1. Okay sooooo…. the dark chocolate bourbon cherry soda float had dark chocolate ice cream, bourbon and cherry soda. Basically, I wanted to swim in it.

2. True story: I could spent the rest of my life sitting in the same spot while someone massages or scratches my back. I wish I could hire a 24/7 masseuse slash back scratcher. My husband hates me. So do his prematurely arthritic hands.

3. My addiction to magazines is out of control. It’s a sickness, really. If you don’t believe, come over and see the 18 magazines sprawled throughout my living room at the moment. If only it was an exaggeration.

4. Neon… can’t stop, won’t stop. I will never quit you. I want my wardrobe to look like Barbie barfed all over it. I don’t care what anyone thinks.

4.5 Except I sort of care what everyone thinks, because I’m a super cliched, stereotypical, first-born girl in her 20s who suffers from major oldest child syndrome and needs constant reassurance. Just not when it comes to neon.

5. Let’s have our weekly Girls discussion! I personally thought the episode – in all of it’s outrageously uncomfortableness and awkwardness – was incredible. Probably my favorite so far. I just can’t help but stare at the TV with my eyes half-covered saying WHAT.

6. Unfortunately, 76% of my current vernacular is consisting only of quotes from Girls. I’m sure you can imagine how everyone that is not a 20-something female in a five mile radius of me feels when I open my mouth.

7. Things in my purse, junk and messiness edition.

That’s one out of about sixty-seven billion receipts that calls my purse home.

8. Um, so you know how I always talk about my obsession with Grape Nuts? Turns out, you can MAKE YOUR OWN. Seriously. What.the.heck.

9. I have developed a fascination with walking. My dad and grandpa have always been big walkers – walking in the morning, taking a stroll at lunch, maybe another after dinner… and now I’m hooked. It’s so relaxing. I just like to go outside each afternoon and walk in the sun and sing old people songs on my iPod while people look at me funny. But I’m pretty sure this will get old once the temps start hitting 90.

10. My weekend consisted of about 25 hours of work, 8 hours of Pinterest, 2 hours of cake baking and phone-dropping in frosting and 1 hour of shoe shopping since I refuse to stop wearing this one pair of wedges that have been falling apart for 3 years. This picture says a thousand words.

I’m just not sure what words.

11. I don’t have the space for a garden but I really want to grow some herbs and maybe tomatoes and possibly some gross green veggies to up my chances of consuming them. Can someone point me in the direction of how I could do this in pots? It’s so overwhelming for me. It’s like doing crafts.

12. Now please talk me into making dinner. Because as of right now a milkshake is looking pretty good.

96 Responses to “Tuesday Things.”

Jen — May 15, 2012 @ 4:36 pm

I now officially want Grape Nuts for dinner. Will be making an emergency Giant Eagle run for them after work…

Jessica — May 15, 2012 @ 4:36 pm

OMG WHAT WAS EVEN HAPPENING WITH ADAM?? Seriously. Like, the whole scene with him..doing… whatever he was doing.

Nightmares.

Great episode though. And I’m stealing those shoes. Kthanxbye.

• Jessica — May 15th, 2012 @ 4:40 pm

Wait, also… what was he doing with that blowtorch or whatever at the beginning? HE IS SO WEIRD.

• Kim — May 15th, 2012 @ 5:04 pm

UGH EXACTLY! GAH WHAT

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey — May 15, 2012 @ 4:37 pm

I have no clue about pot planting, but I do have a huge garden! It’s not too time consuming – it’s pretty therapeutic!

Brandy Crosby — May 15, 2012 @ 4:37 pm

You’re in luck! Tomatoes and herbs do BETTER in pots at our house. As do bell peppers.

kathleen @ the daily crumb — May 15, 2012 @ 4:39 pm

i have offered to pay my husband to scratch my back at night. head scratches are also pretty fantasti.

