Things you did this weekend? Tell me.

Crockpot Bacon Bourbon Baked Beans I howsweeteats.com

Things I did this weekend?

-watched some sort of disgusting insect build a nest/cocoon/filfthy mansion underneath my husband’s garage door and had a complete meltdown about it. I looooooathe bugs.

-dropped my iPhone in a vat of buttercream. Not as sweet as it sounds.

-drank a dark chocolate bourbon cherry soda float. I was forced, I tell you. FORCED.

Crockpot Bacon Bourbon Baked Beans I howsweeteats.com

-watched The Notebook and pretended it was real life. Like… my real life.

-met Mario Batali and watched him cook some sauseeeeeege.

-bought a million (more) pieces of neon clothing because I live for the 90s. Even though I have no style, this is one trend that I’ll never let go.

-reminisced about how I used to hairspray the front of my hair into this crazy wave thing while wearing hideous 4-inch raised platform flip flops. WHAT. I hope those stay out of style forever.

-and made baked beans from scratch!

Crockpot Bacon Bourbon Baked Beans I howsweeteats.com

I can’t even believe it. Up until like… a year ago maybe? I didn’t even like baked beans. I had a huge mental block against them. No clue why. But then I ate some good ones, and was hooked for life. I ate them everyday with eggs for about six months straight. I put them inside of sandwiches and ate them on top of potatoes. So the first time I made these, I threw a bunch of random ingredients in the pot and said a little prayer. The next time, I made a few tweaks (…more bourbon) and said another.

And I’ve totally decided that beans are one of my favorite foods. I am absolutely horrific at picking favorites of anything – and I do mean anything – I can’t pick a favorite song, TV show or movie to save my life. Except for right now when I tell you The Notebook is the greatest movie in all the land.

So beans it is. Any and all beans. I eat them every single day, sometimes twice a day. This is a monumental moment in my world, because I’m pretty sure the last time I declared a favorite food was at age twelve when I simply would say “potatoes.” And that’s only because I ate my mom’s potato chip potato casserole like it was going out of style (which it totally was, but don’t worry she still makes it), mashed potatoes, and “baked” potatoes – which in my world was the flesh of a baked potato scoop out on to my plate, covered in salt, pepper and butter then mashed with a fork. Anytime I was given a baked potato in a restaurant the proper way, like wrapped in foil or simply baked and sliced down the middle, I was like…. um, no. This is not a baked potato.

But anyway… bacon, avocados and chocolate would round out the list. Those are the top four, until I change my mind tomorrow.

Crockpot Bacon Bourbon Baked Beans I howsweeteats.com

And now I can easily say I won’t ever grab baked beans in a can again. So much flavor here, so much texture, so much bacon and so much booze. With just a hint of bourbon, these beans are definitely our new go-to recipe. They can be made in advance and with just an hour of prep work you can throw everything in the crockpot and leave them to their own devices.

Summer here we come!

1/4 cup ketchup

2 tablespoons molasses

1 cup bourbon

1 1/2 tablespoons ground mustard

1/4 cup apple cider vinegar

2 tablespoons worcestershire sauce

The night before, add beans to a large pot and cover with water. Drain the next morning.

Bring beans to a boil in a large pot of water, let simmer for 30-40 minutes, then drain. While beans are cooking, heat a large skillet over medium heat and add bacon. Cook until crispy and fat is rendered, then remove bacon with a slotted spoon and let drain on a paper towel. Reduce heat to medium-low and add onion, cooking for 8-10 minutes, until caramely and soft. Add in garlic, cook for 30 seconds, then turn off heat.

Add water, bourbon, brown sugar, bbq sauce, ketchup, ground mustard, vinegar, molasses and worcestershire sauce to the crockpot and whisk well to combine. Add in beans, onions (and all of the bacon fat) and bacon to the crockpot. Cover and cook on low for 10-12 hours, stirring occasionally. After 10-12 hours, turn crockpot to “warm” setting or turn off completely and let sit anywhere from 30 minutes-2 hours, which will help the sauce for the beans thicken even more. These taste even better the next day!

Note: after 10-12 hours the liquid may still seem “liquidy.” It is imperative to let the beans sit for a while on the lower setting (or on the off setting, still covered) so they become thick and syrupy like traditional baked beans.

