And I’m pretty serious too.

Triple Berry Kale Salad with Fresh Strawberry Vinaigrette I howsweeteats.com

Ugh. I know. This is just so… not me.

But don’t you want to bite into that cherry?

Triple Berry Kale Salad with Fresh Strawberry Vinaigrette I howsweeteats.com

I swear it has nothing to do with the fact that I’ve been in California all week and has no correlation to the quinoa and bean burgers and other stuff that happened in the last four days. I knew I’d be traveling until late tonight, and a few days after I first made this kale salad last Tuesday? I made those bean burgers which I’m contemplating putting on my table tonight the instant I return home. They are THAT good. That might end in divorce, but whatever. Do you even KNOW who I live with?

[p.s. I sort of feel something giggly inside about sharing quinoa, kale and lots of beans in the same week. It's like I'm playing a major major trick on myself. And you. I don't even know me anymore.

Oh and it's definitely the same kind of giggly I felt all day yesterday when my phone decided to consistently auto-correct "totally" to "orally." Like "OMG, I orally want to hug you right now." And "I orally love you." Or "I'm going to orally kill you!" And "are you orally serious?"

I don't know. Am I? Apparently my phone was,]

Triple Berry Kale Salad with Fresh Strawberry Vinaigrette I howsweeteats.com

So yeah.

Anyway, I’ve made no bones about the fact that I can only eat kale in chip form. Like roasted to a crisp and seriously salty. But but but… I’ve WANTED to be able to eat it in other ways. I mean, I’ve always wanted to eat vegetables, it’s just that I… find them utterly disgusting. Just the sight of raw kale scared me away for ages, so I knew I needed to add something incredibly addicting on top. And I’m reallllly obsessed with a local restaurant’s strawberry vinaigrette, so I figured it was a good place to start. It was.

Plus avocado. Plus crunchy toasted almonds. And then I massaged the kale with the strawberry dressing and let it sit… and sit… and then tossed everything else on top. AND THEN I ATE IT. Like, really ate it. Actually, I ate it twice. This.is.huge.

Triple Berry Kale Salad with Fresh Strawberry Vinaigrette I howsweeteats.com

Triple Berry Kale Salad

serves 4

1 head of curly kale, leaves removed from stem and torn

1 cup fresh tart cherries, pitted and sliced

1 cup fresh blueberries

1 cup fresh blackberries

1 cup sliced fresh strawberries

1 avocado, chopped

2/3 cup chopped toasted almonds

1/4 teaspoon salt

1/4 teaspoon pepper

Place kale in a large bowl, and add about 1/4 cup of the strawberry vinaigrette. Massage and rub dressing into kale with your hands, then let the kale sit for 5-10 minutes.

Add in salt, pepper, cherries, berries and avocado, then add a few more tablespoons of dressing and toss. Finish by topping with chopped almonds.

Fresh Strawberry Vinaigrette

3/4 cup sliced fresh strawberries

3 tablespoons olive oil

2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar

1 teaspoon honey

1 pinch salt

1 pinch pepper

1 pinch cinnamon

Combine all ingredients together in a blender or food processor and blend until smooth.

Triple Berry Kale Salad with Fresh Strawberry Vinaigrette I howsweeteats.com

The end. [I mean it's sort of a fairy tale, right?!]

116 Responses to “OMG… it’s another way I can eat kale.”

Eileen — June 28, 2012 @ 2:32 pm

Kale and berries, you say? And not in a smoothie that requires washing the blender? Veeery interesting!

Rachel @ Baked by Rachel — June 28, 2012 @ 2:58 pm

I’m cracking up over your phone. Auto-correct has a mind of it’s own

Sarah @ The Cyclist's Wife — June 28, 2012 @ 3:52 pm

Your pictures are rad. Seriously.

Katie — June 28, 2012 @ 4:07 pm

I’m so in to this salad.

Also, my phone auto corrects “dinner” to “dinner.com” and I can’t for the life of me figure out why, but I die laughing every time.

Katie — June 28, 2012 @ 4:29 pm

I never would have expected this combination. It sounds FANTASTIC!

christina @ ovenadventures — June 28, 2012 @ 5:13 pm

you made me hungry for a salad. in other news pigs are currently flying past my window.

• Jessica — June 29th, 2012 @ 7:01 am

Hahahaha!

Kelly — June 28, 2012 @ 6:29 pm

I grow swiss chard in the garden every year and I am wondering if it would be a good substitute for kale. I don’t know my greens very well but since I have a lot of it that I need to use up, what do you think?

• Jessica — June 29th, 2012 @ 7:01 am

I’m really not familiar with chard at all, but I think if you do use it, you should skip the massaging part and just drizzle the dressing like you would a regular salad? I may be wrong but I don’t think chard is a thick and chewy as kale?

Michaela — June 28, 2012 @ 7:42 pm

wait, no bacon, no butter, no chocolate, basically a really healthy and vegan (if you omit the honey) dish? this keeps getting better ;)

Brooke — June 28, 2012 @ 8:07 pm

I love fruit in salad! This looks so delicious!! I’m totally doing this when I get the ingredients for it. YUM.

