There is only one thing worse than you having to stare through the screen at these cookies.

And that’s listening to me talk about how incredible they taste.

Or… I guess it COULD be worse – I could remind you for the 3700th time that the only way the peanut butter + chocolate combo (aka life itself) gets better is by adding banana, but whatever. I wouldn’t want to bore you.

But obviously, these cookies do contain three of my favorite things in the universe. I baked them in the morning, which meant that I ate cookies for a very balanced lunch and dinner. Oh, and three snacks.

… or four.

I tried my traditional sneak: leaving them on the counter for when my husband got home from work, in the hopes that he – the man who doesn’t love banana baked goods because he only eats bright GREEN bananas (dubyu tee eff?) – would pick one up and take a big bite. But my wife sense failed me and even though I lied when he asked “what’s in those cookies?” (“um, nothing. just chocolate chips. YOUR FAVORITE.”), I eventually caved because he just wasn’t taking the bait. Which meant he never took a bite. Which meant we had cookies for days. Which meant by late Saturday night I threw the last two in the trash (ziplock bag intact) then found myself fishing one out Sunday afternoon.

Hallllllp me.

There is one big major giant deal to note: these cookies are not cakey. Many moons ago I made some traditional banana chocolate chip cookies, and more often than not, cookies with banana come out fairly cake-like. No sir, not these. They are soft, but still have some chew. They stay soft for eons, or at least for the 16 hours they remain in your house before complete and total domination.

Peanut Butter Banana Chocolate Chip Cookies

[adapted from giant rainbow cookies]

makes about 18-20 cookies

2 cups + 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour

1/2 teaspoon baking soda

1/4 teaspoon salt

8 tablespoons of unsalted butter, melted and cooled

6 tablespoons of creamy peanut butter, melted and cooled

1 cup loosely packed brown sugar

1/2 cup granulated sugar

1 egg yolk, at room temperature

2 teaspoons vanilla extract

1 1/2 ripe medium bananas, mashed

1 1/4 cups milk chocolate chips
Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.

Mix the flour, salt and baking soda in a bowl and set aside. In another large bowl, whisk together cooled peanut butter and butter with both sugars until combined. Whisk in egg yolk and vanilla extract until smooth. Add in the mashed banana and mix until combined – mixture will not be smooth. Gradually add in the dry ingredients, mixing with a large spoon until a dough forms – I even use my hands to bring it together sometimes. Fold in chocolate chips.

Shape the dough into the size of a golfball (or size of your choice) and place on a nonstick baking sheet about 2 inches apart from each other. Bake for 10-12 minutes, until the edges are golden and the middles are puffy – do not overbake! Let cool completely then dig in. I suggest letting these cool completely before storing them in a sealed container or bag, and they will stay very soft because of the banana.

Next time I’m adding bacon because then these cookies will house all of my favorite things and be like, a complete meal.

207 Responses to “Peanut Butter Banana Chocolate Chip Cookies.”

Mai — September 4, 2013 @ 11:35 am

Omg I love your blog and this cookie recipe looks amazing ! Im thinking of baking them tomorrow morning for my high school friends. Would you mind telling me whether this recipe require refrigerating before putting them in the oven since most comments mentioned how the cookie wont flatten? Thank you so much :D

lindsay — September 19, 2013 @ 2:39 pm

I hope you weren’t kidding about adding the bacon, because I am actually doing that.

Marika — September 22, 2013 @ 5:16 pm

i’m not sure how anyone could comment that these cookies were bland. They were fantastic! I made them for a group of teenage girls who thought they were delicious, and my kids love them, too. I ate so much of the dough (tisk, tisk) that I got a bit queasy! Thanks for the recipe…I had everything on hand and they were simple to make. Such a nice alternative to banana bread!

niccii — September 25, 2013 @ 3:12 pm

OMG The best!! I Did switch things up just a bit.

6 T Butter & 8 T of Peanut butter (switched)
    Made a double batch and did half chocolate chip & half butterscotch
    1 cup Walnuts
    350 for 15 minutes and a really nice crispy exterior and a nice gooey center!!