Crockpot Bacon Bourbon Baked Beans I howsweeteats.com

And later I’ll tell you about this bread. Because I love your guts.

222 Responses to “Crockpot Bacon Bourbon Baked Beans.”

Paula @ Vintage Kitchen — May 14, 2012 @ 11:08 am

Bourbon with beans sound soooo good!
    How can you possibly be in your twenties and know about 90´s neon? LOL! By the way, have you ever seen pictures of the 80´s neon craze? With legwarmers?

• Jessica — May 14th, 2012 @ 11:10 am

I’m 29 – I remember it all!

Averie @ Averie Cooks — May 14, 2012 @ 11:16 am

Bourbon in beans sounds…fabulous! I love bourbon in vanilla extract, in caramel sauce, why not, in beans!

Ashley @ Coffee Cake and Cardio — May 14, 2012 @ 11:29 am

Oh my lord those look amazing!!! Yummy!

Nancy @ CouponClippingCook — May 14, 2012 @ 11:38 am

These beans look like they’re cooked perfectly. And made in a crockpot….sounds so easy. I’m sure these smell amazing when they’re cooking.

Valerie @ Sex, Food, and Rock & Roll — May 14, 2012 @ 11:40 am

Oooooh these look sooooo goooood! And it’s a great way to use some of the HALF GALLON of Jack & Honey barbecue sauce sitting in my freezer….

Natalie — May 14, 2012 @ 11:58 am

My family has a strange (so I have heard) tradition of serving baked beans at Thanksgiving dinner. I am so making these this year! I will impress everyone with my domesticness :) Thanks for the recipe!

honeywhatscooking — May 14, 2012 @ 12:00 pm

yummy.. i’ve been thinking about getting a crockpot, but I’m confused between that and a crockpot type pressure cooker. Decisions!!!

Georgia @ The Comfort of Cooking — May 14, 2012 @ 12:10 pm

Is this supposed to be a side dish? Because I’d have NO problem consuming the whole thing for dinner. To the dismay of my husband, I’m sure.

Naomi — May 14, 2012 @ 12:12 pm

Load up my plate please!!!

Jamie @ green beans & grapefruit — May 14, 2012 @ 12:20 pm

Just in time for BBQ season (well, that’s year round here in L.A.)- but I’ll have my eye on these for Memorial Day weekend!

Stephanie — May 14, 2012 @ 12:33 pm

I didn’t really love beans until about a year ago!

I made some Hulk themed Green Velvet Cupcakes this weekend. =)

Laura — May 14, 2012 @ 12:57 pm

Mmmm those look so good. I’ll send this recipe over to my aunt because she loves anything slow-cooker…and she loves baked beans so they will be the perfect match. And I’ve seen those platforms around!

Connie — May 14, 2012 @ 12:58 pm

The bourbon baked beans look delightful! I’m so glad I am not the only one who has dropped a small electronic gadget into a “vat” of sugary buttery substance called frosting. I feel so much better now :-D Thanks!

Jayme — May 14, 2012 @ 1:09 pm

Alright, this is it…I don’t know how much more I can take! I’ve been so good on my diet but am salivating at just the sight of these beans. Oh, and the sprinkle overload – I was THIS (can you seem me?) close to licking my iPhone. I may have to avoid Pinterest this evening as well.

Tabitha — May 14, 2012 @ 1:19 pm

Ohhhhh…those look so good. Love beans, love baked beans, love cooking with the crock-pot…thank you, thank you for the recipe.

This weekend I enjoyed some homemade applesauce donuts that my 11 year old made for me for Mom’s Day. So yummmy.

Quiche-ing Queen — May 14, 2012 @ 1:26 pm

These beans look so delicious. I love baked beans. This sounds like a great recipe. My weekend was packed with girly movies since it was Mother’s Day and pigging out on loads of Chinese takeout. Yummy!

Chris — May 14, 2012 @ 1:43 pm

I totally hate baked beans, but this looks like bacon with some baked beans in it haha. I like the flavor combo, too – and I have a ton of bourbon left from last week’s party. Thanks for the great recipe!

kaceyt — May 14, 2012 @ 1:44 pm

i looove baked beans! why have i never considered making them from scratch?!?

