I know this looks sort of… different.

Grilled Blueberry Chicken Skewers with Coconut Rice I howsweeteats.com

But think of it as your 8th grade mood ring.

A quick google search reminded me that a deep violet color (which, uh… we are saying this is) translates to feelings of extreme happiness, passion, romance and love.

And I can easily stand behind that mood. I definitely felt super romantic and passionate after eating this chicken. Intense.love.affair. In my mouth.

Grilled Blueberry Chicken Skewers with Coconut Rice I howsweeteats.com

Yeah sooo… you may have noticed that I can’t stop with the blueberries. Like, seriously can’t stop at all. Every single thing I come up with, I’m like ‘Oh! I can add blueberries to that!’

False.

You should not add blueberries to your scrambled eggs. I may have learned this the hard way.

But.

Grilled Blueberry Chicken Skewers with Coconut Rice I howsweeteats.com

You can add blueberries to your chicken. Yes yes yes.

You can soak your chicken in blueberries! Like, blueberries mashed up to pieces. It’s sort of like blueberry salsa. Then grill that whole shebang up and serve it over coconut rice. Yesssss. Serious coconut rice. I’ve had the idea of creamy coconut rice stuck in my head ever since Alysa (faaaaahhhbulous blog) told me she was making it with my toasted sesame glazed salmon. OMG. So good, right? Unlike Gretchen Weiner and fetch, coconut rice was happening.

Grilled Blueberry Chicken Skewers with Coconut Rice I howsweeteats.com

You can make it happen too, if you’d like to be weird and add fruit to your chicken. Be weird with me! I need companions.

Grilled Blueberry Chicken Skewers with Coconut Rice I howsweeteats.com

Grilled Blueberry Chicken Skewers

serves 4

4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts

1 teaspoon salt

1 teaspoon pepper

1 cup fresh blueberries

2 tablespoons olive oil

2 garlic cloves, chopped

1 tablespoon red wine vinegar

1 lime, zested and juiced

1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil

1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro

Cut chicken into 1 or 2-inch chunks, then season with salt and pepper. Add chicken to a baking dish or large ziplock bag. In the bowl of a food processor (or blender), add blueberries, olive oil, lime juice + zest, vinegar, garlic, basil and cilantro. Blend until smooth, then add mixture into bag or on top of chicken in a dish, coating evenly. Refrigerate and marinate for 2-24 hours.

At least 30 minutes before grilling, soak your skewers (if they are bamboo) in water for 30 minutes to prevent them from charring. Preheat your grill to the mid to highest setting (or what you tend to grill your chicken at). Take each skewer and slide 4-5 pieces of chicken on. Grill for 3-4 minutes per side, gently flipping 2-3 times until chicken is cooked through. Chicken will appear charred because of the dark blueberry color, but will not be overdone! Serve over coconut rice with a sprinkling of freshly chopped herbs.

Coconut Rice

1 cup uncooked jasmine rice

1 cup light, canned coconut milk

3/4 cup coconut water

1/2 teaspoon salt

3 tablespoons unsweetened, flaked coconut

1 tablespoon coconut oil, measured in solid form

2 tablespoons unsweetened, flaked coconut, toasted

Heat a saucepan over medium-high heat and add rice, coconut milk, coconut water, salt and 3 tablespoons of coconut. Stir, then bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer, cover and let cook for 15-18 minutes, until liquid is absorbed. Fluff with a fork, then stir in coconut oil. Top with toasted coconut before serving.

Note: you may want to double check the directions on your bag of rice before cooking – I often use brown jasmine rice which can take a little longer to cook than white jasmine.

Grilled Blueberry Chicken Skewers with Coconut Rice I howsweeteats.com

I’d like seconds thankyouverymuch.

79 Responses to “Grilled Blueberry Chicken Skewers with Coconut Rice.”

Ali @ Peaches and Football — July 16, 2012 @ 7:01 am

I’m a huge fan of coconut rice – especially once I found out how absolutely ridiculously easy it is to make. Luv!

Lori @ RecipeGirl — July 16, 2012 @ 7:03 am

I’m pretty sure I’d love those chicken skewers, but I’m a big fan of coconut rice too. Looks like a great meal all around!

Averie @ Averie Cooks — July 16, 2012 @ 7:06 am

blueberries and coconut make everything better!

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat — July 16, 2012 @ 7:55 am

I’ll join you on those seconds!!! This sounds awesome. I’m definitely going to take your word for it on the blueberry-egg combo. ;) I love putting fruit with meats in the summer. If you happen to eat your grocery store out of blueberries, I highly recommend moving on to blackberries… then make some Balsamic Blackberry Smothered Chicken like this: http://bit.ly/Mlv6x4. I’m sure it would probably work with blueberries too!

Rodzilla — July 16, 2012 @ 7:59 am

I trust you enough to try it.

Ali @ Gimme Some Oven — July 16, 2012 @ 8:03 am

Love the blueberry idea!! Especially with coconut rice — sounds like the perfect combo!

