And I’m pretty serious too.

Triple Berry Kale Salad with Fresh Strawberry Vinaigrette I howsweeteats.com

Ugh. I know. This is just so… not me.

But don’t you want to bite into that cherry?

Triple Berry Kale Salad with Fresh Strawberry Vinaigrette I howsweeteats.com

I swear it has nothing to do with the fact that I’ve been in California all week and has no correlation to the quinoa and bean burgers and other stuff that happened in the last four days. I knew I’d be traveling until late tonight, and a few days after I first made this kale salad last Tuesday? I made those bean burgers which I’m contemplating putting on my table tonight the instant I return home. They are THAT good. That might end in divorce, but whatever. Do you even KNOW who I live with?

[p.s. I sort of feel something giggly inside about sharing quinoa, kale and lots of beans in the same week. It’s like I’m playing a major major trick on myself. And you. I don’t even know me anymore.

Oh and it’s definitely the same kind of giggly I felt all day yesterday when my phone decided to consistently auto-correct “totally” to “orally.” Like “OMG, I orally want to hug you right now.” And “I orally love you.” Or “I’m going to orally kill you!” And “are you orally serious?”

I don’t know. Am I? Apparently my phone was,]

Triple Berry Kale Salad with Fresh Strawberry Vinaigrette I howsweeteats.com

So yeah.

Anyway, I’ve made no bones about the fact that I can only eat kale in chip form. Like roasted to a crisp and seriously salty. But but but… I’ve WANTED to be able to eat it in other ways. I mean, I’ve always wanted to eat vegetables, it’s just that I… find them utterly disgusting. Just the sight of raw kale scared me away for ages, so I knew I needed to add something incredibly addicting on top. And I’m reallllly obsessed with a local restaurant’s strawberry vinaigrette, so I figured it was a good place to start. It was.

Plus avocado. Plus crunchy toasted almonds. And then I massaged the kale with the strawberry dressing and let it sit… and sit… and then tossed everything else on top. AND THEN I ATE IT. Like, really ate it. Actually, I ate it twice. This.is.huge.

Triple Berry Kale Salad with Fresh Strawberry Vinaigrette I howsweeteats.com

Triple Berry Kale Salad

serves 4

1 head of curly kale, leaves removed from stem and torn

1 cup fresh tart cherries, pitted and sliced

1 cup fresh blueberries

1 cup fresh blackberries

1 cup sliced fresh strawberries

1 avocado, chopped

2/3 cup chopped toasted almonds

1/4 teaspoon salt

1/4 teaspoon pepper

Place kale in a large bowl, and add about 1/4 cup of the strawberry vinaigrette. Massage and rub dressing into kale with your hands, then let the kale sit for 5-10 minutes.

Add in salt, pepper, cherries, berries and avocado, then add a few more tablespoons of dressing and toss. Finish by topping with chopped almonds.

Fresh Strawberry Vinaigrette

3/4 cup sliced fresh strawberries

3 tablespoons olive oil

2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar

1 teaspoon honey

1 pinch salt

1 pinch pepper

1 pinch cinnamon

Combine all ingredients together in a blender or food processor and blend until smooth.

Triple Berry Kale Salad with Fresh Strawberry Vinaigrette I howsweeteats.com

The end. [I mean it’s sort of a fairy tale, right?!]

122 Responses to “OMG… it’s another way I can eat kale.”

Claire @ Live and Love to Eat — June 28, 2012 @ 6:55 am

This is huge – and looks incredibly delicious. I think it could convert the masses to the dark side! ;)

Ali @ Peaches and Football — June 28, 2012 @ 6:58 am

I’m weird about kale – I tried making my own kale chips – salted, cheezed up, the works – but didn’t like them. I thought it tasted similar to what I’d imagine a dead leaf tasting like. But I always thought maybe uncooked kale might be a winner. I love the berry additions on this!!!

• Jessica — June 29th, 2012 @ 7:09 am

You know… you’re sort of right, they do kind of taste like dead leaves. And look like it too.

Kristen @ notsodomesticated — June 28, 2012 @ 7:06 am

Love this! I really want to make it soon. I love kale, but I haven’t made a kale salad yet. This one looks like a winner!

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey — June 28, 2012 @ 7:07 am

You must have the California vegan bug in you right now – next thing I know, you’ll be going gluten free! (okay, no, I know that statement was quite a stretch.)

