Things you did this weekend? Tell me.

Crockpot Bacon Bourbon Baked Beans I

Things I did this weekend?

-watched some sort of disgusting insect build a nest/cocoon/filfthy mansion underneath my husband’s garage door and had a complete meltdown about it. I looooooathe bugs.

dropped my iPhone in a vat of buttercream. Not as sweet as it sounds.

-drank a dark chocolate bourbon cherry soda float. I was forced, I tell you. FORCED.

Crockpot Bacon Bourbon Baked Beans I

-watched The Notebook and pretended it was real life. Like… my real life.

met Mario Batali and watched him cook some sauseeeeeege.

-bought a million (more) pieces of neon clothing because I live for the 90s. Even though I have no style, this is one trend that I’ll never let go.

-reminisced about how I used to hairspray the front of my hair into this crazy wave thing while wearing hideous 4-inch raised platform flip flops. WHAT. I hope those stay out of style forever.

-and made baked beans from scratch!

Crockpot Bacon Bourbon Baked Beans I

I can’t even believe it. Up until like… a year ago maybe? I didn’t even like baked beans. I had a huge mental block against them. No clue why. But then I ate some good ones, and was hooked for life. I ate them everyday with eggs for about six months straight. I put them inside of sandwiches and ate them on top of potatoes. So the first time I made these, I threw a bunch of random ingredients in the pot and said a little prayer. The next time, I made a few tweaks (…more bourbon) and said another.

And I’ve totally decided that beans are one of my favorite foods. I am absolutely horrific at picking favorites of anything – and I do mean anything – I can’t pick a favorite song, TV show or movie to save my life. Except for right now when I tell you The Notebook is the greatest movie in all the land.

So beans it is. Any and all beans. I eat them every single day, sometimes twice a day. This is a monumental moment in my world, because I’m pretty sure the last time I declared a favorite food was at age twelve when I simply would say “potatoes.” And that’s only because I ate my mom’s potato chip potato casserole like it was going out of style (which it totally was, but don’t worry she still makes it), mashed potatoes, and “baked” potatoes – which in my world was the flesh of a baked potato scoop out on to my plate, covered in salt, pepper and butter then mashed with a fork. Anytime I was given a baked potato in a restaurant the proper way, like wrapped in foil or simply baked and sliced down the middle, I was like…. um, no. This is not a baked potato.

But anyway… bacon, avocados and chocolate would round out the list. Those are the top four, until I change my mind tomorrow.

Crockpot Bacon Bourbon Baked Beans I

And now I can easily say I won’t ever grab baked beans in a can again. So much flavor here, so much texture, so much bacon and so much booze. With just a hint of bourbon, these beans are definitely our new go-to recipe. They can be made in advance and with just an hour of prep work you can throw everything in the crockpot and leave them to their own devices.

Summer here we come!

1/4 cup ketchup

2 tablespoons molasses

1 cup bourbon

1 1/2 tablespoons ground mustard

1/4 cup apple cider vinegar

2 tablespoons worcestershire sauce

The night before, add beans to a large pot and cover with water. Drain the next morning.

Bring beans to a boil in a large pot of water, let simmer for 30-40 minutes, then drain. While beans are cooking, heat a large skillet over medium heat and add bacon. Cook until crispy and fat is rendered, then remove bacon with a slotted spoon and let drain on a paper towel. Reduce heat to medium-low and add onion, cooking for 8-10 minutes, until caramely and soft. Add in garlic, cook for 30 seconds, then turn off heat.

Add water, bourbon, brown sugar, bbq sauce, ketchup, ground mustard, vinegar, molasses and worcestershire sauce to the crockpot and whisk well to combine. Add in beans, onions (and all of the bacon fat) and bacon to the crockpot. Cover and cook on low for 10-12 hours, stirring occasionally. After 10-12 hours, turn crockpot to “warm” setting or turn off completely and let sit anywhere from 30 minutes-2 hours, which will help the sauce for the beans thicken even more. These taste even better the next day!

Note: after 10-12 hours the liquid may still seem “liquidy.” It is imperative to let the beans sit for a while on the lower setting (or on the off setting, still covered) so they become thick and syrupy like traditional baked beans.

Crockpot Bacon Bourbon Baked Beans I

And later I’ll tell you about this bread. Because I love your guts.

