I did something monumental this weekend.

Well, for me.

I actually planted something, like a vegetable, in a pot! At my house.

I had a bag of manure on my driveway and everything and I’d like to think that this is the start of a new me, buuuuut I complained the entire time. Not so surprising.

And yes, on this blog we declare tomatoes a vegetable. Seriously, don’t even start.

Ooooh so look at this bread.

So seedy right? Seedy in the good way, not seedy in the creeper way. It’s the harvest bread from Whole Foods and I could just chomp the entire loaf down in a few bites. It’s that fabulous.

…and look at this…

SO MANY VEGETABLES. Not the vegetables I planted, but so what?

Well, okay whatever. Maybe not. But lots of green and red stuff. Things that you can trick yourself into thinking are straight up veg. Basically I ate a salad on seeded bread.

Some of you may recall how over the last two years I’ve developed a snack fascination with toasted baguettes covered in tomatoes, basil, balsamic and fresh mozz to the point of golden bubbles. A very healthy addiction of sorts.

This is that, with another little bread hat. And roasted tomatoes…

These tomatoes get so sweet… and are almost reminiscent of a sauce right there on the sandwich. Sort of makes me want to like tomato sauce. Plus, we all know that roasting is the ONLY way I’ll eat anything that grows outdoors and is not of the fruit variety. With the melty cheese and the basil leaves… it was totally summer on a plate.

But the best part by far is the balsamic reduction, especially since I am a vinegar freak. I’ve been chewing on brine-y things since my crawling days, like olives and pickles and what not, so a sandwich like this appeals to both my sweet and sour side. And seriously, anytime something that looks like this can be considered healthy is pretty much the best day ever. Monday, you’re okay.

Roasted Tomato Caprese Grilled Cheese with Balsamic Glaze

serves 2

6 tomatoes (vine or roma), sliced about 1/2 inch thick

1-2 tablespoons olive oil

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/2 teaspoon pepper

1/2 cup balsamic vinegar

3-4 ounces fresh mozzarella

12-15 basil leaves

4 slices seedy bread

Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Place tomatoes on a nonstick baking sheet and drizzle with olive oil, salt and pepper. Roast for 45-50 minutes. While tomatoes are roasting, add vinegar to a small saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce to a very low simmer and cook for 10-15 minutes, until liquid reduces by about half and is slightly syrupy. Remove from heat, pour vinegar in a bowl or glass to pour, and let sit.

Once tomatoes are finished, heat a large griddle or skillet over medium heat. Brush the outsides of each slice of bread with olive oil, then place mozzarella on one slide, followed by tomatoes, basil (feel free to shred it if you’d like), more tomatoes and more mozzarella. Cook until cheese is melty and each side is golden, about 5 minutes per side. Serve immediately drizzle with balsamic.

FYI… this is my dinner tonight. Again.

132 Responses to “Roasted Tomato Caprese Grilled Cheese.”

Simply Life — May 21, 2012 @ 6:58 am

oooh I would LOVE this sandwich!

Miz — May 21, 2012 @ 6:59 am

OOOH AND I WANT IT TO BE MINE.

Lauren at Keep It Sweet — May 21, 2012 @ 7:04 am

I absolutely love roasted tomatoes… these sandwiches look heavenly!

Kim in MD — May 21, 2012 @ 7:09 am

I’m proud of you for planting a tomato plant! This sandwich looks incredible, and the photo of you drizzling the balsamic reduction on it is stunning! I’m craving this sandwich now, but it’s going to have to wait….I am making Pizza Stuffed Mushrooms for lunch! ;-)

Erika - The Teenage Taste — May 21, 2012 @ 7:09 am

Good, soft, mozzarella cheese is my weakness. This sandwich looks absolutely stunning. I don’t blame you for eating it two meals in a row!

Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers — May 21, 2012 @ 7:12 am

My favorite kind of sandwich! I love the Caprese and your sandwich looks incredible!!!

Rachel Cooks — May 21, 2012 @ 7:16 am

This looks amazing! I love caprese–I could eat this every night of the week.

Maria — May 21, 2012 @ 7:20 am

I am drooling right before I leave for school. Lovely ha.

Sally @ Spontaneous Hausfrau — May 21, 2012 @ 7:21 am

That balsamic glaze drizzled all over that sandwich kinda makes me want to die right now. SO GOOD.

Sarena (The Non Dairy Queen) — May 21, 2012 @ 7:27 am

I LOVE roasted tomatoes. I hate eating those little tomatoes raw, but I absolutely love roasting them. They get sweeter and juicier. This is definitely my kind of sandwich! I am so ready for my tomatoes to be ready for picking and eating!

I thought about you this weekend. I visited my grandmother alone for the weekend and it was such an amazing trip. We talked life, love, past and future…you always make me think of my grandmother when you talk about yours.

I hope you have a great week!