Lauren at Keep It Sweet — June 28, 2012 @ 7:08 am

I almost always eat kale in chip form so I’m always looking for new ways to try it (other than soaked in oil). This looks great.

jessica lynn — June 28, 2012 @ 7:11 am

that strawberry vinaigrette needs to get in my belly now!

Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers — June 28, 2012 @ 7:14 am

Your salad looks amazing!! I wish I liked Kale, but I just can’t get into it. I can make this salad with romaine lettuce!!

Lauren @ Healthy Food For Living — June 28, 2012 @ 7:19 am

I ADORE massaged kale salads, but kinda sorta got burned out from eating a version with mango, avocado, and toasted coconut day after day. This amazing berry version will bring kale salad back into my life!

• Jessica — June 29th, 2012 @ 7:08 am

That version sounds delish though!

Sally @ Spontaneous Hausfrau — June 28, 2012 @ 7:32 am

Yes! Yes! Yes! This looks perfect. I’m going to cheat and add goat cheese. Because fruit needs goat cheese, or something like that.

Rachel Cooks — June 28, 2012 @ 7:50 am

I haven’t made massaged kale salads but this looks like one I could start with. Thanks for sharing!

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat — June 28, 2012 @ 7:51 am

This looks so pretty! Have you tried kale in omelettes yet? Just sautee it a little with your other veggies before adding in the eggs. It’s delicious! You could even add cheese and.. maybe…. a some bacon crumbles? ;) With all this quinoa, beans and kale business of yours, I imagine Mr How Sweet isn’t too happy. But I’m enjoying these recipes so keep ‘em coming!

• Jessica — June 29th, 2012 @ 7:08 am

I haven’t… but I should!

Sarena (The Non Dairy Queen) — June 28, 2012 @ 7:52 am

I’m so proud of you eating your veggies. It’s like you’re growing up right before my eyes! This looks delicious Jessica!

Gillian — June 28, 2012 @ 7:57 am

What a gorgeous looking salad! I normally love kale but choked down an overpriced kale salad last night and WAY more inspired by this beautiful creation!

Lisette — June 28, 2012 @ 8:10 am

We call Kale “boerenkool” here, translated that would be farmer’s cabbage. We boil the crap out of it,then mash it with potatoes and put a smoked sausage on top. It’s grose.(period). I am inclined to try your version though :D

Monique @ Ambitious Kitchen — June 28, 2012 @ 8:19 am

Yesssss! I love Kale. They only time I ever eat it though is usually with lemon and olive oil. This looks completely delicious.

Audrey Ellen — June 28, 2012 @ 8:21 am

one of my favorite italian restaurants in new york has this raw kale caesar that is salty and cheesy and tangy and UNREAL. and you can eat the whole thing and then be like ‘”What the what? kale? WHERE?”
    sounds like something potentially up your alley.

• Jessica — June 29th, 2012 @ 7:07 am

That sounds AMAZING!

Kati @ The Ivey League — June 28, 2012 @ 8:24 am

I could orally get behind this salad. ;)

What a great way to get to know kale!

Amber @ Slim Pickin's Kitchen — June 28, 2012 @ 8:33 am

Wow! I’m so impressed and proud of you! Thank you for eating a kale salad…b/c now that means that I don’t have to. Whew! But, I’ll orally eat this with romaine any day ;) Have a safe trip!

Kelly — June 28, 2012 @ 8:39 am

I really only like kale in a chip form too I find to be kind of off tasting just raw….but maybe I need to try this. I mean if you like it….haha!

Chelsy — June 28, 2012 @ 8:44 am

Holy God. Nooooo this is another way for ME to eat Kale. It’s my fave green of all time. What’s lettuce? I haven’t seen that in ages. Must make this asap!

nicole @ I am a Honey Bee — June 28, 2012 @ 8:56 am

we have so much kale at home for our rabbits. I just never think to eat any of it myself! great salad!

Mel G — June 28, 2012 @ 8:56 am

Hmmm….you’re eating kale, beans and donuts….you’re feeling giggly all the time…. are you pregnant?!? :P

• Jessica — June 29th, 2012 @ 7:07 am

Ha, definitely not pregnant.

Ann — June 28, 2012 @ 8:58 am

I love vegetables, but I’ve never liked raw kale. It always seemed kind of “gaggy” to me. But if you, our bacon, cheese, frosting guru, like this, I feel compelled to give it a try.

