Want to know what really goes on over here?

Thin + Chewy Chocolate Drenched Coconut Oatmeal Squares I howsweeteats.com

This.

This goes on.

Like I can’t even control myself long enough to take a picture of something before digging in with a fork. Ugh. And it happens ALL THE TIME. Welcome to True Life: I eat my food straight out of the pan with forks.

Thin + Chewy Chocolate Drenched Coconut Oatmeal Squares I howsweeteats.com

And yes, I say forkS with and S because I usually have some forks in every photo since I can’t think of anything new to throw in there and am a.) hungry 2.) lazy and c.) starving.

Thin + Chewy Chocolate Drenched Coconut Oatmeal Squares I howsweeteats.com

These little squares are serious no-bake delights. Easy, quick, chewy and thin… thin enough that you can justify eating one (or five) for a snack or even a meal. And once you pop, you can’t stop. Really. I couldn’t stop. I almost made myself ill because they tasted so good. You know… ill in the best sort of way.

Thin + Chewy Chocolate Drenched Coconut Oatmeal Squares I howsweeteats.com

Here’s what pretty little coconut oatmeal square tops look like.

And here’s what pretty little coconut oatmeal square butts look like. And here’s what my entire lunch looked like. Oops.

Thin + Chewy Chocolate Drenched Coconut Oatmeal Squares I howsweeteats.com

Thin + Chewy Chocolate Drenched Coconut Oatmeal Squares

makes one 9×9 pan (about 16 squares)

1 1/2 cups old fashioned oats

1 1/2 cups shredded, sweetened coconut

1/4 cup brown sugar, loosely packed

pinch of salt

1/4 cup unsalted butter

1/4 cup coconut oil (measured solid)

1/4 cup honey

Spray a 9×9 pan with nonstick spray.

In a large bowl, combine oats, coconut, brown sugar and salt. Heat a small saucepan over low heat and add butter and coconut oil, stirring until melted. Add the butter and oil to the oat mixture, then add the honey and stir very thoroughly until the entire mix is moistened. Press it into the pan and stick in the fridge for 15 minutes.

chocolate layer

8 ounces good-quality chocolate, chocolate

2 tablespoons coconut oil (measured solid)

Using the same saucepan that you melted the butter and oil in, add the chocolate and oil and stir over low heat until melted. Remove the pan from the fridge and pour the chocolate evenly over top, spreading with a spatula or spoon. Place back in the fridge for about 30 minutes. When ready to eat, either cut the squares in the pan, or gently lift the square out and place on a cutting board to cut. It helps if the bars somewhat come to room temp before cutting, as they will slightly crumble a bit if super cold!

Thin + Chewy Chocolate Drenched Coconut Oatmeal Squares I howsweeteats.com

These babies are ahhhddicting. Swear.

122 Responses to “Thin + Chewy Chocolate Drenched Coconut Oatmeal Squares.”

jessica lynn — June 20, 2012 @ 6:57 am

those look heavenly…and just the thing to make when my husband deploys since he loathes coconut. YUM!!!

Ali @ Peaches and Football — June 20, 2012 @ 6:58 am

OK the last 3 days I’ve been stuck in 90+ degree weather sweating body parts I did not know existed and giving lethal stares at any recipe that suggested the horrible notion of firing up the oven. These little babies are SO happening.

Tonight

Maybe I could skip work and just make them now?

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey — June 20, 2012 @ 6:59 am

Loving the use of the coconut in these bars!

Liz — June 20, 2012 @ 7:10 am

Tastiest addiction to have!

Kristen @ notsodomesticated — June 20, 2012 @ 7:17 am

I do the same thing. I literally have no self-control when it comes to baked goods straight out of the oven!

Rachel Cooks — June 20, 2012 @ 7:28 am

Oh these look wonderful! I could definitely eat the whole pan, fork or no fork! ;)

Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers — June 20, 2012 @ 7:29 am

I am totally loving this recipe!! I could eat the whole pan. This looks like a good one to make tonight!! Thanks Jessica!!

sally @ sallys baking addiction — June 20, 2012 @ 7:30 am

chocolate + coconut is *almost* as good as pb+chocolate. ALMOST. These look so delicious JEssica. Love the cute oatmeal square butts!

