Luckily, there’s only been a handful of times in my life when I’ve been seriously disappointed.

…when I learned the truth about Santa, even though at age 14 I still begged my brothers to sleep in my bed with me because I was so horrified of a portly, hairy man seeing me while I was sleeping. See also: when I learned the truth about Dirty Dancing. Like it not being real life.

…when my mom claimed that parmesan truffle fries tasted… “funny.”

…when I found out that Alanis was really singing about Uncle Joey in In You Oughta Know. [At least it wasn’t Uncle Jesse though, because I may have hoisted myself over the Golden Gate in depressing tribute.]

…when I found out about skinny jeans. Basically, just skinny jeans in general.

…oh, and that time I tried to make a pie crust like Mother Lovett and ran screaming for the hills, swearing off all pastry for life. Without ever writing part two.

But no fear. Definitely no disappointment here. You don’t have to make a crust, or press it into a dish, or make cute little designs on the edges that look like crap while everyone else’s look amazing. And you certainly don’t have to do any of that lattice junk over the top and wait a million years while it bakes and sets up.

All you have to do is throw some stuff in a mug and eat it. It’s like the lazy man’s pie. I like it, I do I do.

And it may not even really be a pie, but what the heck else should I call it? Strawberries in a mug with crust? Um, no. Come onnnnnn people. Don’t get picky with me today… I’m just showing you how to make a dessert in minutes and eat it with a spoon. Mug pie is where it’s AT. Syrupy, juicy strawberries underneath some serious puff pastry crust. UGH… I just love puff pastry. I think on my bucket list I shall add “eat an entire plain puff pastry sheet” and see where it takes me.

You don’t need to make these in a mug – you can clearly make them in a cutie ramekin or even a small sort of bowl. You don’t have to put your mugs in the oven since that’s not always safe, but I used some older mugs that I knew had handled the heat before, and that are also my husband’s ancient (not in a good way) dish ware from the pre-Jessica days. I’ve only been trying to get rid of that junk for almost four years (I give it away to everyone, why must they be good people and give it back?!) so if it shattered in the oven, I’m not gonna lie… I wouldn’t shed a tear.

If you still want to serve the little pies in mugs, you can roast the strawberries in a dish, puff the pastry (hardy har har) in the oven, then assemble it together in a mug right before serving. Because holding a pie in your hand with a big spoon while you sit on the couch is definitely something we should all be doing. Like today.

Strawberry Mug Pies

serves 4

2 pounds of fresh strawberries, hulled and quartered

2 tablespoons granulated sugar

1 tablespoon all-purpose flour

pinch of salt

1 thawed puff pastry sheet, cut into 4 circles/squares to sit on the mugs

1 egg, lightly beaten

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.

In a baking dish, combine strawberries, sugar, flour, salt and mix to combine. Either divide the mixture into 4 mugs or ramekins, or keep it in the baking dish. Place cut puff pastry either over top of the mug or ramekin, or on a baking sheet, and brush with beaten egg. Place the mugs on a baking sheet and place in the oven (or just place the baking dish and sheet with pastry in the oven). Bake for 25-30 minutes, checking once in between to stir strawberries and see how the pastry is coming along. When pastry is golden and puffed, remove and let cool to the touch (about 5 minutes) then serve (or spoon the strawberries into the mug and top with pastry).

Additionally, forgive me for using a grapefruit spoon to eat my pie. That’s what happens when literally every utensil you own is dirty and you’re too lazy to hand wash one.

127 Responses to “Strawberry Mug Pies.”

Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles — June 1, 2012 @ 7:09 am

Skinny jeans seriously disappoint me too….. Especially when looking at all of the delicious things you bake on here!
    Ummmm, I won’t get picky with you here- I like the whole strawberry, syrup, and puff pastry crust thing- it must be delicious!

marissa @ the boot — June 1, 2012 @ 7:13 am

hahaha i totally forgot about alanis and uncle joey! it still just seems wrong on so many levels. i’m trying this mug pie asap!

Meki — June 1, 2012 @ 7:17 am

GOSH. *u*

Sarena (The Non Dairy Queen) — June 1, 2012 @ 7:17 am

I love individual easy treats. It’s fun to make all out fancy treats, but sometimes, sitting down to a mug of cake or pie is just perfect! This is exactly that, perfect!

Katrina — June 1, 2012 @ 7:27 am

Oh boy…I need this.

