More bacon. More booze.

And it’s only Tuesday.

It’s gonna be a looooong week.

I’m sorry?

I’m totally not though.

Believe it or not I made this cornbread BEFORE the beans. I don’t know. I was just feeling cornbread. I wanted it with bacon, and figured hey…  while I’m at it I’ll add some beer. Then spread some butter on it while it’s still hot. Then die because I don’t know what could be better.

But not, so I could then top it with bourbon beans.

That was really my life’s train of thought.

I tried things out a bit differently this time by baking my cornbread in a loaf pan. I loved it but if that’s not your thing, feel free to bake this in a baking dish for big, fat squares. However… if you do that, be aware that you can’t make other delicious things like, um… cornbread french toast? Or cornbread sandwiches? Or cornbread toast spread with peanut butter and topped with chocolate chips?

Yeeeeah.

Bacon Beer Cornbread

[adapted from my fluffy cornbread recipe]

makes 1 loaf

6 slices thick-cut bacon, chopped

1 1/2 cups finely ground cornmeal

1 1/2 cups whole wheat pastry flour

2 tablespoons sugar

1 1/2 tablespoons baking powder

3/4 teaspoon salt

3 large eggs

1 cup of your favorite beer

1/2 cup milk

1/3 cup sour cream

1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Spray a loaf pan (mine is 10x5x3) with non-stick spray. Heat a skillet oven medium heat and add chopped bacon. Stir and cook until crispy and fat is rendered, then remove with a slotted spoon and drain on a paper towel. Turn off heat but don’t discard bacon fat.

In a large bowl, mix together cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. In a small bowl, whisk together milk and eggs. Add milk and eggs to dry ingredients, mixing until combined, then add in sour cream and beer. Mix and add in butter and leftover bacon fat, mixing until batter is somewhat smooth but just combined. Fold in bacon. Pour batter in loaf pan, then place pan on a baking sheet and bake for 30-35 minutes, or until top is golden. Let cool for 20-30 minutes, then remove from the pan and slice.

Tomorrow I’ll try not to clog your arteries. Maybe.

91 Responses to “Bacon Beer Cornbread.”

Heather (Heather's Dish) — May 15, 2012 @ 7:05 am

Bacon and bread is my dream come true. DREAM COME TRUE!

Stacy T — May 15, 2012 @ 7:09 am

Cornbread french toast???? Oh good lord!! With a side of bacon for the bacon.

Amy — May 15, 2012 @ 7:10 am

I was going to make chili for dinner and I think this will go perfectly with it. Yay!

Sally @ sally's baking addiction — May 15, 2012 @ 7:23 am

i want a peanut butter and chocolate chip bacon beer cornbread sandwich for breakfast RIGHT NOW please. is that weird? hope not!

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) — May 15, 2012 @ 7:31 am

Now this looks like a match made in heaven!

Rachel @ My Coffee Cravings — May 15, 2012 @ 7:34 am

I sincerely hope you’re continuing this bacon theme tomorrow with a bacon dessert. These past two days have been heavenly!

Ali @ Gimme Some Oven — May 15, 2012 @ 7:39 am

Love this in a loaf pan! And what’s not to love with bacon+beer…of course!

Sabine — May 15, 2012 @ 7:40 am

Bacon corn bread with peanut butter and chocolate………you. are. a. genius!!!

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat — May 15, 2012 @ 7:45 am

Cornbread french toast… that sounds like something that could potentially be slathered in brown butter. ;)

Laura — May 15, 2012 @ 7:51 am

Yum! I’ve never made cornbread but now I want to!

Lauren at Keep It Sweet — May 15, 2012 @ 7:53 am

I seriously love cornbread and this looks amazing!

Maria — May 15, 2012 @ 7:55 am

My uncle would loveeee this! Bookmarked for the future :)

Villy @ For the love of Feeding — May 15, 2012 @ 8:05 am

Give us more bacon!! Soooo delicious!

Jenna — May 15, 2012 @ 8:05 am

I love how you’re not afraid to add such “manly” ingredients to your recipes. Your husband must adore you!

Robyn Stone | Add a Pinch — May 15, 2012 @ 8:06 am

Genius! How could this not be delicious? Bacon in any kind of bread is a good thing. In cornbread, it’s scrumptious!

L — May 15, 2012 @ 8:14 am

DUDE, Stop! First the crockpot beans and now this. I’m going to gain 15 pounds and it’s only Tuesday! :D

They all look so yummy!

Kim in MD — May 15, 2012 @ 8:15 am

You had me at bacon. And beer. I love that you made this in a loaf pan- I’m not going to change a thing when I make this. Well, I made add a little bacon. :-)

Jeff — May 15, 2012 @ 8:19 am

You had me hooked at beer…and bacon. Only good and devious things can happen when these two worlds combine!

Sally @ Spontaneous Hausfrau — May 15, 2012 @ 8:25 am

Oh geez, this has my name all over it. And YES YES YES on the loaf pan. I like hearty, thick slices of cornbread that I can turn into sandwiches. Even though it’s likely that the only thing I’ll be sandwiching between these two slices is a large hunk of butter. Bliss.

Krista Lee — May 15, 2012 @ 8:30 am

Bacon beer cornbread. Definitely in the top 5 reasons to read your blog ;)

Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers — May 15, 2012 @ 8:52 am

Holy Crap this looks good!!

Claire @ Live and Love to Eat — May 15, 2012 @ 9:01 am

Your husband better know how lucky he is.

