So… I did this.

Blueberry Bacon Breakfast Cake I howsweeteats.com

Blueberries.

Bacon.

Together.

For breakfast.

In dessert form.

I mean… I made a cake with bacon fat. If that wasn’t on my bucket list I don’t know what is.

Blueberry Bacon Breakfast Cake I howsweeteats.com

We’re moving a little backwards here, what with dinner yesterday and breakfast today and then tomorrow… lunch. Whatever… we’ll get there. But this doesn’t HAVE to be breakfast. It’s totally breakfast slash dessert slash snack slash tax stress out food. I’m pretty sure we all know that little word… *breakfast*… simply makes an appearance so we feel better about ourselves and the fluffy sugar consumed at 7:18 this morning.

Ugh. I just love this so much. So much, in fact, that it’s disgusting. I love it so much that I hate it’s guts.

Blueberry Bacon Breakfast Cake I howsweeteats.com

The only thing that could make this whole blueberry bacon experience better was if I was eating it somewhere magical. Like a tropical island. Maybe a snowy ski lodge with a fireplace roaring. Probably not in a bikini in June. Or most definitely… Target. It’s a major secret of mine to wish to be locked inside Target overnight… a la Joey and Pacey in K-Mart circa 2003. Granted I’d want more than 12 hours to be surrounded by the multitude of beauty products, magazines, movies, food, scooters, bikes and all that crazy choxie chocolate stuff… but it’s a start.

Totally Team Pacey for life by the way. For LIFE.

Blueberry Bacon Breakfast Cake I howsweeteats.com

But this cake. Oh this cake.

The cake itself is nothing special – similar to your regular ol’ coffee cake cut into your typical square – but this time it’s laced with tons of bursting blueberries and super crunchy, salty bacon. With a little cinnamon and vanilla swirled in there too. And topped with a cream cheese glaze because, well… can I ever leave well enough alone?

I’m sure you know the answer to that. It just completely WORKS. It’s like eating fat blueberry pancakes with a side of bacon. Except your bacon is like, on top of the pancakes. Or sandwiched in between. Because I know you’ve done that before… come on!

Blueberry Bacon Breakfast Cake I howsweeteats.com

Blueberry Bacon Breakfast Cake

[adapted from my eggnog crumble cake]

makes a 9×13 dish

6 slices thick-cut bacon

1 cup all-purpose flour

1 cup whole wheat pastry flour

2 teaspoons baking powder

1/4 teaspoon salt

1/4 teaspoon cinnamon

2 tablespoons bacon fat, cooled

4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled

1/2 cup loosely packed brown sugar

1/3 cup granulated sugar

2 large eggs

1 cup milk

2 teaspoons vanilla extract

8 ounces fresh blueberries (frozen work too – just thaw and pay completely dry)

Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat and add bacon. Fry until completely crisp and fat is rendered. Remove bacon and place on a paper towel to drain, reserving 2 tablespoons of the bacon fat.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a small bowl, combine flours, baking powder, salt and cinnamon and mix thoroughly. Set aside.

In a large bowl, whisk butter and bacon fat with sugar until combined. Whisk in eggs until completely smooth, then whisk in vanilla extract. Slowly add dry ingredients, mixing with a large spoon. Add in milk and stir until combined. Toss blueberries with 1-2 tablespoons of flour. Fold in bacon and blueberries, then pour batter into a greased 9 x 13 baking dish. Bake for 30-33 minutes, or until golden on the sides and top. Remove cake and poke holes on top with a toothpick. Pour glaze over top, reserving a bit extra for topping if desired.

Cream Cheese Glaze

1/2 cup whipped cream cheese, at room temperature

3/4 cup powdered sugar

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

2-3 tablespoons milk

Add softened cream cheese to a bowl and whisk until smooth. Add in milk and vanilla, mixing until combined, then begin to stir in powdered sugar. If mixture is too thick, add additional milk 1 teaspoon at a time. If it is too thin, add in powdered sugar 1 tablespoon at a time until desired consistency is reached.

Blueberry Bacon Breakfast Cake I howsweeteats.com

Also suggested: chocolate chips. Now we’re talking.

135 Responses to “Blueberry Bacon Breakfast Cake.”

Mary @ Bake Break — April 17, 2012 @ 11:22 am

This looks amazing! Definitely on my “to do” list!

Em (Wine and Butter) — April 17, 2012 @ 11:27 am

I would like Pacey to feed me this cake!

• Jessica — April 17th, 2012 @ 11:31 am

Um, you’re on to something there.

shannon — April 17, 2012 @ 11:28 am

i am a huge fan of putting bacon in baked goods! i just made another batch of chocolate chip bacon cookies over the weekend :) but i do always feel a little awkward asking people if they’re a vegetarian before offering them a cookie…

• Jessica — April 17th, 2012 @ 11:31 am

Heh – seriously.

