I did so many (un)important things this weekend! And now, unfortunately, I’m going to tell you about them.

Thai Chicken Enchiladas I howsweeteats.com

Somebody that I live with was in Vegas. I was all alone. This is how I live!

I poached four eggs. Not at once.

I ate asparagus for BREAKFAST. I know. What.the.heck. This is so unlike me. I’ll explain later. And no, I am not with child.

Thai Chicken Enchiladas I howsweeteats.com

I made the executive decision to THROW away that freaking magic bullet blender that I loathe. My feelings came to a head after it took 18 (yes… seriously 18) minutes to blend the ice in my smoothie, and in my first gulp I got a piece of some disgusting, chewy scum that was hiding underneath a blade or something and lived through multiple hand washers and dishwasher cycles.

Ugggh. My skin is crawling just thinking about it. So I went out and bought a new blender, then slammed that piece of junk right into the trash. Hard.

I did a laundry load of towels. This? Huge deal. It’s often a stand off to see who will cave first and throw them in the wash. Actually, that’s totally a lie. There is no stand off because my husband knows that I surely won’t ever do them. He so kindly takes care of it.

Thai Chicken Enchiladas I howsweeteats.com

I became addicted to yogurt pretzels. Really, this addiction started while I was in Florida… but now they are all I can think about. I mean… allllll I can think about. I bought some at Trader Joe’s on Friday and ate like, half the bag on my ride home. Then I curiously decided to take a peek at what a serving is of these so called “yogurt” pretzels… and it’s eight freaking pretzels! I ate eight pretzels in one HANDFUL. Whatever. We all know this whole yogurt business is just code for deliciously addicting white chocolate.

I killed about six thousand ants, four spiders and three stinkbugs. Then I went to Target to buy bug spray, spent $150 and left without bug spray. Oh but I did buy four pink bowls. That’s like the same thing.

Thai Chicken Enchiladas I howsweeteats.com

So… phew. Monday is here and I’m spent.

The only other thing I did was make these Thai chicken enchiladas because I thought I would win the wife-of-the-year award (this should include shoes)… but then I ate them all. I pretty much survived on enchiladas for breakfast, lunch and dinner… leaving nothing for my tired and heavily hungover husband when he returned home. Except a few yogurt pretzel crumbs. And well, that was like four hours ago so now? Yeah. There is really no food for him.

But let’s talk enchiladas. Swimming in coconut milk and red chili sauce, these are packed with chicken, shredded cabbage, carrots and onions, and a hefty handful of crushed peanuts and cilantro. I think the whole addition of peanuts is one of my favorite things about Thai food, and they take these to the next level. Feel free to add in any other favorite flavors of your choice, but these are packed with a sweet, tangy and slightly spicy punch. Clearly I liked them a little too much.

Thai Chicken Enchiladas I howsweeteats.com

1/2 teaspoon pepper

4 green onions, sliced

1/3 cup chopped + crushed peanuts + more for garnish

1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro + more for garnish

2 1/2 cups light coconut milk

1/3 cup + 1/2 cup sweet chili sauce

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Heat a large skillet over medium heat and add canola oil. Throw in onions, cabbage, carrots, garlic and 1/4 teaspoon salt, stirring to mix. Let cool until vegetables are soft, about 6-8 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add in chicken, green onions, peanuts, cilantro, remaining salt and pepper, tossing to coat, and let cook for 1-2 minutes. Add in 3/4 cup coconut milk and 1/3 cup sweet chili sauce, mixing thoroughly to combine. Turn off heat.

Spray a 9×13 baking dish with nonstick spray. Whisk together remaining coconut milk and sweet chili sauce. Pour about 1/2 a cup or so on the bottom of the dish. Slightly warm tortillas if desired to make them more pliable, then place a few spoonfuls of the chicken mixture in each, rolling up tightly and placing in the dish. Cover with remaining coconut milk and chili sauce mix. I usually take a spoon and cover every inch of the tortilla with the sauce, just to make sure it’s coated.

Bake for 20 minutes, then remove and top with additional peanuts and cilantro. Since sauce is not as thick as traditional enchilada sauce, when you remove them from the oven, spoon sauce from the bottom of the dish all over the tortillas. Additionally this can be done halfway through cooking too.

Notes: I use Trader Joe’s sweet chili sauce, but you should be able to find it in the international aisle of most grocery stores – I believe the most common brand is Thai Kitchen. I do suggest tasting the sauce first and adjusting accordingly from there so the dish works with your desired spice level. If you an unsure of what to do with your leftover coconut milk, make pancakes, hummus or brussels sprouts!

Thai Chicken Enchiladas I howsweeteats.com

Mmmmm Monday.

