This is sort of, like, a weird meal for me.

Portobello Fajitas with Fontina Queso I

You might remember way back when, like waaaaaay back when I started this little site where I ramble about my incessant love for the 90s (American Reunion was SO me), I hated vegetables so much that I wouldn’t even eat mushrooms and onions. THAT MUCH. In fact, one of the reasons I started blogging was because I seriously needed help in the vegetable department. Seriously serious help. It was a major issue. Major.

Buuuuut, we’ve come a long way baby. Now I actually enjoy things like shallots and scallions and other things that grow in the ground that aren’t just potatoes baked and mashed with butter and salt and butter. And butter.

Portobello Fajitas with Fontina Queso I

Still not sure if I will ever think that mushrooms taste “meaty,” but I sure do love them sauteed until juicy then sprinkled with salt. They’re like my… lifeline these days. And this meal? This whole multiple vegetables wrapped up in a tortilla? This is so not me. But it is me. I don’t even know what’s happening. I want to be wrapped up in an afghan and talk about my feelings.

Portobello Fajitas with Fontina Queso I

I’m sure it has something to do with the drizzles of fontina – melty fontina which I’m referring to as queso because it’s my party and I’ll call it queso if I want to – because those drizzles totally make the fajitas. I’m sure you guessed as much.

And I promise you this makes a delicious dinner. At least, it did a few nights ago. Last night I survived on chocolate pieces dipped in cookie butter and then peanut butter filled pretzels so I don’t really know what dinner is at the moment. This all happened after I made enchiladas at 5PM and called them dinner, even though in this house the only thing we refer to as dinner is a meal that comes along after 8:30PM. So maybe I’m not an old fogie after all.

Portobello Fajitas with Fontina Queso I

Portobello Fajitas

serves 4

2 tablespoons unsalted butter

4 large portobello caps, stems removed and thinly sliced

1 green bell pepper, sliced

1 red bell pepper, sliced

1 sweet onion, sliced

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/2 teaspoon pepper

12 small corn tortillas

fresh cilantro for serving

Heat a large skillet or griddle over medium-high heat. Once hot, add 1 tablespoon butter (or if your griddle is large enough, you can add both on either side) and add peppers and onions with a sprinkle of salt, cooking until somewhat soft and sizzling. Repeat with mushrooms, but wait until mushrooms have softened to add a sprinkle of salt and pepper. Remove immediately and fill tortillas with peppers, onions and mushrooms, then top with fontina queso and cilantro. Feel free to add other toppings, but I find it pretty complete with the fontina.

Fontina Queso

[adapted from two peas and their pod]

1 teaspoon olive oil

1/2 jalapeno, seeds removed and diced

1 tablespoons chopped sweet onion

1 small garlic clove, minced or pressed

1 teaspoon flour

1/3 cup milk

8 ounces fontina cheese, freshly grated

Heat a small saucepan over medium heat and add oil. Add onions, jalapeno and garlic, cooking for 2-3 minutes or until vegetables are soft. Whisk in flour and let cook for a minute, then add in milk and fontina, stirring until melted. Serve immediately.

Portobello Fajitas with Fontina Queso I

P.S. of course my husband would never eat anything like this unless there is a pound of steak on top, soooooo… don’t even ask.

63 Responses to “Portobello Fajitas with Fontina Queso.”

Ryan - Spicy Richmond — April 25, 2012 @ 7:01 am

I have a serious mushroom addiction (the non-hallucinogenic kind) so these are so up my ally! But my boyfriend too would ask, “Where’s the meat?”

Liz @ Blog is the New Black — April 25, 2012 @ 7:02 am

Love the idea of mushrooms as the base!

Rachel Cooks (formerly Not Rachael Ray) — April 25, 2012 @ 7:04 am

That queso looks divine–I’d have to add a pound of steak for my husband too…so I guess I would just have to eat ALL of these! :)

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey — April 25, 2012 @ 7:06 am

yesssss – Look at you being all vegetarian’ish! :)

Lauren at Keep It Sweet — April 25, 2012 @ 7:09 am

That fontina queso is genius!

Erika - The Teenage Taste — April 25, 2012 @ 7:12 am

Oh my goodness, that queso! <3
    I say we just say its a "Queso Soup" and eat it by the spoonful!

Sally @ sally's baking addiction — April 25, 2012 @ 7:14 am

mmm i kinda want to dive right into that fontina queso. is that weird? awesome recipe jessica!

