Oh oh oh… totally did something kinda random.

I made a fudgesicle… in a giant baking dish… and scraped it with a fork. And added more chocolate. Then called it a granita because I have no idea what I’m doing and like to butcher classic recipes all because I pretend to know exactly what I’m doing. It’s the only way I make it through this little thing I call life.

A few days ago one of my favorite gals in the world shared some coconut fudgesicles (I KNOW RIGHT), and in true Jessica fashion when anything chocolate or coconut crosses my path… I couldn’t get the idea out of my head.

I mean, not at all. It was all I could think about. I have like, an obsessive personality or something. Who woulda thought?

But I didn’t have any popsicle mold thingies. Well, I mean… I actually do, but I have no idea where they are. It’s very possible they are at the bottom of my bottomless pit bag-lady purse. Because that houses, well… everything. Including my entire life in the form of lip gloss, cheap Target earrings and those annoying magazine subscription postcards that fall out mid-read of the magazines I spend countless dollars on without ever subscribing to in real life.

So… fudgesicles

In the form of cute little chopped crumbles of super creamy, cocoa-y ice cream like morsels. It’s sort of like fudgesicle Dippin Dots. Easy, quick, no-bake, and my personal favorite: COLD. Perfect for those hot summer days when your face is melting off.

It happens people.

Fudgesicle Granitas

[inspired by katie, lightly adapted from this fudgesicle recipe]

serves 2-4

1/3 cup granulated sugar

2 tablespoons flour

2 1/2 cups light canned coconut milk (about 1 1/2 cans)

2 1/2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

1 1/2 tablespoons salted butter

Heat a saucepan over low heat and add sugar, flour, cocoa and coconut milk. Whisk until combined and sugar has somewhat dissolved, then increase the heat to medium and cook for about 10-12 minutes, stirring often, so the mixture thickens a bit.

Remove from heat and stir in vanilla and butter, then pour mixture into a 9×13 baking dish. Freeze for 4 hours, then remove and scrape with a fork (if mixture is still soft, freeze longer until frozen then scrape). Freeze for another hour then scrape with a fork again. Freeze for 4 more hours (or overnight), then serve immediately with a garnish of chocolate chips.

Also noteworthy here: peanut butter chips. And toasted coconut. And crushed pretzels. Do this all.

81 Responses to “Fudgesicle Granitas.”

Ali @ Peaches and Football — July 10, 2012 @ 6:55 am

Oh, this will be done. The face-melting weather is approaching again and it may never leave. I’ve purchased stock in deep walk-in refrigerators (the commercial kind) and I’m planning on eating my fudgesicle pieces (complete with peanut butter chips, thank-you-very-much) while sitting in a lounge chair in my refrigerator.

Making these wouldn’t be hard… but I need to find a way to get the walk-in inside my apartment…

Claire @ Live and Love to Eat — July 10, 2012 @ 7:02 am

Or magic shell topping, of any sort. Mmmm.

Rodzilla — July 10, 2012 @ 7:07 am

awesome. I want to try it with coconut oil in place of butter, not sure what it would do to the texture, it might turn out more magic shell-esq.

Mary-Where's the Zoom — July 10, 2012 @ 7:13 am

Why, oh why, did I pick this week to do a sugar detox? 1/3 cup isn’t that much….right?

tania@mykitchenstories.com.au — July 10, 2012 @ 7:15 am

Hey, hudly any of us know what we’re doing…. so that makes you extremely experienced and good at fugsicles etc. They look great.

Jen @ keepitsimplefoods — July 10, 2012 @ 7:18 am

NICE! I like the vintage fudgesicle flair.

Aimee @ ShugarySweets — July 10, 2012 @ 7:30 am

Holy Heck this looks way better than the weight wathers fudge bar I ate last night!!!!!

Annie @ What's Annie Making? — July 10, 2012 @ 7:34 am

I think we must have the same purse! Mine usually has a few bills in it too that I get out of the mail, shove in because I’m carrying too much, and then forget about. Oh, and a fudgsicle that’s like dipping’ dots – sold.

Sarena (The Non Dairy Queen) — July 10, 2012 @ 7:39 am

Yeah, this one is definitely going to be made here this weekend! we have company coming over to go out on the lake and this will be perfect for our evening cool down treat!

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat — July 10, 2012 @ 7:41 am

Oooooh yes! I thought most granitas had a fruit and ice base, but I have absolutely no complaints about your version!

