Yesterday I had a moment.

Coconut Mango Mojitos I howsweeteats.com

I had to check a box. With pen and paper. You know, like a box that said 18-24, 25-34, etc? Pertaining to one’s age? Well this box was slightly different, and it said 20-29. I looked at it and was like… oh, 29… that’s weird. That 9 sure does look weird there. Why does 29 look so weird? I don’t like looking at 29. I’m feeling uncomfortable.

Hmmm. Hold the phone. I am 29. This is weird. It’s so weird that I can’t stop saying it’s weird. What’s happening?

I’ve never been one to think or ever care about ages, but then I saw this 29 and seriously, what.the.heck. ????  It threw me off a little bit. Was I really 19 ten whole years ago? Because I’m pretty sure it feels like just yesterday that I was failing economics* and changing my major 43 times.

So I made mojitos. I had almost three. Wanted to act like I was 22 again and forget that I spent an outrageous amount of money on Benefit erase paste yesterday in order to… erase things on my face. It worked.

The mojitos, not the paste.

Coconut Mango Mojitos I howsweeteats.com

Coconut Mango Mojitos

[slightly adapted from my triple berry mojitos]

makes 1 mojito, but is easily quadrupled

6-8 fresh mint leaves

2 1/2 ounces of mint simple syrup

1 ounce of coconut rum

1 1/2 ounces of club soda

1-2 ounces of mango puree

the juice of one lime

To make the mango puree, combine 1 peeled + chopped, ripe mango in a food processor (or high speed blender) with the juice of 1 lime, and process until smooth (or at least almost smooth).

In the bottom of a glass, add 1 ounce of simple syrup and the mint leaves. Muddle with a muddler or use the clean bottom of something blunt, like a screwdriver! Add ice to the glass, and pour rum, syrup, mango puree, lime juice and club soda over top. Mix with a long spoon or knife and serve with an additional sprig of mint.

Note: depending on the sweetness of your fruit, you may want to add more/less simply syrup, so I suggest tasting as you go. Same with the rum – add more if you like your drinks strong. Malibu also makes a mango rum that you could combine with traditional coconut rum.

Coconut Mango Mojitos I howsweeteats.com

*Whoever tells you this is needed in real life is living in a house of lies.

172 Responses to “Coconut Mango Mojitos.”

M. — April 20, 2012 @ 11:05 am

Mmm, I love mojito!

Cassie — April 20, 2012 @ 11:09 am

I almost lived on mojitos last summer and I’m feeling that this summer will be no different after I add mango and coconut. Yum!

Nichole — April 20, 2012 @ 11:09 am

This is fate. Some friends are having and island themed party tomorrow. I am definitely making these!

elizabeth malone — April 20, 2012 @ 11:09 am

Great!

Averie @ Averie Cooks — April 20, 2012 @ 11:13 am

Coconut and mango, perfect in any combo. Especially in mojito form!! It’s 5pm somewhere, right!

Allie@sweetpotatobites — April 20, 2012 @ 11:14 am

this sounds like the perfect after work cocktail to me. coconut rum and mango? does it get any better?

Julia {The Roasted Root} — April 20, 2012 @ 11:17 am

I’ve had the same double take with age boxes….I’m 25, and it seems like a lot of age boxes do the standard 20-24 then 25-29…it’s like stepping into a whole new realm…the late 20s. The way I like to see it, since people are living longer than means we can mature older, so acting like you’re 22 is just no biggy at all. Your mojitos sound glorious! I’d actually like to start my day with one eventhough it’s 8:30 am here. Looks refreshing!

• Jessica — April 20th, 2012 @ 11:19 am

Oh dude, you are SO still in your mid 20s. I played that card until I was 28.

Tiffany Youngren — April 20, 2012 @ 11:17 am

Oh my gosh – yum!!

Tera — April 20, 2012 @ 11:23 am

I’ve gotta give it a try! The real question is did you refill the ice cube tray???

Ashley — April 20, 2012 @ 11:26 am

i was just saying yesterday (when i couldn’t remember how old i was and i had to subtract 1985 from 2012….) that it seems like i just turned 20….like…what the heck! where did all this time go???? mojito looks delish by the way!

