I know this looks sort of… different.

Grilled Blueberry Chicken Skewers with Coconut Rice I howsweeteats.com

But think of it as your 8th grade mood ring.

A quick google search reminded me that a deep violet color (which, uh… we are saying this is) translates to feelings of extreme happiness, passion, romance and love.

And I can easily stand behind that mood. I definitely felt super romantic and passionate after eating this chicken. Intense.love.affair. In my mouth.

Grilled Blueberry Chicken Skewers with Coconut Rice I howsweeteats.com

Yeah sooo… you may have noticed that I can’t stop with the blueberries. Like, seriously can’t stop at all. Every single thing I come up with, I’m like ‘Oh! I can add blueberries to that!’

False.

You should not add blueberries to your scrambled eggs. I may have learned this the hard way.

But.

Grilled Blueberry Chicken Skewers with Coconut Rice I howsweeteats.com

You can add blueberries to your chicken. Yes yes yes.

You can soak your chicken in blueberries! Like, blueberries mashed up to pieces. It’s sort of like blueberry salsa. Then grill that whole shebang up and serve it over coconut rice. Yesssss. Serious coconut rice. I’ve had the idea of creamy coconut rice stuck in my head ever since Alysa (faaaaahhhbulous blog) told me she was making it with my toasted sesame glazed salmon. OMG. So good, right? Unlike Gretchen Weiner and fetch, coconut rice was happening.

Grilled Blueberry Chicken Skewers with Coconut Rice I howsweeteats.com

You can make it happen too, if you’d like to be weird and add fruit to your chicken. Be weird with me! I need companions.

Grilled Blueberry Chicken Skewers with Coconut Rice I howsweeteats.com

Grilled Blueberry Chicken Skewers

serves 4

4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts

1 teaspoon salt

1 teaspoon pepper

1 cup fresh blueberries

2 tablespoons olive oil

2 garlic cloves, chopped

1 tablespoon red wine vinegar

1 lime, zested and juiced

1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil

1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro

Cut chicken into 1 or 2-inch chunks, then season with salt and pepper. Add chicken to a baking dish or large ziplock bag. In the bowl of a food processor (or blender), add blueberries, olive oil, lime juice + zest, vinegar, garlic, basil and cilantro. Blend until smooth, then add mixture into bag or on top of chicken in a dish, coating evenly. Refrigerate and marinate for 2-24 hours.

At least 30 minutes before grilling, soak your skewers (if they are bamboo) in water for 30 minutes to prevent them from charring. Preheat your grill to the mid to highest setting (or what you tend to grill your chicken at). Take each skewer and slide 4-5 pieces of chicken on. Grill for 3-4 minutes per side, gently flipping 2-3 times until chicken is cooked through. Chicken will appear charred because of the dark blueberry color, but will not be overdone! Serve over coconut rice with a sprinkling of freshly chopped herbs.

Coconut Rice

1 cup uncooked jasmine rice

1 cup light, canned coconut milk

3/4 cup coconut water

1/2 teaspoon salt

3 tablespoons unsweetened, flaked coconut

1 tablespoon coconut oil, measured in solid form

2 tablespoons unsweetened, flaked coconut, toasted

Heat a saucepan over medium-high heat and add rice, coconut milk, coconut water, salt and 3 tablespoons of coconut. Stir, then bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer, cover and let cook for 15-18 minutes, until liquid is absorbed. Fluff with a fork, then stir in coconut oil. Top with toasted coconut before serving.

Note: you may want to double check the directions on your bag of rice before cooking – I often use brown jasmine rice which can take a little longer to cook than white jasmine.

Grilled Blueberry Chicken Skewers with Coconut Rice I howsweeteats.com

I’d like seconds thankyouverymuch.

79 Responses to “Grilled Blueberry Chicken Skewers with Coconut Rice.”

Georgia — July 17, 2012 @ 2:10 am

I am very new to your blog but I already LOVE this recipe. I might even have to make it within the next few days :)

Kiki — July 17, 2012 @ 2:10 am

you can crumble feta on blueberries…SO GOOD

Jessica@AKitchenAddiction — July 17, 2012 @ 9:59 am

This is such a great idea!! Definitely need to try it!

Coco — July 17, 2012 @ 11:47 am

What a combo. Love the coconut rice. So tropical-islandy!