Ali @ Peaches and Football — June 1, 2012 @ 7:34 am

Skinny jeans!? don’t get me started.

Great to see yummy berry recipies. Picking season is right around the corner for us!

betty — June 1, 2012 @ 7:35 am

could you make two puff pastry sheets so we can each have one.. and you can teach me how to fishtail my hair? haha this looks yum!

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat — June 1, 2012 @ 7:39 am

We have the same problem with utensils in our house! As for disappointments, I too was a very sad little 8 year old when I found out about Alanis and her not-so-nice song about Uncle Joey. I still remember the day my dad and I went out CD shopping and he bought me Jagged Little Pill… I had it blaring when I got home and my mum was horrified. (Dad was also in trouble.) ;)

• Jessica — June 1st, 2012 @ 7:39 am

It was my very first CD ever!

Rachel Cooks — June 1, 2012 @ 7:44 am

Haha! I think the grapefruit spoon is a genius idea, probably helps to get through the puff pastry! This has endless possibilities, can’t wait to try it.

Jen @ keepitsimplefoods — June 1, 2012 @ 7:45 am

YUM!!!

carrie — June 1, 2012 @ 7:51 am

mouth = salivating.

Kristen @ notsodomesticated — June 1, 2012 @ 7:51 am

Hahaha was she really singing about Uncle Joey?? That is hilarious!

Catalina @ Cake with Love — June 1, 2012 @ 7:56 am

That strawberry sauce over the flaky crust is so beautiful, look like the perfect summer dessert!

Debbie Rogozinski — June 1, 2012 @ 7:57 am

It just so happens I have everything I need to make this and my son is almost as much of a pie junkie as I am – I see this in our future for dinner tonight!

Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers — June 1, 2012 @ 8:03 am

Oh my gosh! What a great, great, great recipe!!! I LOVE it!!

Lauren at Keep It Sweet — June 1, 2012 @ 8:03 am

So simple yet so perfect!

Annie @ What's Annie Making? — June 1, 2012 @ 8:09 am

Oooh I love the mug pie idea. I figured out how to make pumpkin mug cakes this year and I swear they got me through finals week.

Alisha @ Pink Spatulas — June 1, 2012 @ 8:10 am

I literally laughed out loud about your Santa comment because my brother and I were the exact same way. We were TERRIFIED of the idea of some strange man coming in our house in the middle of the night. Anyway, today’s recipe looks phenomenal… anything with strawberries and sugar sounds good to me!

Jenna — June 1, 2012 @ 8:32 am

Same thing’s happening in my sink. I’m becoming quite obstinate about doing the dishes.

Amy W — June 1, 2012 @ 8:32 am

Soooooo who’s going to deliver this to me at work?

Kim in MD — June 1, 2012 @ 8:46 am

I didn’t know Alanis was singing about Uncle Joey! How did I not know that?

The mug pie looks delicious, and I love the portion control!

• Jessica — June 1st, 2012 @ 11:00 am

Kim… when I found out, I was scarred for life.

sally @ sallys baking addiction — June 1, 2012 @ 8:58 am

Alanis + Uncle Joey was such a bummer. The song was never the same after I learned that.

Any recipe where I don’t have ot make my own pie crust is heaven sent. I am scared of pie crust and anythign to do with yeast. Puff pastry is where it’s at. And strawberries are just my fave. Soooooooooo yeah, I am loving this recipe! TGIFFFFF

• Jessica — June 1st, 2012 @ 10:59 am

I know it was most likely unintended but I’m dying over the TGIF pun in reference to Uncle Joey and Full House.

Ryan @ Spicy Richmond — June 1, 2012 @ 9:08 am

I’m loving the mug pie/cake trend! So quick and easy!

kaceyt @ om&nom — June 1, 2012 @ 9:32 am

Mug cakes and mug brownies have been killing my all-things-in-moderation lifestyle! Now these?!?

Hannah — June 1, 2012 @ 9:32 am

I don’t know which I love more: your recipes, your photos, or your writer’s voice.

• Jessica — June 1st, 2012 @ 10:58 am

Hannah… you are amazing. Thank you.

Maria — June 1, 2012 @ 9:37 am

Such a fun dessert!

Alyssa — June 1, 2012 @ 9:38 am

LOVE the idea of pie made in a mug! This will come in handy this summer!

