I call this sandwich bread, but I’m really completely full of it.

Because… I can’t make a sandwich to save my life.

I mean, I WANT a sandwich. Often. But every time I go to make a sandwich? I spy an avocado or something. And it takes me all of about 3.3 seconds to mash that thing up and slather it on serious toast and then… no sandwich for me.

OR. I end up doing this wild and crazy thing… like um, poaching an egg? A little obsessed with that right now. And then it ends up on the toast and it’s all runny and perfect and staring me in the face like HA WHAT ABOUT THAT SANDWICH and ingredients placed between bread just don’t happen even though I’m intensely craving a BLT.

BUT.

If I WERE to make a sandwich… and I’m talking a non-grilled cheese sandwich, because it’s fairly clear I have no issue throwing those together… this bread would last mere moments. Here we have my actual first attempt at making a real loaf – like, not a quick bread! – and I think I’m pretty sold. Seriously sold. I love that I know EXACTLY what is in this bread, that it has some severe chew from those oats, and that I can pile on avocado galore and eat ’til my heart’s content… just because it’s homemade.

These rules make my life.

Whole Wheat Oatmeal Sandwich Bread

[loosely adapted from king arthur flour]

makes one 9×5 loaf

1 packet active dry yeast (2 1/4 teaspoons)

1 1/4 cups warm milk

2 teaspoons honey

1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour

1 cup old fashioned oats

1 1/2 cups bread flour

2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted

3 tablespoons brown sugar

1 teaspoon salt

In a small bowl, combine milk, yeast and honey, stirring to mix. Let sit until foamy, about 10 minutes.

In the bowl of an electric mixer (fitted with a dough hook), add flour, oats, salt, brown sugar and butter. Add in milk mixture, then mix on medium speed until a shaggy dough forms. Increase speed a bit and knead the dough for 5-6 minutes, until smooth. Remove from mixer and add to a well-oiled bowl, then cover and let rise in a warm place for 1 hour.

Remove dough and form it into a log, then place it in a greased 9×5 loaf pan. Cover the dough with oiled plastic wrap and let rise for another 90 minutes, until it’s 1-2 inches above the rim of the pan.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Once hot, bake dough for 35-40 minutes until golden on top. Remove and let cool completely. Eat! Note: I used a slightly larger loaf pan because it was all I had – if you use the called-for 9×5 pan, the loaf will be typically taller.

But now I’m going to have a BLT for breakfast. I think.

61 Responses to “Whole Wheat Oatmeal Sandwich Bread.”

Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers — June 18, 2012 @ 6:57 am

Oh yum! I LOVE this bread, healthy and delicious!! I can’t wait to make this one next! But I just have to wait for the 100 degree temperatures to drop!! To hot to bake! :( Happy Monday to you!!

Oh, and love the picture with the avocado on it!! Avocado is my newest addiction!!

Open kitchen magazine — June 18, 2012 @ 7:01 am

“Here for you the sixth issue of Open Kitchen Magazine, our on line food magazine.
    Browse it for free:

we are waiting for you!
    Don’t forget that you can also become part of our international team in the next issue.
    Open Kitchen Magazine Team “

Meg @ Peaches and Cake — June 18, 2012 @ 7:05 am

Totally! Anything homemade is better for you! This looks good. And don’t worry about not making a sandwich, the size of your loaf looks totally better suited for toast anyway!

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey — June 18, 2012 @ 7:23 am

I’ma horrible sandiwch maker too – my problem is I want more than one combination. I usually end up with two open faced sandwiches so I don’t use like 10 pieces of bread.

• Jessica — June 18th, 2012 @ 10:29 am

Same.

Jen @ keepitsimplefoods — June 18, 2012 @ 7:26 am

I am not big on baking bread because it’s usually more trouble than it’s worth. But this recipe looks tasty!

Heather O — June 18, 2012 @ 7:32 am

I was literally just looking for a whole wheat bread recipe last night. Thanks thanks!

Stephanie — June 18, 2012 @ 7:42 am

BLT for breakfast? put an egg on it! when i was in Tennessee for work (boooo) instead of the typical bacon egg and cheese breakfast sammie (or pork roll egg and cheese, jersey style), they did BLT with egg. (like straight up BLT, mayo and all) i was skeptical at first, but it’s actually awesome. dooooo it.

luv what you do — June 18, 2012 @ 7:44 am

What a beautiful bread! I am always looking for healthy alternatives for sandwiches besides the store bought bread, so this will be great. I tend to always spread hummus or jelly on my toast!

