Yesterday I had a moment.

Coconut Mango Mojitos I howsweeteats.com

I had to check a box. With pen and paper. You know, like a box that said 18-24, 25-34, etc? Pertaining to one’s age? Well this box was slightly different, and it said 20-29. I looked at it and was like… oh, 29… that’s weird. That 9 sure does look weird there. Why does 29 look so weird? I don’t like looking at 29. I’m feeling uncomfortable.

Hmmm. Hold the phone. I am 29. This is weird. It’s so weird that I can’t stop saying it’s weird. What’s happening?

I’ve never been one to think or ever care about ages, but then I saw this 29 and seriously, what.the.heck. ????  It threw me off a little bit. Was I really 19 ten whole years ago? Because I’m pretty sure it feels like just yesterday that I was failing economics* and changing my major 43 times.

So I made mojitos. I had almost three. Wanted to act like I was 22 again and forget that I spent an outrageous amount of money on Benefit erase paste yesterday in order to… erase things on my face. It worked.

The mojitos, not the paste.

Coconut Mango Mojitos I howsweeteats.com

Coconut Mango Mojitos

[slightly adapted from my triple berry mojitos]

makes 1 mojito, but is easily quadrupled

6-8 fresh mint leaves

2 1/2 ounces of mint simple syrup

1 ounce of coconut rum

1 1/2 ounces of club soda

1-2 ounces of mango puree

the juice of one lime

To make the mango puree, combine 1 peeled + chopped, ripe mango in a food processor (or high speed blender) with the juice of 1 lime, and process until smooth (or at least almost smooth).

In the bottom of a glass, add 1 ounce of simple syrup and the mint leaves. Muddle with a muddler or use the clean bottom of something blunt, like a screwdriver! Add ice to the glass, and pour rum, syrup, mango puree, lime juice and club soda over top. Mix with a long spoon or knife and serve with an additional sprig of mint.

Note: depending on the sweetness of your fruit, you may want to add more/less simply syrup, so I suggest tasting as you go. Same with the rum – add more if you like your drinks strong. Malibu also makes a mango rum that you could combine with traditional coconut rum.

Coconut Mango Mojitos I howsweeteats.com

*Whoever tells you this is needed in real life is living in a house of lies.

172 Responses to “Coconut Mango Mojitos.”

Krissy's Creations — April 21, 2012 @ 12:33 pm

omg i’ve been craving mojitos. Mainly just the club soda, mint, and sugar :).

amanda — April 21, 2012 @ 1:43 pm

Oh my gosh those look amazing! It’s not too early in the day to have one is it? :)

Ann — April 21, 2012 @ 2:03 pm

Good thing I bought a new mint plant while in TX last week – mine didn’t survive the winter. Now if only I had a mango tree… *sigh*…

Heidi — April 21, 2012 @ 2:16 pm

I’m making strawberry ones tonight with strawberries we picked yesterday!! Yum!

Leah — April 21, 2012 @ 3:03 pm

Oh boy, these look like they could help cure all of life’s little problems. They scream summertime and patios! Can’t wait to make them :)!

DessertForTwo — April 21, 2012 @ 4:28 pm

I hear, I really do. BUT, step back and look at all you’ve accomplished at 29. Now, remember how awkward you were at 19? Remember college parties, playing the ‘I like him, but I don’t want him to think I’m needy so I’m going to pretend I don’t like him, but only sometimes?’ Yeah. Not fun.

I can’t wait to turn 30. I want to celebrate and say goodbye to my awkward 20s.

idiosyncratic eye — April 21, 2012 @ 7:25 pm

Sigh, we’re getting old. Oh and by the way, I like the patterns in your ice cubes. Because I notice funny things like that. And then comment on them! ;)

Jill M — April 21, 2012 @ 8:49 pm

I had to smile at this post as I too have never really cared about ages, especially mine, but recently had a very similar moment myself. However my number is 49 which goes bye bye next month. This one hurts and I am not sure where the last 30 years went. So I am going to go down several mojitos ;0

Whitney @ Whit Likes Fit — April 21, 2012 @ 9:41 pm

I’m 29 for 8 more days. Then I’m 30. That’s going to be a weird number to look at.