Mary — June 1, 2012 @ 9:45 am

i actually had to google uncle joey and the first thing that popped up was about him and alanis. i feel so out of the loop!
    mug pies are a genius idea.

Alice — June 1, 2012 @ 10:08 am

This is absolutely legendary. I have these personal size ceramic Crate & Barrel that would work perfectly for this. I used to use them for entertaining and throw some stew under puff pastry in them. What a surprise it will be for people when they discover it’s pie under the pastry instead. Genius!

Malina — June 1, 2012 @ 10:17 am

Do you stir mid way in oven in the mugs too? The pastry is swimming in the finished picture so is that what it creates and the goal? Strawberry picking season is here and this sounds healthy and simple!!

• Jessica — June 1st, 2012 @ 10:58 am

I did stir, but I made 3 different trials of this and I think the syrupy juice will depend on how ripe and juicy your strawberries are, and therefore depend on if it soaks into some of the pastry. I loved it both ways, so I think either works!

Cait's Plate — June 1, 2012 @ 10:26 am

I was 14ish when I learned that santa wasn’t real too. And I cried when I learned the truth. And, because I’m sure you’ve already deduced this….yes. I was most definitely a cool kid ;)

• Jessica — June 1st, 2012 @ 10:56 am

Never doubted it.

Rachel @ Baked by Rachel — June 1, 2012 @ 11:04 am

Uncle Jesse?! I need to listen to that song apparently and think about it. Pie in a cup – you know this would be super cute for any old day.

Karin - The F Girl — June 1, 2012 @ 11:10 am

Boy. Uncle Joey. I didn’t know either. Until now. Not sure whether I should thank you for that or not ;-)

Just made a crumble with strawberries, but oh my, this looks divine too. I am absolutely going to try this one next week!

PS. you make me smile everytime I come here (and I am sure that goes for a lot of your visitors). I say that’s a talent to treasure!

Moni Meals — June 1, 2012 @ 11:25 am

Great stories! Ha.:)

Now this I will for sure be making. So great!

and Strawberries as we all know, are NOW in full effect. :)

Thanks Jessica!

Sarah R. — June 1, 2012 @ 11:31 am

I took a sip of tea right before I read “At least it wasn’t Uncle Jesse though, because I may have hoisted myself over the Golden Gate in depressing tribute.”

I’m now wiping that off my monitor. Oh Em Gee. And I feel you on the every utensil is dirty conundrum. I went to the grocery store yesterday and picked up virtuous ingredients like kale, tofu, yogurt… and ended up eating a Taco Bell cheese quesadilla for dinner* because I couldn’t bear the thought of cleaning dishes to cook and then cleaning them again. I may have succeeded in talking my boyfriend into buying us a dishwasher though. And by talking him into it I mean I pointed out it was his turn to do dishes.

*I know, I know, this was the low point of my week.

• Jessica — June 1st, 2012 @ 11:34 am

Oh man. I love you.

Stephanie — June 1, 2012 @ 11:54 am

Portion control pies? I think I like mug pies better, hehe

Meghan @ After the Ivy League — June 1, 2012 @ 11:58 am

I don’t think disappointed is a strong enough word for how I felt when I found out Alanis was singing about Uncle Joey. I mean, those lyrics are INTENSE. Uncle Joey?!? Permanently scarred.

Equally horrifying is the fact that You Oughta Know was one of my favorite songs in 4th grade. I had the cassette.

Bethany @ Accidental Intentions — June 1, 2012 @ 11:58 am

I sincerely appreciate you taking the mug cake phenomenon to a whole new level with mug pies. Rock on, girl. Rock on.

Yammie @ Yammie's Noshery — June 1, 2012 @ 12:00 pm

This looks perfecto. I think ice cream would be in order.

Cassie — June 1, 2012 @ 12:09 pm

I love the sound [and look] of a lazy man’s pie. love. love. love.

Nancy @ CouponClippingCook — June 1, 2012 @ 12:10 pm

What a fun idea. Just a few ingredients and so easy to make.

Stephanie @cookinfanatic — June 1, 2012 @ 12:11 pm

mouth.is.WATERING. !!

Mia — June 1, 2012 @ 12:31 pm

I have been desperately wanting ramekins for a very long time (but somehow every time I get ready to buy some, I just buy shoes and dresses instead, and then I have no money left for cooking utensils…or food to cook). This also seems like a reasonably healthy recipe that I could sub some Splenda into and feel completely unguilty about eating. So…the goal for this weekend: buy ramekins. Oh, and cake pans, because the boy I date is apparently having a birthday tomorrow, and I apparently promised there would be a cake.

