Oh I did a really smart thing last night.

Hot + Cheesy Caramelized Corn Dip I howsweeteats.com

Instead of taking a nightly walk, going to yoga, making dinner, or finishing up a serious ton of work, I watched The Vow. All by myself. If you ever doubted my stereo-typicalness, now is the time to tell you to stop. I’m a walking cliche, except for the fact that the ending made me want to throw a beer bottle straight through the TV screen. Dumb. Just dumb. I’m also blaming that whole thing on the consumption of my emotions via the remains of this corn dip at 11 o’clock at night.

Hot + Cheesy Caramelized Corn Dip I howsweeteats.com

And just so you know? The title of this post does no justice for the flavor of this dip. But because I don’t like to be misleading, probably use waaaay too many exclamation points when typing, well… anything, and am not exactly sure how else to describe a warm dip made with corn and cheese even with the help of a thesaurus, the title shall remain.

Just know that I’m not the least bit happy about it.

Hot + Cheesy Caramelized Corn Dip I howsweeteats.com

Last week, I received an email from a reader named Leigh who mentioned that she had this corn dip over the weekend and that it was phenomenal. I don’t know what it is… maybe since summer is on the horizon, this chilly weather is making me want to lose my mind and corn is just simply one of those things I adore… but I HAD to make it immediately.

So I did.

And it was pretty fantastic, to say the least.

I made a few changes, you know… like using Greek yogurt instead of mayo, but while I can try to argue that “oh! I made this healthy!”, I totally added bacon, all the bacon fat AND more cheese. It’s basically a requirement when it comes to dip, FYI. If I could have added beer, I would have. In fact, I might spend this afternoon trying to figure that out.

But actually, while I did all that stuff, this dip really has a variety of vegetables. It’s sort of like… a garden dip or something. It’s quite summery and exceptionally flavorful, and when it comes to dips with vegetables included, this is something that can’t be overlooked. Well… at least in my world.

Hot + Cheesy Caramelized Corn Dip I howsweeteats.com

4 green onions, sliced

2 garlic cloves, minced or pressed

1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika

1 (17 ounce) container of 2% Greek yogurt

5 ounces cheddar cheese, freshly grated

5 ounces monterey jack cheese, freshly grated

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Heat a large skillet over medium heat and add bacon. Fry until crispy and all fat is rendered, the remove bacon and let drain on a paper towel. Add corn to the skillet, cooking and stirring until golden and a bit caramely – about 6-8 minutes. Remove corn and add it to a large bowl. Add olive oil to the skillet, then add onions and red peppers with salt and pepper. Cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Add in jalapeno, green onions and garlic, cooking for just 2-3 minutes. Transfer mixture to the bowl, adding in the yogurt, paprika, bacon and 4 ounces of each cheese. Stir until combined, then top with remaining cheese.

Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until cheese is golden on top. Serve immediately with tortilla chips or crackers.

Note: this recipe works best with fresh, cooked corn straight off the cob (and caramelized), but since its not in season here yet, I used frozen corn that was thawed and completely dry.

Hot + Cheesy Caramelized Corn Dip I howsweeteats.com

All these vegetables this week. Maybe I’m turning a corner.

138 Responses to “Hot + Cheesy Caramelized Corn Dip. (For Summer Fun!)”

Ali @ Peaches and Football — June 6, 2012 @ 6:57 am

ohmygawd this looks so good. I bet it would be a huge hit during football season. I could see making this quite a bit. What a way to get in some veggies ;)

Hannah @ All-Purpose and Semi-Sweet — June 6, 2012 @ 6:57 am

I was planning on having Greek yogurt for breakfast…but now cheese and bacon is looking a whole lot more enticing…I should know better than to read your blog so early in the morning! Beautiful photos as always, and I can’t wait to try this.

Rachel Cooks — June 6, 2012 @ 7:05 am

A garden dip, haha! I don’t know about that…but I do know that I could eat the whole dang thing.