Sarena (The Non Dairy Queen) — June 20, 2012 @ 7:33 am

I want one of these with my next cup of coffee! They’re oatmeal so that means they can be breakfast! YUM! Oh and coconut oil does such amazing things with chocolate. It’s like they were made for each other!

Jamie @ green beans & grapefruit — June 20, 2012 @ 7:39 am

These look insane! Breakfast on steroids if you ask me.

Abby Flynt — June 20, 2012 @ 8:08 am

My coconut oil is having a difficult time staying solid with this 90 degree weather.

Kim in MD — June 20, 2012 @ 8:11 am

Yum! These look so addicting!

Kim | At Home With Kim — June 20, 2012 @ 8:11 am

I just pinned this to make soon with my kiddos…. though with my total lack of willpower I’m not sure that’s a good idea ~ my fork may end up in the pan too! :-) I’ve recently discovered and fell in love with coconut oil, so anxious to try this!

Blog is the New Black — June 20, 2012 @ 8:14 am

I find myself saying this a lot but…. I think I love you?

Sara McGee — June 20, 2012 @ 8:16 am

These look amazing! But, I’m trying to think of ways to substitute out the coconut… I know I know start throwing rocks at me now, but I don’t like coconut! Suggestions?

ellenbcookery — June 20, 2012 @ 8:31 am

Those look incredibly good. I love anything with coconut, but combine it with chocolate and I’m in heaven!

Kelly — June 20, 2012 @ 8:34 am

Here’s the thing…by eating out of the pan it is less dishes you have to do. I am all for that.

Natalie @ freshlifefindings — June 20, 2012 @ 8:38 am

Wow these look amazing! And I’m glad I’m not the only one who makes myself I’ll off the prep of recipes because I eat the I ingredients! I’m glad these are so easy, definitely a must make.

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat — June 20, 2012 @ 8:38 am

LOL I can’t even begin to count the number of times I’ve had to re-make blog food because I couldn’t resist digging in before taking photos. Mind you, these look so good that I definitely wouldn’t mind having several batches on hand! ;)

Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles — June 20, 2012 @ 8:56 am

If they are looking for casting—- I could totally be on that Real Life episode too. I could also be on the eating straight from the pan- with fingers too. Oops ;)

Living The Sweet Life — June 20, 2012 @ 8:56 am

I kind of hate / love how easy this recipe is … love because I want one right now, hate because I’m not going to share. Who am I kidding, these need to be in my face as soon as possible, I love it!!

Emilie @ Emilie's Enjoyables — June 20, 2012 @ 9:10 am

these call to my serious coconut obsession right now. and the fact that it’s 100 degrees out and I have resigned to only “baking” no-bake treats.

Suzanne — June 20, 2012 @ 9:10 am

Sometimes, your desserts make me want to lick the computer screen. Today is one of those days… Damn those look delicious!

Sarah K. @ The Pajama Chef — June 20, 2012 @ 9:14 am

this looks great. coconut anything is my new obsession!

Gina @ Running to the Kitchen — June 20, 2012 @ 9:17 am

You know what’s funny…there’s no forks in this post ;)
    I have a list of stuff I want to make eventually and chocolate/coconut no bake something or another have been on it for months now. Thank you for crossing that one off for me!

Lindsay @ The Live-In Kitchen — June 20, 2012 @ 9:22 am

These look so addictive. I do the same thing, eating out of the pan. For some reason if I’m eating it one bite at a time as I walk by twenty times a day its like it never happened!

Jocelyn @BruCrew Life — June 20, 2012 @ 9:29 am

Oh my…I seriously want a panful of that for my lunch!!! That sounds incredible…and so easy:-)

Cookbook Queen — June 20, 2012 @ 9:31 am

It’s been eleventy zillion degrees here in Arkansas (that’s before the humidity index, obvi), so these a perfect!!

Cait's Plate — June 20, 2012 @ 9:32 am

looks like a pretty darn acceptable lunch plate to me! :)

Robyn Stone | Add a Pinch — June 20, 2012 @ 9:35 am

Mercy! If that’s what’s going on around there, then I need to come visit! :)

Karly — June 20, 2012 @ 9:47 am

I have a pan on the counter that’s waiting to be photographed and has an entire section missing. Those damn forks. Always within easy reach.

