I’m in pain.

Sweet Corn + Roasted Jalapeño Hummus I howsweeteats.com

First up, I took a walk yesterday when it was SO cloudy that I felt rain drops pelting my head. I am not the dumb girl who doesn’t wear sunscreen when it’s cloudy (um, have you seen my pastiness?), but apparently yesterday… I was the dumb girl who didn’t wear sunscreen when it was cloudy.

I’m a lovely shade a maraschino and a treat to be hugged.

Second, when I made this hummus, I started chanting “wash your hands, wash your hands, wash your hands, then cover them in lemon juice” the instant I finished seeding and chopping the jalapenos so I wouldn’t forget. But then it turned into, “well, I’ll just load the dishwasher before covering my hands in lemon juice.” Then that turned into “I’m just going to sanitize the counters before this whole lemon juice debacle.” And that led to “how about I vaccuum really quick before dealing with the lemons.” And that obviously turned into me peeling my contacts out of my peepers a few hours later (with multiple hand washes, but no lemon juice dousing) and having an absolute meltdown.

Speaking of meltdowns, I think it’s like… my 2012 thing. Melting down. I claim to have a “meltdown” almost every single day, sometimes involving the lack of decent produce at my local dump of a grocery store, or the huge creeper of a spider spinning it’s web outside my kitchen window and then trapping a fly, and my personal favorite: losing it over the way my husband rips the sheets off the mattress mid-sleep every darn night. Chances are, if you speak to me in real life at any point in the day, I will tell you about a meltdown I’m having. Which will probably make you want to stick a jalapeno finger in your eye.

Sweet Corn + Roasted Jalapeño Hummus I howsweeteats.com

And if you’re wondering why I allllllways talk about touching my eyes and face with hot-peppered hands every single freaking time I post a recipe with jalapenos, it’s because I touch my eyes and face with hot-peppered hands every single freaking time I made a recipe with jalapenos. I’m a slow learner. I just can’t get my act together.

But whatever.

A few weeks ago my cousin Lacy made some roasted garlic and jalapeno hummus, and told me to stop on my way home from yoga to eat some. So I did. And I pretty much devoured spoonfuls of hummus for dinner that night. It was delightful. And delicious. And I’ve been craving more homemade hummus ever since.

This dip slash spread slash spoon-meal is incredibly fluffy, possessing almost a “whipped” texture which I can only assume comes from the corn. It has a bit of a bite to it, but nothing too spicy or unmanageable when it comes to a bag of blue corn chips.

But really, what isn’t manageable when it comes to a bag of blue corn chips? That answer would be nothing.

Sweet Corn + Roasted Jalapeño Hummus I howsweeteats.com

Sweet Corn + Jalapeno Hummus

makes about 1 cup

2 medium jalapenos

1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed (and peeled if you have patience)

1/2 cup sweet yellow corn

3-4 tablespoons olive oil

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/2 teaspoon pepper

To roast the jalapenos, preheat the broiler in your oven and place peppers on a baking sheet. Broil on all sides, flipping once charred. Remove and let cool completely. Additionally, you can grill or even “roast” the peppers on your gas stove (um, I did this) – whatever is easiest for you! Once cooled, chop of the tops and slice the peppers down the middle, remove the seeds and chop.

Add chickpeas, corn and peppers to the food processor. Blend until combined, then slowly stream in olive oil with the processor running. Add in salt and pepper, then blend once more. Taste and season more if desired. Top with additional corn or peppers if desired and a drizzle of olive oil. Serve with crackers and chips!

Sweet Corn + Roasted Jalapeño Hummus I howsweeteats.com

If you need me I’ll be up to my elbows in lemon juice all day.

134 Responses to “Sweet Corn + Roasted Jalapeno Hummus.”

Maryea {Happy Healthy Mama} — May 24, 2012 @ 7:04 am

Ooh I love the idea of hummus with a little bite to it!

Krystal — May 24, 2012 @ 7:05 am

Oh goodness, this sounds delicious! And I totally rage whenever my husband pulls the sheets off the mattress too. They’re such a pain to get back on! lol

Rachel Cooks — May 24, 2012 @ 7:12 am

Sounds delicious! I bet it would be great on some kind of vegetarian taco.

Sally @ sally's baking addiction — May 24, 2012 @ 7:15 am

The same thing happened to me before too Jessica! The jalapeno leftover on my hands got in my eyes when I was making guacamole a few weeks ago. I was in so much pain that I had to go to bed. It was 7pm.