Maryea {Happy Healthy Mama} — April 25, 2012 @ 7:16 am

My husband is pretty carvivoristis (that’s a word, right?) but he likes portobello fajitas. You never know, your hubby might surprise you. That queso looks fabulous!

The Mrs @ Success Along the Weigh — April 25, 2012 @ 7:20 am

You had me at fontina queso.

Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers — April 25, 2012 @ 7:23 am

The Fontina Queso dip sounds so good!!!! Wonderful recipe! yum, yum, yum!!!

Chrissy — April 25, 2012 @ 7:27 am

Don’t be so hard on yourself. Of course you’re still an old fogie :)

Katrina — April 25, 2012 @ 7:29 am

These look so easy and delicious! Yum!

Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles — April 25, 2012 @ 7:43 am

My husband doesn’t think its food unless it has a pile of meat either. Men…… Wait, I wonder what they would say about us. Or, maybe I don’t :)

Kristen @ notsodomesticated — April 25, 2012 @ 7:51 am

I’m not a big mushroom fan, but my husband definitely is. I’m sure he’d love this … with the addition of meat, of course haha. Those men. ;)

Kim in MD — April 25, 2012 @ 7:57 am

YUM! I love mushrooms, and especially portobellos- they are so meaty. My husband would need a side of beef or chicken with this, too. What’s up with that? ;-)

Laura — April 25, 2012 @ 7:59 am

Mmmm…my mouth is watering and those fajitas are all veggies which is kind of amazing if you never liked veggies! I love veggies!

Christin — April 25, 2012 @ 8:04 am

Have you tried making your own enchilada sauce yet?? You may not like it when you do since you’ll only be able to eat them with home made sauce and the easy sauce-from-the-jar days will be gone. But, oh, you’ve gotta do it!

While I’m rambling, you seriously must get your exercise on if you even eat half as much as you say you eat in your posts! I’m totally jealous.

Sorry if this post sounds like I think I know you and that we’re friends since obviously I only know your blog persona. It’s kinda awkward trying not to sound like a rabid stalker. I just like what you do here and hope you don’t mind the questions. :)

• Jessica — April 25th, 2012 @ 10:24 am

I have not tried, but I will be trying soon!

Catalina @ Cake with Love — April 25, 2012 @ 8:36 am

I think fontina cheese is underestimates not too many recipes use it, however I love this cheese very much, the queso looks heavenly I would love to take a swim in all the melted cheese!!!

Maria — April 25, 2012 @ 8:40 am

My favorite fajitas!!

Amanda at the red table — April 25, 2012 @ 8:42 am

I couldn’t stand mushrooms until recently when I tried a couple of different portobello melts — and loved them. So this just might be something I have to try. Plus, with melted cheese all over it, how bad could it possibly be??

Parita @ myinnershakti — April 25, 2012 @ 8:45 am

Mexican food without queso just doesn’t make any sense. And your fontina queso really needs to be recreated in my kitchen…soon! Looks delicious.

Mushrooms Canada — April 25, 2012 @ 8:59 am

A must try for mushroom lovers everywhere! The Portabella base had me SOLD! Looks great :)

Claire @ Live and Love to Eat — April 25, 2012 @ 9:15 am

Oh my heavens, yes please. Fontina is an interesting (and I’m sure fantastic) choice!

Lynne @ 365 Days of Baking — April 25, 2012 @ 9:18 am

Ok, so that’s what I get logging on to your site first thing in the morning without having a cup of coffee beforehand ~ PORTABLE fajitas with fontina queso. Good grief, but yours sound delicious, too. ;-)
    These are on the list, am loving the vegetables lately.
    Oh, and Jessica. I made your Crockpot BBQ Beer Chicken the other night only with Root Beer and some other adjustments and it was TO. DIE. FOR!!! Oh, my GOODNESS!!
    I put some cheese, caramelized onions and cilantro on top and it was one of the best things we’ve ever eaten. That is now a regular at our house and SO easy, too.

• Jessica — April 25th, 2012 @ 10:23 am

I’m so glad you liked the chicken!! We love it. :)

kathleen @ the daily crumb — April 25, 2012 @ 9:19 am

i love fajitas! never made them at home, though. and yes, my husband would be right there with yours demanding pounds of meat before he would even CONSIDER this a meal.

Ashley — April 25, 2012 @ 9:20 am

ANY melted cheese on a taco/fajita = queso

Love the “p.s.”

