I’ve made you lunch!

Pecan Crusted Chicken Wraps with Strawberry Honey Mustard I howsweeteats.com

But just so we’re clear: if you ever show up on my doorstop hoping for lunch? I will probably greet you with a bowl of crackers or jelly beans and then force you to taste test bits and pieces of the five or so recipes (which could totally be like, chocolate and tuna… TOGETHER) I’m testing at the moment. At least crackers and jelly beans are the going April rate. It will change.

But today is different. This week I’ve actually eaten a normal person lunch which says a lot since I am a not so normal person. Can we talk about how many restaurants have pecan crusted chicken salads? I’m going with a million. You know, because I don’t exaggerate. Wouldn’t want to inflate the number or anything. Because there are a ton of freaking restaurants that have pecan crusted chicken salads on their menus.

Pecan Crusted Chicken Wraps with Strawberry Honey Mustard I howsweeteats.com

And by now you know the drill: my favorite… “salads”… are the ones that include a lot of non-salad ingredients piled on top of something similar to a handful of shredded butter lettuce. As long as the salad includes cheese, some form of candied nuts, fruit, hard-boiled egg wedges and specifically… french fries… I am sold. A salad eater by default, if you will.

Pecan Crusted Chicken Wraps with Strawberry Honey Mustard I howsweeteats.com

So after eating said pecan crusted chicken salad for lunch one day, I decided I was making my own pecan crusted chicken and stuffing it inside a tortilla. Putting my foot down! I also mashed up some strawberries then combined them with mustard and honey, which may sound completely absurd to your ears… but I live and die for mustard. Oh and speaking of living and dying, did you know that in my high school yearbook I listed Tupac’s To Live and Die in L.A. as one of my favorite songs? I was a real winner. Of course you didn’t know that because even I am attempting to forget.

Horrifying… to say the least.

Pecan Crusted Chicken Wraps with Strawberry Honey Mustard I howsweeteats.com

The best part is that you can do whatever the heck you want with your pecan crusted chicken. Make your own fancy restaurant-like salad (don’t forget the fries), put it on pizza (weird?), make a quesadilla (cheeeeeese), turn it into chicken finger dippers (cute), add it to pasta (cream sauce please) or serve it plain with some cinnamon sweet potatoes (boring… but I love you).

We loved the combination of the crunchy chicken with some sweet fruit and tangy mustard, and this can easily be a make-ahead meal. I even served it to my husband who dislikes pecans (or so he claims), and when he asked what was on the chicken I cried out “oh you know… panko!… and other things…” As usual, it wasn’t until after he had consumed his entire meal and I threw out the question of “sooo how was it?” With his response – “really, really good!” – I casually mentioned that the entire chicken was covered in pecans. Gets him every time.

Pecan Crusted Chicken Wraps with Strawberry Honey Mustard I howsweeteats.com

Pecan Crusted Chicken Wraps

makes 4 wraps

2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts

1 1/4 cups ground/finely chopped pecans

1/4 cup flour (I used whole wheat pastry)

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/2 teaspoon pepper

1/4 teaspoon cinnamon

2 egg whites

4 large whole wheat tortillas

4 strawberries, sliced

1/2 avocado, chopped

1 11-ounce can of mandarin oranges, drained

butter lettuce for wraps

3 tablespoons dijon mustard

3 tablespoons honey

Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil then place a wire rack over top. Spray the rack with nonstick spray.

In a bowl, mix together pecans, flour, salt, pepper and cinnamon. In another bowl, whisk together egg whites until frothy. Dip each piece of chicken into the egg whites, coating completely, then dredge through the pecan mixture, covering the chicken and pressing gently to adhere. Place the chicken on the wire rack, the spray with canola oil or olive oil spray until coated. Bake for 15 minutes, then gently flip (if coating doesn’t seem to be sticking, you don’t have to flip) and bake for 15 minutes more. Remove and let cool slightly, then cut into pieces.