Lauren at Keep It Sweet — June 6, 2012 @ 7:09 am

Wow does that dip look amazing!

Lynne @ 365 Days of Baking — June 6, 2012 @ 7:09 am

Oh boy! Caramelized corn? Who knew you could do such a thing?!
    I have yet to watch The Vow. I just haven’t gotten around to it and now I’m nervous because movies with dumb endings frustrate the heck out of me!
    Jessica, I tried to E-mail you the other day because I wanted to show you this really cool picture of some cookies I found, but I couldn’t upload it on your contact page and I can’t find your E-mail. Maybe I didn’t look hard enough either. Can you send it to me please, I’m dying for you to see those cookies!

Cate — June 6, 2012 @ 7:12 am

Did you use canned corn or fresh corn? I live in France and fresh corn on the cob is not sold around here. I really miss corn on the cob and canned corn is just not the same. But, this looks good – and doable if it is canned!

• Jessica — June 6th, 2012 @ 7:14 am

I actually used frozen (and made sure it was thawed and completely dry) – fresh would be best but it won’t be in season here for a few weeks!

Simply Life — June 6, 2012 @ 7:14 am

Yum! Wish this was at my next summer cookout!

Katrina — June 6, 2012 @ 7:20 am

This dip sounds mighty delicious!! I love this idea!

Presley (@runpretty) — June 6, 2012 @ 7:27 am

Would it be inappropriate to make and eat this for breakfast? haha I haven’t gotten out of bed yet and I feel like getting up and eating anything else would just be a sham…

carrie — June 6, 2012 @ 7:40 am

holy delicious!! i have noticed all the vegetables you’ve been posting lately..starting to wonder if someone highjacked your blog :)

Melissa — June 6, 2012 @ 7:40 am

Hi! I just started reading your blog and I can’t even tell you how incredibly hungry I get every time! haha. Your creations look genius. Are you a professional cook? I wish I could be as masterful in the kitchen as you!!
    I do have to ask though: As a medical student I am enthralled by your humor but am I taking all this talk about “ew veggies” and “bacon is my life” too seriously? You DO eat a balanced diet, right? I really don’t want my first comment post to be motherly, but as a future doctor I have to be concerned! :D Even if you are at a healthy weight, your blood cholesterol levels may be high putting you at risk for doievenneedtogothere. HUGE fan of this blog, but definitely worried about the message you’re putting out there! (“Doughnuts for dinner”…?!)

• Jessica — June 6th, 2012 @ 12:55 pm

No need for concern – I am not putting out any message, this is simply a personal blog where I talk about my life and unfortunately, I hate vegetables. Not gonna lie about it!

Sally @ Spontaneous Hausfrau — June 6, 2012 @ 7:51 am

This is effin’ brilliant. I want this now, for breakfast and the rest of my life. I may add a little bit of lump crabmeat, which may lead to me fainting.

Kim in MD — June 6, 2012 @ 7:57 am

I have made this recipe for parties and it is always a huge hit! I love your adaption, Jessica, and I plan to make this for a graduation party I am hosting on Saturday! Thanks for sharing!

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat — June 6, 2012 @ 8:02 am

I saw The Vow with my roommate and am kinda on the fence about it. While Channing Tatum was absolutely gorgeous to look at, Rachel McAdams’ character kinda frustrated me. Had that been real life and had I been her, I don’t think I’d have been questioning whether or not Channing Tatum was my husband. I’d ask for it in writing!

Robyn Stone | Add a Pinch — June 6, 2012 @ 8:25 am

This would be so, so good with a big hunk of crusty, toasty bread! I could really dig right in!

Stephanie @cookinfanatic — June 6, 2012 @ 8:30 am

You just speak to my soul. RIDICULOUS. When I get myself back in the kitchen after this house sells this is on my list of to-makes asap! Oh and btw my good ol’ mom is whipping up your thai crunch chicken salad tonight and guess who’s coming over for dinner haha… i can’t wait!

kelley @mountainmamacooks — June 6, 2012 @ 8:50 am

I just ruined my diet looking at this dip. Happily, I might add. Whoa and whoa.