Jennifer — July 17, 2012 @ 3:23 pm

Hi Jessica, Blueberry companion here! My favorite part of spring/summer is the bounty of fresh fruit, herbs, and produce that are available, and the magnitude of magic they enable us to wield in the kitchen…

And the blueberries have been yummier than ever this year :) Super sweet, pop-in-your-mouth, aaahh, think I’ll go grab a handful! I’m writing a post for Orange Blueberry glazed pork tenderloin and a Blueberry Pineapple-Sage Cocktail to drink with.

I see you’re a coconut fan too. Just started using coconut oil, which I love, have not tried coc. water, but the cream and milk are delish in both savory and sweet dishes. Thanks for another tasty blueberry idea!

Bethany @ Accidental Intentions — July 17, 2012 @ 4:09 pm

Oh gosh, I hate to be the one to have to point this out to you, but you made a pretty bad typo in your first sentence. You said “different,” when I’m pretty sure you meant “delicious.” At least, that’s what I thought when I saw it. Also, coconut rice is so bomb. My aunt introduced our family to it last year for Mother’s and/or Father’s Day, and now we’re all obsessed.

• Julie — August 10th, 2012 @ 3:29 pm

Nope, I’m thinking she was right in saying “different”. Black chicken looks different to me. Although it is delicious, I’ll have to agree that she really meant different.

angela@spinachtiger — July 17, 2012 @ 5:09 pm

I like this idea. I’ve done blackberries with steak, blueberries with meatballs, why not blueberries with chicken. I wanted to say hello, as I’m going to be on the Ohio tour and saw you on the list today. Should be fun.

Lauren — July 18, 2012 @ 2:51 am

Hello!

This weekend i’m throwing a lunch for all my friends and i’m planning on making this recipe. it looks really great! Because everyone is bringing his or hers favourite dish, i’m only gonna make the chicken.
    Can you recommend any sauce with that? Or isnt sauce neccesary?

i’ve been following your blog for over a year now, and i really enjoy your writing, recipes and pictures!

Love from Holland

Katrina (GF Gidget) — July 18, 2012 @ 6:00 am

Shut-up with this sauce!

Caz Wilson — July 18, 2012 @ 11:17 pm

I love that you did blueberries and chicken – I did it one day out of pure desperation as frozen blueberries and a thawed chicken breast was all I had in the entire house! This looks a gazillion times better than my attempt that’s for sure!

Kimme P — July 21, 2012 @ 9:27 pm

Made this recipe for dinner today…The chicken was super moist & delicious!! The coconut rice was a big hit with the family!! Thank you for the wonderful recipe.
    Tomorrow I will be making your Hot Blueberry Cheddar dip to enjoy poolside, with some wine, of course!!

Nicole @ Healthy Way to Cook — July 23, 2012 @ 12:03 pm

I tried this and it turned out amazing! Who’d have thought blueberries and chicken could get along so very well? http://www.healthywaytocook.com/2012/07/23/blueberry-recipes/

Hannah Waddell — July 23, 2012 @ 6:17 pm

How do you always know exactly what my heart and stomach want to eat? I wondered on here of course wanting a quick and delicious recipe for dinner, hoping to possibly, maybe, somehow combine chicken and blueberries. No joke, I had this idea. And then, bam! You’ve already perfected it for me! Thanks so much, off to cook!

Jeff — July 24, 2012 @ 11:20 am

You know, I wasn’t buying off on this right away but after I smelled it and tasted it, I pretty much wanted to lick my grill clean…if it wasn’t so blazing hot. I mean, I do need my tongue intact. Anywho, I posted about it on my little corner of the web and expressed my undying affection for you…rrrrrr site because that’s how I roll. Thanks for the recipe and hope you are enjoying vaca! Cheers!

Lauren A. @ Newest Obsession — July 31, 2012 @ 12:02 pm

I made this last night and it was fabulous! It was a nice change from the usual chicken kabobs and the flavors were all spot on. Thank you for sharing!

Stylish_yogi — December 4, 2013 @ 12:11 pm

I Love LOVE the idea and theme behind this recipe but im currently looking to replace my grill, is there anyway i can pull this recipe off w/o it? Say, using just the oven?i sure hope so! Lol thanx :)

Anna — January 29, 2014 @ 3:45 pm

I follow you on Pinterest and was so excited when I saw this recipe. I was trying to decide what to make for dinner tonight and this is just what I was looking for! :)