Lisa | With Style and Grace — June 28, 2012 @ 8:07 pm

awesome, you start eating kale just when I stop. maybe I’ll try out this salad when this baby gives me back my appetite :)

• Jessica — June 29th, 2012 @ 7:00 am

I’m sure this will be short lived for me. :)

Angela @ Sleep and Repeat — June 28, 2012 @ 8:27 pm

That strawberry vinaigrette sounds so delicious! Need to give that a try :)

Michelle @ DailyWaffle — June 28, 2012 @ 9:18 pm

The vinaigrette is so so so good!! I don’t think this salad is gonna make it to the add fruit stage, let alone to the table!

• Jessica — June 29th, 2012 @ 6:59 am

Glad you liked it!!

luv what you do — June 28, 2012 @ 10:28 pm

What a gorgeous salad! I love all the fresh berries!!!

Piper@GotItCookIt — June 28, 2012 @ 11:23 pm

Yummy… Kale, where have you been all my life? I love, love, love it too! My Mom fed us some weird stuff, but I don’t remember kale. She fed us endive, and THAT is a whole ‘nother story, my friends!

From Valerie's Kitchen — June 29, 2012 @ 12:10 am

I would totally try this…. :) All jokes aside, my sis made me a raw kale salad once that was delish. This one looks amazing. The strawberry vinaigrette is so unique. Very nice!

idiosyncratic eye — June 29, 2012 @ 8:17 am

I’ve only seen kale used boiled like cabbage, wasn’t inspired. :)

Julie F — June 29, 2012 @ 8:25 am

Omg I almost peed my pants laughing at your auto correct story. “orally hilarious!” :)

Heather @ Sixty Minute Housewife — June 29, 2012 @ 8:49 am

This salad looks absolutely delish! I love berries and almonds in my salad so I can’t wait to try with kale.

Allison F. — June 29, 2012 @ 8:50 am

Well, I “orally” dig that you’ve shared beans, quinoa and kale this week! No shame in eating healthy, delicious foods, even though I know desserty indulgence is kinda your thing. That’s all good, too! But for what it’s worth, I absolutely love these healthy, savory additions to your blog.

Jennifer — June 29, 2012 @ 9:44 am

Yes, I also want to eat that cherry. Love this new kale recipe.

Nadine — June 29, 2012 @ 2:51 pm

I personally find kale to be bitter, but it is good for you. so I started growing it and as the leaves mature I snip them off. I put them in my food dehydrator and crush them up. I then sprinkle them on everything: scrambled eggs, salad, chili, soup you name it I sprinkle it on. and for the most part I can’t taste it. I do have to check my teeth for little green specks when I put it on my salad.

Mara — June 30, 2012 @ 10:27 pm

Do you think the salad would keep if I made it a day ahead?

Jenny @ BAKE — July 2, 2012 @ 5:32 am

I love your salad toppings!

Rene — July 2, 2012 @ 4:26 pm

I learned to eat kale in lentil and kale soup. I process onion carrot and celery and garlic in a food processor and saute it in olive oil for a base, then I add a mix of broth (low sodium chicken) and water, bring to a low boil and add lentils – season to taste with herbs, salt, pepper – I like to add a dry bay leaf and maybe a couple whole garlic cloves (remove before serving, optional). When lentils are cooked to desired tenderness, I add rough chopped kale to simmering soup for just a few minutes until it’s wilted but still deep dark green. It’s quite delicious and filling – serve with grilled cheese. I adapted this recipe from the back of a package of dry lentils – I change it up from time to time, add more or different fresh herbs, sometimes for a different flavor I experiment with spices like cumin, etc.

Brittany — July 2, 2012 @ 4:49 pm

This looks amazing. Definitely going on the “to-make” list!

Sharyn Dimmick — July 5, 2012 @ 10:01 pm

You lost me with the avocado, but I just got a bunch of kale in my CSA. I usually eat it in salad, drowned in tahini, garlic, tamari and lots of lemon juice, but I might try the strawberry vinaigrette once.

Karen Lothrop — July 8, 2012 @ 3:22 pm

Kale is so darn chewey I am trying this out can’T wait. I did make a kale recipe it was an Indian one with potato it was good but you need to cook that Kale longer than it said or its rough.

Jen @ keepitsimplefoods — July 10, 2012 @ 7:21 am

I love eating kale in salads, but I’ve never tried it with fruit. This looks delicious!

Dawn Pressentin — September 17, 2012 @ 10:27 pm

I am obsessed with kale salads and I cannot wait to try this one. I love the idea of mixing berries with avocado..yum!

J — November 4, 2012 @ 1:49 pm

What would you add for protein other than chicken? Any ideas?

Rea Kocon — April 25, 2013 @ 5:35 pm

In some countries, especially those with small numbers of animals being milked, as well as harvesting the milk from an animal, the dairy may also process the milk into butter, cheese and yogurt, for example. This is a traditional method of producing specialist milk products, especially in Europe….

Our favorite web blog
    <a href="http://www.caramoanpackage.com/caramoan-package/

Jessica — June 16, 2013 @ 4:02 pm

Um… Yum! I’ve always wanted to be a kale eater too, but haven’t had luck and since it’s the beginning of cherry season, this may be my new summer salad! Thanks for “orally” making me laugh!