Kaelynn — May 15, 2012 @ 4:41 pm

OH MY GOD I can’t WAIT to go home and watch Girls. I missed this week’s episode but my roommate said it was so awkward and uncomfortable, she couldn’t stop laughing. I am sure I will be watching with my hands clasped on my mouth going WHAT ARE YOU DOING?!!! cause that’s how I watch every episode.

I enjoy your quirky web presence. and now I will be going home to make my own Grape-Nuts. even though I literally bought a box yesterday.

• Kaelynn — May 15th, 2012 @ 4:44 pm

ps, herbs grow super well in pots. I usually get a big one and then put two or three in one (basil and parsley, rosemary and cilantro, etc.) note that oregano and mint will both spread like wildfire.

I find tomatoes never grow big enough for me in pots. ground has always been better for me on the east coast. or try a Topsy Turvy? cause you know, they look so classy.

Erinn — May 15, 2012 @ 4:41 pm

I’m LOVIN’ neon also!! It’s so bright, and fun! Good thing I have 2 little girls that I can dress in neon and who don’t complain yet!
    Ugh! My husband always whines about how his “hands are cramping up” when I ask him to rub my back (baby)…another good reason I have 2 little girls, they’d rub my back all day long if I asked them!

Stephanie @ Life Tastes Like Food — May 15, 2012 @ 4:42 pm

That float…OH, THAT FLOAT. I could go for one of those suckers right now… :)

Sara — May 15, 2012 @ 4:42 pm

I think starting pretty soon on Thursday nights at Twin Lakes, old people come and play music at the pavilion. Like oldies music and stuff. If you’re into that kinda thing. Walking with live music around the lakes. You’re welcome.

Louisa @ The Heart Beats Faster — May 15, 2012 @ 4:42 pm

That soda float…drooling! Herbs in pots are great, especially if you can find really pretty pots. As said above, I’ve grown peppers inside too and they grow really well. Just make sure that the pots are big enough! Also, neon is awesome and so are those shoes!!!

Rebecca — May 15, 2012 @ 4:53 pm

Ooh, ooh, pick me!! (This was literally me in first grade, every time anybody asked a question. First born over here, too…please please please tell me that I’m correct and smart and awesome!!)

I plant things in containers because I live in a tiny second-floor apartment without a shred of yard. So my man built some planters that attach to our porch (instead of our windows). I’ve planted basil, parsely, cilantro and mint with great success. My planters are about three feet long, six inches wide and ten inches deep (plenty of room for those roots). I also had a tomato plant in a 5-gallon bucket (Lowes-add spray paint and bam! attractive, large pot for cheap) last summer, and he did really well until we got gallons of rain. The moral of the story is, make sure all your planters have holes in the bottom for drainage.

This summer I’m doing a strawberry plant instead of tomato, just for kicks. I’ve also heard that lettuce, peppers, and even carrots/radishes do really well in containers. Just make sure there’s good drainage and room for roots.

Good luck!

Becky Speikers — May 15, 2012 @ 4:54 pm

I’ve wanted to do one of these for awhile now! http://greenupgrader.com/8460/diy-vertical-herb-garden-with-a-shoe-organizer/ I bet you could do different lettuces as well (mmm…butter lettuce) for salads.

Kristina — May 15, 2012 @ 4:55 pm

I’m wearing my bright neon necklace today (there is NO way to make that sound cool, but I think it is…) so you are not alone. In packing my closet for the move, I also found some neon lime wedges… so I am rocking the uncool all over the place.

and tripping over magazine stacks here too…

Cassandra Butters — May 15, 2012 @ 4:56 pm

My husband and I live in an apartment…and I want to grow herbs and flowers this summer too. I saw on Pinterest the idea of using a palet for an herb garden. I kinda love it! A mesh backing is used for 3 sides of the pallet, filled with dirt and then planted. The directions say that it needs to lay flat for a couple weeks while the plants take roots, then can be tipped up and leaned against a wall or whatever. I tried growing chives in a pot a couple summers ago (from seeds) and they never took. Good luck! Let us know if you decide on something! :)