Audra@The-Baker-Chick — June 6, 2012 @ 8:57 am

Yeah the ending of the Vow sucked. And I know that well because I got talked into seeing it twice. Luckily for me- I was glazed over from seeing Channing Tatum shirtless. Also- that dip looks amazing!

Cait's Plate — June 6, 2012 @ 9:07 am

Wow. Jenna made BBQ chicken pasta and I literally just commented that she took my boyfriend’s two favorite foods and made them into one meal. But now I might have to take that back and say YOU just took his two favorite foods and made them into one meal! I’m pretty sure yours would win just because it has cheese in it. Looks delicious!

Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles — June 6, 2012 @ 9:11 am

HOLY DELICIOUSNESS!!!!! :)

Laura — June 6, 2012 @ 9:20 am

Mmmmmm yummy! I can’t think of anything better than making that right now and finishing it by myself!

katie — June 6, 2012 @ 9:22 am

This looks sinfully delicious! I can’t wait to give it a try!

Claire @ Live and Love to Eat — June 6, 2012 @ 9:36 am

I pinned something similar a few weeks ago but of course this will be taking it’s place. Yum!

Ashley Bee (Quarter Life Crisis Cuisine) — June 6, 2012 @ 9:39 am

Ohhh it looks cheesy and delicious! I never thought to carmelize corn… fantastic! I’d accompany it with some homemade tortilla chips :)

Melanie — June 6, 2012 @ 9:41 am

AH – MAZE – BALLS!!!! How awesome is this?? This could become my summertime staple for cook-outs. Thanks!

Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Pepper — June 6, 2012 @ 9:48 am

What a great dish!! I would love to dip some crackers, no chips into this dip!! Yum!!! I see your on a bacon kick again! :)

Joy — June 6, 2012 @ 9:59 am

Agreed. The ending to The Vow stunk. We watched it this past weekend. Yummy dip!

Sasha — June 6, 2012 @ 10:12 am

Good lord! This dip looks amazing! I am so keeping this in mind for my next party.

So explain: was The Vow so bad that you wanted to throw a bottle out of anger? Or was is the type of good that makes one feel bad about their own life?

• Jessica — June 6th, 2012 @ 12:40 pm

The anger type of bad, but I should clarify that the end is still a somewhat happy one, it’s just very realistic. Especially if you know the story behind the couple that the movie was made about. But uhhh… I don’t watch movies to see reality!!

Ellen — June 6, 2012 @ 10:16 am

I had something like this at Casa Gallerdo before, only it had chorizo instead of bacon. The weird thing is, I was remembering about that dip this morning, and bam, I find this post. I’m gonna have to make it now!

Ashley — June 6, 2012 @ 10:23 am

Didn’t like The Vow either! I couldn’t even finish it. Like hellooooo, wouldn’t you want Channing Tatum EITHER WAY??

• Jessica — June 6th, 2012 @ 12:39 pm

No kidding.

Dawn — June 6, 2012 @ 10:37 am

I don’t even like corn but I’m going to make this ~ looks so good!! :-)

Karriann — June 6, 2012 @ 10:38 am

Your dip is a must-try! It looks amaziinnnggg!

“Spice it Up”

Kelly — June 6, 2012 @ 10:47 am

” Maybe I’m turning a corner.”

I hope this was on purpose because it was hysterical. If not, either way you’re food genius and a professional pun-k.

This looks so good and your night sounds perfect.

• Jessica — June 6th, 2012 @ 12:39 pm

It was definitely not on purpose, in fact it took me like 30 minutes to figure it out… I’m dumb.

Meghan @ After the Ivy League — June 6, 2012 @ 10:53 am

Yum!! All those vegetables make this a legitimate dinner right? I think so.

Nancy @ CouponClippingCook — June 6, 2012 @ 11:08 am

This totally makes my mouth water. Ultra yum.

