Chewy cookies without butter? …. you don’t say.

I was skeptical.

Really skeptical.

I was scared. Or better yet: scuuuuurrrred.

But then I sampled quite a bit of dough. And my fears suddenly subsided. Weird.

What is it about coconut that makes it so… springy? Springy as in like, the season. Not as in an actual spring. You know.

Is it an Easter thing? Mother Lovett always made a coconut cake or an orange coconut cake around this time too. It must just be a life thing. Like one of those really important pieces of information that your mind collects along the way.

Either way, I don’t really care. I flip for coconut.

I had no idea if the whole I’m-out-of-butter-but-let’s-put-coconut-oil-in-cookies idea would turn out. The thought had rolled around in my brain for quite some time, but… it seemed a tad too good to be true. But I love when I’m wrong. Sort of?

These cookies came out lovely – soft and chewy, a hint of coconut, a bite of melty chocolate… and the perfect size for snack popping. I don’t discriminate when it comes to cookies – sometimes I crave thin and crispy while other times it’s soft and chewy. These = soft and chewy.

Plus, they’re obviously mini. That’s another life thing: mini things don’t count calorically. Luckily I gathered this knowledge long ago.

Mini Coconut Chocolate Chip Cookies

[slightly adapted from giant rainbow cookies]

makes 40 mini cookies

3/4 cup coconut oil (measured solid), melted and slightly cooled

1 cup loosely packed brown sugar

1/3 cup granulated sugar

1 large egg + 1 large egg yolk

2 teaspoons vanilla extract

1/4 teaspoon coconut extract

2 cups all-purpose flour

1/2 teaspoon baking soda

1/4 teaspoon salt

2/3 cups shredded coconut

2/3 cup mini chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.

In a large bowl, whisk together melted coconut oil and sugars. Let sit for 15 minutes. Whisk in egg, egg yolk and extracts, mixing until completely smooth. If any brown sugar chunks remain, I simply pounded them with my whisk and kept stirring! Add in 1/2 cup flour, baking soda and soda, stirring to combine. Add remaining flour 1/2 cup at a time, stirring to bring it together. It may seem crumbly, but continue to stir and even use your hands. It will come together. Finally, fold in coconut and chocolate chips.

Take 1 to 1 1/2 tablespoons of dough and roll it into a ball, placing it on a nonstick baking sheet. Place dough about 1-2 inches away from each other. Bake for 7-8 minutes, or until just set. Let cool completely.

Note: you can leave out the coconut extract if desired. You can also make these as normal sized cookies.

I love cookies.

155 Responses to “Mini Coconut Chocolate Chip Cookies.”

Kristen @ notsodomesticated — April 4, 2012 @ 7:04 am

My mom actually puts shredded coconut in all of her chocolate chip cookies, believe it or not. She thinks the coconut helps keep them soft, and they don’t have much coconut flavor when it’s just the shredded coconut. This recipe reminds me of her. :)

• Jessica — April 4th, 2012 @ 7:12 am

Oh interesting! I can totally see how that would help keep them soft. I wish I could do that buuuuut… my husband hates coconut.

Becki's Whole Life — April 4, 2012 @ 7:04 am

Wow – what a great idea. I would never have thought to bake with coconut oil – you’re so smart:-). They look super moist, too! The other thing is that coconut oil is supposed to be great for you so they are kinda healthy…as far a cookie goes. I have the TJ’s coconut oil too and I haven’t made anything with it. I will have to try these!

Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles — April 4, 2012 @ 7:04 am

I love mini. I love coconut. I love chocolate. I love cookies.
    This may be an A+ for this girl!

Kim in MD — April 4, 2012 @ 7:08 am

Yum! I love cookies, too, and these look especially delicious (with or without the butter)!

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey — April 4, 2012 @ 7:13 am

Coconut oil in baked goods is by far the best thing ever – mainly because coconut oil cures everything. Yup, it sure does. (not really, but I’d like to think so)

Jessica L. — April 4, 2012 @ 7:15 am

I’m kind of obsessed with coconut lately, and I think these look amazing enough to get me to jump on the coconut oil bandwagon!

Katrina — April 4, 2012 @ 7:18 am

Mmm chewy cookie goodness!

Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers — April 4, 2012 @ 7:22 am

I love this recipe! I have to make these! Why does work have to get in the way? I am on such a coconut kick lately!!! Yum, yum!!

Simply Life — April 4, 2012 @ 7:27 am

i agree- mini always means “eat more” :)

living the sweet life — April 4, 2012 @ 7:27 am

Looks delicious…. Coconut is totally a warmer weather thing, it reminds me of sipping cocktails on a patio :)

Cait's Plate — April 4, 2012 @ 7:49 am

Interesting! This is good to know for next time I’m out of butter!

Also – I’m totally with you on the not discriminating against cookies thing. I’ll take ‘em in all shapes and sizes…happily :)

Natalie @ Cooking for My Kids — April 4, 2012 @ 7:54 am

I love anything mini…especially cookies. :)

Abby Flynt — April 4, 2012 @ 7:55 am

Oh man these look amazing!

