Oh I did a really smart thing last night.

Hot + Cheesy Caramelized Corn Dip I howsweeteats.com

Instead of taking a nightly walk, going to yoga, making dinner, or finishing up a serious ton of work, I watched The Vow. All by myself. If you ever doubted my stereo-typicalness, now is the time to tell you to stop. I’m a walking cliche, except for the fact that the ending made me want to throw a beer bottle straight through the TV screen. Dumb. Just dumb. I’m also blaming that whole thing on the consumption of my emotions via the remains of this corn dip at 11 o’clock at night.

Hot + Cheesy Caramelized Corn Dip I howsweeteats.com

And just so you know? The title of this post does no justice for the flavor of this dip. But because I don’t like to be misleading, probably use waaaay too many exclamation points when typing, well… anything, and am not exactly sure how else to describe a warm dip made with corn and cheese even with the help of a thesaurus, the title shall remain.

Just know that I’m not the least bit happy about it.

Hot + Cheesy Caramelized Corn Dip I howsweeteats.com

Last week, I received an email from a reader named Leigh who mentioned that she had this corn dip over the weekend and that it was phenomenal. I don’t know what it is… maybe since summer is on the horizon, this chilly weather is making me want to lose my mind and corn is just simply one of those things I adore… but I HAD to make it immediately.

So I did.

And it was pretty fantastic, to say the least.

I made a few changes, you know… like using Greek yogurt instead of mayo, but while I can try to argue that “oh! I made this healthy!”, I totally added bacon, all the bacon fat AND more cheese. It’s basically a requirement when it comes to dip, FYI. If I could have added beer, I would have. In fact, I might spend this afternoon trying to figure that out.

But actually, while I did all that stuff, this dip really has a variety of vegetables. It’s sort of like… a garden dip or something. It’s quite summery and exceptionally flavorful, and when it comes to dips with vegetables included, this is something that can’t be overlooked. Well… at least in my world.

Hot + Cheesy Caramelized Corn Dip I howsweeteats.com

4 green onions, sliced

2 garlic cloves, minced or pressed

1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika

1 (17 ounce) container of 2% Greek yogurt

5 ounces cheddar cheese, freshly grated

5 ounces monterey jack cheese, freshly grated

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Heat a large skillet over medium heat and add bacon. Fry until crispy and all fat is rendered, the remove bacon and let drain on a paper towel. Add corn to the skillet, cooking and stirring until golden and a bit caramely – about 6-8 minutes. Remove corn and add it to a large bowl. Add olive oil to the skillet, then add onions and red peppers with salt and pepper. Cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Add in jalapeno, green onions and garlic, cooking for just 2-3 minutes. Transfer mixture to the bowl, adding in the yogurt, paprika, bacon and 4 ounces of each cheese. Stir until combined, then top with remaining cheese.

Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until cheese is golden on top. Serve immediately with tortilla chips or crackers.

Note: this recipe works best with fresh, cooked corn straight off the cob (and caramelized), but since its not in season here yet, I used frozen corn that was thawed and completely dry.

Hot + Cheesy Caramelized Corn Dip I howsweeteats.com

All these vegetables this week. Maybe I’m turning a corner.

138 Responses to “Hot + Cheesy Caramelized Corn Dip. (For Summer Fun!)”

Michelle @ Brown Eyed Baker — June 6, 2012 @ 3:29 pm

I’m such a sucker for dips of any kind, love this!

Jessica@AKitchenAddiction — June 6, 2012 @ 3:47 pm

Oh man. My mouth is watering.

OliePants — June 6, 2012 @ 4:10 pm

I’m so glad you made this. This is the second corn recipe you made that I have on my to-make list. The first is your Chipotle corn salsa recipe.

Cathy — June 6, 2012 @ 4:16 pm

Just wanted to let you know that I recently starting reading your blog and recipes, and it has quickly turned into the highlight of my day. What fun! And everything sounds so yummy! I will be trying some of your recipes over the next few days and am sooooo looking forward to the results. Thanks!!!! By the way, I just watched The Vow this weekend. Loved the character Channing Tatum played, so loyal, and his looks really did hurt either. Are there really men like that out there?

Angelyn @ Everyday Desserts — June 6, 2012 @ 4:17 pm

Ahhh, your posts always make me laugh! :)
    The dip looks incredible, by the way.

Caralyn @ glutenfreehappytummy — June 6, 2012 @ 5:30 pm

wow…that looks magnificent! so cheesy and fabulous! thanks for sharing!

Villy @ For the love of Feeding — June 6, 2012 @ 6:17 pm

Haven’t watched the movie yet, but YAY for the dip!