• Jessica — May 21st, 2012 @ 9:39 am

Oh I love this so much.

Sally @ sally's baking addiction — May 21, 2012 @ 7:28 am

caprese… my favorite kind of salad! and now available in GRILLED CHEESE form? I die.

Rachel @ Baked by Rachel — May 21, 2012 @ 7:36 am

How can something I despise be so pretty?

Sahra — May 21, 2012 @ 8:19 am

Wow this is so weird because I was thinking of making a tomato, mozzarella sandwich for lunch with balsamic vinegar and all!! But your version looks better than what I was imagining, maybe I’ll try this! :)

Villy @ For the love of Feeding — May 21, 2012 @ 8:24 am

Lunch, dinner, breakfast, repeat! Awesome!

bridget {bake at 350} — May 21, 2012 @ 8:34 am

tomatoes = totally a vegetable.

this sandwich = dreamy.

Claire @ Live and Love to Eat — May 21, 2012 @ 8:50 am

I make a way uglier version of this sandwich – yours looks amazing. I can’t get enough of balsamic either!

DessertForTwo — May 21, 2012 @ 8:52 am

1. I’m so proud you planted something! I hope it gets full sun :)
    2. This must be my dinner. Now!

Barbara @ Barbara Bakes — May 21, 2012 @ 8:54 am

Good luck with your garden. The sandwich looks fabulous!

Bev Weidner — May 21, 2012 @ 9:03 am

That is the best thing I’ve ever looked at.

Ever.

Lynne @ 365 Days of Baking — May 21, 2012 @ 9:03 am

You had me at roasted. That picture with the balsamic vinegar drizzled all over the sandwich is absolutely incredible and just makes me want to dive right in.
    Yay! A garden!!! There’s nothing like fresh veggies out of your own backyard…and the best thing, if you get an abundance of them, you can share them with your neighbors! *wishes she was Jessica’s neighbor* ;-)

Ryan @ Spicy Richmond — May 21, 2012 @ 9:06 am

I too am taking my first stab at gardening. Fingers crossed I don’t kill them. Also, would it be wrong to have this for breakfast? Cause it’s sounding pretty damn good right now.

Maria — May 21, 2012 @ 9:10 am

Pinned and will be making VERY soon! LOVE!

Katrina — May 21, 2012 @ 9:14 am

YESSSS!! This sounds so awesome. Also, congrats on planting a vegetable! haha

Heather (Heather's Dish) — May 21, 2012 @ 9:22 am

the bag of manure totally makes it the start of a new you! i’ll count it :)

Lauren — May 21, 2012 @ 9:25 am

Ohhhhhhhhh yesssssssssss.

Emilie @ Emilie's Enjoyables — May 21, 2012 @ 9:43 am

caprese is the epitome of summer food, love this!

katrina — May 21, 2012 @ 9:57 am

Immediately pinning so I remember to make this amazing sandwich! Yummo.

Gina @ Running to the Kitchen — May 21, 2012 @ 10:01 am

This = summer. Love it.

Nancy @ CouponClippingCook — May 21, 2012 @ 10:14 am

Looks so healthy and delicious too. Perfect for a light meal.

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat — May 21, 2012 @ 10:32 am

Balsamic vinegar is to me what brown butter is to you (aka heaven, the cure for all things evil, the only condiment I’ll pay $24+/bottle for, my anti-drug). This sounds fabulous!!

Averie @ Averie Cooks — May 21, 2012 @ 10:38 am

These look incredible! I love tomatoes on grilled cheese and I love caprese salads and balsamic reduction. I want everything about this meal!

Robyn Stone | Add a Pinch — May 21, 2012 @ 10:44 am

This looks like the perfect sandwich! those tomatoes alone have me drooling!

Katie @ Veggie and the Beast — May 21, 2012 @ 10:53 am

I have been ALL about what I call “Adult Grilled Cheese” lately, and this is a PERFECT example. I may also put avocado on it. Mmmm NOM.

Cait's Plate — May 21, 2012 @ 10:59 am

I’m pretty sure I could happily eat that for dinner every night this entire week. Looks pretty delicious and congrats on your planting adventure! I need to focus on getting myself a green thumb…

Allie@sweetpotatobites — May 21, 2012 @ 11:05 am

caprese salads/sandwiches are one of my faves – i always order them at italian restaurants. the roasted tomatoes just puts it over the top.

Mindy@FSLblog — May 21, 2012 @ 11:20 am

Caprese ANYTHING is my fave. This has me salivating lol! Congrats on the gardening experience. I saw it on Instagram and laughed at your caption :)

Alyssa — May 21, 2012 @ 11:55 am

You definitely can’t go wrong with anything caprese!

Stephanie — May 21, 2012 @ 12:09 pm

I have all the ingredients! I know what I’ll be making for lunch! Thanks!