Cate — June 1, 2012 @ 12:48 pm

Uuuummm….. What truth about Santa? The fact that he’s real and totally awesome???!!?!

Redd H from Salted Spoon — June 1, 2012 @ 12:49 pm

Okay, this is brilliant! I love this idea so much. So cute and easy. Thanks!

Katie — June 1, 2012 @ 1:14 pm

Yeah, handwashing silverwear?! I don’t think I’ve ever done that in my life. Ever.

But eating a pie out of a mug..that’s totally my style.

Dana — June 1, 2012 @ 2:00 pm

Would love to try this, but I can’t get over the eery resemblance it has to the “hunter’s pie” the crazy maenad (sp?) made on True Blood in season 2…

Love you’re writing style though, always is the highlight of my lunch break. You are truely the only blogger I have found who can pull off being genuinely sarcastic/funny without sounding like you’re trying too hard. LOVE IT

Kerry Dwyer — June 1, 2012 @ 3:45 pm

Wow – Why didn’t I know about strawberry mug pie until now?
    Nice recipes you have here. I have one for Gin and Tonic Jelly. That was so good I had to lick the shelf in the fridge when it leaked out of the mold.

Christina @ This Woman Cooks! — June 1, 2012 @ 3:59 pm

All I’ve wanted recently is pie, but not a whole pie because then I’d eat it all and want to die, so this is perfect :D

Bee (Quarter Life Crisis Cuisine) — June 1, 2012 @ 4:00 pm

So perfect! Now if only you could alter them to be microwaved… hehe

1. Pingback: Sample Saturday | Homekeeping Adventures

2. Pingback: Mini Strawberry Pies : Sweeter Lemon

3. Pingback: How Sweet It Is Strawberry Mug Pies | Killer Bunnies, Inc

4. Pingback: Strawberry Pie | Smiley Smith Kitchens

5. Pingback: A Mug Inspiring Compilation | nomnivorefood

6. Pingback: A Cake in a Mug | Whisk

7. Pingback: Drool | Autumn People

8. Pingback: Mug Recipes

9. Pingback: 18 Microwave Snacks You Can Cook In A Mug | Select Group Real Estate

10. Pingback: 15 Microwave Snacks You Can Cook In A Mug | World class cooking recipes

11. Pingback: Prepará todo en una taza - Chismes Mundo | Chismes Mundo

12. Pingback: Adorable Single Serving Mug Foods | OMG Cute Things

13. Pingback: Strawberry Recipe Round-Up | Chocolate Moosey

14. Pingback: Strawberry Round up

15. Pingback: 18 Microwave Snacks You Can Cook In A Mug | The Food Explorer

16. Pingback: 10 Simple And Delicious Meals In A Mug You Simply Have To Try - Exquisite Girl

17. Pingback: Mug Recipes | hidden in london

18. Pingback: รวม 10 ไอเดียของหวานและขนมเค้กแสนอร่อย ที่ทำได้ง่ายๆจากไมโครเวฟ | NaiBann.com - แบบบ้าน แต่งบ้าน เฟอร

19. Pingback: รวม 10 ไอเดียของหวานและขนมเค้กแสนอร่อย ที่ทำได้ง่ายๆจากไมโครเวฟ | NaiBann.com - แบบบ้าน แต่งบ้าน เฟอร

20. Pingback: Strawberry Pie in a Mug | Nibbles and Noshing

21. Pingback: Miércoles de diseño: Recetas originales en una taza y en pocos minutos

22. Pingback: Microwaves Make for Fast, Easy Meals - Goedeker's Home Life Blog

23. Pingback: 12 dessert in a mug recipes to kill your sugar cravings

24. Pingback: Receitas de microondas na caneca | Casar é um barato

25. Pingback: 15 Super Mug Cakes

26. Pingback: 24 Magnificent Meals You Can Microwave In A Mug

27. Pingback: 50+ Meals You Can Make In A Mug | Student Budget Living

28. Pingback: รวม 10 ไอเดียของหวานและขนมเค้กแสนอร่อย ที่ทำได้ง่ายๆจากไมโครเวฟ | NaiBann.com

29. Pingback: Delicious Snacks in a Mug | The Mystic Kitchen