I did so many (un)important things this weekend! And now, unfortunately, I’m going to tell you about them.

Thai Chicken Enchiladas I howsweeteats.com

Somebody that I live with was in Vegas. I was all alone. This is how I live!

I poached four eggs. Not at once.

I ate asparagus for BREAKFAST. I know. What.the.heck. This is so unlike me. I’ll explain later. And no, I am not with child.

Thai Chicken Enchiladas I howsweeteats.com

I made the executive decision to THROW away that freaking magic bullet blender that I loathe. My feelings came to a head after it took 18 (yes… seriously 18) minutes to blend the ice in my smoothie, and in my first gulp I got a piece of some disgusting, chewy scum that was hiding underneath a blade or something and lived through multiple hand washers and dishwasher cycles.

Ugggh. My skin is crawling just thinking about it. So I went out and bought a new blender, then slammed that piece of junk right into the trash. Hard.

I did a laundry load of towels. This? Huge deal. It’s often a stand off to see who will cave first and throw them in the wash. Actually, that’s totally a lie. There is no stand off because my husband knows that I surely won’t ever do them. He so kindly takes care of it.

Thai Chicken Enchiladas I howsweeteats.com

I became addicted to yogurt pretzels. Really, this addiction started while I was in Florida… but now they are all I can think about. I mean… allllll I can think about. I bought some at Trader Joe’s on Friday and ate like, half the bag on my ride home. Then I curiously decided to take a peek at what a serving is of these so called “yogurt” pretzels… and it’s eight freaking pretzels! I ate eight pretzels in one HANDFUL. Whatever. We all know this whole yogurt business is just code for deliciously addicting white chocolate.

I killed about six thousand ants, four spiders and three stinkbugs. Then I went to Target to buy bug spray, spent $150 and left without bug spray. Oh but I did buy four pink bowls. That’s like the same thing.

Thai Chicken Enchiladas I howsweeteats.com

So… phew. Monday is here and I’m spent.

The only other thing I did was make these Thai chicken enchiladas because I thought I would win the wife-of-the-year award (this should include shoes)… but then I ate them all. I pretty much survived on enchiladas for breakfast, lunch and dinner… leaving nothing for my tired and heavily hungover husband when he returned home. Except a few yogurt pretzel crumbs. And well, that was like four hours ago so now? Yeah. There is really no food for him.

But let’s talk enchiladas. Swimming in coconut milk and red chili sauce, these are packed with chicken, shredded cabbage, carrots and onions, and a hefty handful of crushed peanuts and cilantro. I think the whole addition of peanuts is one of my favorite things about Thai food, and they take these to the next level. Feel free to add in any other favorite flavors of your choice, but these are packed with a sweet, tangy and slightly spicy punch. Clearly I liked them a little too much.

Thai Chicken Enchiladas I howsweeteats.com

1/2 teaspoon pepper

4 green onions, sliced

1/3 cup chopped + crushed peanuts + more for garnish

1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro + more for garnish

2 1/2 cups light coconut milk

1/3 cup + 1/2 cup sweet chili sauce

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Heat a large skillet over medium heat and add canola oil. Throw in onions, cabbage, carrots, garlic and 1/4 teaspoon salt, stirring to mix. Let cool until vegetables are soft, about 6-8 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add in chicken, green onions, peanuts, cilantro, remaining salt and pepper, tossing to coat, and let cook for 1-2 minutes. Add in 3/4 cup coconut milk and 1/3 cup sweet chili sauce, mixing thoroughly to combine. Turn off heat.

Spray a 9×13 baking dish with nonstick spray. Whisk together remaining coconut milk and sweet chili sauce. Pour about 1/2 a cup or so on the bottom of the dish. Slightly warm tortillas if desired to make them more pliable, then place a few spoonfuls of the chicken mixture in each, rolling up tightly and placing in the dish. Cover with remaining coconut milk and chili sauce mix. I usually take a spoon and cover every inch of the tortilla with the sauce, just to make sure it’s coated.

Bake for 20 minutes, then remove and top with additional peanuts and cilantro. Since sauce is not as thick as traditional enchilada sauce, when you remove them from the oven, spoon sauce from the bottom of the dish all over the tortillas. Additionally this can be done halfway through cooking too.

Notes: I use Trader Joe’s sweet chili sauce, but you should be able to find it in the international aisle of most grocery stores – I believe the most common brand is Thai Kitchen. I do suggest tasting the sauce first and adjusting accordingly from there so the dish works with your desired spice level. If you an unsure of what to do with your leftover coconut milk, make pancakes, hummus or brussels sprouts!

Thai Chicken Enchiladas I howsweeteats.com

Mmmmm Monday.