Chelsy — June 20, 2012 @ 9:53 am

Oh my shiat! Those look amazing! Definitely appropriate lunch food!

Laura — June 20, 2012 @ 10:00 am

Hahahah there butts look cute ;)

Meghan @ After the Ivy League — June 20, 2012 @ 10:17 am

These are happening this weekend. I have a bag of sweetened coconut in my cabinet begging to be a chewy coconut bar. Yum!

The Witch's Kitchen — June 20, 2012 @ 10:22 am

OMG those look good! Will definately have to try them!

Lynne @ 365 Days of Baking — June 20, 2012 @ 10:30 am

Oh, oh, oh! LOVE these!!
    That’s all I’m sayin’.

Lauren — June 20, 2012 @ 10:33 am

Totally in LOVE with these!!

JulieD — June 20, 2012 @ 10:41 am

Because this has oatmeal it’s completely healthy, right? Ps these look amazing. Want.

Heather (Heather's Dish) — June 20, 2012 @ 10:44 am

girl i do the same thing – i pick the ugliest side, dig in with a fork and hope the high heaven that i don’t eat the whole thing before i get photos of the pretty side. Lord help me…

HeatherChristo — June 20, 2012 @ 10:44 am

You know what? These are going to be a Reeeeeal problem. now I have to make these, as I have no real self control when it comes to coconut.

Genny — June 20, 2012 @ 10:44 am

Completely understand the whole eating out of the pan thing. Hate to admit, but sometimes Rice Krispie treats get eaten right out of the bowl and never make it to the pan!

Liz @ Tip Top Shape — June 20, 2012 @ 10:48 am

Ooohhh this looks good!!!

Ashley @ My Food 'N' Fitness Diaries — June 20, 2012 @ 10:56 am

you always get me with your dessert recipes. these would be my lunch too with a big glass of milk. hey, at least i’m getting some protein from the milk, right? oh, and whole grains from the oats. ;)

Nancy @ CouponClippingCook — June 20, 2012 @ 10:58 am

wow, these look so good and so easy to make too. I dig in before, during, and after taking food pics too…just can’t help myself.

Janelle — June 20, 2012 @ 11:07 am

Oh goodness. This pan would last less than a day in my house… and I’m the only one that would eat it!

Averie @ Averie Cooks — June 20, 2012 @ 11:08 am

These are perfect! No bake, oats, chocolate…coconut oil! Yes! I love this idea and that they stay chewy…I am all about that!

allie@sweetpotatobites.com — June 20, 2012 @ 11:13 am

chocolate and coconut are two of my favorite things EVER so it’s highly likely i will be making these stat.

Michelle @ Brown Eyed Baker — June 20, 2012 @ 11:18 am

I’ve been loving coconut lately; can’t wait to try these!

Stephanie @ Eat. Drink. Love. — June 20, 2012 @ 11:24 am

Yummmmmm!! I am often very impatient when I am taking photos as well. And I would be totally lying if I said I never picked at the food while taking photos…oh, the things we do…

Angelyn @ Everyday Desserts — June 20, 2012 @ 11:34 am

Oh, yum! Chocolate drenched anything sounds pretty amazing!

1. Pingback: thin + chewy chocolate drenched coconut oatmeal squares - - Network Panda – cPanel Web hosting, PHP, MySQL, unlimited disk space and bandwidth

2. Pingback: Hautelinks: Week of 6/21/12 – College Fashion

3. Pingback: fun facts friday

4. Pingback: Thank You Friday :: A Ladder Turned Clothes Rack | thank you summer

5. Pingback: » The Saturday Brunch Buffet 6/23/2012 The Live-In Kitchen

6. Pingback: » Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies The Live-In Kitchen

7. Pingback: The Weekend « Hot Pot

8. Pingback: I Swallowed (A Wine Tasting Recap) | Eating Chalk

9. Pingback: Coconut Bars and Food Processor Yummies | ourtinynest

10. Pingback: Tasty Tuesday: Chocolate Covered Coconut Oatmeal Squares | Mod City Mag

11. Pingback: Crunchy Dark Chocolate and Peanut Butter Oatmeal Squares | Reini Days

12. Pingback: Tales of my NEW Commute « Triathlete Treats