247 Responses to “Crockpot Bacon Bourbon Baked Beans.”

Robert Moore — January 24, 2014 @ 6:19 am

Wonderful recipe. Because I didn’t have bourbon or molasses, I substituted scotch for the one and corn syrup for the other! I have no comment about the wisdom of substituting scotch for bourbon (necessity being the mother of invention) but, although my beans turned out well, I do suspect that using molasses would have made the result even better.

All that said, this recipe sure is a keeper. Thank you.

Jes — January 30, 2014 @ 6:07 pm

Can you tell me what sized Crock Pot you used and if it filled it? Gonna make them this weekend for Super Bowl Crowd! As a side should it feed a lot of people?

Emma — February 13, 2014 @ 8:07 am

This recipe is awesome! Can it be baked in a Dutch oven. If so, what temp and for how long? Thank you very much.

KP — March 21, 2014 @ 12:41 pm

Making these today *finally* after having them bookmarked for probably over a year now. Can’t wait!!

Nicole — May 19, 2014 @ 8:22 am

Has this recipe been made without the Bourbon? This recipe sounds incredible however I can’t have any alcohol due to medication I am taking. Is it possible to make it without the bourbon or by substituting it with something else?

• djtonyb — May 24th, 2014 @ 8:30 pm

I’d use a cup of apple cider or white grape juice instead.

Luisa O'Halloran — May 26, 2014 @ 3:15 pm

Okay, they’re cooking in the crock pot as we speak… I would love to hear from some people who have actually made these! I followed the directions exactly! (Well, I added more bacon, because what ya gonna do with 1/4 lb of bacon ends???) :) It smells glorious btw! <3

Luisa O'Halloran — May 26, 2014 @ 9:30 pm

They were a little too boozy for me, next time I’ll omit the bourbon altogether. Gonna continue cooking them down to see if the booziness goes away. Otherwise, great recipe! Will use canned beans next time too, these ones took a LONG time! :D Really great flavor though, and made cornbread muffins to go with them!
    Really yummy ;)

debra — June 3, 2014 @ 2:44 pm

These look & sound incredible! Has anyone tried this recipe w/out bacon? Just wondering if it can be done meat-free or w/ a bacon-substitute (when cooking for vegetarians)? As a carnivore, it’s hard to imagine them tasting good sans pork, but sometimes you must accomodate. Looking fwd to any advice. Thx!

debra — June 3, 2014 @ 2:52 pm

These look & sound incredible! Has anyone tried this recipe w/out bacon? Just wondering if it can be done meat-free or w/ a bacon-substitute (when cooking for vegetarians)? Has anyone found a worthy alternative that still results in baked beans with a smoky, bbq flavor? Looking fwd to any & all responses. Thx!

Jennifer — June 17, 2014 @ 1:23 pm

I’m curious if regular white vinegar can be substituted for the apple cider vinegar. Can it be an equal substitution, or a combo of white vinegar and apple juice, or no substitution at all? Thanks!

Jackie — June 30, 2014 @ 12:24 pm

Should I use ground mustard like the spice, or ground mustard like the condiment?

• david — August 30th, 2014 @ 7:57 am

this is what I need to find out also as I’m buying ingredients for this today,i’ll probably just go with the powdered mustard though :/

Debi Winsberg — August 10, 2014 @ 9:17 am

I’m making these beans now and I am disappointed in the flavor and texture. Very soupy and boozy. Followed every instruction. Our picnic is this afternoon. Turning up the heat and added some bbq sauce to try to salvage. After investing all the time and money on ingredients I am feeling very frustrated.

davor — February 18, 2015 @ 2:57 am

Isn’t that a bit much sugar?

Doug — February 21, 2015 @ 10:43 am

I like to try different baked bean recipes & this one didn’t disappoint. I used a dutch oven instead of slow cooker (4 hours cook time at 350F). Used scotch instead of bourbon (also a bit less than called for) & cut back brown sugar to 2/3 cup.

Sandi — March 10, 2015 @ 8:10 pm

I can’t find the word “Print”, so I can try your recipe. Is it here somewhere? I would love to have the recipe. Thanks much

gareth — March 22, 2015 @ 1:22 am

Awesome recipe! This is our go-to breakfast bean recipe for camping!!

Jennifer — July 6, 2015 @ 1:56 pm

Thanks so much for posting this recipe. I just made this for my July 4th party and it was a huge success. I doubled the recipe (except the bourbon, as we had so many kids that might not like the bourbon taste) and it turned out fabulous. Everyone loved them! Thanks again!