MikeVFMK — April 21, 2012 @ 9:45 pm

Seriously? I don’t mind 29. I could probably have 29 of these on a really hot day. Or a mild one. Looks amazing as usual.

Bee — April 21, 2012 @ 11:56 pm

Ooh what a great summer cocktail! It’s like pina cooladas and mojitos had a delicious lovechild!

Mallory — April 22, 2012 @ 7:26 am

I am in the same boat with the age thing…as are a lot of my friends of the same age. We are not freaked out about getting older but freaked out that it somehow sneaked up on us (or is it snuck up on?). Any who… Why does 29 feel so much older than 27 or 28? It is nice to find that others are thinking the same way as I! Was 19 really ten years ago?!? I need a drink.

Mandy — April 22, 2012 @ 8:57 am

You are so me! It is freaking me out that I graduated 10 years ago. What did I seriously do for an entire decade?! It blows my mind that the kids graduating this spring were only 8 years old when I graduated. Sheesh

These look too delicious and definitely in order for me to contemplate my quasi mid-life crisis ;)

Veronica — April 22, 2012 @ 12:46 pm

Jessica, I seriously keep waiting to run into you around town! I’m always at the Eastside Trader Joe’s, and I was in the Shadyside Sephora on Friday having a concealer crisis. I have the Benefit Hello Flawless, which I love, so maybe I should give the erase paste a try. I spent waay too much on Diorskin, which did nothing to cover up my permanent dark circles (thanks mom), and even my oblivious husband said I looked worse than normal (thanks husband!). So back it goes.

Lori — April 22, 2012 @ 7:57 pm

A house of lies? You crack me up.

green beans & grapefruit — April 22, 2012 @ 11:10 pm

This looks refreshing! Thanks for sharing!

Erin — April 23, 2012 @ 7:00 am

I was ok with 29, I was even ok with 30 (probs because I was in Florida watching dolphins jump out of the water whilst enjoying bday lunch!!) BUT I HATE looking at/say 31! UGH it’s no good! Maybe it’s the 1 part I don’t like….HHMMMM

Meg @ Peaches and Cake — April 23, 2012 @ 7:46 am

ahh i’ve been dying for you to make calzones thank you!! i am making these ASAP!!

Ann — April 23, 2012 @ 11:43 am

That looks incredible! Have no fear – the 30s and 40s are GREAT! I barely remember 29!

Heather of Kitchen Concoctions — April 23, 2012 @ 11:52 pm

I literally had a screaming break down because I *thought* I found a single grey hair yesterday. The key word *thought* because it really was just a blonde hair (or this is the lie I have convinced myself). BTW, I love the last pic! That ice looks so beautiful! Wink. Wink.

Candice — April 24, 2012 @ 10:06 am

You think 29 is weird, what till you get to 36 and go… “What the hell?”

Love the blog BTW!

LP @dishclips — May 1, 2012 @ 12:34 am

This looks very refreshing and great for a warm day. Thanks for sharing!

Kendall Bajek — May 17, 2012 @ 10:57 am

Mojitos are my favorite summertime drink, and I like this coconut mango spin on the classic. I will be trying this out!

Joan | Rossendale — May 18, 2012 @ 6:16 am

Funny how the numbers creep up whilst you’re having fun.

juliemarg — May 23, 2012 @ 3:04 pm

very nice for the summer!!

Em — July 19, 2012 @ 3:28 pm

Try ebay for your erase paste. You’ll spend less than 1/2 the $. I love that stuff!… and 30′s not so bad!

Mary @ Veganishy — April 10, 2013 @ 9:00 am

OMG, cannot wait to try this – been looking for a mango mojito recipe and you just made it perfect with coconut – yum!

social marketing strategy — July 16, 2013 @ 9:10 am

Thanks a lot for sharing this nice websites.

Mark Behee — February 19, 2014 @ 12:05 am

Thanks for sharing! I love coconut mojitos. Hadn’t thought of mixing in mango. Clearing time on Saturday’s calendar….

Lara — February 21, 2014 @ 2:53 pm

I’m 29…for another 6 days, then …it gets worse. I can definitely understand where you’re coming from! It sounds like these mojitos are something I need to enjoy while I’m still in my 20′s.

Ana — April 26, 2014 @ 5:08 am