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat — April 4, 2012 @ 7:59 am

I’ve gone from hating coconut to wanting to like it for its health benefits to actually really liking it (well, at least I think so!) These look so cute, and I like how you think with respect to mini things and caloric value! ;)

• Jessica — April 4th, 2012 @ 9:53 am

I love that you like it now!

Pure2raw twins — April 4, 2012 @ 8:10 am

yes! love baking with coconut oil

Villy @ For the love of Feeding — April 4, 2012 @ 8:10 am

“mini things don’t count calorically”. :D
    Unless you have 10 of them.. (which I would if I had those cookies!)

Julie @Savvy Eats — April 4, 2012 @ 8:10 am

These are cute and sound delicious– a winner in my book!

Ashley @ Simply Creative Things — April 4, 2012 @ 8:12 am

I find it hard to believe you were out of butter! But this recipe came out of it – so I’m thankful :)

• Jessica — April 4th, 2012 @ 9:53 am

Ugh, it happens so often. Mainly because my mind is just a cluttered mess.

Maryea {Happy Healthy Mama} — April 4, 2012 @ 8:15 am

I love baking with coconut oil! These look perfect–soft and chewy is definitely my cookie preference.

Brianne @ Cupcakes & Kale Chips — April 4, 2012 @ 8:21 am

I love the hint of coconut that coconut oil gives.

Kayle @ The Cooking Actress — April 4, 2012 @ 8:28 am

OMG. I literally just made (non-mini) chocolate chip cookies with coconut oil yesterday. How did you knooow?

Amy W — April 4, 2012 @ 8:30 am

Over the past year I have become utterly OBSESSED with coconut. You rock.

Amanda at the red table — April 4, 2012 @ 8:33 am

I’m SO in the mood for chocolate chips cookies today. And coconut. Good call!

Nina — April 4, 2012 @ 8:50 am

Someone else said they went from hating coconut to loving it. Seriously. This is me. I used to hate it and now I am thinking how did I live so long without sweet coconut in my life? These look delicious and I love that they are mini. I want some now!

• Jessica — April 4th, 2012 @ 9:52 am

I’m hoping my husband one day turns that corner.

Liz @ Tip Top Shape — April 4, 2012 @ 8:53 am

These look great!! Huge coconut lover here!

kelley @mountainmamacooks — April 4, 2012 @ 8:53 am

The coconut oil is such a great idea! These look delicious. I do love a good chewy cookie!

The Mrs @ Success Along the Weigh — April 4, 2012 @ 8:56 am

I haven’t quite jumped on the coconut oil bandwagon yet…this might’ve nudged me.

shelly (cookies and cups) — April 4, 2012 @ 9:10 am

Mini cookies are from the devil. Somehow the small size makes it ok to eat thrice as many. Yes, I said thrice.

sally @ sally's baking addiction — April 4, 2012 @ 9:10 am

i need to buy me some coconut oil. not sure what i’ve been waiting for! these cookies are adorable. and i’m, without a doubt, your #1 fan of your rainbow m&m cookies. i SWEAR by the recipe! PS: mini cookies = permission to eat more.

Ashley — April 4, 2012 @ 9:10 am

Coconut oil obsessed over here! :)

Brittnee — April 4, 2012 @ 9:13 am

I really want to try these, but I can’t find Coconut Oil at my local grocery store so instead I’ll use butter and add in some coconut extract :).

• Brittnee — April 4th, 2012 @ 9:14 am

Ha, I see you already did that…must have just skipped over that part when I was reading.

Katie — April 4, 2012 @ 9:23 am

I love that your obsessed with coconut…me too…it seems it’s hard to find other coconut lovers out there sometimes…my boyfriend also HATES coconut..guess i’ll have to eat them all myself :)

Maria — April 4, 2012 @ 9:24 am

I’ve never tried coconut oil! What is wrong with me? I love coconut! I WILL be trying these!

• Jessica — April 4th, 2012 @ 9:51 am

What! That blows my mind! You must try. Josh should also make some sort of seafood with it – that’s one of our favorite ways to cook it and we love the flavor.

Hilliary @Brunch&Cupcakes — April 4, 2012 @ 9:24 am

Since they are mini does this mean I can eat more? These look delicious!

Betsy — April 4, 2012 @ 9:49 am

Drooool. I flip for coconut too. And minis. This is my dream come true :)

stacy t — April 4, 2012 @ 9:49 am

mini means less calories and you can eat more right? right????!!!! hellllllllo……. :)

kristi — April 4, 2012 @ 9:58 am

Can you STOP?! Gah!

Lauren — April 4, 2012 @ 10:03 am

I love your blog – it is a must read every day! Its rare to have cookies last longer than a day or two, but…any good tips for keeping soft and chewy cookies well, soft and chewy? Thanks so much!

• Jessica — April 4th, 2012 @ 10:25 am

We rarely have them last longer than a day or 2 (because they get eaten) but I find that letting them cool completely then putting them in a ziplock bag is what works for me. However, my grandma used to put them in a huge tupperware container (like a 9×13, layered with plastic wrap) then put some slices of bread in there! You will be amazed at how the cookies suck the moisture out of the bread.

