Friday… thank goodness you’re here.

Seriously.

And the only reason I’m saying that is because I had an almost actual heart attack last night while watching Grey’s Anatomy, another show I’m not so invested in until the season finale rolls around, and really, I think I almost died. I mean, I’m serious. I had phantom pain. Or something. I just kept talking to my husband like they were people in the universe, like this was true life non-MTV division, and just completely and utterly like… losing my mind. I mean… oh.mah.gah. I have heart palpitations just thinking about it. And all he could say to comfort me was that “they should just bring Izzie back, because you know she saved that stupid deer once so I’m sure she could save everyone here.” Whatever. I’m not throwing stones.

Needless to say I had a straight up meltdown and felt anxiety all day leading up to the episode and cannot stop considering this one minor detail: the life I need to get. Also, I sort of feel like I could do all sorts of surgeries on myself in the wilderness now if needed. Because I’m not a doctor but I watch them on TV.

And then I couldn’t even sleep a wink.

But now that you’ve clicked that big black “X” in the corner because I’m thoroughly ridiculous, pathetic and disillusioned, let’s discuss chicken wings that can be made in one skillet and one skillet only. They definitely rank up there on that list of foods that are a boatload of work to eat for a super small result, and I’ll be the first to admit that they are last on my list of snacks – even after multiple adult beverages are consumed – for the mess factor and the tiny yield.

BUT.

These… these…

In my world, anything thai flavored is fantabulously fantastic and to say we went to town on these wings would be a crazy understatement. And then after that, someone I know dipped about a thousand pretzels in the remaining skillet sauce. Why couldn’t Grey’s be that awesome?

Sticky Thai Chicken Wings

[the one skillet idea came from food and wine]

serves 2-4

1 teaspoon-sized knob of ginger, grated

1 lime, juiced

1/2 tablespoon soy sauce

1/4 cup chopped peanuts

1/2 cup fresh cilantro

4 green onions, sliced

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Pat chicken wings completely dry then season with salt and pepper. Combine chili sauce, vinegar, coconut milk, sugar, garlic, ginger, peanut butter, soy sauce and lime juice, mixing with a fork.

Heat a large oven-safe skillet over medium-high heat and add olive oil. Add chicken wings and sear, about 2-3 minutes per side. Remove wings and set on a plate, then reduce heat to medium-low. Add chili sauce mixture and bring to boil. Let simmer for 1-2 minutes, whisking constantly.

Add wings back into the sauce, tossing to coat. Place skillet in the oven and bake for 25-30 minutes. Remove and spoon the sauce over top of the wings, then garnish with peanuts, cilantro and onions.

If you made it this far, you’re an angel.

98 Responses to “Sticky Thai Chicken Wings.”

Laura @ GotChocolate — May 19, 2012 @ 2:10 pm

WOW! I LOVE Thai food and chicken. This looks like a pretty easy recipe and easy-to-find ingredients. AWESOME! Thanks for sharing!

Syd — May 20, 2012 @ 12:06 am

Have you been to Pok Pok in Portland? They have the most amazing fish sauce wings. Your post totally reminded me of them!

Cassie — May 20, 2012 @ 10:35 am

Love these flavors…my husband is drooling already over these.

Natalie @ Cooking for My Kids — May 20, 2012 @ 5:22 pm

Wow! Those wings look amazing!

And, please do not tell me that you are pathetic because then I would be pathetic, too. I went from a total high after watching American Idol to a total low after watching Grey’s Anatomy. I kept thinking, “I am a mom with three kids. I cannot handle this kind of a roller coaster on a Thursday night.” Friday, maybe…but definitely not Thursday. :)

Jennifer — May 20, 2012 @ 7:57 pm

Oh, wow, these look amazing. Good enough to help heart palpitations cease.

Meghan @ After the Ivy League — May 21, 2012 @ 12:16 pm

Mmm…love anything Thai flavored! I’ve had your Thai chicken enchiladas bookmarked foreverrr. Gotta get around to making those.

And Grey’s…was that serious? I already told myself I would officially stop watching if another Grey’s original left the show (Meredith, Derek, Christina, Alex, or Bailey). So what happens instead? The only non-original I actually liked……UGH.

betty — May 22, 2012 @ 5:48 pm

i seriously love this. i’m still stuck in a universe that marissa will magically come back to like then seth, ryan, summer, and marissa can be one big happy family. i love greys.. but i seriously consider the OC gang my friends, and i miss them. maybe i shouldn’t feel so comfortable admitting this here, but i do. and i love everything thai, so these i will be making soon!

lara — May 29, 2012 @ 2:31 pm

wow!!!! Thank you so much I like it… :)

Emily — May 30, 2012 @ 9:07 am

THANK YOU!!! I’ve been to Thailand and it is my favorite place in the world. It is hard to find something that tastes like Thai food, and your dish came very very close!! It was fantastic!!! Thank you very much!!

Cate — July 13, 2012 @ 11:58 am

These are being made tonight – I must pick up some Thai beer! :)

Jackie — December 6, 2012 @ 12:48 am

Any suggestions on thai side dishes to serve the chicken with?

JB

Lisa Evanoff — December 29, 2012 @ 8:56 pm

I made these tonight and they were wonderful!

Alyssa — January 9, 2013 @ 3:39 am

LOVE this recipe. I don’t like chicken with bones in them, and have made this with both chicken thighs and breast meat and both delicious. With the chicken breasts I cut them into chunks and dredged them in a bit of flour (like your sesame chicken recipe) before searing. Delicious over brown rice and some veggies!

Sara Shedlosky — February 11, 2013 @ 10:12 am

I made these last night with chicken breasts and they were a huge hit! My boyfriend loves spicy food so these were perfect. Thanks!!!

Elissa — July 10, 2013 @ 7:55 pm

So delicious! I made these tonight with boneless, skinless chicken thighs and served with a side of soba noodles and veggies!

Wendy Orr — August 23, 2013 @ 4:56 am

Delicious! Thank you for sharing them . My husband says they’re the best wings he’s ever tasted, and I agree!

Michael — January 27, 2014 @ 1:47 pm

Stumbled upon these because someone suggested your thai chicken quinoa recipe and I NEED to make these. AnythingThai is simply delicious.

Kabir — April 11, 2014 @ 4:54 pm

These are ABSOLUTELY amazing!!!!

Kendra m. — April 14, 2014 @ 8:49 pm

Just made these tonight. Wow! My boyfriend loved them and so did I! I was afraid at first the sauce wouldn’t thicken up but it totally did in the oven. Amazing! Thanks for sharing!