Joy — April 17, 2012 @ 11:38 am

this is criminal for the diet!

Averie @ Averie Cooks — April 17, 2012 @ 11:44 am

I made cookies to be posted on Monday with a whole smorgasbord of things from potato chips to butterscotch chips and I say, rock the creative recipes and flavors!

Christina @ This Woman Cooks! — April 17, 2012 @ 12:00 pm

Team Pacey- for LIFE! Yesss. I want this cake!

Tiffany — April 17, 2012 @ 12:05 pm

The hubs would love this cake. And totally team Pacey! Is there any other team worth being in, anyway?

Cassie — April 17, 2012 @ 12:15 pm

Too good, Jessica. Love the sweet and salty mixture!

Chung-Ah @ Damn Delicious — April 17, 2012 @ 12:28 pm

Yeah, if I had this on the table, waking up at 5:30AM would never be an issue.

Brooke — April 17, 2012 @ 12:31 pm

Can I come live with you? I’ll do the dishes.

Annie — April 17, 2012 @ 12:47 pm

Hi Jessica,

I haven’t tried baking with bacon, yet but this looks divine! Do you think this recipe would work as muffins? Thanks! And when the heck are you going to write a cook book?! ;)

Ashley @ Wishes and Dishes — April 17, 2012 @ 12:53 pm

haha You and your bacon! I have never put bacon in my sweets before but I am willing to give it a try one of these days when I’m feeling brave enough :)

Casey — April 17, 2012 @ 12:55 pm

Team Pacey all the way. It’s basically the only reason I watch Fringe regularly. If he was gone it just wouldn’t be the same. Maybe I’ll watch it while eating this glorious cake.

Kenzie — April 17, 2012 @ 1:10 pm

Dang, nice diet!

kristi — April 17, 2012 @ 1:19 pm

*** Team Pacey Forevah ***

green beans & grapefruit — April 17, 2012 @ 1:55 pm

I’m a sucker for savory and sweet!

Lauri — April 17, 2012 @ 2:28 pm

This looks amazing!!! debating making it for a work breakfast – if i made the cake wednesday night, woudl it be ok for friday morning? Also, would I just wait until that mornign to add the icing?

• Jessica — April 17th, 2012 @ 2:39 pm

I honestly probably would not make it Wednesday night for Friday morning… I think no matter how you cover it up that it will probably get a little stale. Is there any way you can make it Thursday night? You could measure out all of the ingredients on Wednesday, fry the bacon, measure of the wet ingredients and keep them sealed in the fridge, etc… then throw it together Thursday? I just think it would be best made closer to the time you’re serving it. I would still do the icing when the cake comes out of the over (since you poke the holes) but maybe make a little more to add on to when serving or right before?

• Lauri — April 17th, 2012 @ 3:34 pm

Thursday night is doable. Should i wrap in saran wrap or something until friday morning? I am so NOT a baker!!

• Jessica — April 17th, 2012 @ 3:35 pm

Let it cool completely, then yep, cover in plastic wrap!

Chelsea@Chelsea Is Dishing Up — April 17, 2012 @ 2:41 pm

Also team Pacey for life! The Kmart episode is one of my favorites. I love when she shaves his nasty beard away!

Georgia @ The Comfort of Cooking — April 17, 2012 @ 2:54 pm

Holy moly does that look delicious! What a helluva breakfast cake!

Gracie Girl — April 17, 2012 @ 3:03 pm

Whoa, these look great!

Mary — April 17, 2012 @ 3:29 pm

I’ve been catching up on your website going from oldest to newest, and I just want to say that I’ve never read a blog that makes me want to make every.single.recipe. So thanks! You’re my new go-to resource when I have no idea what to cook.

Tracy {Pale Yellow} — April 17, 2012 @ 3:48 pm

All of my favorite breakfast treats in one? Yes, please! Also, I now want to Netflix Dawson’s Creek!

Tracy — April 17, 2012 @ 3:58 pm

Sigh…wishing I had this for breakfast. Or lunch. Or heck even dinner. Yum!

Sarah — April 17, 2012 @ 4:00 pm

I totally agree about the timing of breakfast….I have a board on pintrest labeled “Breakfast is an anytime food”…that goes double for breakfast cake.

OliePants — April 17, 2012 @ 4:13 pm

I would only trust you to be able to combine these ingredients together to create something as wonderful as this breakfast cake! I’m sure these would be perfect for brunches!

Katie — April 17, 2012 @ 4:18 pm

I can’t even handle it. You quite literally made me salivate.

Kristina — April 17, 2012 @ 5:28 pm

WHAT!!?

surely there is a small place in your house for me to live. preferably near the kitchen.