Velvet — June 6, 2012 @ 11:18 am

That last picture…. that’s the money shot right there. I MUST try this!

Averie @ Averie Cooks — June 6, 2012 @ 11:18 am

Omg that looks so good! I opened up a can of corn yesterday, ironically, to make something and have the other half of the can….mmmmm, I may even go buy more corn, just to make this dip!

Andrea @ The Skinny Chronicles — June 6, 2012 @ 11:24 am

Um, yum! I love watching cheesy movies all by myself when I really should be doing something else. There’s nothing better!

Heather (Heather's Dish) — June 6, 2012 @ 11:34 am

i had this about a year-ish ago at a wedding shower and LOVED it…although i think adding greek yogurt is pretty genius since i like the tang. i still haven’t seen the vow – methinks it might be too much for my postpartum hormones to handle at this point!

Katie — June 6, 2012 @ 11:49 am

Oh heavens to betsy. Give it to me, now.

(Also, based on the tears that flowed down my face during the proposal video yesterday – how many boxes of kleenex will I need to pile around me during The Vow? I really want to see it…)

• Jessica — June 6th, 2012 @ 12:38 pm

OH man… well, it still has a happy ending… but I think you’ll need them.

marla — June 6, 2012 @ 11:51 am

Extra Hot + Cheesy corn dip for me please :)

sara — June 6, 2012 @ 11:55 am

Oh my gosh, this dip looks incredible!! Love all the flavors, so tasty – yum!

April — June 6, 2012 @ 12:00 pm

Ha I like the unintentional pun at the end. Turning a corn-er…. LOL. Just me LOLing? okay!

• Jessica — June 6th, 2012 @ 12:38 pm

Ha – totally unintentional!

Steph@PlainChicken.com — June 6, 2012 @ 12:05 pm

Holy YUM! This looks incredible. Can’t wait to try it.

Lori @ RecipeGirl — June 6, 2012 @ 12:25 pm

The good thing about this post is that this is a fabulous, unique idea for a summery sort of appetizer. The bad thing about this post is that I could sit here and eat the whole darn thing. Totally bookmarking for summer parties! See you in Seattle, Girl!!

• Jessica — June 6th, 2012 @ 12:37 pm

Can’t wait!

cheapdanny — June 6, 2012 @ 12:29 pm

I’m definitely going to make this one! I love anything with corn!

Beth @ Dancing Shoes — June 6, 2012 @ 12:40 pm

This recipe looks soo good! I will have to try it this weekend!

Alyssa — June 6, 2012 @ 1:33 pm

I want to dive in to this pan & devour every last bit!

RunEatRepeat — June 6, 2012 @ 1:58 pm

I only have one corn-y recipe – I should add this to my list!

Ali — June 6, 2012 @ 2:26 pm

This is probably a dumb question but can you taste the Greek
    Yogurt after this bakes? I don’t like the taste of yogurt, but
    The dip looks amazing!!!

1 2 3

1. Pingback: Sample Saturday | Homekeeping Adventures

2. Pingback: Recipe RoundUp « Blondes Can Bake?!

3. Pingback: I just love weekends! | Mostly Fitness

4. Pingback: foodopia: hot and cheesy corn dip: recipe here – June 20, 2012 at 08:38AM « marieiscool

5. Pingback: hot corn dip « Ambs Loves Food

6. Pingback: Cheesy Carmelized Corn Dip with Bacon « Eat Love Repeat

7. Pingback: Hot Corn Dip Recipe

8. Pingback: Monster Bars | Pass The Sushi!

9. Pingback: 35 Game-Day Recipes « A Cedar Spoon.

10. Pingback: Friday Favorites | spice

11. Pingback: Blogging Analysis: How Sweet It Is « Feast With Me

12. Pingback: Turkey Table Menu | Runway Chef

13. Pingback: 8 Dips for New Year’s Eve!

14. Pingback: Hot & Cheesy Corn Dip | Sweet and Spicy blog