BIG THANKS!!! I am making one more double batch to freeze in individual balls …hopefully this way wont eat them all!

Shilpa — October 18, 2013 @ 1:28 am

my first howsweeteats disappointment!!

My cookies did not spread out at all. The cooling of butter may not be necessary since it seems a lot of people are having this problem. Additionally, I didn’t feel the balance of flavors was right for me- i didn’t taste any peanut butter, and the banana tasted overly sweet-almost rotten, even though I used a fresh banana. I wish I knew the secret to making these work out! They are just not going to cut it as is.

Snickerdoodle — October 19, 2013 @ 3:57 pm

Absolutely love the recipe! Made two batches for all my friends and coworkers and it was a hit! So much so that I had to direct them to your page. Thanks for the yummies!

Meagan — December 21, 2013 @ 5:50 pm

I’ve been making these cookies for months. They’re my husband’s favorite! I tend to over-do it on the banana so the dough gets pretty runny. I’ve added oatmeal to it to dry it out some. I call it breakfast in a cookie. :-) and I don’t feel bad about giving it to my one year old.

Amy — January 4, 2014 @ 10:39 pm

Just made a batch of these with my boyfriend, oh boy are they delicious!!
    We were worried because our first test batch came out brown, looked like they had been over-baked, but one bite and oh goodness! It was a magical moment that they were so good and soft even though they looked crispy. They do seem cake-ier than the original, so maybe gonna try more banana, more butter, less flour, something. Switching the butter and peanut butter might be nice, I will have to try it myself.

Thank you very much for this recipe, the cookies are delicious!

Oh, almost forgot, try this: take a bite of cookie, then a bite of a strawberry.
    O. M. G. Mouth-gasm.

Brenda Hawkins — February 7, 2014 @ 7:43 am

I made these last night, I used half whole wheat flour, raw sugar instead of white and added a bit of cinnamon, they were a HIT! Even my mom who doesn’t like bananas had one. Will be making these again!

Stephanie — February 12, 2014 @ 6:55 pm

I made a half batch of these this week and did had a few differences, I wonder if you can help? I left my cookies in more a little over 14 minutes and they came out light golden on the bottom, but the tops almost looked under cooked. They were pretty soft and I couldn’t really taste the peanut butter over the banana.

Here are the differences or variables i think could have affected my half batch:
    I used a stand mixer, should I not?
    I mixed it on high at some points
    I used a whole banana instead of .75
    I used cooled, natural (little oily) smooth unsalted peanut butter
    I let the butter sit on the counter to soften
    The egg yolk may have been cooler than room temperature
    I used the oven at 325, did not use the convection setting

I am wondering if I could try the recipe with all peanut butter instead of butter, and was thinking of trying it with a chopped up dark chocolate bacon bar. I want the cookies to be firmer and cook a little more golden. Any suggestions would be appreciated! Thanks!

Two&1/2Tablespoons — March 8, 2014 @ 3:04 pm

I made these a couple ights ago with a few adaptions (I wanted a thick, softer cookie as apposed to a more chewy one and a slightly stronger peanutbutter flavour – you can see it here: http://twoandahalftablespoons.tumblr.com/post/78971965937/peanutbutter-banana-cookies-with-triple-chocolate)
    and they were a total hit! :D I stuffed mine with peanutbutter-stuffed chocolate easter eggs rolled in nutella for a little more zest and they came out soo delicious – thanks for the recipe!

Kalpana — March 9, 2014 @ 1:38 am

Just made these cookies. The entire family loved them. I am planning on making them again.

• geraldine — June 16th, 2014 @ 4:21 pm

I just made them today, these are the best!

Alex — June 29, 2014 @ 12:21 pm

I just made these. The dough was way too sticky to be made into balls so I added whole wheat flour. They stayed really puffy when baking and even after cooling. But they smell great. I have to wait for sundown to try one but can’t wait.

Elizabeth — November 15, 2014 @ 11:06 pm

I have honestly made these cookies a solid 3 or 4 times already…and making them again tonight. I may have a problem.