223 Responses to “Thai Chicken Enchiladas.”

Allisha — April 6, 2012 @ 6:47 pm

I made these for some friends last night, they were a little nervous when I told them what was on the menu for dinner. Everyone LOVED them. They were really delicious! I never would have thought to wrap Thai food up into an enchilada but it works! I’m also incredibly hooked on your breakfast cookies lately. I have seriously made like 8 batches of them in less than 1 month. Keep your awesome, crazy recipes coming!

Ann from Sumptuous Spoonfuls — April 7, 2012 @ 10:30 am

These are ingenious! I loooooove Thai food and enchiladas and never even imagined you could put the two together! I had had HAD to pin these lovely things to the BEST food blogger recipe board:

Jacqueline — April 7, 2012 @ 11:53 am

I must make this immediately. My two favorite cuisines – Mexican and Thai – combined in one! I love your blog!

Samantha — April 7, 2012 @ 12:57 pm

Pure love. Those flavors! Thank you!

R — April 8, 2012 @ 8:12 pm

Made these the other night. Very good. You could use the filling in many things or just over rice. We added some peppers to kick it up. Would recommend doubling the sauce and ladling 1/2 of it on about 2/3 through cooking.

Geof — April 9, 2012 @ 5:59 pm

These were AWESOME! Wound up serving them with a salad with a spicy peanut dressing and some sauteed bok choy. Next time, I’ll sub some of the sweet chili sauce out for some curry paste as others have mentioned, but these things will be made again!

Amanda — April 11, 2012 @ 7:50 pm

Wow! Those look amazing! They’re on the menu for tomorrow night!

StoriesAndSweetPotatoes — April 12, 2012 @ 10:53 pm

Thank god, someone else who hates the magic bullet. That thing is a cheap piece of crap. THIS is a great twist on enchiladas.

Shannon — April 14, 2012 @ 8:30 am

Made these last night and they were unbelievable! I’m thinking leftovers for breakfast. There’s only one left, so I might have to fight the husband for it!

Justin Shore — April 17, 2012 @ 11:09 am

Perfection. Made these the other night, came out perfect. Wife and her friend loved them. Quick and easy.

Tracey — April 17, 2012 @ 8:08 pm

OMG! These were sooo good! Made them tonight. My boyfriend said I could make them often! Thank u for the recipe! Can’t wait to try more!
    (__|__) Getting’ bigger by the minute.

Kevin (Closet Cooking) — April 18, 2012 @ 9:35 pm

These look tasty! I do a version with a spicy peanut sauce rather than the sweet chili coconut milk sauce.

Ashley — April 20, 2012 @ 3:07 pm

Do you think that it would work to make the chicken filling in a crock pot? I’m big on freezer to crock pot cooking — any reason why you don’t think that would work for this recipe to cut down on time?

Thanks!!!

• Q's Mommy — May 23rd, 2012 @ 5:11 pm

I made these the first time per this recipe a few weeks back – OMG, so ridiculously good! And decided today to try and make the filling in the crock pot. I added the chicken (raw but thawed), cabbage, carrots, onion, garlic, salt and pepper, coconut milk and the chilli sauce. Let it cook on low for 8 hours. During the last 20 minutes I added the green onion, cilantro and peanuts. I just tasted it and yummy, yum, yum! I don’t have tortilla’s today so I’m just gonna put it over some brown rice. I’m guessing if you wanted to at this point you could transfer the filling to the tortillas, roll and bake them. The sauce is a little thin so I may add a little flour or cornstarch to see if I can thicken it up a bit.

Julie — April 22, 2012 @ 4:18 pm

Let me tell you what. These were AWESOME. My husband just loved them. I did take a few liberties with ingredients that I had on hand. I actually used Buffalo Wild Wings Asian Zing sauce instead of the sweet chili sauce and used some of Trader Joe’s Thai Green Curry Sauce over the top. Ours turned out rather spicy – the way we like it – and deliciously creamy! Loved the slight crunch of the peanuts. I will be making these again. Thank you so much for the recipe!

Teresa Andrews — April 29, 2012 @ 11:02 am

This recipe is so delicious!! Definitely making this again!! No left overs. Need to make a double recipe next time!

Liss V — April 29, 2012 @ 12:06 pm

We loved this dish- so many fabulous flavors. Only bummer was that it didn’t reheat well. Next time we’ll just be gluttons and eat it all at dinner!

Brenda @ a farmgirl's dabbles — April 29, 2012 @ 4:49 pm

Mmmm…this sounds right up my alley. But I would be in serious trouble if I didn’t share with my family!! ;)

Brandie @ Home Cooking Memories — April 30, 2012 @ 2:39 pm

As someone who doesn’t have much experience with Thai flavors, but lots with Mexican foods, I’m sooo intrigued by these!