Lynne @ 365 Days of Baking — June 28, 2012 @ 9:08 am

This is huge!!! Are you changing right before our eyes??!! Awesome, but I still want to see your awesome dessert creations.
    Looks great, Jessica and I love the idea of the strawberry vinaigrette! It think I want it for breakfast. Glad you’re posting these kinds of recipes as of late, I’ve been on more of a health kick myself since I’ve become addicted to exercising again.
    Keep it up, girl!
    P.S. And OMG!!!! Can I just tell you that a fellow blogger friend sent me some Cookie Butter from Trader Joe’s yesterday because I hadn’t yet tried it. OMG!!!!!! That stuff is KILLER!!!! Going to have to decide what to do with it before I eat everything out of that darn jar!

Ashley @ My Food 'N' Fitness Diaries — June 28, 2012 @ 9:22 am

this looks fabulous! i have only ever had kale in “chips” form too… never in a salad. it makes me nervous. this salad makes it a little less frightening. ;)

Ali — June 28, 2012 @ 9:23 am

I hear the massive head of kale in my fridge calling to me, asking to be bathed in berries, avocados, and almonds. And maybe bacon.

Erin @ The Food Doctors — June 28, 2012 @ 9:25 am

I for one love the “new you”. Not that I don’t also love the old you, it’s just that the new you is better for my waistline. :)

Meghan @ After the Ivy League — June 28, 2012 @ 9:25 am

You’ve almost convinced me to try kale…almost. But I think it’s more likely I’ll try your glazed blueberry cake donuts first…

Cara — June 28, 2012 @ 9:30 am

I can confirm, kale massaged with a sweet strawberry dressing is utterly addicting and makes me easily go through entire 1lb bags very quickly by myself :)

Ali @ Gimme Some Oven — June 28, 2012 @ 9:30 am

I’m wish you on the kale chips, but THIS looks fantastic! :)

Amber — June 28, 2012 @ 9:36 am

Thanks for such an awesome dressing recipe!

Diana — June 28, 2012 @ 9:51 am

I can neither confirm nor deny what I am about to tell you but, iii’vvvee hheeaarrrdd…that but mushing up avacados and mixing it with kale that it softens the kale to edible. Let me know when you find out, will you?!

• Jessica — June 29th, 2012 @ 7:06 am

I’ve heard this! I’ve wanted to try buuuuut… afraid it would till taste too vegetabley to me.

Renee — June 28, 2012 @ 9:59 am

You are hilarous! :)

Lisa Sanchez — June 28, 2012 @ 10:13 am

Ha! I’m totally with you on the kale chips! Thanks for expanding my kale repertoire.

Kaitlin @4loveofcarrots — June 28, 2012 @ 10:41 am

oh my god drooling! can you please deliver this to me for lunch, thank you!

Cait's Plate — June 28, 2012 @ 10:42 am

Looks incredible. I have yet to really delve into the kale department, but if this was how it was served to me, I most definitely could. And I can’t really look at a cherry these days and NOT want to bite into it…so yes. Yes I do want to. :)

Ashley @ Wishes and Dishes — June 28, 2012 @ 11:00 am

Look at you with all this kale eating! Love it :)

Amanda @ The Dormestic Goddess — June 28, 2012 @ 11:01 am

Kale and berries are a match made in heaven! I’ve been topping mine with a blueberry kiwi salsa inspired by your blueberry peach salsa. It’s sweet and spicy and full of veggies! Delish! These photos are all spectacular, love the cherry one!

• Jessica — June 29th, 2012 @ 7:05 am

Love that idea.

allie@sweetpotatobites.com — June 28, 2012 @ 11:12 am

i can get on board with kale covered in berries and almonds – and strawberry dressing? yum!

Melanie — June 28, 2012 @ 11:19 am

For the first 30 yrs of my life, kale was always the inedible leaf they put next to the orange slice on my plate at Denny’s. You know, the pretty garnish that immediately went on the napkin when it attempted to touch my meal. I know you know. Then, my mom get all organic on me during her trip thru menopause and made me try it in salad form. I chewed on it for.ev.er. until I urped it into a napkin, never to be tried again. Then, not so long ago, I “stumbled upon” you and your kale chips. Ok, delish. I can do THAT kale. I will try THIS salad as my final attempt at raw leaves. This truly looks amazing!