Chris — April 4, 2012 @ 10:04 am

Yes, yes, YES!! Coconut oil…plus shredded coconut (but only unsweetened here)…plus coconut extract…..and I will be making my gluten-free version with a little coconut FLOUR, too!!! Oh, the temptation!!!

If you luuuuuuv coconut oil, you REALLY must try making popcorn with it! The ONLY way I make it now! Ah…..I swoon…….

Lauren — April 4, 2012 @ 10:09 am

Coconut oil in cookies is basically the bomb dot com.

Megan {Country Cleaver} — April 4, 2012 @ 10:18 am

No butter? Say it’s not so! But if there were ever an understudy for butter, man am I glad it’s coconut oil. I can just imagine these are like little Almond Joy-esque cookies. Gah, I needz all the cookiez!!

Allison — April 4, 2012 @ 10:21 am

HAH! I love the irony that these ‘mini cookies’ are adapted from your ‘giant rainbow cookies’ recipe! They look deeeelish!

Gina @ Running to the Kitchen — April 4, 2012 @ 10:40 am

I looooove the coconut + chocolate combo. I’m still trying to find the perfect coconut flour chocolate chip cookie recipe (that darn stuff is so difficult to work with!) but these are a perfect middle ground :)

Kati @ The Ivey League — April 4, 2012 @ 10:49 am

I might have to make these for our Easter family get-together =) If they make it out of the house…

Courtney @ Bake.Eat.Repeat. — April 4, 2012 @ 10:58 am

These are right up my alley. Too bad most of my family despises coconut (they’ve been deceived). Oh well, since they’re mini I can probably eat the whole batch, right?

Averie @ Averie Cooks — April 4, 2012 @ 11:05 am

These look so delicious, Jessica! I have soooo much coconut oil on hand and am always looks for fun new recipes to use it in. Good to know that even though you used melted coconut oil, the cookies didn’t spread like crazy. It’s that whole creamed vs.melted butter, solid-ish vs. melted coconut oil food science thing and you don’t know til you try, right? And glad you tried and did the legwork for all of us :)

Allie@sweetpotatobites — April 4, 2012 @ 11:13 am

that’s such a great idea using coconut oil instead of butter – and chocolate and coconut are two of my favorite things, so naturally i will be making these.

Bianca @ Confessions of a Chocoholic — April 4, 2012 @ 11:24 am

I love chewy cookies, especially ones with chocolate chips. And orange coconut cake sound pretty perfect too.

Jill @ Miss Delish — April 4, 2012 @ 11:43 am

I LOVE it when things are mini and don’t count towards my daily calorie intake! Beautiful recipe as usual, Jessica!

Chelsy — April 4, 2012 @ 11:54 am

Ahhhhh I have been on a coconut binger lately…which isn’t far from the usual. I’m pretty much obsessed and I absolutely love using coconut oil in place of butter when I have a shortage, makes everything so irresistibly coconutty! Yes, my mother taught me that mini things don’t count in terms of calories…my favorite mini snack is popcorn…because you can eat the whole bag and it doesn’t count, right? Yes!

1 2 3

1. Pingback: | Cabin Goddess

2. Pingback: Reading List — Savvy Eats

3. Pingback: gluten free healthy Easter recipe ideas — pure2raw

4. Pingback: Coconut Chocolate Chip Cookies | OhMyGoodyGoodness

5. Pingback: Mini Coconut Chocolate Chip Cookies | Killer Bunnies, Inc

6. Pingback: Mini Coconut Chocolate Chip Cookies « Let's Spice Things Up in Vegas

7. Pingback: Bake with Me | Hoping in God

8. Pingback: The Return of the Food Blogger Bake Sale and Chewy Toasted Coconut and Dark Chocolate Chunk Cookies

9. Pingback: In Search of the Perfect Cookie « cynthesizing food and fun

10. Pingback: In Search of the Perfect Cookie « cynthesizing food and fun

11. Pingback: Coconut Oatmeal Chocolate Chips Cookies | From the Little Yellow Kitchen

12. Pingback: Beyond Hunger | Bumble & Vine

13. Pingback: Butterless Cookies | Cookin' Up Life

14. Pingback: Coconut Muffins | Hungry Healthy Happy

15. Pingback: Coconut Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies | Lifestyle Pins

16. Pingback: What Are You Baking For The Holiday Season? | Lifestyle Pins

17. Pingback: National Cookie Day! | Barr & Table

18. Pingback: Chewy Coconut Oatmeal Cookies | Coconut Cookie Recipe | Two Peas & Their Pod

19. Pingback: {vegan} Coconut Chocolate Chip Cookies | Hungry Healthy Happy

20. Pingback: some food I’ve been eating | Natalie Needs a Napkin

21. Pingback: Coconut Chocolate Chip Cookies

22. Pingback: Saturday morning memories |

23. Pingback: Mini Coconut Chocolate Chip Cookies | Tracey's Culinary Adventures

24. Pingback: The Great Food Blogger Cookie Swap 2014: Peppermint Bark Snickerdoodles | Julie Goes Healthy