Heather (Heather's Dish) — July 16, 2012 @ 8:04 am

I’ll be weird with you! Chicken + blueberries = love

Lynne @ 365 Days of Baking — July 16, 2012 @ 8:33 am

Wow – I really like that idea of blueberries and chicken!
    Yeah, blueberries and scrambled eggs, not so much.
    Oh, and that movie…Channing had the moves man, and he’s turned me into a fan. OMG!!!
    Matthew…ICK!
    I REALLY didn’t like his character, but that’s what they were going for. Just the thought of him stripping in front of me made my skin crawl. *shudders*
    But overall, I thought it was good and was glad I went to see it. I’m not so sure what the three skateboarding type teenage boys thought of it who watched it with us, but I thought it was interesting they were there. I guess everyone likes a good movie. ;-)

Kelly — July 16, 2012 @ 8:42 am

Looks like another brilliant winner!! :) Blueberries are definitely my favorite berry…hands down no competition. :)

Valarie — July 16, 2012 @ 8:46 am

BAHAHAHA!!!! I LOVE Mean Girls! “And that’s how Regina George died,,,” NOT by eating this awesomely looking recipe, but, you know, by walking in front of a school bus…or so they say. I have to try this!

Kim in MD — July 16, 2012 @ 8:52 am

Yum! The chicken and the rice look and sound crazy delicious! I’m going to be weird with you and make this meal! ;-)

Devon | The Food Bitch Blog — July 16, 2012 @ 9:10 am

Awesome. Now all I want in life is coconut rice & its 9 am & I’m suck at my desk. Sigh.

Cait's Plate — July 16, 2012 @ 9:13 am

I’m obsessed with blueberries right now as well. So much so, that I’d even be willing to try chicken smothered in mashed blueberries :)

Cookin' Canuck — July 16, 2012 @ 9:34 am

My mood ring is reading “Very happy” just looking at this. Blueberries and coconut…magical combination!

Katie — July 16, 2012 @ 9:39 am

Come make dinner for me tonight. Puuuhleeeeze?!?

sally @ sallys baking addiction — July 16, 2012 @ 9:51 am

blueberries and coconut – a fab combination! the violet/blue colored chicken doesn’t scare me! Just like a mood ring, you are right. :)

Megan {Country Cleaver} — July 16, 2012 @ 9:54 am

Blueberries and chicken is so FETCH. Yeah, I said it. Gretchen Weiners did get that one right. Or I’m just as equally uncool as her… whatevs. I want this party in my mouth. Now.

Cate — July 16, 2012 @ 10:07 am

Fetch! I had almost forgotten about that! The chicken looks soooo good!

Ari@ThE DiVa DiSh — July 16, 2012 @ 10:38 am

Those two flavors sound so perfect together, and SUCH a great alternative to regular chicken.
    And is it weird that I think blueberries would go with eggs? haha :) Maybe like a blueberry sauce or jam on an egg and cheese sandwich? Yummm I’m pregnant and hungry….

• Jessica — July 16th, 2012 @ 10:47 am

Blueberry jam, yes! I love jam with eggs. :)

Christin — July 16, 2012 @ 10:49 am

this looks beyond amazing. beyond!

Stephanie — July 16, 2012 @ 10:52 am

Love Coconut Rice. Although I’ve never made it with flaked coconut added in before..

ellenbcookery — July 16, 2012 @ 10:59 am

I love being introduced to new recipes. Thanks for sharing!

Amy @ What Jew Wanna Eat — July 16, 2012 @ 11:02 am

Ooh you had me at blueberry. And coconut. And chicken.

Liz — July 16, 2012 @ 11:19 am

Oooh, I always like the mix of sweet & savory!

Love the mood ring reference :D

Liz @ Tip Top Shape — July 16, 2012 @ 11:21 am

Looks great!!

Sommer@ASpicyPerspective — July 16, 2012 @ 11:34 am

You know, I’ve had blueberry rubbed ribs, so why not chicken. I’m all in!!

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — July 16, 2012 @ 11:42 am

Looks good to me – different is good :-)

Ashley — July 16, 2012 @ 12:19 pm

I’m also obsessed with blueberries this season. You definitely need to add them to your avocado toast with goat cheese on top. I LOVE creamy coconut rice. Try it with short grain brown rice…even creamier!!

Cammy — July 16, 2012 @ 12:50 pm

Never comment but had to let you know scrambled eggs and blueberries are awesome!! Brown some coconut in coconut oil and butter, pour in your beat eggs with a smashed banana, vanilla, some coconut milk mixed in with them. Scramble and add blueberries near the end just to warm them and get soft then sprinkle with coconut on top. Just enough sweetness for my breakfast. Try it!