While chicken is cooking, take two of the sliced strawberries and mash in a bowl with a fork. Add in dijon mustard and honey, stirring to combine. Spread some of the honey mustard in the center of each wrap. Top with butter lettuce, chicken pieces strawberries, avocado and oranges, then roll up. Serve!

Pecan Crusted Chicken Wraps with Strawberry Honey Mustard I howsweeteats.com

I hope you brought dessert.

90 Responses to “Pecan Crusted Chicken Wraps with Strawberry Honey Mustard.”

Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers — April 11, 2012 @ 7:16 am

Thank you for lunch, it looks tasty and healthy! I love it! I’m not bringing dessert because yours are the best and mine would just be an embarrassment. :)

Kim in MD — April 11, 2012 @ 7:30 am

This looks so fresh and “Springy”. I love the addition of the strawberries and mandarin oranges. I think this would be lovely as a salad with some baby lettuce or mesclun, too!

Cait's Plate — April 11, 2012 @ 7:30 am

I don’t know if I’ve ever had pecan encrusted chicken before…but you are most definitely right that the majority of restaurants have it there on their menu.

I love the idea of throwing it in a wrap…and with strawberries! I bet that’s just awesome.

Kristen @ notsodomesticated — April 11, 2012 @ 7:30 am

I know you’re a Pittsburgh girl because you talk about fries on top of a salad. ;) I grew up outside of Pittsburgh, and every chicken salad I ordered automatically came with fries on top. Those were the good old days. ;)

• Jessica — April 11th, 2012 @ 7:41 am

I know… I didn’t realize that until I mentioned it in a post a few years ago. Crazy.

The Mrs @ Success Along the Weigh — April 11, 2012 @ 7:30 am

Oh man, this looks wonderful! I can’t wait to give it a whirl. So many possibilities!

Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles — April 11, 2012 @ 7:33 am

If I made this, I’m sure it would be a complete FAVORITE of mine- Top notch recipe right here!
    French Fries on a salad- who would have thought—- guess I’m really missing something here. Midwest must not know where it’s at with the salad business.

• Jessica — April 11th, 2012 @ 7:41 am

Ha… it’s a Pittsburgh thing I hear!

Christina @ This Woman Cooks! — April 11, 2012 @ 7:45 am

Yum! I love this.

Stephanie — April 11, 2012 @ 7:49 am

omg i love this. that honey mustard sounds so good!

Simply Life — April 11, 2012 @ 7:50 am

Oh I could definitely see this on a restaurant menu- looks fabulous!

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat — April 11, 2012 @ 7:53 am

Oooh you had me at pecans! I swear, you are the neatest wrap-roller ever!!

• Jessica — April 11th, 2012 @ 7:54 am

I’m not even going to tell you how many wraps were destroyed in the process.

Maria — April 11, 2012 @ 7:54 am

Yum! I need to get some wraps so I can make this, luckily I have everything else.

Laurie {Simply Scratch} — April 11, 2012 @ 7:58 am

Oh myyyyyy… I want this for breakfast!

Sally @ Spontaneous Hausfrau — April 11, 2012 @ 8:10 am

Yes, I love this. Yes, I’ll come for lunch. Yes, I’ll bring dessert. Lots of dessert, as long as I can have that chicken with the thick and chunky, nutty coating. Thanks and bye!

Claire @ Live and Love to Eat — April 11, 2012 @ 8:16 am

I love this adaptation of a salad to a wrap, especially the addition of avocado! I made chocolate cupcakes last night, I’ll bring dessert! ;)

Nicky @ Pink Recipe Box — April 11, 2012 @ 8:19 am

Wow these sound good! I wish I had this for lunch.