Amy @ The Blond Cook — April 20, 2012 @ 11:27 am

Oh my…..going on a trip with some girlfriends this weekend……definitely making these!

• Martrecia — April 21st, 2012 @ 9:59 am

Try having to check the 55 to 59 box them you’ll really need a few of these delicious sounding mojitos!!! In my mind I’m still in my early 20s!! But at this age it’s ok to be forgetful!! LOL!!

Katie @ Veggie and the Beast — April 20, 2012 @ 11:43 am

My immediate response when someone asks me is that I’m 24, but nope, 26…clinging to this last year of my mid twenties with all my might!

On that note, I think I could use a mojito tonight. A mango one.

green beans & grapefruit — April 20, 2012 @ 11:56 am

TGIF, right?? They look delicious!

Tracy — April 20, 2012 @ 12:16 pm

This looks glorious.

Moni Meals — April 20, 2012 @ 12:24 pm

Great! I love a Mojito anything. :)

Carissa — April 20, 2012 @ 12:32 pm

I’m not a huge mojito fan, but with the mango, I think I’ll be in love!

Christine — April 20, 2012 @ 12:35 pm

I love Benefit cosmetics! I have their erase paste, boing!, lemon-aid and their pink highlighting pencil.. all really great products! I’m now obsessed with Make Up Forever powder highlighter, even though I have never used it.. just watched A LOT of make up tutorials on youtube!!

Eireann — April 20, 2012 @ 1:03 pm

Awesome recipe. And I reeeeeally hope that house of lies comment was a nod to “Almost Famous..”
    love your blog!

Taylor — April 20, 2012 @ 1:09 pm

5:00 can’t come soon enough…I want me some mojito!!

Ashley @ Wishes and Dishes — April 20, 2012 @ 1:20 pm

It’s 5:00 somewhere :)

Georgia @ The Comfort of Cooking — April 20, 2012 @ 1:22 pm

Come to mama! This is my absolute favorite drink and you made it even more divine!

Winnie — April 20, 2012 @ 1:25 pm

LOVE MOJITOS! These looks ridiculously good.

Stacy @ Say It With Sprinkles — April 20, 2012 @ 1:54 pm

Coconut, mango, and mint are 3 of my favorite foods in life. one of the other ones is peanut butter, but that wouldn’t be good in this drink at all! So I’m alright with 3/4!

Anne Weber-Falk — April 20, 2012 @ 2:12 pm

I love that movie. It’s one of my favorite scenes. I wouldn’t mind that mojito right now.

Anne Weber-Falk — April 20, 2012 @ 2:15 pm

Oh and just wait…wait until you have to check the last box. Yep, the one on the bottom of the list. I had to do that for the first time this year. It gave me the same feeling as the first time someone called me “ma’am”.

Heather (Heather's Dish) — April 20, 2012 @ 2:27 pm

girl, age ain’t nothing but a number :) but i hate those boxes too…they’re so depressing!

Katrina — April 20, 2012 @ 2:46 pm

I’m in looove! What a fab drink for girls night.

Rachel — April 20, 2012 @ 2:46 pm

I’ve never had a mojito. I feel after reading your recipe that I might be soon addicted.

Adrianna from A Cozy Kitchen — April 20, 2012 @ 2:47 pm

I feel like a child ALL THE TIME. I seriously feel like I’m 24. Getting older is super weird.

Jen @ The Scrumptious Pumpkin — April 20, 2012 @ 2:47 pm

I love tropical flavored drinks (I recently made an ‘Island Escape’ Superfood Smoothie) and I can’t wait to try this! And I completely agree – those age boxes are the worst at reminding you of how fast time flies :)

Karriann — April 20, 2012 @ 3:10 pm

Cheers to that refreshing drink! ;)

“Spice it Up”

Honey What's Cooking — April 20, 2012 @ 3:15 pm

i love coconut and lime and mango = deliciousness.
    i need to buy some of this rum you have… i really need to buy like 3-4 bottles so i can come up with my own concoctions.
    great recipe, thanks for sharing.

Adrienne @ Midwestern Belle — April 20, 2012 @ 3:23 pm

I’m 28 and feel your pain! I’m not ready to be a grown-up. Totally fine shopping at Forever 21…Forever.

sarah — April 20, 2012 @ 5:16 pm

SO excited to try this recipe! I’m 29 as well, for 19 more days. I’m freaking out. Totally. I can’t even comprehend turning 30. At all. Eeek.