Rebecca — May 9, 2012 @ 9:39 pm

Finally had a chance to make this recipe tonight–I’ve been wanting to for ages–and it was DELICIOUS! I used cashews instead of peanuts and red bell peppers instead of cabbage because those were the ingredients I had on hand…SO GOOD. Thanks for sharing the recipe! Love your blog and your sense of humor! :-)

• allie — June 12th, 2013 @ 9:35 pm

This recipe sounds soo good.Love Mexican {especially enchiladas} my personal favorite,as well as Thai flavors ,so I,m excited to try.Only problem was I can’t stand cabbage so I’m thrilled to know that bell pepper works.Love that. Thanx for sharing.

Katymoo — May 12, 2012 @ 3:52 pm

I can’t wait to make these, but have to say I am pretty disappointed there are no photos of the pink bowls you got at Target.

Tang — May 14, 2012 @ 12:08 am

LOL, came to this via Pinterest because the Thai Chicken Enchilada recipe looked great. Then I read the accompanying words and laughed out loud several times. Love it. Your day of being unlike you sounds just like me most days; particularly the bit about going to get bug spray and coming back with $150 worth of not-bug-spray, including those well known pest control items … pink bowls :D Hope you enjoyed yourself, you sounded like you did!

Susan — May 14, 2012 @ 8:05 pm

Can I just say…A MA ZING! So good!

Christina — May 15, 2012 @ 9:42 pm

Haha! You’re hilarious. I sometimes just read your stuff and forget that you have a recipe at the end because I’m enjoying your stories. =)

Kristin — May 16, 2012 @ 1:55 am

I don’t even remember how I got to this recipe from but made them for my family tonight and they were a hit! They were so good and were very reminiscent of pad thai, one of my all time favorite things. Thanks!

Annette — May 17, 2012 @ 2:00 pm

Made these today, delicious BUT I used Siracha hot chili sauce instead of sweet chili sauce and holy cow, these were spicy (and I’m from Texas!!). So, watch out on that substitution :)

Sara — May 30, 2012 @ 6:06 pm

I have a really dumb question. When you list coconut milk, do you mean the stuff in a can, or from a milk carton? Or is there even a difference?
    These look AMAZING!

• Kira — July 4th, 2012 @ 11:50 pm

Use coconut milk from a can. If you look carefully, you’ll notice the stuff in cartons is a coconut milk beverage — watered down and generally sweetened. If you’re concerned about the fat content (even though it’s healthy fat), you should be able to find “lite” coconut milk in a can.

Angie Lee — June 15, 2012 @ 2:39 pm

I’ve made these twice since I found your recipe…. LOVE THEM! I was in a hurry last night so I tried the filling on top of pizza, just as good but easier for my little boys to eat. Plus, they love pizza. 8 thumbs up from my family of 4!

Suzette — June 21, 2012 @ 11:16 am

Amazing! I was skeptical, even with the great reviews. I made them last night and they are delicious! The right amount of heat and sweet and the cilantro compliments the dish perfectly. A+. I can’t wait to make this unique dish for entertaining.

Marny — July 9, 2012 @ 1:52 pm

These were delicious. I love the Thai flavors, and loved having an alternative to a stir-fry or rice dish. I had a few extra enchiladas that I froze and defrosted a few weeks later, and they still tasted really good.

Craig Evans — July 12, 2012 @ 10:18 am

Found via Facebook posting of a Pinterest pinned version of the blog entry (don’t you love social media)?
    Made this last night. Couple of minor variations:
    1. Added grated ginger and lemongrass to the filling mix.
    2. Added 1T crunchy peanut butter to the filling and 2T to the sauce. This added a satay type quality to the filling and helped thicken the sauce.
    3. Cooking chicken breasts? Nope – 1/2 BBQ chicken. Also got the dark thigh meat into the mix.
    4. Shredded cabbage and carrot? Nope – 1C of the mix from a small bag of coleslaw mix.
    Good recipe weeknight recipe. Came together quickly – especially since I didnt need to shred the vege or cook the chook. Could easily prepare the filling and sauce in advance. Wouldn’t do the full assembly until ready to cook though.
    As another variation – these would make good “flautas” style appetizers off a grill with a much thicker satay style dipping sauce, rolled in taco sized rather than burrito sized tortillas.

Angela — July 16, 2012 @ 4:08 pm

these look awesome! so much so that I included one of your photos on a post I did (linking back to you and giving you all the credit in the caption) with other enchilada recipes, including my own Pork and Veggies Enchiladas recipe. thanks for sharing! here’s the link – http://wp.me/p1cn3Q-xg

Angela — July 17, 2012 @ 9:24 pm

These have made it to our regular menu rotation. Definitely a family favorite!