This hummus looks INCREDIBLE. I’ve had jalapeno hummus before but I looooooooove the addition of sweet corn. yum yum yum. I put hummus on…everything.

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey — May 24, 2012 @ 7:28 am

I am the master at touching my eyes after cutting up hot things. I’m not too bright.

Kim in MD — May 24, 2012 @ 7:33 am

I am laughing so hard right now…WITH you, not AT you! :-) I think you need to invest in some food service gloves, Jessica. I buy them at my local BJ’s or Costco. Let me know if you want me to send you a box! :-)

The hummus looks amazing! I can’t wait to make it and dive in with some blue corn chips!

• Andrea — May 24th, 2012 @ 8:45 am

Gloves are such a life (or eye) saver!! I panicked when I ran out but improvised with baggies. My husband looked at me like I was crazy, but it worked.

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat — May 24, 2012 @ 7:34 am

Oh SNAP! I happen to have 2 jalapenos sitting in my fridge right now, just begging to be roasted!

Vicki — May 24, 2012 @ 7:37 am

I have been having mini meltdowns every day too…already have one in this morning because, after waiting ALL week, the washing machine still isn’t free and I am down to my last pair of undergarments. While I was having my fit, I realized I was stupid, but too stupid to stop. Lord have mercy, being a girl with emotional hormones is tough.

Nicole H. @ Baking it on My Own — May 24, 2012 @ 7:39 am

This hummus looks sooo good. I’m a huge fan of jalapenos so I can’t wait to make this. I learned the same hard jalapeno lession many bottles of eye soothing drops later. I read pioneer womans tutorial on how to chop jalapenos and I haven’t had any issues since. I also learned that if you hold the jalapeno up and slice the sides step to bottom you shave around the seeds. You end up with 4 strips, but the seeds, top, and bottom are still in place. Not touching the seeds is what has really helped me.

I’m with ya in the meltdown department lately… I don’t know what it is! I think I may just need some serious retail therapy.

Lauren at Keep It Sweet — May 24, 2012 @ 7:43 am

I’ve never seen corn in hummus but now I’m intrigued!

Villy @ For the love of Feeding — May 24, 2012 @ 8:03 am

Ohhh, I felt your pain reading this.. But on a happy note the hummus turned out amazing!

alyssa - fashion fitness foodie — May 24, 2012 @ 8:11 am

I think this is the hummus that will get my fiance to at least try it!

Lisa — May 24, 2012 @ 8:17 am

This sounds delicious! The post was even better though because about a month ago, I went through 2 pairs of contacts the morning AFTER I chopped adobe chilies. I washed my hands numerous times between that night and the next morning and while my eyes burned that night when I took my contacts out, it STILL burned the next morning! And after trying a new pair, I gave up and wore my dreaded glasses that day. I never knew about this lemon juice trick and will definitely try it after I make this hummus.

Becca — May 24, 2012 @ 8:18 am

My boyfriend moves around so much at night (and quite violently too) that every morning was a meltdown over the unmade bed. One day at the grocery store I found these clips (theyre more like a tube) that you put on your sheets that keep them on the mattress. No more meltdowns.

• Jessica — May 24th, 2012 @ 9:11 am

Oh mah gah.

Simply Life — May 24, 2012 @ 8:19 am

definitely been these with the jalapeno fingers- not fun!

Jenna — May 24, 2012 @ 8:35 am

I was having a meltdown yesterday about my life being the-polar-opposite-of-exciting; and then I saw a bear across the field.
    The world works in mysterious ways. (and by mysterious, I mean charmingly terrifying.)

• Jessica — May 24th, 2012 @ 9:11 am

If I saw a bear I’d probably have an actual meltdown and die.

Cait's Plate — May 24, 2012 @ 8:47 am

The hummus looks delicious…but so do those crackers! What kind are they?

• Jessica — May 24th, 2012 @ 9:10 am

Trader Joe’s multigrain pita bite crackers! SO GOOD.

• Cait's Plate — May 24th, 2012 @ 10:01 am

Awesome, thank you! Definitely putting these on my list for my next TJ’s trip :)

Katie@Cozydelicious — May 24, 2012 @ 8:53 am

I’ve added just about everything possible to hummus – or so I thought. I have yet to try corn in hummus and I can’t wait!!! How did I not think of this before? It sounds wonderful!

amanda @ fake ginger — May 24, 2012 @ 8:56 am

Omg. I recently decided that I hate hummus (which I’ll get over in a few months I’m sure) but I would totally eat it if it had corn in it. I bet this was so awesome!