Lauren at Keep It Sweet — June 18, 2012 @ 7:50 am

I love the idea of making homemade bread to have on hand but have never done it… time to give it a try!

Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles — June 18, 2012 @ 7:50 am

I’m no good with the sandwich thing either- you’re not alone on that one…. If I’m going to have a sandwich, I’ll let someone else make it. :)
    Smashed avocado. Mmmmm!

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat — June 18, 2012 @ 7:52 am

This is beautiful!! I’m actually going to make it very very soon, and I say that about several recipes but I’m not lying this time! Do you think the bread flour could be substituted for whole wheat bread flour? I bought lots of it last time I had great intentions of making bread and… well, didn’t. If not it’s ok… I have to go to the grocery store anyway to get some avocadoes for schmearing! :)

• Jessica — June 18th, 2012 @ 10:28 am

Probably! You may need a little more water? I’m really not familiar with bread enough to know for sure. I didn’t even know whole wheat bread flour exists because I’ve never seen it!!

Jill — June 18, 2012 @ 8:14 am

Ooooh, this bread looks fabulous! Yum!

Cookbook Queen — June 18, 2012 @ 8:49 am

Lately, I want no part about sandwiches unless it is a blt or club.

I guess bacon is a requirement for me.

I could def go for some avocado toast, though!! (P.S. I tried avocado ice cream yesterday…totally NOT gross!!!)

• Jessica — June 18th, 2012 @ 10:28 am

I need it!!

Lynne @ 365 Days of Baking — June 18, 2012 @ 8:56 am

Yup, now I have the urge to bake some bread today, not to make a sandwich, but just so I can play with the dough. Also, the smell and taste of bread made from scratch is the best!
    Thanks, Jessica, for the motivation!

carrie — June 18, 2012 @ 8:59 am

i feel that way nearly every time i think i want a pb and j. instead i just end up with copious spoon fulls of peanut butter in my mouth. bread?? what bread?

Gen — June 18, 2012 @ 9:10 am

Yuum!!!I’ve never made loaf bread before….this looks like a perfect recipe to try! Thanks!

Ashley — June 18, 2012 @ 9:20 am

Totally with you on the avocado toast. I’m hooked!!!! The bread looks perfect.

Laura — June 18, 2012 @ 9:35 am

I love bread and that stuff looks legit yummy. So next time I’m feeling extra Martha Stewart-y, I’m going to bang out this bread. (Because baking with yeast always makes me feel like a for real baker or something.)

Heather (Heather's Dish) — June 18, 2012 @ 9:46 am

i really need my avocados to hurry up and ripen – avocado toast sounds like heaven!

Ashley @ My Food 'N' Fitness Diaries — June 18, 2012 @ 10:04 am

yum. smashed avocado on bread is one of my favorite snacks/meals EVER.

Sommer@ASpicyPerspective — June 18, 2012 @ 10:06 am

Nothing wrong with a BLT for breakfast, or this gorgeous bread!!

Amanda @ The Dormestic Goddess — June 18, 2012 @ 10:07 am

I have been obsessed with poaching eggs lately! They’re like nature’s perfect salad dressing, is that weird? Probably. And avocados. To die. You should try both with some bbq pulled pork. It sounds crazy, but totally works!

Cookin' Canuck — June 18, 2012 @ 10:22 am

I’m an open-faced sandwich kind of gal, too…especially with smashed avocados. This bread looks perfect for “real” sandwiches or something a little more impromptu.

Brian @ A Thought For Food — June 18, 2012 @ 10:26 am

This looks amazing! I’ve been buying a lot of bread recently… need to get on making my own because it is just so much better!

Kim in MD — June 18, 2012 @ 10:34 am

This bread looks delicious, Jessica!

ellenbcookery — June 18, 2012 @ 10:53 am

I like your version of a sandwich! Open faced. The bread looks delicious!

Red Star Yeast — June 18, 2012 @ 10:54 am

This bread would taste great with my chicken salad I made yesterday! Looks so moist & yummy :) -Linda@RSY

allie@sweetpotatobites — June 18, 2012 @ 11:00 am

i love open faced sandwiches – and this recipe looks so good and easy to make!