Quiche-ing Queen — June 6, 2012 @ 7:10 pm

This looks amazing! Love me some cheese dip. Now I’m craving this and seeing that movie which I have yet to see.

jenna — June 6, 2012 @ 7:32 pm

wow…..you always make me hungry! this looks fab!

Tracy — June 6, 2012 @ 7:43 pm

I need this in my life, seriously. I am pinning it on to my summer board for when sweet corn is available at the market!!

Melissa Likes To Eat — June 6, 2012 @ 7:45 pm

I love any kind of cheesy hot dip. It doesn’t matter what’s in it. As long as there’s cheese and it’s hot, I’ll eat it.

Colleen @ Culinary Colleen — June 6, 2012 @ 10:31 pm

This sounds AMAZING. Definitely making it for my next cookout!

Ashley @ Wishes and Dishes — June 7, 2012 @ 1:09 am

What’s with all these vegetables??!! haha. Love it :)

Lynna — June 7, 2012 @ 2:54 am

oh my my…this sounds incredible!

Moni Meals — June 7, 2012 @ 11:15 am

This looks so darn delicious! Any cheesy dip is always a hit, is it not. ;)

Leigh — June 7, 2012 @ 11:22 am

Yaaaay! You made it!! I just had to restrain myself from jumping out of my cube and squealing with excitement! LOL. So instead, I called my husband and QUIETLY squealed “She made it! She made it! So glad you loved it too!

Molly — June 7, 2012 @ 11:44 am

How would you advise converting this to crockpot feasible? I know cook all the skillet stuff and then dump together in crock. How long should I heat it in there, do you think?

Twinkle Teacher — June 7, 2012 @ 12:02 pm

Guess how I know how I’m gonna use all that corn I just picked up. MMMMMMMMMMMMMM. Thanks for sharing. You rock.

Sharyn Dimmick — June 7, 2012 @ 1:54 pm

I would love this (without the bacon). Sounds like a great summer supper with tortilla chips and salad.

Lauren E. — June 7, 2012 @ 4:22 pm

I hate, hate, hate your blog because after I read it I’m forced to make these cheesy, bacon-y, delicious dishes that are not meals but often replace them in my day. So thanks for the saddle bags. I appreciate it.

Sally — June 7, 2012 @ 9:09 pm

Could this be made without the bacon?

• Jessica — June 10th, 2012 @ 8:38 pm

Definitely! Just use olive oil or butter for the fat.

Kimberly Sue — June 7, 2012 @ 10:36 pm

uh, yep.

Amber | Bluebonnets & Brownies — June 8, 2012 @ 9:33 am

Um, yum! There’s not much else I can say, except that I totally think adding greek yogurt turns this into health food.

• Jessica — June 10th, 2012 @ 8:33 pm

YES! I knew I liked you.

Gaby@GabHousewifeChronicles — June 8, 2012 @ 10:38 am

OMG, this looks amazing!!!! Definitely gonna try it out… I pinned it to my DIPS board =) thanks for sharing!

Ali — June 8, 2012 @ 11:00 am

YUM! Pretty sure I could live on chips + dip alone…Also, love that nail polish. Is is strange to ask what the color is, ha?

• Jessica — June 10th, 2012 @ 8:32 pm

Sally Hanson Coral Reef. :)

Heidi @ Food Doodles — June 8, 2012 @ 2:14 pm

Holy, this looks incredible. I’ve never had any kind of corn dip, but I need to try one soon. Bookmarking this one :)

Amy — June 8, 2012 @ 3:01 pm

I was wondering if I could make this the day before? If I made it and then put it in the fridge over night so I could just bake it the next day, what do you think?

• Jessica — June 10th, 2012 @ 8:27 pm

I think it would work!

Stephanie @ Macaroni and Cheesecake — June 8, 2012 @ 6:56 pm

This looks so amazing! Especially the pic of you dipping your chip in. I’m a sucker for any kind of cheesy dip, and since veggies are involved, it’s healthy right?! ;)

Redd H from Salted Spoon — June 11, 2012 @ 9:18 pm

My goodness this looks amazing! I need an excuse to make this!

maria — June 11, 2012 @ 9:38 pm

I had some leftover copycat chipotle corn salsa and used it to make a last version of.this. so so good!

Christina — June 11, 2012 @ 10:34 pm

Ohhh man, this looks really close to a dip my grandmother makes! It’s awesome-sauce, and I’ve been thinking of making it using fresh corn like you recommended. Basically I just want to stick my face in that last picture.

Allison — June 12, 2012 @ 11:49 am

You forgot to mention when to add the bacon so I forgot to put it in. Bacon makes everything taste better. I ended up sprinkling it on top at the end, but def suggest adding it to the recipe directions.

Thanks!