Ashley @ Wishes and Dishes — July 16, 2012 @ 1:34 pm

Yum – love the incorporation of blueberries lately :) And coconut rice?! Can’t wait to try this…

Sharla — July 16, 2012 @ 1:48 pm

Oh thank you, thank you!!! I was looking for a chicken recipe using blueberries this weekend. Can’t wait to try this :)

Amanda D. — July 16, 2012 @ 3:23 pm

I happen to have everything on hand to make this, I know what I am having for dinner tonight! :-)

Kristen — July 16, 2012 @ 3:32 pm

Coconut quinoa? I think that needs to happen…

Katie @ Blonde Ambition — July 16, 2012 @ 4:18 pm

Oooh that sounds delectable!! I absolutely love making coconut rice, it’s really simple but totally a crowd pleaser! I love tricking people into thinking I have skills when all it takes is a bit of coconut milk and shredded coconut ;P

joelle (on a pink typewriter) — July 16, 2012 @ 4:26 pm

This sounds kind of fantastic in a weird way, and reminds me of the big blueberry gum-chewing girl from Willy Wonka for some really bizarre reason. I have no idea why those two got connected in my head reading this post…

• Jessica — July 17th, 2012 @ 7:50 am

Ha!

Jenna — July 16, 2012 @ 5:41 pm

Hey. You!
    Move to Maine. We specialize in blueberries.
    (And lobster.)
    (We have lobster ice cream. Support culinary quirkiness!)

• Jessica — July 17th, 2012 @ 7:50 am

Sounds like my DREAM.

Jacqueline — July 16, 2012 @ 5:50 pm

Sounds so strange but so good! I’m so curious that I’ll have to try this one out.

Annie @ What's Annie Making? — July 16, 2012 @ 5:58 pm

This looks incredible!!! I’m totally on the fruity chicken train, and I have some blueberries waiting to be used up right now. Convenient :)

Moni Meals — July 16, 2012 @ 6:00 pm

I am so all over that sticky Coconut rice, good Lord! Yum!!

Twinkle Teacher — July 16, 2012 @ 6:23 pm

How do you even come UP with this stuff?!?! I’m vegetarian, but live in a house full of berry and meat lovers. Looks delish and I’ll toss some veg on the rice and wa-la! Happy all around. And that’s what I’m all about. ;)

The Meaning of Me — July 16, 2012 @ 6:29 pm

Have to try this – looks amazing and so different. If the Husband likes this, he will no longer be able to say he doesn’t like fruit.

Breanne — July 16, 2012 @ 6:33 pm

If it makes you feel less weird, I totally marinated my chicken in a blackberry/basil/balsamic puree. It was divine.

Velvet — July 16, 2012 @ 6:35 pm

Coconut what now? Maaaaan I’m going to have to try this rice with both your skewers AND the glazed salmon. Like I needed more excuses to consume rice…

Quiche-ing Queen — July 16, 2012 @ 8:36 pm

I made pecan crusted pork tenderloins with a blackberry reduction once and that was amazing so I can imagine the whole chicken with fruit especially blueberries would be just as amazing. I haven’t made coconut rice since I was pregnant and that was over 4 years ago.

• Jessica — July 17th, 2012 @ 7:45 am

I think it’s time for you to make it again! :)

Sam @ Better With Sprinkles — July 16, 2012 @ 8:46 pm

Chicken and blueberries are an awesome combination – I always put the two on salads. Actually having the blueberries made into a glaze sounds amazing.

Kylie @ immaeatthat — July 16, 2012 @ 9:32 pm

Ooo I’ve been loving coconut everything lately. I just ate 5+ dollars worth of coconut frozen yogurt the other day…it was magical. Can’t wait to try out this rice:) However, I do have some serious coconut haters in my life that I’ve been told I’m related to but I have my doubts…I mean what kind of (crazy) person hates coconut?! Oh well, more for me. Thank you thank you for the great recipe:)!

• Jessica — July 17th, 2012 @ 7:44 am

Lots of coconut haters in my life too. Don’t know what they’re missing.

Brianne @ Cupcakes & Kale Chips — July 16, 2012 @ 10:45 pm

I am crazy like you – http://cupcakesandkalechips.com/2012/04/04/grilled-chicken-berry-salad-with-goat-cheese-pecans-and-blueberry-balsamic-vinaigrette-recipe/

You may even like the salad I make – bury a little greens in a bunch of meat and fruit and nuts and cheese.

I’ll have to try the blueberry chicken with some coconut rice. Yum!

Alishalynn_ — July 16, 2012 @ 11:04 pm

Coconut rice is amazing. You should consider adding orange zest and chili oil to yours. It gives it a little kick. I also normally make a lot, and then throw it in a skillet to heat it up, this makes it crunchy on the outside, which is awesome and delicious.

• Jessica — July 17th, 2012 @ 7:44 am

Love that idea – thanks!

JulieD — July 16, 2012 @ 11:11 pm

Love this…never would have thought to marinate chicken in blueberries! And I need coconut rice in my life!

j3nn — July 17, 2012 @ 1:19 am

I need to try blueberries in a savory dish sometime.

1. Pingback: Healthy Way To Cook Blueberry recipes: how to use 4 pints of blueberries in 2 days - Healthy Way To Cook

2. Pingback: Brown Jasmine Coconut Rice | Yeah…imma eat that.

3. Pingback: Barrels of Blueberries!