Meghan @ After the Ivy League — May 21, 2012 @ 12:21 pm

Roasted tomatoes..yum! I think I’ll add an egg and call it breakfast :)

Ashley @ Hudson on the Potomac — May 21, 2012 @ 1:05 pm

Ummm YUM! I made a caprese salad last night, potentially making this sandwich tonight with the leftovers!!!

Laura — May 21, 2012 @ 1:30 pm

My mouth is watering! Balsamic vinegar reductions are something that I put on everything, ice cream, fish, you name it, it tastes great on it!

NerdyBaker — May 21, 2012 @ 1:48 pm

Everything about this post, just looks amazing!

Cassie — May 21, 2012 @ 2:51 pm

That balsamic drizzle is amazing. For some reason, I have not been able to get enough grilled cheese lately. This one screams summer too. I love it!

Rachel @ The Avid Appetite — May 21, 2012 @ 2:53 pm

Yep, I’d eat this for dinner every day! Looks delicious and summery…wishing I had one of these right now instead of my lame salad :)

Kristen @ notsodomesticated — May 21, 2012 @ 3:02 pm

Grown-up grilled cheese sandwiches are pretty much the best thing ever. Besides chocolate. And ice cream. But a close 3rd place. Yum!

Victoria — May 21, 2012 @ 3:17 pm

That sounds delicious!!

Georgia @ The Comfort of Cooking — May 21, 2012 @ 3:23 pm

Thank you! Tomatoes are SO a vegetable! And goodness gracious does that look mouthwatering. Going to go rob my basil plant of a few leaves and make a caprese soon!

Donna B. — May 21, 2012 @ 3:27 pm

I love how slowly the plate get’s more… balsamic-y… as the photos go on… from a little to DOUSED. ♥
    GRATS on the planting!
    I grow about 80lbs of tomatoes a year [not counting cherry-types] so I’m cheering you on from the side lines!

tweal — May 21, 2012 @ 3:33 pm

This looks amazing! I love a good sandwich. Tomato and basil are the best flavour combo, but I never thought of roasting the tomatoes for a sandwich. And I usually use goat cheese but I am trusting you here and going for the mozzarella. I can’t wait to have this for dinner.

honeywhatscooking — May 21, 2012 @ 3:58 pm

looks delicious, i love caprese anything, especially their grilled cheese sandwiches.
    delish!

1. Pingback: This and That | Two Peas & Their Pod

2. Pingback: What’s Cooking « SweetPromises

3. Pingback: Roasted Tomato Caprese Panzanella Salad | How Sweet It Is

4. Pingback: Roasted Tomato Caprese Panzanella. | Lifestyle Pins

5. Pingback: Roasted Tomato Caprese Panzanella. » A Bowl Full Of Blogs

6. Pingback: Roasted Tomato Caprese Grilled Cheese | The Luxury Spot

7. Pingback: Stylish Sunday | this is erica

8. Pingback: 10 cheesy Father’s Day toasties : emerald + ella blog

9. Pingback: 12 cheesy Father’s Day toasties : emerald + ella blog

10. Pingback: Fontina + Blackberry Basil Smash Grilled Cheese | How Sweet It Is

11. Pingback: 32 Melty, Gooey, Savory, Fruity, and Just Plain Over-the-Top Grilled Cheese Sandwiches | Kitchen Treaty

12. Pingback: Balsamic Brussels Sprouts Grilled Cheese. | Lifestyle Pins

13. Pingback: Balsamic brussels sprouts grilled cheese | All Recipes

14. Pingback: grilled cheese with roasted tomato and avocado | crimson cravings

15. Pingback: roasted tomato caprese grilled cheese with balsamic vinegar glaze | crimson cravings

16. Pingback: roasted tomato panzanella salad

17. Pingback: California Caprese Grilled Cheese | Veggie and the Beast

18. Pingback: 7 days of fool-proof recipes for the non-cook | a light edit

19. Pingback: Red Wine Marinated Flank Steak with Cherry Tomato Caprese Salsa | How Sweet It Is

20. Pingback: Red Wine Marinated Flank Steak with Cherry Tomato Caprese Salsa. | Food & Recipes

21. Pingback: yum yum yum |

22. Pingback: at the heart of it |

23. Pingback: 15 Sweet and Savory Recipes

24. Pingback: Food Love – Toasted Sandwiches (or Grilled Cheese for you USA peeps) | Food & Nonsense

25. Pingback: Roasted Tomato Caprese Grilled Cheese | Making Life Sweet | Lauren Hardy

26. Pingback: 5 Best Sandwiches - packitblog.com/

27. Pingback: White Pizza Grilled Cheese | How Sweet It Is

28. Pingback: Gegrilltes Käsesandwich Caprese mit gerösteten Tomaten und Balsamico Reduktion | Ranchinvest

29. Pingback: Grilled Shrimp Caprese - Food Recipe