Emily — May 15, 2012 @ 9:01 am

I knew this was going to be some kind of beer bread!! And it is going to be a great addition to my dinner tonight! Thanks for sharing, I’m excited to make it. Quick question though, if I don’t have whole wheat pastry flour can I substitute? I just don’t have whole wheat on hand.

• Jessica — May 15th, 2012 @ 11:10 am

All-purpose!

Kare — May 15, 2012 @ 9:03 am

While I’m not a bacon eater (I know, why am I even *here*?) I still have to give you props for the sheer genius going on here. I’m inspired to try beer in cornbread now. Did it do anything cool/different to the texture?

• Jessica — May 15th, 2012 @ 11:10 am

I’m glad you’re here! The beer doesn’t really do anything to the texture but you can taste it.

Ryan @ Spicy Richmond — May 15, 2012 @ 9:05 am

Holy heaven. While I’m always a fan of jalapeno cheddar cornbread, I just might need to start adding in some bacon!

Chelsy — May 15, 2012 @ 9:08 am

Clog, clog away! ;)

kelley @mountainmamacooks — May 15, 2012 @ 9:43 am

Clog away, sista, clog away. My arteries like it. Especially when bacon is involved.

Ashley — May 15, 2012 @ 9:44 am

Cornbread is one of my top favorite food items ever. I could eat it every single day and have definitely made french toast with it before!

bridget {bake at 350} — May 15, 2012 @ 9:59 am

“More bacon. More booze.” If that’s not the best opening line to a blog post, I don’t know what is. ;)

Annie @ What's Annie Making? — May 15, 2012 @ 10:03 am

This looks awesome! I adore cornbread plain, so I can’t even imagine the flavor that bacon and beer add to it.

Katie @ Veggie and the Beast — May 15, 2012 @ 10:07 am

I’m not a cornbread person, or a bacon person (it’s a vegetarian thing), but you’ve got me reconsidering both. I AM a beer person, however… :)

Stephanie — May 15, 2012 @ 10:12 am

Whoa, bacon cornbread! Love this! Thanks!

Karly — May 15, 2012 @ 10:16 am

Love this. Love this a lot.

PaulJohn — May 15, 2012 @ 10:17 am

Cornbread: Love
    Beer: Love
    Bacon: Love Love Love

Really need to think of something good to make with this on Sunday.

Emilie @ Emilie's Enjoyables — May 15, 2012 @ 10:17 am

cornbread toast topped with pb and chocolate chips sounds…insane. Insanely good.

Jennifer — May 15, 2012 @ 10:39 am

I LOVE that you used Leinenkugels for this recipe! I am definitely a fan!

Just call me,
    A Chippewa Falls-onian

Julia {The Roasted Root} — May 15, 2012 @ 10:41 am

brew, bacon and cornbread just make sense together. it. just. makes. sense. I never thought of this combination and my hats off to you….I freaking love cornbread and bacon and beer. I’d probably eat a slice of the cornbread with a side of bacon, washed down with beer. :)

Steve @ the black peppercorn — May 15, 2012 @ 10:42 am

I love beer bread but have never thought of adding bacon. This looks awesome and I am sure has great flavour!!

Melanie @ Just Some Salt and Pepper — May 15, 2012 @ 11:07 am

I’ve never made cornbread in a loaf pan but i think I will start. Cornbread toast with peanut butter? Yum.

Averie @ Averie Cooks — May 15, 2012 @ 11:09 am

This is so you. It’s like your foodie dream come true :)

Catalina @ Cake with Love — May 15, 2012 @ 11:13 am

I love cornbread, why I have never thought adding bacon to it!!?? This sounds amazing, my husband will appreciate the beer too!

Bee (Quarter Life Crisis Cuisine) — May 15, 2012 @ 11:21 am

Sounds like a bread even our menfolk could get behind! Well done!

ThePixie — May 15, 2012 @ 11:24 am

I have a ton of cornmeal to use up, this is perfect!

Lindsey — May 15, 2012 @ 11:46 am

Yes please to everything in and about this recipe! Sounds and looks delicious!

Rachel @ The Avid Appetite — May 15, 2012 @ 11:51 am

I adore cornbread. Pretty sure an entire loaf or pan in one sitting is not out of the realm of possibility for me…

Emily — May 15, 2012 @ 12:16 pm

I’m in! Next time my husband spends the day smoking meat, I’ll be in the kitchen making bacon beer cornbread!

sara — May 15, 2012 @ 12:47 pm

Yum, this cornbread looks amazing!! Great flavors…totally love it!

Cassie — May 15, 2012 @ 2:09 pm

This is out-of-this-world good.

Steph@stephsbitebybite — May 15, 2012 @ 2:19 pm

You have truely changed how I think about cornbread!! This is almost like a complete meal, right? Carbs, meat…and I’m sure there’s a way that hops counts as veggies.

kaceyt — May 15, 2012 @ 2:27 pm

We just had cornmeal waffles with chocolate chips and peanut butter over the weekend, so cornbread french toast isn’t sounding too absolutely weird! Bacon in the cornbread is genius!

1. Pingback: Better with Bacon - Bacon Beer Cornbread... | THE DAILY BACON

2. Pingback: Friday Favorites | Nikkilooch

3. Pingback: THE AIRPLANE CRASH SANDWICH - Charred Flesh on Toast | Cabin GoddessCabin Goddess

4. Pingback: Football Food! [135 Recipes For Football Season.] | How Sweet It Is

5. Pingback: it’s all in a name: on baking with cider, bourbon, and other delicacies | ayoungvoice | can

6. Pingback: Bacon & Beer Cornbread | Beer and Groping in America