218 Responses to “Thai Chicken Enchiladas.”

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey — April 2, 2012 @ 6:59 am

What kind of work is Mr. Sweet in? He’s always traveling!

Buying 4 bowls at target = bug spray.. for sure?

• Jessica — April 2nd, 2012 @ 7:48 am

Ha – this was sort of a business + personal trip. Lucky guy.

Blog is the New Black — April 2, 2012 @ 6:59 am

I want this. And i want yogurt pretzels. Make them and share the recipe, please/thanks.

Natalie @ Cooking for My Kids — April 2, 2012 @ 7:13 am

I am kind of speechless because these enchiladas look seriously yummy!!

Becki's Whole Life — April 2, 2012 @ 7:14 am

Oh my gosh – you have combined my two favorite types of food (Thai and Mexican). Love this. I agree love the peanuts in Thai food…and the coconut.

Stacy T — April 2, 2012 @ 7:14 am

your posts always make me happy.

Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles — April 2, 2012 @ 7:19 am

First- Ewwwww! I would have not taken so kindly to the magic bullet had that happened to me either. Yuck!
    Second- What a dish! Delicious!

Jazzy — April 2, 2012 @ 7:21 am

Yummmy , I’m going to use my mexican recipe with this and add the chili sauce and coconut milk!

Kim in MD — April 2, 2012 @ 7:22 am

I laughed when I you said you went to Target to buy bug spray and spent $150.00 and forgot the bug spray! Ha ha! That so sounds like something I would do! :-) These Thai enchiladas look amazing, Jessica!

Heather (Heather's Dish) — April 2, 2012 @ 7:23 am

Heaven….these are so creative!

Meg @ Peaches and Cake — April 2, 2012 @ 7:24 am

ooo they’re like your thai chicken pizza! yum yum yum.

Simply Life — April 2, 2012 @ 7:28 am

oh these look amazing! last time I was alone we had ants too!!!! After screaming and crying (thinking that would get the neighbor to hear and come over and help me remove everything from the pantry and cabinets because I was so nervous I would find more of them) I finally cleaned everything and bought ant traps (which seriously kept my sanity).

Kristen @ notsodomesticated — April 2, 2012 @ 7:36 am

Bleck bleck bleck … that story about eating something from the Magic Bullet made me nauseous just picturing it!! I can’t imagine how grossed out you were when it happened!!

• Jessica — April 2nd, 2012 @ 7:47 am

It was horrific.

The Mrs @ Success Along the Weigh — April 2, 2012 @ 7:36 am

Guess my Mr will be going to the grocery store on the way home. Yum!

Annie @ What's Annie Making? — April 2, 2012 @ 7:39 am

Target has a way of doing that. I see things that I “need” to pick yet I’ve survived without having them on hand for the past 4 months. And these enchiladas look phenomenal! I love thai food so much but I never seem to have everything I need on hand to make it. Maybe I’ll have to make a trip to Target ;)

Rachel @ Not Rachael Ray — April 2, 2012 @ 7:39 am

Haha I can relate to your Target trip!!! These enchiladas look amazing!

heather — April 2, 2012 @ 7:39 am

Why do you make me crave this stuff so early in the morning!? I could eat this now. It’s 7:40.

In the a.m.

Of course, this could be one of the reasons why I love you so much.
    xo

• Jessica — April 2nd, 2012 @ 7:47 am

I’ll trade you for some of that incredible mint mousse cake!

Sally @ sally's baking addiction — April 2, 2012 @ 7:41 am

loving the thai twist on enchiladas jessica!! i, too, am COMPLETELY addicted to yogurt covered pretzels. if 8 is 1 serving, i eat enough to feed a small family. no, a large family.

kelly — April 2, 2012 @ 7:55 am

Where is the Pin It button!!! This looks soooo delicious, cannot wait to try

Jazzy — April 2, 2012 @ 7:56 am

My husband loves thai food, I’m going to have to get cabbage after all. sighhhhh wish we had a trader joes

Bev Weidner — April 2, 2012 @ 7:58 am

HOLY crap I want those. And by those I mean those on the plate and then the ones in the pan and then any you might have frozen. Those too.

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat — April 2, 2012 @ 8:04 am

Mmm indeed! I’m not sure if you’ve ever talked about it and if I’m being nosy feel free not to answer, but what kind of work does Mr How Sweet do that lets him travel to all sorts of fun places like Vegas?! Regarding your Target story, Target is now making its way into Canada and I was recently told that one is opening up right behind my house. I fear my budget is doomed, because my trips will likely turn into exactly the kind you just had!

• Jessica — April 2nd, 2012 @ 10:57 am

Ha, well the Vegas trip was for a coworkers wedding but he is a controller. Which means he does a bunch of stuff with numbers that I would definitely fail at.