Rebekah — June 18, 2012 @ 11:01 am

Can you make this bread if you don’t have an electric mixer?

Meghan @ After the Ivy League — June 18, 2012 @ 11:03 am

Why not a BLT with a healthy smear of avocado? You can have your cake and eat it too!

Katie — June 18, 2012 @ 11:15 am

How did you know I had BLTs on the menu for tonight?! Now I have to get hoppin and make some bread…thaaaank you.

Cait's Plate — June 18, 2012 @ 11:27 am

Oh heck yes! This is right up my alley. I want this as part of my egg sandwich in the morning and part of my turkey sandwich at lunch and as buns for my burger at dinner!

janetha @ meals & moves — June 18, 2012 @ 11:38 am

yum. i told marshall that i have to have a breadervention, though. i have been eating it like six times a day. this recipe is not helping me at all.

HeatherChristo — June 18, 2012 @ 11:43 am

I want this right now slathered in Peanut butter and Jelly.

Ashley @ Wishes and Dishes — June 18, 2012 @ 11:48 am

Yeast breads scare me but I think maybe I can handle this one! Looks too good not to try. And I am with you on the avocado thing…obsessed… :)

• Robert Dolan — June 19th, 2012 @ 6:59 am

Have you tried using a bread making machine? You can get some healthy mixes and add your own yeast and whatever liquid you like. Or substitute overripe bananas for the liquid. You will be a real baker within hours. Good luck!

Moni Meals — June 18, 2012 @ 11:51 am

Yum, this would make any sandwich or any meal of the day-just take off to perfection. Can’t be beat…that fresh bread!
    I’m thinking more peanut butter or nutella myself. But avocado is also a great call.

JulieD — June 18, 2012 @ 11:53 am

I love making sandwiches and grilled cheeses…now making actual bread scares me…I want to try your recipe!

Ashley Bee (Quarter Life Crisis Cuisine) — June 18, 2012 @ 12:32 pm

Perfect! I’d love to make my own sandwich bread but the idea scares me. This looks so do-able though!

Averie @ Averie Cooks — June 18, 2012 @ 1:04 pm

Beautiful bread! That is something I never make. I really should start. But until then, I will ooh and ahh at your pretty bread:)

Kelly — June 18, 2012 @ 1:43 pm

I love homemade bread but have actually never made it myself…go figure. I used to date a guy in college whose mom would make homemade bread and she would send it to him all the time. I think at one point I kept dating him just for that dang bread.

Bev Weidner — June 18, 2012 @ 2:45 pm

I just want to mash that avocado on my tongue.

Eileen — June 18, 2012 @ 2:58 pm

Hey, bread with mashed avocado is so a sandwich! It’s just an open-faced sandwich. It’s all good. :)

Villy @ For the love of Feeding — June 18, 2012 @ 3:50 pm

A perfect loaf of bread, that’s what it is! The mashed avocado just completes the perfection.

Katrina — June 18, 2012 @ 5:39 pm

This looks so, so, fantastic! Love it!

april — June 18, 2012 @ 11:46 pm

I too think you should put a poached egg on your blt. Saw the recipe in cooking light and it was AWESOME! And I am a sandwich pro! It’s my go to thing for leftover meat and random veggies and lots of cheese!

teresa — June 19, 2012 @ 11:13 am

Excuse me!
    You’re making BREAD now?
    I can’t take it!
    xo

Amanda — June 19, 2012 @ 2:15 pm

Omg I love this!!!!! Can’t wait to try!!! Plus, I love avocado on toast it’s the best!!!

Meme — June 19, 2012 @ 10:53 pm

ooh I love making bread but it’s so hard to find a good one that isn’t full of white flour. I can’t wait to try this!!

Vicky @ Ursine Cuisine — June 20, 2012 @ 3:16 am

My favourite sandwich of all time is chicken, bacon and avocado – maybe there’s a compromise in there for you – slather on the avocado, then you still get more ingredients and one of them is BACON! :)

Alison — October 19, 2012 @ 12:00 pm

Hm…do you have a 5 quart mixer or a 6 quart? Because it wasn’t enough dough to reach my dough hook. I ended up kneading by hand. Not a problem, but next time I’ll probably double the recipe because I’m LAZY.

1. Pingback: Made It & Liked It