Chris — July 10, 2012 @ 7:43 am

Umm..whoa! That looks like giant bowl of awesome. Must make this!

Katie — July 10, 2012 @ 7:44 am

Yeah, your version looks less stressful. Getting those little popsicles to pop out of their molds without breaking nearly sent me over the edge. I’m making yours next time. Love youuuuu.

Quiche-ing Queen — July 10, 2012 @ 7:49 am

Oh my! I have to try this for my son. He would love it.

Liz — July 10, 2012 @ 7:58 am

I’m speechless (well, almost) – I’m LOVING this fudgesicle/granita fusion.

Villy @ For the love of Feeding — July 10, 2012 @ 8:11 am

I can also throw some cherries on it and call it fruit snack. If enough of it makes it through the scraping of course….

Sahra — July 10, 2012 @ 8:25 am

Wow looks so refreshing and delicious!!

Elizabeth @ The Bare Midriff — July 10, 2012 @ 8:41 am

I LOVE the pink bowl against the chocolate – very appealing!

Devon | The Food Bitch Blog — July 10, 2012 @ 8:45 am

Why is it all I could think about was pouring a little Kahlua on top of this? YUM.

Kelly — July 10, 2012 @ 8:55 am

Niiiiiiiiice!

The Mrs @ Success Along the Weigh — July 10, 2012 @ 8:58 am

Mmm, yes please! I don’t care what you call it, I’ll make it!

Joelle (on a pink typewriter) — July 10, 2012 @ 9:11 am

I need this in my life right this second. In place of today’s morning coffee maybe.

Rachel {Studio Cuisine} — July 10, 2012 @ 9:26 am

Chocolate heaven. Enough said.

Erika - The Teenage Taste — July 10, 2012 @ 9:33 am

Butchered recipe or not, these granitas look ah-mazing! I already feel a chocolate craving coming on…

Heidi @ Bits of Sunshine — July 10, 2012 @ 9:37 am

This looks like pure happiness in a bowl!

Cait's Plate — July 10, 2012 @ 9:42 am

“peanut butter chips. And toasted coconut. And crushed pretzels. Do this all.” <— yes. i will. and perhaps all at once!

Lauren — July 10, 2012 @ 9:46 am

I. DIE.

Megan {Country Cleaver} — July 10, 2012 @ 9:47 am

This is legit on so many levels – most particularly to prevent the rampant face-melting that is sweeping the nation. You’ve done a public service. Well done, Jess. :)

JulieD — July 10, 2012 @ 9:48 am

Wow, this looks amazing…I love coconut milk and pairing it with chocolate. Now I won’t be able to stop thinking about this!

Bethany — July 10, 2012 @ 9:54 am

These look wonderful, and a great, lighter alternative to other summery treats.

Alyssa — July 10, 2012 @ 9:56 am

yum!!! I could eat this all summer and be totally ok with that!

ellenbcookery — July 10, 2012 @ 9:59 am

Oh my, this looks soooooo good!

Vicki @ WITK — July 10, 2012 @ 10:11 am

This is an excellent idea. That way I can eat the whole dish and it’s cool because it’s not like I ate six fudgesicles!

Iris — July 10, 2012 @ 10:11 am

Ughhhh want to put my whole face in that bowl. Looks SO good. Making this!

Stephanie — July 10, 2012 @ 10:12 am

Another great recipe for the scorching days ahead. Thanks!

Lynne @ 365 Days of Baking — July 10, 2012 @ 10:26 am

Ok, I’m in! I’ve been craving and seeing quite a few granitas and have come up with a flavor I want to try, but THIS is absolutely perfect!!!! I also think it’s because I’m PMS-ing and craving chocolate pretty badly, too. But fudgesicles have always been one of my weaknesses.
    Going to see “Magic Mike” tonight with a friend. maybe I missed you talking about it, but have you seen it yet? Not overly thrilled about going and would rather see something else or spend the money on props for food styling (I must now be a true blogger, eh?). I think it’s because of my disappointment that Matthew McConaughy is now married. DANG!!! I think he’s so hot and was so pissed when he was taken off the market!! Not that this middle-aged woman (yikes, did I just refer to myself as middle aged???!!!) would have a chance with him, but just knowing there’s now absolutely NO chance, just sends me into a n heightened state of PMS. Tonight should be fun as I sit there and think of the “could have beens”. Wish me luck.
    Yowza, sorry for the rant! I haven’t even had any coffee. Yes, it must be the hormones… ;-)

• Jessica — July 10th, 2012 @ 4:07 pm

Umm… I saw it, and thought it was awesome. I mean, you have to go into it with zero expectations and just look at it like a complete joke (like 50 Shades of Grey) because it totally is. Channing is awesome… I used to love Matthew but OMG… I thought he was such a creep in the movie. Tell me what you think! :)

Liz @ Tip Top Shape — July 10, 2012 @ 10:35 am

Ooohh this looks amazing!!!