Carrie @ Bakeaholic Mama — April 2, 2012 @ 8:14 am

First off…

What is a stink bug??? I live in NH and never heard of one. But the name gives me the heebie jeebies.

These enchiladas look so yummy and a fun addition to our weekly menu. I have to try them!

• Jessica — April 2nd, 2012 @ 10:56 am

They are these really disgusting bugs that started popping up around here a few years ago. Apparently they smell when killed or disturbed, but I’ve never experienced that.

Jess @ twophdsbaking — April 2, 2012 @ 8:17 am

Congrats on ditching the magic bullet. I got one years ago when I asked my parents for a blender. It was not a good surprise. It just sits in my cabinet, and I still don’t have a blender!

The enchiladas look great!

Jessica — April 2, 2012 @ 8:21 am

You’re speaking to my soul with these. I have the most overwhelming craving for Thai food lately, I just cannot get enough curry and coconut milk. No I’m not with child either. And if I am that box of wine Friday night was a monumental mistake….

Coco — April 2, 2012 @ 8:26 am

HAHA I am so glad I started reading this blog.

Gen — April 2, 2012 @ 8:27 am

Yuuum!!!! These look awesome!!!!

Kelly — April 2, 2012 @ 8:43 am

I love yogurt covered pretzels….they are my crack!!!

Lauren at Keep It Sweet — April 2, 2012 @ 8:45 am

I went through a period in college when I was OBSESSED with Whole Foods yogurt pretzels from the bins… I am afraid to see if they still have them because that would be dangerous.

• Jessica — April 2nd, 2012 @ 10:55 am

That’s where I became obsessed – well, the bulk bin at Fresh Market – they had CHERRY yogurt pretzels!!

Maria — April 2, 2012 @ 8:54 am

Great twist on enchiladas!!

Cookbook Queen — April 2, 2012 @ 9:02 am

I am ridiculously in love with this idea. Your mind is a culinary genius!!

Erica — April 2, 2012 @ 9:04 am

No! I love my magic bullet. Seriously- yogurt covered pretzels should be ridiculously healthy…but they’re not…its just not right ;). These sound fantastic. Hope you have a good week

Britta — April 2, 2012 @ 9:06 am

The enchiladas look mouthwatering… However… That chunk in your smoothie is going to haunt me all day!!!! SHUDDER

Liz @ Tip Top Shape — April 2, 2012 @ 9:06 am

That Target thing happens to me all the time. A lot of times I go to the grocery store for butter (because as a baker I never have enough) and I can’t tell you how many times I’ve left with a full cart and zero butter.

And this recipe looks delish!!!!

• Jessica — April 2nd, 2012 @ 10:55 am

Oh yeah I’ve done that a million times too.

BinomialBaker — April 2, 2012 @ 9:13 am

I nominated you for the Versatile Blogger Award! Check it out: http://binomialbaker.blogspot.com/2012/04/another-award.html

• Jessica — April 2nd, 2012 @ 10:54 am

Thanks so much!

Lynne @ 365 Days of Baking — April 2, 2012 @ 9:16 am

I was laughing until I came across the hunk of whatever it was in your smoothie and literally gagged.
    YUCK!!
    That REALLY makes me not want to by a Bullet now!!
    And no word of a lie, when I read that you ate asparagus for breakfast, I was seriously going to ask if you were pregnant, but you beat me to it. ;-)
    Great take on the enchiladas. I can definitely understand why you ate them all yourself. Just call it survival of the fittest, my dear.
    Enjoy your Monday!!

Jorie — April 2, 2012 @ 9:21 am

Post made me laugh… recipe made my mouth.water. Seriously. You had me at cilantro. Pinned it so I can come back and try it very soon. :)

Kendra — April 2, 2012 @ 9:26 am

bahhahaa…I TOTALLY did the exact same thing with my Not-So–Magic-Bullet a couple of weeks ago!!! I was having tantrums every morning! I think I saved my marriage!

P.S. these look yummy.

Georgia @ The Comfort of Cooking — April 2, 2012 @ 9:38 am

I have Target trips like that – shamefully – way too often. At least you killed the bugs, though! That’s braver than I would have been. Great recipe! Looks so mouthwatering…

Nicole @ Sweet Peony — April 2, 2012 @ 9:50 am

These look delish! The chili coconut sauce is something that I could dive right in to! Love how creative you are in the kitchen!!

Villy @ For the love of Feeding — April 2, 2012 @ 9:55 am

YUM!! Pinning it to remember to try it! (although I’ll need to replace the coriander with parsley because of my aversion to it…)

naomi — April 2, 2012 @ 10:02 am

This is kinda crazy, but so good sounding-Thai and Mexican. Very unique and creative fusion there.

fyi-I hate the bullet. The slime you swallowed-gross and frightening. Didn’t you just want to chase that slimey sip with bleach?