• Jessica — May 24th, 2012 @ 9:09 am

I’m not a huge fan of plain hummus… it must have flavor for me!

Amanda @ The Dormestic Goddess — May 24, 2012 @ 8:57 am

I am super paranoid about my pepper hands touching my eyes! I’ve never heard the lemon juice trick though, I’m going to try that soon! I wonder if using roasted corn (and peppers too!) would add a nice smokey flavor to it. Hmm…

• Jessica — May 24th, 2012 @ 9:09 am

Lemon juice is the only thing that works for me – make sure to get it under your nails!

Lynne @ 365 Days of Baking — May 24, 2012 @ 8:57 am

OUCH!!!!! Oh, you poor thing! I don’t know if there’s anything worse than burning eyes – I remember there being times when they burned so badly I couldn’t open my eye wide enough or long enough to get the contact out. Fortunately, it hasn’t happened in a very long time.
    Hummus has been on my list to make for a while. I keep saying I’m going to make it and then forget – this is probably the reminder I needed.
    Hope you feel better, Jessica! ((((virtual hugs))))

Emilie @ Emilie's Enjoyables — May 24, 2012 @ 9:04 am

I’ve experienced many a “meltdown” when taking contacts out after using jalapenos. You’re not the only slow learner.

Lindsay @ Lindsay's List — May 24, 2012 @ 9:06 am

I’ve never heard of the lemon juice thing!

Jaime — May 24, 2012 @ 9:13 am

Are those the flax seed pita chip crackers from Trader Joe’s? I LOVE those! Try them with the blueberry vanilla goat cheese they have and you’ll be in heaven.

• Jessica — May 24th, 2012 @ 9:15 am

Yes! Faves.

Chelsy — May 24, 2012 @ 9:19 am

haha! I did the same thing once with jalapenos…those sneaky little…yea, I was itching for days and wouldn’t you know? The juice seeped into every cut on my hands, and hang nail! Ouch!

Noelle — May 24, 2012 @ 9:24 am

I am deathly afraid of handling ANY pepper and then touching my baby. If I have done it to myself I am bound to get her and so I have not peeled jalapenos in a while. I DID use gloves to seed poblanos…this dip looks good. I might try it with its sister pepper, roasted poblanos. YUM!

Sarah — May 24, 2012 @ 9:43 am

No tahini in this hummus recipe??

rose — May 24, 2012 @ 9:48 am

So being middle eastern and making hummus all the time this looks amazing! NExt time you make it try to add some tahini in it :)

Yum Yucky — May 24, 2012 @ 9:49 am

ha-ha-ha-ha-laypeeeenyo!
    (sorry, I just had to)
    xo

Bee (Quarter Life Crisis Cuisine) — May 24, 2012 @ 9:51 am

I ALWAYS do that with jalapenos! and I don’t even have contacts! Or I chew on my nail and get a shock, haha. This hummus looks fantastic too, I love the flavors :)

Jessica@AKitchenAddiction — May 24, 2012 @ 9:53 am

This sounds so good! I love the idea of adding sweet corn to it!

Stephanie — May 24, 2012 @ 9:56 am

Never heard of lemon juice, but I have heard of tea. Tasty looking hummus. =)

Ryan @ Spicy Richmond — May 24, 2012 @ 9:57 am

I’ve started wearing gloves (or sandwich bags – whatever the case may be) when I cut up jalapenos because I touched my face after cutting them up ONE TIME and I refuse to do it again. Can’t they just sell them already cut up?? Geez. But I love this idea!

Catalina @ Cake with Love — May 24, 2012 @ 10:07 am

I love the addition of corn in this hummus!

Aneta — May 24, 2012 @ 10:09 am

I really hope you will never have to get jalapenos pains ;(. Keeping fingers crossed.
    But I must say, this delicious looking hummus might be worth it. It’s on my to do list for next week :) .Corn and jalapenos season is almost here :)

Heather (Heather's Dish) — May 24, 2012 @ 10:20 am

ugh, i did the jalapeno thing just last week except i didn’t know about the lemon juice trick…so even after profusely scrubbing my hands i still totally burned my eye out of my skull a few minutes later. being blind is such a pain…

Lindsay — May 24, 2012 @ 10:30 am

Yum! I will definitely have to try this out!

Accidental Baby Maker — May 24, 2012 @ 10:36 am

I LOVE HUMMUS!

no like seriously love !!!