Julie @ Table for Two — April 11, 2012 @ 8:33 am

Gorgeous chicken!! I love that it’s completely encrusted in pecans..soo yummy!! If I bring dessert, will you make me a wrap :) hehe

Natalie @ Cooking for My Kids — April 11, 2012 @ 8:40 am

Lunch perfection. I would totally eat crackers and jelly beans if I was able to taste test this, too. :)

Jenn @ Icing on the Cake — April 11, 2012 @ 8:52 am

Yummy! and ok, so I know you are joking about the tuna and chocolate (right?), but here’s something that I find delicious that my whole family won’t try because they think the concept is disgusting: tuna salad (you know, with mayo and relish) atop a hotdog in a bun. It is so yummy, the saltiness of the hotdog goes perfect with the tuna salad. Actually, one of my sisters did try it and she said it was pretty good. Alright, now that I’ve outed my weird taste on the internet, I think I’ll go. :P

Holly — April 11, 2012 @ 8:56 am

So I have this little problem. Every night I have a meal planned, but then I read your post & my mind is COMPLETELY changed. Now this is what I’m making for dinner. & you want to know the other thing? My grocery bill is absolutely INSANE because I have a habit of going everyday once my mind has been changed my your recipes ;) My poor husband is going to have a heart attack when he sees how much I’ve spent on groceries lately. Oops!
    But, seriously, this DOES sound like the perfect combination of sweet & crunchy. Can’t wait to try it. Tonight! :D

Nancy B. — April 11, 2012 @ 9:09 am

This looks fab, can;t wait to try it. I bet it would also be good with Trader Joe’s Sweet and Spicy Pecans as a yummy variation!

Noemi — April 11, 2012 @ 9:13 am

Since I already have lunch packed up, I think this will make a fine dinner for tonight!! Thank you for doing all the dinner planning for me, I appreciate it :-)

Lynne @ 365 Days of Baking — April 11, 2012 @ 9:18 am

Sound delicious, but to be honest, that strawberry mustard is throwing me off, but if you say so. You haven’t been wrong yet!

Chelsy — April 11, 2012 @ 9:42 am

Yep, pretty much 1 million restaurant have pecan-crusted chicken salad, I love it anyway! Get’s me every time!

Mrs. Zoom — April 11, 2012 @ 9:48 am

Pecan crusted anything is good by me. How on earth do you bang out so so many delicious recipes? The bacon sesame wrapped asparagus was the hit of my Easter table. Nom, nom!

Sabrina — April 11, 2012 @ 9:49 am

The chicken looks so incredible. I’m going to add it to my menu for next week since I’m challenging myself to a new recipe each week! Love it.

Heather Taylor @ Kids in the Sink — April 11, 2012 @ 9:51 am

My husband is a big fan of chicken wraps and an insane fan of honey mustard! He eats those honey mustard chicken wraps from a fast food chain that shall not be named. Eww. I bet these are something even I would love for lunch and they’d for sure be a thousand million times better than anything from a place with golden arches.

Emilie @ Emilie's Enjoyables — April 11, 2012 @ 10:05 am

haha i love how you feed your husband foods he claims he “hates” only to shove it in his face afterwards that he just consumed an entire plate of said ingredient :)

Jill — April 11, 2012 @ 10:21 am

Thanks for lunch! ;)

These look great and very Spring-y!

Heather (Heather's Dish) — April 11, 2012 @ 10:22 am

um, lunch looks GOOD! when should i expect you? :)

Bee (Quarter Life Crisis Cuisine) — April 11, 2012 @ 10:23 am

“Fruit is the new croutons”–a quote from a terrible movie. But fruit MIGHT be the new pickles it looks like! These look fantastic. I’m loving all your wraps and whatnot.

Cookbook Queen — April 11, 2012 @ 10:37 am

I LOVE it when you make me lunch. Best days ever!!!

Denise — April 11, 2012 @ 11:07 am

I’m on a huge wrap-kick lately, so I have to make these. No question. Love the combination of pecans, strawberry and honey mustard: unusual, but I just know it’s gonna be good. Really good.

Nancy @ CouponClippingCook — April 11, 2012 @ 11:18 am

Looks beautiful and how fun to include avocado, mandarin oranges, and strawberries in the wrap. The chicken looks just delicious.

Katie — April 11, 2012 @ 11:36 am

Haha, Tupac?! That is hilarious. I can’t even imagine you in high school – I wish I could. So wish.