Holly — May 14, 2012 @ 1:44 pm

Well, let’s just say it: never have I been so enamored by baked beans. How did you do it??

Katie — May 14, 2012 @ 1:56 pm

It sounds like someone else also caught The Notebook on ABC Family this weekend? I started watching for aboouuuut 3 minutes, and it was going GREAT…until their old people selves showed up and I started bawling. Adorable old people in love… gets me every time.

Also, my boyfriend will not even look at beans he hates them so much. If we are ever to consider getting married, I think this is going to be a serious problem…Ilovebeans.

Rachel @ The Avid Appetite — May 14, 2012 @ 2:36 pm

ok so my first question was going to be…and what is that bread?! My face needs it now!! So yeah, I’m glad you addressed that one.

I love baked beans! Never thought to make my own…will need to get on that…

Chung-Ah | Damn Delicious — May 14, 2012 @ 4:29 pm

I don’t even like beans but I’m sure I’d be able to devour this with no problem whatsoever.

Erin — May 14, 2012 @ 5:14 pm

Let’s see. I went shopping Friday, but I didn’t actually buy anything because nothing was working out and I chopped it up as a bad shopping day (or the stores just decided to hide all the good stuff). Saturday I went to piyo, made food for my friends graduation party from grad school then went to said party. Sunday I watched other people cook food and ate a lot of fresh mango. I would’ve liked these beans to go with my mango.

Stacy T — May 14, 2012 @ 5:30 pm

I made your carnitas and they were yummy. Also made a spicy kickass sauce to compliment the spices in the crockpot. If I can recreate it, I’ll send it to you. Also played golf (yawn) and got 4 pars on the back 9. I was on fire!!!! That’s it!

• Jessica — May 14th, 2012 @ 5:37 pm

So glad you liked the carnitas!

April — May 14, 2012 @ 5:35 pm

your weekend sounded like it was fun! i also went on a neon muscle tank spree at urbanoutfitters. i CANT stop buying clothes from there! my wish list is crazy huge! well since you asked, my weekend consisted of me graduating college, going to see my brother in-law graduate from MSU(finally!), eating at this amazing lil southern place where i had a catfish poboy (and lots of margaritas), then i had more margaritas at my sister in-laws, then me and my hubby went to an outdoor concert to hear Corey Smith and we ended up dancing in the rain all night! it was the best weekend ive had in a while. mostly because i got to dance in the rain at a concert like in some chick flick :)

• Jessica — May 14th, 2012 @ 5:36 pm

What a fun weekend! Congrats on your graduation!

• April — May 14th, 2012 @ 5:41 pm

Thanks! It’s a little late but I’m not the traditional type girl and went about my life a little backwards!

• Jessica — May 14th, 2012 @ 5:46 pm

Then you deserve even more congrats – I can’t even imagine going back to school after being away for long!

Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn — May 14, 2012 @ 6:45 pm

I read Bourbon and I was sold.

Jessica jones — May 14, 2012 @ 7:54 pm

I can’t wait to make these!!! But I’m a little afraid of the bourbon.

ThePixie — May 14, 2012 @ 8:06 pm

I am not bean’s biggest fan, but this looks delicious!

Emily — May 14, 2012 @ 8:51 pm

These look BOMB!! And meeting Mario Batali…freakin awesome!

Courtney @ Bake. Eat. Repeat. — May 14, 2012 @ 9:09 pm

This is everything I could ever want in a pot of beans!

My block against beans ended when I tried them on a potato chip. Totally hooked from then on.

Please inform me immediately if you find a way to combine your 4 favorite foods into one mega-favorite dish. Thank you.

Tiffany @ Savor Home — May 14, 2012 @ 9:35 pm

This reminds me of summer bbq’s with my family. I will have to make these during a family bbq this summer for sure! I wanted to let you know that I ADORE your blog and will be sharing your Coconut Mango Mojito on my blog tomorrow. It’s kind of fabulous along with all of your other recipes. I must let my readers know that your lovely blog exists… :) I hope you had a great day!