Ashley — May 15, 2012 @ 4:56 pm

Oh how I love these posts. 1. The barbie barf comment…oh.em.gee. 2. Receipts! Yep! 3. I wasn’t the first born but also need reassurance. 4. I walk almost 4 miles everrryyy single day! 5. While we were at the garden store [this was my first year] I seriously felt overwhelmed + panicky. Like I wanted to bail. I totally get it. Kelsey planted a few herbs for me in big mixing bowls last summer and it worked perfectly. Too bad I don’t know what she put in them. Just keep them moist [not drenched] and in the sun! 6. XO

Averie @ Averie Cooks — May 15, 2012 @ 4:57 pm

Just do a coutertop kitchen garden. Unless you need enough herbs for a restaurant, for just the two of you guys, that’s plenty.

Love neon and pink. And reading magazines…I used to do that. Before I had a child. You get very little of that after you have one OR you start a blog OR pinterest takes over your free time :)

Love your Tues Things posts, always!

Maura @ My Healthy 'Ohana — May 15, 2012 @ 4:58 pm

I need a 24/7 masseuse/back scratcher too, I would be so much more relaxed :)

Growing herbs in pots is relatively easy…basil grows really well in the summer, rosemary is really hardy too. We just planted some basil and are looking forward to caprese everything come this summer :)

Dara — May 15, 2012 @ 4:59 pm

How about Hannah coming on to her boss?! Cringe-worthy x 9234807234. It’s so weird watching him play grab ass cause I will always picture him as Vada’s sweet uncle in My Girl 2. Do you watch Veep? I nearly shrieked when I realized that was Vada as the Chief of Staff. I know if I searched, I could find my mood ring that I pretended Macaulay Culkin gave me.

I’m also so glad Marnie broke up with Charlie. It’s not that I don’t like him but he would make me gag if he was my boyfriend. I can’t wait for her to get with that sexy albeit short artsy guy.

Kim — May 15, 2012 @ 4:59 pm

Jessica, for real let’s talk Girls.
    So, I get that Hannah is weak and co-dependent. The writers don’t have to keep making her boyfriend do insanely uncomfortable things!! I get the idea! Sheesh.
    Phew I had to get that off my chest.

lynn — May 15, 2012 @ 5:01 pm

I love your Tuesday Things posts! Regarding growing herbs: I grow every herb I can get my hands on and use them in cooking, salads, pestos etc. I have them in my garden but also in window boxes that hang on my deck by my kitchen door. I saw this on Pinterest and thought it was brilliant. Maybe it could be a solution for you: http://pinterest.com/pin/236720524133974576/ . Good luck with your gardening and keep those magnificent posts coming. Cheers.

nicole @ I am a Honey Bee — May 15, 2012 @ 5:05 pm

I love this post!!

Love those pink shoes!! Fantastic.

Rachel Amanda — May 15, 2012 @ 5:13 pm

I would check out Amy Pennington’s book “Apartment gardening.” I think she’s also got a column out there somewhere too… possible TheKitchn?

Sarah — May 15, 2012 @ 5:14 pm

I am obsessed with magazines as well. The best part is, I have managed to get all my current (7) magazine subscriptions for free or close too it. I think my husband probably cringes everytime he goes to the mailbox and sees a new magazine in there with my name on it!!!

Randilea @ Life As I Bake It — May 15, 2012 @ 5:16 pm

You should buy McGee & Stuckey’s Bountiful Container book. I bought it and love it! It’s super helpful!

Kimiko — May 15, 2012 @ 5:22 pm

I love your Tuesday Things feature, because there’s always something in it that makes me laugh, something that makes me hungry, and always has something that is SO relatable. For example, I have a horrible magazine addiction too. Food magazine, that is…and they are currenly all over my living room floor too. I totally get it.

And the whole back-scratching thing? Tell me about it. The whole “professional back-scratcher” topic has been a conversation of ours (my fiance and I) many, many times. I think there is serious business potential there…I’d pick a back scratch over a massage any day.

