Some things in life make sense.

Chocolate and peanut butter. Budgets. Highly expensive yet impractical shoes. Fireplaces on chilly nights and cold ocean waves on steamy ones. Turquoise jewelry. Having a weird yet not inappropriate dad-like crush on Steve Martin. Neon.

And some things in life don’t.

Flats. Skinny jeans. Broccoli. Unfluffed pillows.

You know… just to name a few.

And even though I just KNOW what you’re thinking, that bubbly cheese and blueberries belong right up there next to pants that flatter your figure like a lovely stuffed sausage, I’m throwing them in the sensible category. And you’ve gotta trust me.

I envisioned this dip for DAYS and it was the weirdest thing: all I could think about were the blueberries bursting just like they do inside of blueberry pancakes, muffins and coffee cake. You know how I am. Straight up obsessed.

This is, um… so not a pancake, muffin or coffee cake. It’s an actual bowl of cheese with blueberries smashed inside, just begging to blow open and bleed blue and purple into the whitest cheddar you’ve ever seen. I know right?

And while it may not do much for you alone (though I am never above eating such a thing with a spoon), when blanketed on top of super crisp, golden bread? It makes all the difference. It becomes the slice of parm topped with a dried apricot or the strawberry jam melting over a pile of brie. I mean, not literally. Duh. But it is JUST LIKE THAT. It is so stupidly simple yet so gourmet tasting. It makes you feel like… super important. Rich. Elegant. Like you don’t even deserve such a thing when you totally do.

And really… you totally do. I’m the best influence ever.

Hot Blueberry Cheddar Dip with Toasty Bread

serves 2-4

1 (8-ounce) block of cream cheese, softened

8 ounces white cheddar cheese, freshly grated

1/4 teaspoon nutmeg

1 heaping cup of fresh blueberries

1 loaf of french bread, sliced

2-3 tablespoons olive oil

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Place two oven racks on the middle and lower level. Slice bread and place on a baking sheet, drizzling it with olive oil.

In a bowl, mix cream cheese with grated cheddar and nutmeg. Fold in blueberries. Place in an oven-safe dish, then set on the top oven rack. Bake for 30-35 minutes, or until cheese is hot, golden and bubbly, and blueberries and bursting. At the 20 minute mark, place baking sheet with bread on the lower rack  to toast, checking and tossing every 4-5 minutes. Serve immediately! With white wine, of course.

P.S. wine is required.

113 Responses to “Hot Blueberry Cheddar Dip with Toasty Bread.”

Heather (Heather's Dish) — July 11, 2012 @ 6:56 am

In dying over here. I want!

Ali @ Peaches and Football — July 11, 2012 @ 6:57 am

What a fun and different appetizer idea – and so much more colorful than the usual baked brie!

Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles — July 11, 2012 @ 7:12 am

How delicious! Just look at that gooey deliciousness!

Nicky @ Pink Recipe Box — July 11, 2012 @ 7:26 am

I would have never come up with this combo myself. Genius! I just have to try it.

Elizabeth @ The Bare Midriff — July 11, 2012 @ 7:26 am

I thought I was the only one with a weird crush on Steve Martin…

Never would have thought of blueberries and cheddar – thanks for this!

Annie @ What's Annie Making? — July 11, 2012 @ 7:38 am

Divine! I love cheddar with nectarines on toast too, so I’ll have to try this. And budgets don’t make sense to me ;)

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat — July 11, 2012 @ 8:01 am

I’d never put blueberries and cheese together, but it’s this sort of thing that reminds me why I think you’re awesome Jess! And now I’m all curious and am just going to have to try this… ;) PS. Snap on the turquoite jewellery…. I’m currently wearing a turquoise coloured ring.

Kim in MD — July 11, 2012 @ 8:02 am

You come up with the craziest food combinations, and I always love them! This sounds delicious, and I would have never thought to pair blueberries with cheddar cheese!

Kristen @ notsodomesticated — July 11, 2012 @ 8:20 am

Wow. This is when I get really impressed with you. I never in a million years would have thought of this, yet now it seems so obvious and amazing!

yifat — July 11, 2012 @ 8:21 am

I’m sooooo gonna try it!

Chelsy — July 11, 2012 @ 8:22 am

Wine is definitely on my list with this…maybe a good moscato! Oh, and if putting cranberries in brie is genius, then this must be like mondo genius! Love it!