Jody — May 14, 2012 @ 10:13 pm

I absolutely love your blog. It’s easily the best cooking blog I follow. Keep up the good work.
    Those baked beans are literally making me salivate.

Erin — May 14, 2012 @ 11:42 pm

Can you puhh-lease stop messing around and tell me what was in that dark chocolate cherry bourbon drink?
    I’m in a delicate place right now and I really feel that it will soothe my nerves ;)
    Xoxo

lynn @ the actor's diet — May 15, 2012 @ 12:07 am

my weekend was pretty exciting, i have 5 movies in a film festival right now – but meeting mario batali would’ve been better!

Jennifer — May 15, 2012 @ 12:15 am

I’m a huge fan of baked beans. My favorite way to eat them; by dipping Ruffels potato chips in them. Now beans aren’t just a side, they are an appetizer.

tanya — May 15, 2012 @ 6:57 am

I’ve never had homemade baked beans, only the canned, which I hate. But I think you’ve inspired me! These look really delicious!

Jennifer — May 15, 2012 @ 7:08 am

Oh, yummy! I love baked beans, and I’ll try anything with bacon in it.

Melissa | Cajun Sugar Pie — May 15, 2012 @ 7:50 am

I’m adding these to my summer BBQ menu! They look absolutely amazing!

Deb — May 15, 2012 @ 8:16 am

Oh my golly – I can not wait to make these baked beans. I love baked beans!!! Our kitchen is gutted right now for a remodel so I will have to wait which makes me sad because they look so good!!
    Thanks for sharing…………will be waiting for the “bread” story!

Kathryn — May 15, 2012 @ 8:41 am

These look divine! Perfect for a backyard BBQ!

Nicole (MyLoveForCooking) — May 15, 2012 @ 9:30 am

Wow these are gorgeous! I can’t wait to try them! Thanks! :)

Andrea {From the Bookshelf} — May 15, 2012 @ 10:16 am

These look spectacular! Can’t wait to try them!

Sara — May 15, 2012 @ 12:52 pm

Quick question… lid on or off when letting the beans sit after cooking for the 10-12 hrs? Thxs!

• Jessica — May 15th, 2012 @ 2:12 pm

I kept the lid on, but it’s fine with the lid off too!

Amy W — May 15, 2012 @ 6:45 pm

I bought dry beans today SPECIFICALLY for these. Sadly, I won’t be able to eat that many beans before I leave for Florida on Friday (and my freezer is packed with PW Cinnamon Rolls for my birthday next week) but I will make them when I return!!! Icantwait.

Michelle @ Brown Eyed Baker — May 15, 2012 @ 8:34 pm

These look AMAZING! I love baked beans, but have never made them myself. I must remedy that.

Aunt Sally — May 16, 2012 @ 2:06 am

Jess, Mother Lovett made excellent home made baked beans from the beans left over from Ham and Navy Bean Soup . . . but, no bourbon . . . so, these will be even more delicious! You are bringing them to the 4th of July Pool Party! Love you.

Lizabeth — May 16, 2012 @ 4:42 pm

Made these yesterday, and they’re the perfect texture, look magazine perfect, but.. are they sopposed to be really, really boozy? I measured exactly 1 cup, but now I’m trying to figure out how to “burn off” a little of the alcohol- it’s even a little tingly in the nose when I breathe it in! Any suggestions? I used the cheapest bourbon I could find… maybe that’s it!

• Jessica — May 16th, 2012 @ 9:14 pm

It possibly *could* have been the bourbon you used – you really should only cook with alcohol that you deem worthy of drinking. But did you make any other changes to the recipe or anything? Maybe your crockpot doesn’t get quite as hot as mine? My husband hates bourbon (bad college memories, ha) and could barely detect the taste!

Tracy — May 16, 2012 @ 6:01 pm

I could eat the whole pot, seriously. I always make my baked beans with bacon, but the bourbon? Oh yes, it’s happening this summer.

Jamie | My Baking Addiction — May 16, 2012 @ 6:20 pm

Bacon and bourbon? Oh, heck yes!

kimberly — May 16, 2012 @ 8:12 pm

I thought you were coming to my house to make some of these? but i guess not, since you’re not here :( these look absolutely divine! cant wait to try, maybe a bourbon and ice as the side dish :)))