But I’m the only one in my house that does, and this recipe is right up my ally!

THANKS!!!!

Joy — May 24, 2012 @ 10:41 am

My husband and I are on a hummus craze right now, so this came at the perfect time. Thanks, Jessica!

Meghan @ After the Ivy League — May 24, 2012 @ 10:46 am

Yum! Homemade hummus. Sweet corn is one of the only vegetables I would eat as a child, and I always feel super nostalgic when I have some. This looks like a delicious recipe to try with it!

Claire — May 24, 2012 @ 10:57 am

I am just impressed with all that cleaning you completed before sticking jalapeno fingers in your eyes!

• Jessica — May 24th, 2012 @ 10:08 pm

I know… very unlike me.

Natalie @ Cooking for My Kids — May 24, 2012 @ 11:07 am

I cannot even put into words how much I want this for lunch right now. It looks amazing!

Laura — May 24, 2012 @ 11:12 am

I got them in my eyes one time and it will never happen again!!

Tiffany — May 24, 2012 @ 11:17 am

Man lady these past few posts have been over the top making me hungry. Its not even noon and I need hummus now.

Averie @ Averie Cooks — May 24, 2012 @ 11:18 am

Mmm, this is perfect for summer and chips and bbq’s and a great way to use corn. Love summer sweet corn!

Megan Q — May 24, 2012 @ 11:20 am

I’ll have to try out the lemon trick! With my luck, the juice will probably find all the little cuts on my hands …. ouch!

collette — May 24, 2012 @ 11:31 am

Sounds yummy!! I bet if you roasted the corn it would be even better!!!! I’m gonna have to try this!!

collette — May 24, 2012 @ 11:32 am

PS Thanks for the tip on lemon juice!! I have never heard that and am constantly touching my face too!! Lips, eyes, nose, they all hurt!!

Paula @ Vintage Kitchen — May 24, 2012 @ 11:34 am

Incredible idea for hummus! Spicy and sweet..
    When a woman sleeps alone, the bed, the next morning, has only her side of the sheets opened and maybe a pillow fell off the bed, at most… I just don´t know what men do to leave everything so twisted and tangled together…! Really, we should videotape it, since it obviously happens all over the world

• Jessica — May 24th, 2012 @ 10:07 pm

Exactly!

Cassie — May 24, 2012 @ 11:38 am

It never fails that I touch my eyes after handling jalapenos. Loving this hummus!

1. Pingback: four cheers for friday. - meals & moves | meals & moves

2. Pingback: memorial day eats « ciao mama

3. Pingback: Corn and Roasted Jalapeno Hummus | Flying on Jess Fuel

4. Pingback: Father's Day Recipe | Fathers Day Recipes | Gluten Free Recipes - The Healthy Apple

5. Pingback: Summer BBQ «

6. Pingback: Tasty Tuesday: Sweet Corn & Roasted Jalapeno Hummus | Mod City Mag

7. Pingback: summer veggie roundup | Love and Lemons

8. Pingback: Roasted Garlic & Jalapeno Sweet Corn Hummus

9. Pingback: Sweet Corn & Roasted Jalapeno Hummus | The Hungry Mile

10. Pingback: Sweet Corn + Jalapeno Hummus | Only Great Recipes

11. Pingback: Hummus Recipes | Green Vision

12. Pingback: 27 Perfect Potluck Dishes For A Summer BBQ : Eat-Best.com

13. Pingback: 27 Perfect Potluck Dishes For A Summer BBQ : Grandmas Cooking

14. Pingback: 27 Perfect Potluck Dishes For A Summer BBQ | Viral Dojo

15. Pingback: 27 Perfect Potluck Dishes For A Summer BBQ | Sharing Interesting Stuff, Updates News & Free Tips

16. Pingback: 27 Delicious Recipes For A Summer Potluck | Monthly Recipes

17. Pingback: 27 Delicious Recipes For A Summer Potluck |Parkkar Lifestyles and News

18. Pingback: The Orchid Boutique’s Top Picks for Summer Snacks (All Bikini-Body Friendly)! | Haute in Miami - a lifestyle blog by The Orchid Boutique

19. Pingback: 夏の有り合わせの食べ物の27のうまい調理法 | アメリカ最新美味しい~食事!こんな新しいメニュー見たことない!

20. Pingback: How To Shuck Corn Without Making A Scary, Hairy Messy Disaster | Hihid News

21. Pingback: 27 Delicious Recipes For A Summer Potluck | Daily Patriot News