Also, I have some cake here sitting on my counter, so you just hustle that lunch on over here and we’ll eat cake afterwards. Mmmmkay?

Averie @ Averie Cooks — April 11, 2012 @ 11:40 am

I love that you put mandarin oranges and strawberries in the wrap and then that strawberry honey mustard for dippage or dressing….mmmm, delish!

Jenn — April 11, 2012 @ 12:07 pm

Oh my that looks delish! I might have to put that on the menu for next week.
    And as far as Tupac, my bestie and I were OBSESSED with him…even went as far as stopping traffic in Vegas at the intersection where he got shot so we could take a picture. And at one point she wanted to get “Thug Life” tattooed on her stomach like him. And we were/are so far from “thug life” as you can get, 2 little 21 year old princesses that were more like “Let’s Go Shopping and Lunch Life”. So dont feel bad about the high school yearbook LOL

JulieD — April 11, 2012 @ 12:09 pm

Looks amazing, Jessica!!

Cassie — April 11, 2012 @ 12:22 pm

I so wish I had this for lunch. There is a salad at a steakhouse nearby that I love that has grilled chicken, mandarin oranges, strawberries and candied pecans. This reminds me of that salad and now I want both. Love this!

green beans & grapefruit — April 11, 2012 @ 12:29 pm

love the plate you used for this!

Karriann — April 11, 2012 @ 12:34 pm

I should have this for lunch ASAP!

“Happy Cooking”

Cindy @ Once Upon a Loaf — April 11, 2012 @ 12:41 pm

I HEART you! I absolutely love pecan-crusted chicken. I’d make these for lunch OR dinner and will asap!

Lauren — April 11, 2012 @ 12:44 pm

Love the sweet mandarin oranges + strawberry action. So divine!!

Ali @ Around the VeggieTable — April 11, 2012 @ 1:35 pm

Your husband cracks me up…I love when you trick him :)

Whitney @ Whit Likes Fit — April 11, 2012 @ 1:50 pm

This looks so good. I have some almond flour I’ve been meaning to use. Definitely going to try it on this.

Margarita — April 11, 2012 @ 2:07 pm

Everything in this wrap looks absolutely delicious! I love greens and fruits and a little bit of meat together!

Becca @ Amuse Your Bouche — April 11, 2012 @ 2:17 pm

This is totally unrelated to this recipe, but I think you may have made me love James Taylor a little bit :o

Jen Marie — April 11, 2012 @ 2:32 pm

Oddly enough, I haven’t ever had Pecan crusted chicken. I have seen it on a couple of menus, but we don’t go out to eat all that often.

Sounds good, though! I may have to try this!

Carmen — April 11, 2012 @ 2:46 pm

What a coincidence! My favorite salads also include cheese, candied nuts, eggs, and fruit! One of my favs has always been chicken, candied walnuts or pecans, blue cheese, apples, and honey dijon dressing. Mmmmm. I’m always hungry after reading your posts!

Mommyof2Girlz/StephD — April 11, 2012 @ 3:36 pm

I am so hungry now! That looks amazing!

Stephanie @ Eat. Drink. Love. — April 11, 2012 @ 4:11 pm

I heart the idea of adding strawberries to the crust! Genius! This chicken would work for a number of dishes, but I love the wrap idea. I need more ideas for lunch! And fries on top of salad? I need to move to your neck of the woods!

1. Pingback: Menu – Week of April 14th « cookingpaleah

2. Pingback: Crispy Almond Coconut Chicken | Barr & Table

3. Pingback: Silverware Tie | China Silver Jewelry

4. Pingback: Crunchy Coconut Chicken Fingers with Peach Honey Mustard | How Sweet It Is

5. Pingback: Meal Plan Monday ~ 2/17 – 2/21

6. Pingback: On the Go Lunch Roundup: 50+ Lunch Food Ideas | Fulfillment From Scratch

7. Pingback: A Weekend of R&R | Barr & Table