• Jessica — April 2nd, 2012 @ 10:54 am

Um, yes. I am scarred for life.

Cait's Plate — April 2, 2012 @ 10:06 am

I’m always so scared to attempt enchilladas and I’m not really sure why. They definitely look doable when you break it out visually step by step like this. As soon as my no meat/no dairy Easter fast is over I’m going to bite the bullet and make some!

• Jessica — April 2nd, 2012 @ 10:54 am

Don’t be scared! So easy.

Averie @ Averie Cooks — April 2, 2012 @ 10:17 am

coconut milk and red chili sauce makes anything amazing…these look so good!

I hope you took your weekend alone (with hubs in Vegas) to treat yourself to some shopping, and more than just these enchiladas. You deserved it :)

Gina @ Running to the Kitchen — April 2, 2012 @ 10:34 am

The magic bullet is the biggest piece of crap ever. I totally understand your frustration. My MIL bought it for me so I can’t really throw it out for fear she’ll open my cabinets or something and know it’s gone but it’s shoved in the back corner of the biggest cabinet in my kitchen. Junk, total junk.

Lauren — April 2, 2012 @ 10:37 am

I HATE magic bullets too! Eew eew eew!

Carrie @CarrieAndJonathan.com — April 2, 2012 @ 10:38 am

So weird… I was home alone for the weekend, and I also ate asparagus for breakfast! I too am definitely NOT with child.

Emilie @ Emilie's Enjoyables — April 2, 2012 @ 11:05 am

love anything with coconut milk!

Rachel @ The Avid Appetite — April 2, 2012 @ 11:27 am

what a great idea to change up the typical enchilada! I love Thai flavors. Beautiful photos, as always :)

sara — April 2, 2012 @ 11:28 am

Wowzers, these look amazing, what fantastic flavors!

Adrienne @ Midwestern Belle — April 2, 2012 @ 11:36 am

Mexican and Thai.. My two favorite food worlds are colliding!

1 2 3 4

1. Pingback: Thai Chicken Enchiladas - - Network Panda – cPanel Web hosting, PHP, MySQL, unlimited disk space and bandwidth

2. Pingback: Friday Fun! April 5, 2012

3. Pingback: Weekly Review 4/8/2012 – 4/14/2012 | Bake Break!

4. Pingback: Meatless Monday: Spinach and Artichoke Stuffed Portobellos + Weekly Menu

5. Pingback: Thai Chicken Enchiladas « The Triple Dish

6. Pingback: Enchiladas Recipes | RecipeGirl.com

7. Pingback: DO IT: Mix Up Your Menu « N + C

8. Pingback: Spicy Thai Enchiladas | Lets Go Sunning

9. Pingback: Thai Chicken Enchiladas « Eat Love Repeat

10. Pingback: WHOLE FOODS July 2012 Menu | OAMC from Once A Month Mom

11. Pingback: WIAW 19-What I Actually Ate in One Day. | Yeah…imma eat that.

12. Pingback: Thai Chicken Enchiladas | Yeah…imma eat that.

13. Pingback: Thai Chicken Enchiladas and a Semi-Picky Husband | Have You Hurd?

14. Pingback: thai chicken enchiladas. | eleventh floor view

15. Pingback: Thai Chicken Enchiladas | Flying on Jess Fuel

16. Pingback: Allergen-Free(zer) Cooking

17. Pingback: Thai Chicken Quinoa | Yeah…imma eat that.

18. Pingback: The Chubby Cheeked Face of the World’s Slowest Eater | My CMS

19. Pingback: Thai Chicken Enchiladas | windykitchen

20. Pingback: Thai Chicken Quesadillas | How Sweet It Is

21. Pingback: Thai Chicken Quesadillas. | Lifestyle Pins

22. Pingback: Insignificant Kindnesses (Revisited) | Molly Sweeney

23. Pingback: Thai Chicken Enchiladas - The Kitchen Paper

24. Pingback: Thai Chicken Enchiladas | raudette

25. Pingback: Thai Chicken Enchiladas | What's Cooking In My Kitchen

26. Pingback: The Chubby Cheeked Face of the World's Slowest Eater - Beauty Mommy | Nada Manley | Mom Style | Mom Makeover

27. Pingback: thai chicken enchiladas

28. Pingback: Our Favorite Lightened Up Beef Enchiladas with 10 Minute Enchilada Sauce. | How Sweet It Is

29. Pingback: thai chicken enchiladas. | The Cheesy Kitchen

30. Pingback: Bacon Wrapped Caramelized Sesame Asparagus | How Sweet It Is

31. Pingback: 10 Ways to Eat Real Food While Working Full-Time | Life in our Kitchen

32. Pingback: weekly meal plan: march 23rd | Sassy Moms In The City