And when you figure out how to start your herb garden, please share.

Meg — May 15, 2012 @ 5:41 pm

Yum–where is that float from? I reside in the ‘burg as well and I need one ASAP!

PS. I constantly am betting my fiancee on anything. Winner gets a back scratch & head scratch. LOVE! I have on more than one occasion said I would pay a masseuse to give me a back scratch in the most non-creepy way.

Katie — May 15, 2012 @ 5:42 pm

I watched the first 4 episodes of Girls this weekend when my boyfriend was gone. I hate it about 75% of the time, but the other 25% I’m laughing my ass off because they say things that I am thinking ALL THE TIME. The episode with the STD test/abortion clinic was amazing.

Sarah @ The Cyclist's Wife — May 15, 2012 @ 5:43 pm

What the what?! Homemade Grape Nuts? That is just plain awesome.

Niki — May 15, 2012 @ 5:48 pm

Oh man I need garden tips too – first year wanting to plant! I’m thinking herbs, potatoes, peas, cucumbers, carrots and tomatoes. I’m terrified though….eek!

Heather (Heather's Dish) — May 15, 2012 @ 6:13 pm

i refuse to talk you out of a milkshake for dinner. it’s what friends do… :)

raeann — May 15, 2012 @ 6:19 pm

true story – a neon pink and neon yellow bra (from the junior bra section) both jumped in my cart today at target. i’m envisioning the straps peeking out of a cute tank or dress. i realize that’s the most inappropriate sentence a mid-thirties person could ever utter. but, i figure if jules on cougartown can dress like she’s 21, then i might as well too!

ps – girls? i watched the first episode with a pit in my stomach and an overwhelming barfy feeling, so i don’t know if i have it in me to watch the rest…

Cookbook Queen — May 15, 2012 @ 6:49 pm

Yes, lets talk about Girls. OMG OMG OMG.

I really wish she would dump that skanky guy, but he’s just so awkwardly fun to watch. BUT SO GROSS. Like…no words.

Also, if you were pregnant, you could get sympathy back rubs all the time. Since men can’t get pregnant, they have no idea what we’re going through and it’s okay to embellish a bit. Won’t hurt them. I figure the whole childbirth thing evens out any duplicity.

Olivia — May 15, 2012 @ 7:42 pm

Hahahah numbers 4 and 4.5 are great! I can totally relate!

Also, I see nothing wrong with a milkshake for dinner. :)

Jessica — May 15, 2012 @ 7:49 pm

A friend of mine recently moved to place with very limited garden space. She is doing hers in bags! Its called bag gardening. She bought a big bag of miracle grow soil, cut some slits on the backside of bag for drainage & put her seeds/plants right in the bag. Google ‘bag gardening’ …its ease schmeazy!

Julie @Savvy Eats — May 15, 2012 @ 8:04 pm

I grew all my herbs in containers last year — email me if you want to chat/want some tips!

Vicki H. — May 15, 2012 @ 8:23 pm

ummm…somebody might have mentioned this already, but is that whole nutmeg in your wallet? huh?

You do crack me up and I LOVE the blog…not much surprises me, but the nutmeg in your purse kind of dose…kind of like when I had vanilla in my purse (I was visiting a friend and she was out of vanilla, so I brought it with) for longer than a month (it fell to the bottom and I forgot about it)!

Lisa — May 15, 2012 @ 8:26 pm

Why do you carry nutmeg; not that there’s anything wrong with that?! You can totally plant your veggies/herbs in big pots. Get the lowes or home depot people to help you. They even have organic soil/fertilizer etc. You can do it; much easier than craft stuff.

Mia — May 15, 2012 @ 8:43 pm

I think those shoes in the foreground are the ones I want to wear to my wedding. You know, once I get engaged and plan a wedding (besides the ones I’ve planned in my head). That ice cream float sounds ah-mah-zing!!!

