi Hi Horse!

33. Pingback: 17 Mouthwatering Bacon-Wrapped Snacks You Need To Try - EpicDash

34. Pingback: 17 ‘Must Try’ Bacon Wrapped Snack Recipes!

35. Pingback: Fresh PIcked Friday [VOl.77] | Picklee

36. Pingback: Fresh PIcked Friday [Vol.78] | Picklee

37. Pingback: Farmer’s Market Foray: What’s in Season and Recipes | living on a green thumb

38. Pingback: 7 Bacon Recipe's for the Biggest Bacon Lovers in the World = Dads | Girl NestingGirl Nesting

39. Pingback: Ultimate Asparagus Guide: Grow, Harvest, Cook & Preserve - An Oregon Cottage

40. Pingback: Bacon Week 2014: Bacon-Wrapped Asparagus - spatialdrift | spatialdrift

41. Pingback: Bacon Wrapped Asparagus - Bacon Today