Emilie @ Emilie's Enjoyables — April 25, 2012 @ 10:22 am

Where did you find those blue corn tortillas?!

• Jessica — April 25th, 2012 @ 10:26 am

Whole Foods! 365 brand.

• Heather — April 25th, 2012 @ 10:34 am

LOVE the color of them!! I’m already dreamming of using them with red and white fillings this July!

bridget {bake at 350} — April 25, 2012 @ 10:28 am

I seriously love portobellos…and they’re so low in calories….which means I can eat lots of dessert or queso….or both. Adding this to my must-make list!

Laurie {Simply Scratch} — April 25, 2012 @ 10:32 am

Love this vegetarian version of fajitas… like really really love!

Gina @ Running to the Kitchen — April 25, 2012 @ 10:39 am

Gimme that queso!!

Cait's Plate — April 25, 2012 @ 10:43 am

That queso looks incredible. I’ve never thought of using portobellos in tacos like this (I usually just use beans for my meatless options) but I LOVE this idea and will definitely be using it in the near future!

Meg @ Peaches and Cake — April 25, 2012 @ 10:47 am

hahahahhaha i looooove the comment about wrapping yourself in an afghan and talking about your feelings….you crack me up.

Averie @ Averie Cooks — April 25, 2012 @ 11:09 am

That queso sauce looks wonderful and I love grilled portobellos and peppers…I have a zillion tortilla wraps that are begging to be used for this!

Moni Meals — April 25, 2012 @ 11:26 am

YUM!! I am thinking Cinco de Mayo lady! Thanks Jessica. :)

Jackie Grandy — April 25, 2012 @ 11:32 am

I so clicked on your blog for a reason today. I have tacos on the brain and was looking for some vegeterian alternatives. I love portobellos and was just commenting to my meat loving daughter the other day how they taste like steak.

I love how this whole blog land works. It’s such a source of inspiration!

Rebecca — April 25, 2012 @ 11:35 am

Absolutely making these today! Is it lunch yet?!?

The Precious Things — April 25, 2012 @ 11:51 am

Yum. I imagine some bacon and chicken in it would taste good too. Where does that poppy seed tortilla come from? Did I spot that right?

janetha @ meals & moves — April 25, 2012 @ 11:52 am

ooo yum. now that M is coming around to liking mushrooms, i should try this recipe!

Jen @ The Scrumptious Pumpkin — April 25, 2012 @ 12:15 pm

That fontina queso sounds amazing – I love the idea of pairing it with mushroom fajitas – yum! :)

Katie — April 25, 2012 @ 12:16 pm

Portobellos get in my belly.

And I eat dinner embarrassingly early every night – 5:30 is right up my ally.

Ashley @ Wishes and Dishes — April 25, 2012 @ 12:48 pm

Mmmm that queso is making me drool! My hubby would require a boatload of meat on top, as well :)

sarah — April 25, 2012 @ 12:49 pm

Queso is bueno!

Nancy @ CouponClippingCook — April 25, 2012 @ 12:58 pm

What a perfect combination of flavors. Love the idea of Fontina cheese too. And that’s the first time I’ve seen a blue corn tortilla…always knew they existed because of the blue tortilla chips but how fun to use the whole tortilla for this delicious recipe.

Heather (Heather's Dish) — April 25, 2012 @ 1:12 pm

i would swim in a fontina queso pool right now…

Julia {The Roasted Root} — April 25, 2012 @ 1:15 pm

Gotta tell ya, I don’t think this recipe is weird at all…it’s freaking fantastic if you ask me! My boyfriend would need to add a couple pound of meat on top, sure…but I could go for this type of fajita any day!

joelle (on a pink typewriter) — April 25, 2012 @ 3:05 pm

Your photos are gorg.. and I love fajitas- I must try this. I wonder if I can trick my bf into thinking these have meat..

Honey What's Cooking — April 25, 2012 @ 4:11 pm

i loveeeeeee portabello mushrooms, hey they do taste meaty! :-) this is coming from someone who doesn’t eat beef though.

Liz @ Tip Top Shape — April 25, 2012 @ 6:31 pm

LOVE. This looks amazing!!

Quiche-ing Queen — April 25, 2012 @ 7:23 pm

I have grown to love mushrooms as well. I think some of them taste meaty. These fajitas look so delicious.

Colleen @MissPetiteSweets — April 25, 2012 @ 7:34 pm