Sandi — June 12, 2012 @ 1:44 pm

I have to tell you I made this last night for my husbands birthday party. I was so excited!! It came out fabulous so I set it on the table with tortilla chips, crackers, and toasted garlic bread. I couldn’t stay out of it. My sons (all three of them in their 20’s) kept asking me if I was sure it was dip and they each had a taste. When we finally ate dinner, they loaded up their plates and said it was the best corn dish I have ever made. Geeze – boys!!!!!

brandi — June 13, 2012 @ 10:51 am

i did the SAME Thing with the vow a few weeks ago when nick was out of town. not a fan of that ending. big fan of rachel mcadams. bigger fan of channing’s arms.

Mairen — June 14, 2012 @ 1:24 pm

Soooo… was there any progress on the beer front? Totally trial running this with my girlfriends tonight… Cheese+Veggies+something I can pretend is healthy? WIN

Hayley — June 17, 2012 @ 6:32 pm

I knew I liked you. And I’m making this dip as we speak and HELLO YUM it smells fantastic. If my tongue gets third-degree burns from inhaling it straight out of the oven… then so be it. Amazeballs.

Kimberley — June 19, 2012 @ 11:50 pm

What was the purpose of cooking the bacon? Just to use the grease to cook the corn?

• Jessica — June 20th, 2012 @ 6:43 am

The grease is a bonus, but if you don’t cook the bacon then it won’t be crispy. And mixed in the entire dip, it may barely cook at all.

sherrie — June 29, 2012 @ 4:28 pm

Making this for July 4 bbq

Amanda G. — July 23, 2012 @ 9:45 am

I made this on Saturday, and I had a major problem with the corn releasing SO MUCH liquid!! I threw a few cobs of corn in the microwave for 4 minutes (in the husk and all) to cook, then removed it from the cob and followed the recipe directions (saute in the bacon grease). Everything looked fine and I followed the recipe exactly. However, when I took it out of the oven and stuck a chip in the dip – there was a puddle of watery liquid left in the dish. Bleh, not very appetizing. I think using frozen or canned corn would actually be BETTER for this recipe. I don’t think squeezing the corn dry after sauteeing would work either, since it wasn’t releasing liquid at that time. The dip was better reheated as leftovers – I guess some of the liquid re-distributed into the dip.

Elinor — July 30, 2012 @ 11:39 am

Made this this past weekend for a bachelorette party — it was devoured within legit 15 minutes — everyone went NUTS over it!!! Delicious (and sort of nuitritous?)

April — September 8, 2012 @ 9:03 pm

I just made this, albeit without the bacon and without much regard to measurements, but this is delicious!! I was a little concerned about baking yogurt at first for some reason but my husband and I have been snacking on it since it came out of the oven twenty minutes. ago. Fantastic!

Kiley — September 14, 2012 @ 9:41 pm

Making this for tailgating tomorrow! Hopefully it turns out! Thanks for the recipe–smells delish so far!

Kelly — November 12, 2012 @ 8:32 pm

I bet this could be made with beer if the yogurt was replaced with cream cheese. Have you ever heard of beer cheese dip? Just a few ingredients and it is so very good.

Amy f — December 29, 2012 @ 12:56 pm

I have a come up with a dip to take to family gathering this afternoon…and this sounds great!! I don’t have Greek yogurt on hand, would subbing sour cream work? Or maybe cream cheese?

Sandy — January 13, 2013 @ 9:45 am

Although I haven’t tried this recipe yet, I am definitely going to. I just wanted to say I enjoyed reading your post…..you are hilarious! Thanks for sharing!

Robin Kidd — January 17, 2013 @ 4:47 pm

Ok I love this …. I made it for dinner tonight and we are stuffing tortillas with this stuff and fajita chicken :) num num!

Alison — January 25, 2013 @ 6:05 pm

This was fabulous! I did tomato instead of red pepper and added Panko to the top. Huge hit!!!

Jennie — February 3, 2013 @ 11:30 pm

My husband actually helped me make this…which was so fun! I was out of Greek yogurt, but had a tub of Aloutte cheese stuff… And it worked like a dream. We made it for Superbowl and ended up not really watching it, but having party food anyway. Awesome party of two!!

Tricia — February 5, 2013 @ 1:54 pm

Oh my deliciousness. Made this for the superbowl and even all the men thought this was awesome!! I will say though that there was quite a bit of liquid in the bottom of the dish after baking. I just tried to spoon it out so it didn’t detour anyone (kinda made it look unappealing), not sure if it was from the liquid cooking off of the yogurt maybe?! I used Fage greek yogurt.

Melinda — May 26, 2013 @ 12:34 pm

I was worried until you said you wanted to throw a beer bottle through the TV, I feel much better knowing that:)