Ryan @ Spicy Richmond — July 10, 2012 @ 10:55 am

Love fudgesicles! But add in some coconut and that takes it to a whole new level!

brandi — July 10, 2012 @ 10:59 am

my summers used to be measured in fudgsicles. this is happening. soon.

Kim in MD — July 10, 2012 @ 11:10 am

I haven’t had a fudgesicle since I was a kid. I think this could be a adult only version if you added some chocolate or coffee liquer! ;-)

Heather (Heather's Dish) — July 10, 2012 @ 11:15 am

need. this. now. with all of the toppings listed below PLUS maybe some strawberry sauce. or hot fudge. or caramel.

hell, maybe some of all of it!

Jane — July 10, 2012 @ 11:18 am

YES. OMG Yes. I will be making this tonight because we go through Fudgsicles like my boyfriend and I are kids on the playground. Plus all the add ins are phenomenal!

PS LOVE your blog – I’ve been following for a while, just now commenting. Holy delicious stuff, Batman. Feel free to bounce over to SJC, SJR to check out my throw-together recipes :)

• Jessica — July 10th, 2012 @ 4:06 pm

Thanks Jane!

Kristen @ notsodomesticated — July 10, 2012 @ 11:21 am

I love that you DIDN’T use popsicle molds, because a lot of us don’t have those. This, on the other hand, is something that anyone could make!

• Jessica — July 10th, 2012 @ 4:06 pm

Or some of us do have them and can’t find them to save their life… like me. :)

Brooke — July 10, 2012 @ 11:28 am

OH MY GOSH. I love you. First off: this kinda reminds me of an ice cream. And for those lazy people out there (such as myself) who don’t want to run out to the store and actually spend money on an ice cream machine, this is PERFECT. Second: I love how you didnt use Popsicle molds. Genius. Third: I love how you suggest to add just about every single item of food I love into them. I’m pretty sure that I’m going to make this tonight.. YAY

Claire — July 10, 2012 @ 11:59 am

I am going to get canned coconut milk on my lunch break so I can have this in my face by 6PM tonight.

Ashley@BakerbyNature — July 10, 2012 @ 12:26 pm

Seriously… how can I not make this?! Adding it to the list!!

Averie @ Averie Cooks — July 10, 2012 @ 12:50 pm

Looks fabulous and I realized recently that a granita was my old school, no ice cream maker, bastardized way of coconut milk “ice cream” that I’d basically just freeze coconut milk, agave, etc and then sort of scrape it out. I can feel fancier about my flakes and shavings calling it a granita. This sounds perfect!

Theresa — July 10, 2012 @ 12:58 pm

love chocolate, not a fan of coconut. maybe i could use low fat milk or yogurt, what do you think?

• Jessica — July 10th, 2012 @ 4:05 pm

It doesn’t taste like coconut, but if you’d still like to use something else, I’d go for whole milk or even half and half – something thick and creamy like the coconut milk. The low fat milk would be too watery and the yogurt wouldn’t be liquidy enough? At least I don’t think.

anna — July 10, 2012 @ 1:38 pm

Looks fantastic! Might be a dumb question but..does the coconut milk make it taste like..coconut? What would you recommend substituting (if it does)?

• Jessica — July 10th, 2012 @ 4:04 pm

I didn’t think so at all! If you wanted to sub, I’d probably do a whole milk or something super creamy.

Avery @ Texas Teen Keeps Lean — July 10, 2012 @ 1:53 pm

Oh my gosh….I REEEAAALLY want chocolate now. Looks amazing!

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — July 10, 2012 @ 2:04 pm

Fudgesicles are my favourite cold summer treat, and this looks even better than a molded fudgesicle.

1. Pingback: Boozy Watermelon Granitas with Coconut Whipped Cream | How Sweet It Is