Naomi(onefitfoodie) — May 15, 2012 @ 9:29 pm

miss you. love you. love neon. love grape nuts. that is all <3

Angela @ Sleep and Repeat — May 15, 2012 @ 10:15 pm

Mine completely blown by the homemade grape nuts thing! I think I need to try that!

Christina — May 15, 2012 @ 10:20 pm

I wish someone massaged my feet all day long. If that means I need to lay on a couch all day long, then I’ll make that sacrifice. I have two little boys who I plan on training. Their wives will someday thank me. We’re attempting to grow tomatoes, cucumbers and basil this summer… we’ll see how that goes. Good luck with the gardening!

Jody — May 15, 2012 @ 10:32 pm

Gardening is so easy. Pots are generally the best way to go if you don’t have a big sunny area.
    I’m not sure what zone you’re in, but basil is generally the most prolific herb you can plant. I’m in New Orleans and basil and mint have almost gained “weed” status in my yard and gardens.

Danielle @ Something Like Susie Homemaker — May 15, 2012 @ 11:16 pm

Two things:
    1. “I want my wardrobe to look like Barbie barfed all over it” made me laugh for days
    2. I’d definitely go with the milkshake for dinner.

Thank you for posting Tuesday Things. I look forward to reading it every week. :)

Ariella — May 15, 2012 @ 11:49 pm

I don’t garden either. The “A Beautiful Mess” blog just posted gardening tips … might be worth checking out. Figured I’d pass it along, could be helpful.

Melanie — May 16, 2012 @ 12:41 am

Love your blog! As a vegetarian I turn a blind eye to your fondness for bacon as you often make up for it in liquor, baked goods and wit. A win in my book.
    In return for the many laughs and full bellied nights you have offered me, it is only fair that I share with you my knowledge of veggies and things grown in dirt. Instead of writing a book on here, the best handy little manual I have found for growing things in tight spaces is this book http://www.amazon.com/Grow-Great-Grub-Organic-Spaces/dp/0307452018/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1337143031&sr=8-1 It is pretty great. Straight forward, practical and pretty pictures. Can’t ask for much more.
    Also, have you seen this cake?!?! http://cafefernando.com/no-bake-chocolate-biscuit-cake/#more-759 Making it right now.

Ana — May 16, 2012 @ 2:38 am

I second The Bountiful Container. It’s a really great resource, and I think I’ve heard it referred to as the container gardener’s bible.

Mallory — May 16, 2012 @ 3:03 am

You mean I can blame my constant need for reassurance on being the oldest child?!?!?!? i have never connected that trait with being the oldest. being the oldest gets crappier everyday.

Tanya — May 16, 2012 @ 6:42 am

First, walking is the best exercise! Ans it’s free. Second if neon works for you go with it. Finally some nights it’s OK to have a milkshake for dinner.

Joy — May 16, 2012 @ 6:43 am

First if all homemade grape nuts? I kind of die a thousand deaths! It never occurred to me I could make them! 2nd and of the extension offices can help you with container gardening (4-h or Ffa) but here’s a link to it http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/publications/guides/e-545_vegetable_gardening_containers.pdf also for tomatoes try the tipsy turvy it really works! And lastly never tried it but pinned it http://greenupgrader.com/8460/diy-vertical-herb-garden-with-a-shoe-organizer/

Mimi — May 16, 2012 @ 7:05 am

Go to your neghborhood bakery (or restaurant). They get their bakery supplies in 4-5 gallon containers. Ours sells them for $2 /4gal and $3 /5gal -you might get lucky and get them for free too(we live @ 30mi N of the Burgh so prices may be diff where you are) . Just drill 5-6 holes in the bottom. Visit your local nursery, get some dirt and mushroom compost, mix together and plant in the containers. I started potatoes that way 3 weeks ago and they are already >1′ tall! I love planting root crops in buckets…it’s sooo easy to get them out w/out digging! Carrots, peppers, tomatoes, anything works. I’m even trying cukes and squash in them this year thanks to freaky squash bugs which live in the soil…jagoffs…

1. Pingback: Monday Musings - Something Like Susie Homemaker