The Mrs @ Success Along the Weigh — July 11, 2012 @ 8:26 am

“Having a weird yet not inappropriate dad-like crush on Steve Martin.”

I KNEW I wasn’t the only one!!

Amanda at the red table — July 11, 2012 @ 8:32 am

What a great idea — I bet this IS fantastic. And so pretty, too.

And…a dad-like crush on Steve Martin — hilarious. (and totally legit)

Katie @ ohshineon — July 11, 2012 @ 8:48 am

My mind is totally blown right now.

Kelly — July 11, 2012 @ 8:49 am

Sounds great to me! But I like cheese with just about anything. Specifically I really like swiss cheese and almond butter. Don’t ask…but I have been eating swiss cheese and almond butter sandwiches for probably 10 years. ha! So cheddar and blueberries…sounds totally normal. Totally.

M. Vivian — July 11, 2012 @ 9:01 am

This is an insanely fabulous idea. I want it for breakfast… with wine.

Claire @ Live and Love to Eat — July 11, 2012 @ 9:05 am

Seriously unique combination – but you can’t go wrong with sweet and savory. Mmm.

Leila — July 11, 2012 @ 9:18 am

I am TOTALLY down for white cheddar and blueberries. I don’t even LIKE blueberries all that much! But this recipe is definitely making me wanna cook… I might have to make this with all kinds of cheese/fruit combinations!

Jessica L. — July 11, 2012 @ 9:20 am

oh my gosh, why are your pictures so gorgeous?! that one of the cheese stringing off of the bread? amazing. I want to shove my face in that bowl.

Madeleine @ Teenie Baker — July 11, 2012 @ 9:58 am

My dad likes pb & cheddar sandwiches. I know, weird right? This looks really good though! I love blueberries.

Adrienne @ Midwestern Belle — July 11, 2012 @ 10:02 am

Ohh I just went blueberry picking and need something to do with the fruits of my labor. This looks perfect!!!

Cait's Plate — July 11, 2012 @ 10:31 am

I JUST used my blueberries this morning for waffles. I guess this is just another reason to go out and buy more :)

Amber @ Slim Pickin's Kitchen — July 11, 2012 @ 10:31 am

Holy shiz. This looks like pure heaven to me. It totally makes sense!

Sandra — July 11, 2012 @ 10:38 am

I just recently came clean to my friends about my crush on Steve Martin. I knew I couldn’t be the only woman my age who felt this way. :)

j3nn — July 11, 2012 @ 10:40 am

That sounds SO GOOD! I love sweet and savory combos like this. Wish my hubby did so that we can have stuff in the house without the “burden” being on me to eat it all. ;)

April — July 11, 2012 @ 10:48 am

what an awesome idea! I have never seen this before, it looks delicious!

sally @ sallys baking addiction — July 11, 2012 @ 10:55 am

I hate skinny jeans and I love every NEON. And i love fruit + brie, so this spin off cheesy amazingness looks incredible to me. I have never seen such a dip before! fruits+ cheese are a match made in heaven!

allie@sweetpotatobites.com — July 11, 2012 @ 11:02 am

this sounds really good! i’m always a fan of the sweet and savory.

Liz @ Tip Top Shape — July 11, 2012 @ 11:18 am

Such a unique recipe!

Erin — July 11, 2012 @ 11:18 am

I think white cheddar and blueberries are a perfect match! Good thing you introduced them to eachother.

Chelsea@Chelsea Is Dishing Up — July 11, 2012 @ 11:20 am

Love! My inappropriate older-guy crush is on Brian Williams. His Jersey-ness drives me wild!

JulieD — July 11, 2012 @ 11:21 am

Wow, love this!!! Im obsessed with blueberries too!

Christina — July 11, 2012 @ 11:48 am

Shut. it. down. It’s kind of like eating pie with a slice of cheddar cheese but waaay more decadent. And wine is always required…except when margaritas are required.

Twinkle Teacher — July 11, 2012 @ 11:55 am

I like how budgets and fancy expensive shoes are mentioned right next to each other.

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — July 11, 2012 @ 12:01 pm

I really want to try this combo!!! And … what do you have against skinny jeans? ;-)

Michelle — July 11, 2012 @ 12:24 pm

You are absolutely the best influence. Cheese and fruit are totally BFFs always and forever.