My husband and I eat vegan, so I was going to mention to any vegans or vegetarians that the Gardein Chick’n Scallopini make a nice substitution for the chicken. I defrost all four cutlets then dice them and add in the recipe as you would the chicken. I really love that this is the only item I have to substitute as everything else works in our diet. So easy when I can do that with a recipe!

• Jessica — July 17th, 2012 @ 10:26 pm

Thank you – a lot of people have inquired about veganizing this!

Sheila Backus — July 23, 2012 @ 10:41 am

I really want to make this recipe, but do you think it could be done in the crock pot? I know people make enchiladas in the crockpot all the time, but with this recipe would it need more coconut milk or anything? I get home late and usually don’t have time to make dinner, so I prefer to do most things in the crock pot. Let me know!

Theresa Callahan — July 28, 2012 @ 10:56 pm

These enchiladas were amazing, and easy to make too! My husband raved about them, and I can hardly wait to make them next time “company” is coming! Although, if my hubby has any say, I’ll be making them at least once a week anyway.

I followed your recipe, except I substituted boneless/skinless chicken thighs because that was what I had on hand. Thank you for sharing your wonderful, funny-as-heck, blog and delicious recipes.

e okul — September 19, 2012 @ 7:05 am

Looks absolutely delicious. Great work.

shel — September 19, 2012 @ 8:58 am

these sound amazing…. and easy ! I usually freeze leftover coconut milk….. when I have such a thing. :)

mjskit — September 19, 2012 @ 3:03 pm

What a uniquely delicious enchilada! I definitely need to try these! Congrats on the Top 9 a Foodbuzz!

Kate — September 19, 2012 @ 4:57 pm

Jessica, thank you for this awesome recipe, and thank you to everyone who made them and posted a comment; It’s so helpful when deciding to make something to hear from others who have tried the recipe and like the results.

For coconut fans, there is a great recipe on Three Many Cooks for Double Coconut Pudding. Double or triple it because you can’t help but take a few taste-testing bites, followed by licks of the spoon, the edge of the bowl, the bowl scraper……….

p.s. Jessica, my trips to Target are SO like yours – I take comfort knowing someone else goes there for 1 thing and leaves with 100+ dollars of things we didn’t know we needed -

Erica — October 8, 2012 @ 12:19 pm

This is such a fresh, fun take on enchiladas!!

Cindy — December 6, 2012 @ 10:30 pm

I made these extra-hot by using a hot chili sauce (http://www.huyfong.com/no_frames/oelek.htm) rather than a sweet-hot sauce. Delicious!!! Not heavy like enchiladas, pretty enough for company, and easy-peasy to make. This will for sure be on my monthly rotation of meals! Perhaps I’ll pair it with some cakebatter blondies next time!?

I didn’t serve anything along side other than a few lime wedges and it was plenty for dinner.

Roxanne @TheROXXBox — December 12, 2012 @ 6:06 pm

These look amazing also!!

e okul veli bilgilendirme sistemi — December 21, 2012 @ 5:07 pm

Joe Miller — December 24, 2012 @ 9:35 pm

Love them, liked them a ton more with non trader joe sweet chili sauce, spicier and tastier

Donald Saelinger — February 5, 2013 @ 6:26 am

Amazing food

maria — February 16, 2013 @ 4:34 pm

i made these last year and loved them! i´m making a double batch for my book club tomorrow night…should be a good make ahead meal

Rebekah — February 17, 2013 @ 8:48 pm

The Thai Enchilada’s were amazing. They exceded my expectations. My only concern is that its impossible to eat only one. Thanks.

Elle — February 23, 2013 @ 12:46 am

I was thinking about maybe adding some cheese to the chicken mixture for more substance and a more enchilada-like feel, what do you think about this? Which cheese would go well with these flavors?

jill — March 22, 2013 @ 3:34 pm

did you really only use 1/2 cup of cabbage? that doens’t seem like enough

nebenhack — July 13, 2013 @ 1:37 pm

HOLY DELICIOUSNESS!!! You are a genius. I made these tonight with fresh, homemade tortillas and this is hands down, without question my new favorite! Love reading your blog and making your recipes, I’ve just never commented before. Everything of yours I have made is amazing and I love your sense of humor. Totally want to support you in any way I can and will definitely be buying your cookbook!

stephanie — September 3, 2013 @ 11:50 am

Has anyone frozen this recipe/ I think it will work, but not sure. I have all the ingredients, but I just made a few Thai meals so “my people” may need a change.