• Jessica — June 29th, 2012 @ 7:04 am

I was always that girl with kale too!

Emilie @ Emilie's Enjoyables — June 28, 2012 @ 12:03 pm

I’m kind of a kale hater, I can’t even do the chips. But THIS. I can do.

Liz @ Tip Top Shape — June 28, 2012 @ 12:06 pm

This looks amazing!

Milynn — June 28, 2012 @ 12:18 pm

Yes you absolutely read my mind! I do want to bite into that cherry. Your pictures look fantastic! May I ask what type of camera you are using? Sorry if you posted it somewhere on here and I did not see it yet.

-Milynn
    Love-And-Whimsy Blog

• Jessica — June 29th, 2012 @ 7:04 am

I use a Nikon D5000!

Jen Marie — June 28, 2012 @ 12:31 pm

I love this dressing! It looks super fabulous. And anytime you add that many wonderful berries to a salad, you’re bound for a winner! :) Yeah!

Megan {Country Cleaver} — June 28, 2012 @ 12:54 pm

I really feel like I’m missing out on this whole Kale Bandwagon…After my first, only and most disastrous of Kale chip baking experiments went completely awry – I feel apprehensive about the whole thing – but clearly it is something I have to get over – quickly.

Averie @ Averie Cooks — June 28, 2012 @ 1:10 pm

glad you’re turning over to the dark side with your kale salads and bean burgers. The Fresh Strawberry Vinaigrette looks awesome and need to hear more about the CA adventures!!

Heather (Heather's Dish) — June 28, 2012 @ 1:11 pm

omg i orally want to drink that dressing :) (wait, that actually made some sense…whatevs)

Caralyn @ glutenfreehappytummy — June 28, 2012 @ 2:05 pm

how delicious! i love all the colors on there! gorgeous photos too!

Holiday Baker Man — June 28, 2012 @ 2:16 pm

I misread the headline… I thought it was a new way to eat CAKE. I was so stoked. :(

Carly@ Snack Therapy — June 28, 2012 @ 2:24 pm

Does the kale texture get less… weird… once you massage it and let it sit? In my mind, kale is like, a supervegetable. If I eat kale one day, I feel like I’ve fulfilled an entire day’s healthy eating quota. And that vinaigrette sounds SO GOOD!

• Jessica — June 29th, 2012 @ 7:03 am

I totally feel the same way. It definitely gets sort of… *softer* and less chewy and bitter – but it is still chewy. In order for me to really enjoy it (as well as ANY salad I ever eat), I have to chop the kale into very small pieces or strips, almost like a slaw or chopped salad. For some reason, I can only do salad that way.

• Carly@ Snack Therapy — June 29th, 2012 @ 1:31 pm

Thank you! I will have to try this then… and maybe wash it down with some PB Drizzle Milk Chocolate Cookies.

1. Pingback: Design from A to V » Blog Archive » 4 for the 4th

2. Pingback: 7 Recipes you should definately try on the 4th : fadedfarm

3. Pingback: 101 Summer Salad Recipes | Daily Bites | Healthy Gluten-Free + Dairy-Free Recipes

4. Pingback: Good Reads | The Bake & Brew

5. Pingback: around here | Moveable Feast

6. Pingback: the little kitchen » Blueberry Muffins and a Google+ Video

7. Pingback: cookin’ up a storm | Moveable Feast

8. Pingback: Blog Bites X « Healthy Food For Living

9. Pingback: kale with berries and strawberry vinaigrette « The Frabjous Versipel

10. Pingback: 20 Great Kale Recipes The Food Bitch Blog

11. Pingback: WIAW: Labor Day Eats | This Life Is Sparkling

12. Pingback: week 7: the budget update | project V515

13. Pingback: Happiness through Food | Joycreation

14. Pingback: Steak and Spinach Salad | Roxborough Park Ramblings

15. Pingback: Superfood Saturday: Kale | Step One to Health

16. Pingback: Tea Party Bridal Shower Inspiration | The Ultimate Bridesmaid Guide

17. Pingback: Strawberry and Chicken Poppy Seed Salad | cinnamon freud

18. Pingback: about Strawberry and Chicken Poppy Seed Salad | food

19. Pingback: 45 Best Healthy Berry Recipes - Panic and Anxiety News Blog | Panic and Anxiety News Blog

20. Pingback: Fresh Strawberry Salad Dressing | tastes.of.juniper