Natalie @ Cooking for My Kids — April 20, 2012 @ 5:56 pm

Just wait until you are 38 with 3 amazing kids, a fantastic husband, and swear that you are 25. :) You kind of made me feel old by saying that you are only 29…guess what, though, it is true that your 30s are so much better than your 20s. So, just know that the best is yet to come. Age is only a number. It is all about owning that number with all of the wisdom and happiness that you continue to acquire through the years.

I do think that I need one of these mojitos to celebrate that it is FRIDAY!!

Stacy T — April 20, 2012 @ 6:27 pm

Wait until you stare down the barrel of 46….. Ugh. How do you get such square ice cubes???? Me wanna know!

Denise — April 20, 2012 @ 6:31 pm

Hmmmm…. and it is now the weekend…. I love your timing!

Raquel — April 20, 2012 @ 6:33 pm

I have to try this mojito! I looove mojitos, and I loooove coconut!!!

Raquel

Quiche-ing Queen — April 20, 2012 @ 7:35 pm

Perfect for the weekend. Mojitos are my go to. Great flavor combo.

Luv What You Do — April 20, 2012 @ 8:34 pm

Just wait for 30, it’s an entirely different box to check.
    Great looking beverage. I could use one after the week I’ve had!!!

Julie — April 20, 2012 @ 8:39 pm

House of lies, huh? Believe it or not, there are people in the world wo do actually use econ every day in their real lives. Now if you’ll excuse me, I just finished a long week in the currency derivatives market and could really use a drink.

vingleburt wingeldank — April 20, 2012 @ 10:15 pm

Duuuuuuude… I’m turning 35 this July, and this past like…let’s say february… I was taking a survey for starbucks and their survey answers were like 18-34…

34…?

What the heck? I thought it was 18-35. That’s really uncool, Starbucks.

So, whatevs, I’m throwing myself a birthday party in the theme of “Now I’m Culturally Irrelevant and Can Do Whatever I Want.”

I’m thinking bell bottoms might be involved. And lots of Bee Gees.
    And now mojitos. Thanks. :)

Lazy Budget Chef — April 20, 2012 @ 10:33 pm

You are my hero. Pure and simple.

MeLissa Rocco — April 20, 2012 @ 11:35 pm

I’m going to have to go grab some coconut rum now. I have a white chocolate mango mojito in my product list and I want to try it with the coconut…for uh, you know, my customers and all. I shall be their guinea pig….does that still work as an excuse if I drink more than one? :)

And as far as the age thing, I’m approaching 40 and, honestly, I can’t fathom that I’m a year over 25. I finally understand why parents drive their children crazy acting like they’re still young…because they don’t feel as old as they truly are.

Cate — April 21, 2012 @ 4:57 am

He he, I can totally relate to that! Wait until you have to check the 30 box, then things really get interesting! Fortunately mojitos taste the same regardless of age and these look absolutely stunning. My 30 year old butt is definitely making these before the weekend is over!

nancy — April 21, 2012 @ 10:09 am

Wait till you are checking the box for 63!and you still feel 35!!!

Shelley — April 21, 2012 @ 11:17 am

LOL, I just turned 50, and I can totally empathize with how weird it is to be checking boxes… Now I have to learn how to check a different box altogether! That will be you next year :-) Let’s both celebrate with another mojito!!!

Cookie and Kate — April 21, 2012 @ 11:17 am

Drool, giggle, repeat. I’m 26 and recently encountered a similar checkbox. I think the range was 26-34 or something. I was like… ew. I don’t like this. This mojito would have made it all better, though, that’s for sure. I have recipes for cherry mojitos and peach mojitos on my blog but I never thought of mango and coconut! Genius!

Katie @ OhShineOn — April 21, 2012 @ 11:53 am

Mmmmm I love mojitos. So so so good. Luckily, I don’t have to deal with this problems yet… Just those pertaining to drunk college kids, senior seminar papers, and unpaid internships.

Lisa | With Style and Grace — April 21, 2012 @ 12:04 pm

you have no idea just how bad I want this right now. and yes, it only 9am.