Katie — July 11, 2012 @ 12:36 pm

I am in. With the wind, with the blueberries, with the cheese. Count me in for allllll of it.

Sam @ Better With Sprinkles — July 11, 2012 @ 12:38 pm

That’s definitely high on the list of sounds-so-weird-but-must-try sort of things.

So odd, but sounds delicious when you think about it. Anything involving blueberries makes me happy.

Averie @ Averie Cooks — July 11, 2012 @ 12:51 pm

Fruit and cheese is wonderful..that’s why fancy restaurants and wineries pair it all together (and with wine, even better). Looks awesome!

Mary @ Bake Break — July 11, 2012 @ 1:01 pm

are you kidding me!? THIS IS AWESOME. I’m plotting ways to sneak home for lunch just to make this ASAP.

Ali @ Around the VeggieTable — July 11, 2012 @ 1:26 pm

This is weird. I like it.

Ashley Bee @ Quarter Life Crisis Cuisine — July 11, 2012 @ 2:05 pm

Omg. This is the dip DREAMS are made of! I love love cheese with fruit, and this gives both in one hearty scoop :)

Jacqueline — July 11, 2012 @ 2:28 pm

Reading this blog every day: makes sense. Not caring about the resulting drool on the keyboard: also makes sense.

honeywhatscooking — July 11, 2012 @ 2:29 pm

that’s interesting.
    i’ll have to try it.

themeaniongofme — July 11, 2012 @ 2:47 pm

Looks completely reasonable to me. Can’t wait to try it!

Krystal — July 11, 2012 @ 2:53 pm

Funny you happened to come up with this. There is a place about an hour south of Kansas City called Osceola Cheese and I just got some white cheddar with blueberry. It is sooooo good. They have over 200 different cheeses.

Katie @ Blonde Ambition — July 11, 2012 @ 3:02 pm

For the first time ever, I was really iffy on this one…until the part about the wine. This sounds like it would be INCREEEDIBLE with a nice fruity wine.

Stephanie — July 11, 2012 @ 3:04 pm

you make me so hungry. i have cheddar and wine (obvi) at home….

i’ll just stop and get some blueberries cream cheese and bread and poof. dinner.

Katrina — July 11, 2012 @ 3:56 pm

This is so unique! Love it!

Heather — July 11, 2012 @ 4:22 pm

Oh. My. Drool. I really can’t think of anything else to say! It looks so delish!

1. Pingback: Country Cleaver » Roasted Tomato Brie Dip

2. Pingback: Weekly eats « soundZtastee

3. Pingback: Obnoctiously Delicious « A Tasty Life

4. Pingback: LISTS: 3 Savory & Sweet Dip Recipes | M.L.T.S. Magazine

5. Pingback: 135 Recipes for Football Season | How Sweet It Is

6. Pingback: As far as yesterday goes…more of this | ejmcb

7. Pingback: blueberries & lasagna — camp1899

8. Pingback: What I Wish I Was Making For Thanksgiving « oh so decadent

9. Pingback: Friday Food Foto - Jardinière lunch with Marcus Samuelsson - Misadventures with Andi

10. Pingback: I KNOW ITS WINTER BUT… – CARTOGRAPHIES OF TASTE

11. Pingback: Yeah, I Pretty Much Had The Best Birthday Ever. | Irreverent Escapades

12. Pingback: Blueberry Cheddar Dip | life • love • lemons

13. Pingback: Hot Blueberry Cheddar Dip Recipe - Smarty Party Recipes

14. Pingback: 6 Delicious Things You've Never Done With Cheese - Bourbon & Boots

15. Pingback: Blueberry Cheddar Dip - life • love • lemons

16. Pingback: Blueberry Cheddar Dip with Apples | Recipe Runway

17. Pingback: Hot Blueberry Cheddar Dip Recipe - Smarty Had A Party Blog

18. Pingback: Hidden Ponies – Party Appetizer Round-Up

19. Pingback: Make It a Meal Monday: Warm Blueberry Cheese Dip | The Undomestic Goddess

20. Pingback: 40 Uber-Cheesy Dip Recipes (P.S. They're all meatless, too!) | Kitchen Treaty

21. Pingback: Every Super Bowl Party Recipe You'll Ever Need - What Dress Code?

22. Pingback: Hot Smoked Gouda Strawberry Cheese Dip - The Kitchen Paper