Karly — April 17, 2012 @ 6:08 pm

Whoa. I’m not sure how I feel about this. I’ll have to think it over.

Yeah, okay. I’m in.

Colleen @MissPetiteSweets — April 17, 2012 @ 6:46 pm

Hi Jessica, I’ve been reading your blog for a while and really love it. And being a regular reader I know about your love of bacon….well the other day I saw a job posting for the Examiner.com for “Bacon Examiner” …as in you write stories, and develop recipes about nothing but bacon. I thought it was pretty hilarious. but also sounds like a delicious job

Quiche-ing Queen — April 17, 2012 @ 6:57 pm

Mmmm bacon!

Erin @ Sassin' Southern Style — April 17, 2012 @ 7:17 pm

Girl, please. Who isn’t Team Pacey? Like anyone could ever be Team SociallyIneptTwoTimingSlut. Pish.

Why do I want to request this cake for my birthday dinner?

Love,
    Would Really Prefer If All Plates Were Compartmentalized Like a 3 Year Old’s Otherwise Known As a “Normal” Person

Caroline~the wanna be country girl — April 17, 2012 @ 7:47 pm

My goodness that looks good. Blue berries, bacon and icing … all of my favorite rolled into one.
    Thanks for sharing,
    ~Caroline

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — April 17, 2012 @ 8:51 pm

Mmmmmm, blueberries and bacon!!! I have never seen that combo before, but I bet it is FAB!

Julie — April 17, 2012 @ 9:37 pm

I think I love you…. Thai Chicken Enchiladas for dinner tonight. They were to die for… I dont know how I found your blog but Im telling you I have never loved food so much. Im on a fairly strict diet but Im certain this was in my ok to eat zone… You really are a bad influence in my life, whats for dinner tomorrow :)
    Thanks so much for the insparation in the kitchen, you really are the best!!!

Kori — April 17, 2012 @ 10:56 pm

This looks great honey!!! I’m your newest follower here and on Twitter! Kori xoxo

Villy @ For the love of Feeding — April 18, 2012 @ 3:49 am

I should be surprised, but then I remembered I’m reading a post of YOUR blog. So I’m not. :D

Jessica — April 18, 2012 @ 9:10 am

I saw this online and almost gagged and then thought of you. LOL Feel special? Bacon Jam…

Sharon M — April 18, 2012 @ 10:20 am

Can I use regular all-purpose flour or a mixture of wheat & all purpose?

Hannah — April 18, 2012 @ 1:10 pm

Of course you made this! Ha ha it sounds hilarious and heavenly! Xx

Kim — April 18, 2012 @ 8:52 pm

OMGG!!! I just made this “Paleo” style and I am in love!!! Thank you so much for dreaming this gloriousness up!!!

Christina @ Sweet Lavender Bake Shoppe — April 19, 2012 @ 12:53 pm

Holy mackerel! Sounds amazing!!

Courtney — April 19, 2012 @ 1:17 pm

Made it. With Chocolate. Boyfriend ate the whole thing that night. Told me to add more bacon next time. Men.

lint — April 19, 2012 @ 3:05 pm

This looks so delicious. I will definitely start following you, this is amazing.

Izzi — April 19, 2012 @ 4:41 pm

Made this for my Art History class minus the glaze but with streusel and they LOVED it!!!!!!!!!!!! How Sweet has high school fans!

Kat — April 19, 2012 @ 9:10 pm

Oh no you didn’t….

kay — April 19, 2012 @ 10:14 pm

Um… this could be improved upon so much by using whole grain flower and honey or something for the sweetness. Nutrition is SO important. Nice idea. I wish these sorts of foods & recipes didn’t ever exist. Delicious & Nutritious are NOT mutually exclusive.

Jenna — April 19, 2012 @ 11:59 pm

I wish i could come cook with you! I love bacon so much, this looks delicious! Also i could make us a mean cocktail! :) (although not for breakfast)

Erin — April 20, 2012 @ 4:42 pm

Would you think less of a person if she covered the top of this baby in melted maple pecan butter too? It would be sort of like a blueberry pancake/maple bacon/sticky bun breakfast orgy.

You really make me want to dive back into my Dawson’s DVDs. That show still brings me so much joy, 10 years later. Team Pacey for life! Now off to find a man who will buy me a wall…

Dina — April 20, 2012 @ 5:59 pm

Can I use soft white wheat in place of wheat pastry flour? Has anyone made this with chocolate chips?

Jen Marie — April 26, 2012 @ 1:37 pm

Since you’re a fellow ‘Creek’ lover, have you seen Vanderbeek on Apartment 23? He sooooo cracks me up. Love. It.

ALmost as much as this cake! Can’t wait to try it with the kids.